General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Black Firebombs are better than the Master Key on your first time through.

What are those useful for?
    Odradek said:

Equipment load is important. You want to stay below 50% of your max for a good dodge roll.

Sorcery scales with intelligence, Miracles scale with Faith, Pyromancy gets stronger as you upgrade your flame with a trainer.

If you aren't making progress in an area, try exploring somewhere else. Dark Souls is practically a Metroidvania.

As soon as you can, buy a shield with 100% block from a merchant. The relevant shield stat is Stability not damage.

Experiment with weapons. Find a move set you like.

Don't level up Resistance

Attunement controls your spell slots

If you see a man trapped in a barrel, roll to free him, don't attack.

Three NPCs are murderous liars. Have fun figuring out which ones.

Read item descriptions. Even keys.

Alright. thanks a bunch.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-07-01 00:35:52
    Tre said:

good job! :D

the last three are gonna kick your ass, so get excited :P

They're much easier if you realize your jump goes a lot further if you do it while run-attacking.  A couple of the more questionable jumps are far more merciful that way.  And it's non-optional in Land of the Livid Dead.

Also, just finished Oath in Felghana Nightmare boss rush.  Main sequence took about 2 1/2 hours (Galbalan on second try!  WOOT), and I beat my head against Berhardt for another one before finally taking him down -- which is less than some of the bosses in the rush itself!  Unlocked Debug, went back to my Very Easy file, and used it to ding the level 60 achievement in five seconds.

Gonna take a brief break from the game, then liveblog Inferno on this forum.
  • Shovel Knight lives up to its hype, if you like platformers go buy it.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Shovel Knight looks fun.
  • I might do Shovel Knight when it's a bit less $$$

$10 does not a $15 game purchase
  • Miko said:

Shovel Knight looks fun.

it is

although Miko, you're kind of a difficulty purist, so the easy-by-the-genre's-standards early game might not appeal to you as much

my understanding is that it gets very difficult later on though

it also reminds me a lot of Mega Man 2, and IIRC, you like the Mega Man series, so there's that.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I used to like Mega Man a lot even though its quality was inconsistent. The Zero series is perfect though imo. Also I don't mind breezing through early levels, just as long as there is good substance later.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I like Shovel Knight.

But I have a low patience threshold, so I can't get past the tutorial.
  • man, if I can beat the first couple levels, anyone can.
  • First impression of Dark Souls: Very fun, very aggravating and very hard. Yeah, I knew going in that it had a reputation for being hard, but it's another thing to actually play it. Kinda makes me miss the DMC games. At least you got to keep your pool of souls and just retry the level in them. I died a lot and lost a good bit of souls, and I'm kind of really miffed about it. Still, very fun, but definitely not the kind of game I should be playing at three in the morning.
  • recouping soul losses in the first game is pretty easy, and you don't need them for a whole lot.

let me know when you get to a swamp
  • edited 2014-07-01 14:38:37

recouping soul losses in the first game is pretty easy, and you don't need them for a whole lot.

let me know when you get to a swamp

Yeah, I just keep fucking myself by going too fast and dying by stupid mistakes or just forgetting about enemies and they come up behind me and kill me while I'm fighting another guy.

Lost another 6000 souls like that just today.

Also, does anyone know how to get past the dragon at the end of the Undead Burg? He just keeps sitting there and breathing fire on me.
  • edited 2014-07-01 14:39:52
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Keep to the right hand side, and run like hell until you get to a groove with some steps in it. Get down those steps ASAP.
  • The best Mega Man games, IMO, include MM 4-6, the Unlimited fan game, MMX1-3, and MMZX.  Maybe some BN games but I haven't familiarized myself much with them.
  • Keep to the right hand side, and run like hell until you get to a groove with some steps in it. Get down those steps ASAP.

Okay, what do I do after I get down those steps. I kicked the ladder down and got back to the bonfire, but I'm not sure what to after that.
  • edited 2014-07-01 14:51:38
    I think I will wait until Shovel Knight shows up in a bundle or on sale on the Humble Store.  That way I can get DRM-free and Steam key.

Best place to get older games from big-name publishers: GOG
    Best place to get newer games from big publishers: GOG if available, Steam if not
    Best place to get indie games: various bundles, or Humble store -- the idea here is to get both a DRM-free copy and a Steam key (or a promise of a Steam key, for games that are not yet on Steam)
  • edited 2014-07-01 14:57:48
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Keep to the right hand side, and run like hell until you get to a groove with some steps in it. Get down those steps ASAP.

Okay, what do I do after I get down those steps. I kicked the ladder down and got back to the bonfire, but I'm not sure what to after that.
    Go back up the ladder. There's a narrow ledge that leads to the next area just outside the room at the bottom of the steps.
  • Keep to the right hand side, and run like hell until you get to a groove with some steps in it. Get down those steps ASAP.

Go back up the ladder. There's a narrow ledge that leads to the next area just outside the room at the bottom of the steps.
    Okay, thanks. I completely missed that room.
  • edited 2014-07-01 17:59:15

So after 20 or some odd tries and wasting all three of the gold pine resin I found, I still haven't fucking beating the bell gargoyles. Not to mention all the lost souls. I'm thinking of just deleting my character and starting over.

So is this normal, or am I just suck at this game?
  • judging from the tales of countless others, that is totally normal
  • My dreams exceed my real life

So after 20 or some odd tries and wasting all three of the gold pine resin I found, I still haven't fucking beating the bell gargoyles. Not to mention all the lost souls. I'm thinking of just deleting my character and starting over.

The Gargoyles are one of two big difficulty walls in Dark Souls. They are there to make absolutely sure that you know how to play the game.

You can cheese the Gargoyles with NPC summons, but you cannot cheese the second wall.
  • well

you could once upon a time, but good luck finding a summon in the first Dark Souls now.
    NPC summons, I said.
  • but you cannot cheese the second wall.
    i was referring to this
  • edited 2014-07-02 17:05:46
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Gigyas is pretty cool, but it is kinda lame that people do not talk about the other parts of the game that much.

The game being Earthbound.
  • People occasionally talk about Mr. Saturns.
  • Also, you should all play 100% Orange Juice.
  • Odradek said:

The Gargoyles are one of two big difficulty walls in Dark Souls. They are there to make absolutely sure that you know how to play the game.

You can cheese the Gargoyles with NPC summons, but you cannot cheese the second wall.
    Yeah, I can see that. Did beat them though. Using a Bastard Sword instead of a halberd and upgrading my armor helped.

Now I keep getting my ass kicked by the Stray Demon.
  • Also, you should all play 100% Orange Juice.

side chickens

Odradek said:

Yeah, I can see that. Did beat them though. Using a Bastard Sword instead of a halberd and upgrading my armor helped.

You should not be fighting him yet by any means.

Go find Lower Undead Burg.
  • Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Did all that already. Got through everything up to Blighttown. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Did all that already. Got through everything up to Blighttown. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.
    The reward for Stray Demon is just an upgrade item, and you can go around him.

If you still wanna beat him now, try a Bleed weapon.
  • Did you find and fight the boss of the Blighttown Swamp?

also look for a tree down there.

Did you find and fight the boss of the Blighttown Swamp?

Is it really a good idea to go down there now? The climb back is murder without the Lordvessel
  • Did you find and fight the boss of the Blighttown Swamp?

No, not yet. I'm mainly at the Undead Sanctuary because I heard the Rusted Iron Ring helps you move around in the swamp.
    Odradek said:

The reward for Stray Demon is just an upgrade item, and you can go around him.

If you still wanna beat him now, try a Bleed weapon.
    Oh, You can? That helps a lot.

I'll keep that in mind. Any weapons in particular you would recommend?
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

Also, you should all play 100% Orange Juice.

Stupid Chapter 3 of Suguri's campaign grumble grumble
  • Beat the Stray Demon last night. As it turns out, Stripping to your skivvies gives you a lot of extra mobility. So yeah, I beat a Demon to death in my underewear. Not gonna lie, after how much trouble he gave me, it feels kind of good on a humiliation level.

Went ahead and cleared Blighttown. The Quelaag fight was actually the first time I remember to restore my humanity and use an NPC summon. Those actually help a lot. Also, found out that Lautrec was one of the three murderous NPC.

Beat the Stray Demon last night. As it turns out, Stripping to your skivvies gives you a lot of extra mobility. So yeah, I beat a Demon to death in my underewear. Not gonna lie, after how much trouble he gave me, it feels kind of good on a humiliation level.

Went ahead and cleared Blighttown. The Quelaag fight was actually the first time I remember to restore my humanity and use an NPC summon. Those actually help a lot. Also, found out that Lautrec was one of the three murderous NPC.

You can talk to the giant loch ness monster thing that has now appeared in Firelink, and he's a very useful NPC.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Anybody ever play any Nippon Ichi games?

I'm playing Disgaea 3 right now and I love some of the new additions to the series. (Well, new for me. I know D3 is pretty old at this point)

Except class world. It's made skill inheritance 5 times harder and I'm not a fan of that.
    Between me and my gf, we probably have like 300+ hours in Disgaea 1.
  • edited 2014-07-03 17:58:36
    Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    I've always liked Nippon Ichi's name. It's like an American company named USA USA USA
  • "Nippon Ichi" is a name that I dare not mention in front of anyone who doesn't exactly like Japan.
  • So I bought the latest Weekly Bundle and now I have a spare copy of Antichamber for whoever wants it...
    Backed.
  • Playing through Wind Waker HD.

There may come a day where the trip to Hyrule Castle doesn't amaze me, but that day is not today.
  • I think I might steal that format to write about what I thought of Tiny and Big and maybe BattleBlock Theater as well

cuz I liked that post
  • thanks!

I made some other ones but I guess I didn't tag them, can't find them now.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Wow, those were actually really good. The one about Vagante actually made me want to "buy" it.