General Video Game Thread

Comments

• More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    lol
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    btw I am a person who regularly spends 20 dollars or more on a game that can technically be "finished" in less than an hour.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ...oh :(
    Although, I find it sad that the only digital release of Hellsinker was a temporary bundle offer. More people need to play this game because it is awesome.
    but if bundles are so bad for developers, why do so many developers agree to participate?
  • Because most indie devs are in a situation where any sales are good sales.

Or, the game in question has made its developer well off enough that they can afford to not care (eg. Super Meatboy showing up in bundles constantly).
    thing is, for me, I very rarely buy video games at all, and would only buy like 1 or 2 games a year even when I was super into them and spent most of my free time on them (often replaying the same games over)

so although I have kind of felt RPGMaker would be a nice thing to have for a very long time, I never intended to actually get it because it costs more than I can afford to throw away on something that's just 'nice' to have... I don't have a job, I'm on a student budget, I can do without

so when my brother (who is himself trying to become an indie developer) told me it was in the humble bundle, I couldn't believe my luck
  • edited 2014-06-04 11:00:07
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i already did

days ago

and now i feel bad
  • RPGMaker is not an indie game (and is in fact not a game at all), so that's not really the sort of thing I'm talking about.

More, people who refuse to buy like, Among The Sleep because it's "too expensive for a horror game".
  • also the people behind RPGMaker are jerks.
  • edited 2014-06-04 11:04:51
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^^ OK...

^ what have the people behind RPGMaker done?

I'm really not much into games at all, so sorry if this is common knowledge
  • It's not actually

I have heard from Nick / RockLeeSmile that while their Youtube policy is not quite as bad as Nintendo's they tend to act like douchebags to content creators.

It's the kind of thing that leaves a sour taste in one's mouth.
    Don't feel bad Tachyon.

Anyway, I have bought a lot of games at discount prices, and special sales actually encourage people to buy games they might not have bought otherwise. After all, we don't have unlimited money to spend, even on video games. When more people buy a game, it gains exposure, and thus, more people who might have otherwise never seen it become interested in it and buy it. Also the "all sales are good" thing. In my opinion, if you buy a game instead of pirating it, you are supporting the developer (as well as the publisher and/or release platform, but that is a different story, and indie games can often be bought directly from the developer's site).

With that said, I do notice the disappointing trend that some people will expect video games to be as cheap as sweets (for example, professional reviews complaining that 15 - 20 dollars is too much for a lengthy, professionally-made RPG, or for a beautiful and versatile danmaku title). Even if the difference isn't by a factor of ten, it is significant when people expect games to be 5 dollars that could have been 20. It costs money to publish a video game, even if the development budget was zero (which it rarely is, I imagine). Games are worth money. They don't grow on trees. They take effort, skill, and resources to create.
  • also people complaining To The Moon was too expensive and refusing to buy Receiver because the alpha was free.

it's good to support developers regardless of how you do it, but unless you're really strapped for cash (and some folks are, and I've been in that position myself), it's best to buy it at full price if possible to avoid contributing to the race to the bottom mentality.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Tangentially related, I saw one person who had a hateboner for FTL say that he didn't want to stop playing because he wanted his money's worth. The game is ten bucks. I haven't even played that much and I already think I've got more than my money's worth out of it.

This same person also liked other roguelikes that had the exact same traits he disliked in FTL, and then got banned from the Steam forums for calling someone a racist slur. Some people o_O
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Killer Sudoku is brutally hard
    Sudoku is hard. :o
  • 1. In case no one has yet gotten the message: RPG Maker VX Ace and RPG Maker XP and other stuff, on Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly - less than a day left!

2. @Miko: there are also people who think that "basic" games with 2-button controls somehow inherently have a low value: http://steamcommunity.com/app/237630/discussions/0/648814845523510575/
    "6 dollars is too much because it isn't 3D" L O L some people.
  • edited 2014-06-04 16:44:19
    Well, the guy has half a point.

On one hand, he's observing that market pricing currently doesn't value 2D games or simple controls as much 3D games or complex controls.  Which is entirely true.  And on this basis he's advising people to save their money -- which is a good suggestion.

(Though I'd argue he's neglecting the fact that this is a high-profile title with two big-name companies (Capcom and Disney) behind it and quite a bit of name recognition (DuckTales is not obscure at all), and it's got a big fan-following, which means it'll be at least a couple or so years before they drop the price to even $3.)

On the other hand, the way he states it is not that the market values it as such, but that it's somehow inherently worth less.  If you read one of my last posts in the thread (beyond this long chain of posts by one person because the OP kept deleting his own posts), you'll notice the number of times the OP has made a point about how the game is "basic" or "simple" or for "kids" or is "2-button".

Best part of it, is that early on, the OP rebuffs arguments that the development process put in a lot of work and thus the game ought to be valued more, by saying that it doesn't matter how many people worked on it.  But then later, OP argues that this game could be made in a garage, implying it does matter.
  • edited 2014-06-04 16:53:28
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    At least some people in that thread are saying that it is worth its price. I shouldn't waste my time refuting the OP's argument though, OP is obviously ignorant of most of gaming's history.
    And for that matter, good 2D games.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Spore is going for 4.99 on Steam.

Oh how the mighty art fallen.
    oh, I meant the OP, not the posters. whoops. Sorry! But yes, OP is ignorant of all the awesome 2D games throughout history.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's been out for 6 years.
    lol isn't Spore that game that people pirated *after* buying because the DRM was so crippling?
  • Well, to be a devil's advocate for a moment, I think part of that OP's perspective might be one strongly rooted in gameplay -- like, what can I as a player do to interact with the play environment, move things around, make things, break things, rearrange things, jump around, shoot or throw or kick or punch things, what sorts of strategic decisions there are, should I storm the castle early or build my own wall first, etc..

In that sense, no, the game is not particularly deep.

What gives DuckTales Remastered its meaning is not the gameplay itself, directly, but the context in which it is placed.  One could make an equivalent game with equivalent objectives, strip out the cutscenes and the object art and backgrounds/foregrounds, replace the object art with functional hitbox displays, remove all the music, and so on, and the result would be an entirely different game, devoid of meaning.

So yes, as a platformer, it's relatively simple.  But the point isn't that the game lets you twist and turn like a pro in a platforming UI.  The point is that it uses platforming as a means by which to present a story and narrative.
  • Incidentally, my conclusion in my above post is somewhat related to my theory about the difference between "tinkering" and "experiencing" gaming styles.
    Visuals and sound are part of a game's appeal, for me, but I don't think a game needs to have a lot of ways to interact with its environment in order to be complex or interesting, especially in games with more abstract mechanics.
    Incidentally, my conclusion in my above post is somewhat related to my
    theory about the difference between "tinkering" and "experiencing"
    gaming styles.
    I wonder what gaming style is of people who play arcade games for score? :v
    Hey Miko, how much do you like Contra-style games?
  • Probably closer to "tinkering", because of a focus on game mechanics.  After all, you're probably not playing Salamander or R-Type or Embodiment of Scarlet Devil for the 50th time just to re-experience the story or spectacle.

Perhaps I need a broader term than "tinkering" -- maybe something like "mechanicism", which has subtypes that include "accomplishment" and "tinkering".

It's just that I see a lot of "tinkering" gameplay from people who enjoy things like, "hey this game pretty accurately simulates my swinging a sword, from horseback, to attack people around me who are on foot, and I can even target other people on horseback by targetting them in certain ways that are pretty realistic" -- i.e. playing with the mechanics to see what they do.  This is also similar to "sandbox" games like Minecraft and Terraria as well as open-world RPGs.
  • That tinkering thing would encompass people who theorycraft on MMORPGs too, I think?

People get equivalently geeky working out the flight model in flight sims, too (and especially seeing if weird things happen if you push the envelope) or damage models in combat sims (e.g. tank combat or the like).
  • Going through my forgotten Humble Bundle purchases.

Dust: An Elysium's Tail is a fun game. They somehow made a cross between Midna and Navi whom I actually like. Even with her occasionally grating voice.
  • ^^ That sounds like it, though I'm not sure what you mean by theorycrafting.
  • Sniper Elite V2 is free on Steam today.
  • At least in the World of Warcraft community, it means trying to figure out and model the game's combat mechanics, generally for the purpose of developing and testing gameplay theories for methods of maximizing damage output (and to a lesser degree, healing output, damage reduction, etc).

People have written simulation engines for the purpose, SimulationCraft being the best known.

Some people use it because they are hardcore players, some people use and develop it because geeking out about combat mechanics is their thing.

• ^^ is this why the steam community was down a moment ago?
    Odradek said:

Hey Miko, how much do you like Contra-style games?

I enjoy them, but to me they are more fun with co-operative multiplayer because gravity limits the gameplay. ^_^
  • I can just imagine being systems-level support for Steam and being SO PISSED that they did a big freebie on already one of the busiest days of the year.

But that comes from doing that job, though not for Steam.
    p7uYUCp.png
  • I'm seriously hoping Ubisoft has something Michel Ancel-related on display on Monday

Rayman, BG&E2, some new project, whatever, I'll take anything

(stereotypical Tre statement is stereotypical)
  • Pretty hyped ngl