General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I have recently began playing Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos again (thank you, GMH!), and have put 44 minutes into it as opposed to just nine. I haven't played very many visual novels, admittedly (though I have many on my list), so this is pretty different from the usual. Anyway, I'm really liking how it's all playing out so far, even if I only know Winter Harrison, Cyrus Addington, and David.
  • First buy 999 for the DS or iPhone, then buy Virtue's Last Reward.
    I already have 999, I just set it down after my first bad ending, haha. Thanks for the reminder though, should pick it up again sometime soon. I haven't bought Virtue's Last Reward yet, but yes, it is on the list.
    Just played through Serena, and found it fairly enjoyable. It reminded me how much I really enjoy adventure point-and-click games, and point-and-click games in general, though I don't play them as much as I used to.
  • Crystal said:

I already have 999, I just set it down after my first bad ending, haha. Thanks for the reminder though, should pick it up again sometime soon. I haven't bought Virtue's Last Reward yet, but yes, it is on the list.

!!!

Wow!
    I'm confused. Why the exclamation marks and wow?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    This incredible, tough-as-nails danmaku shmup is coming to Steam. If you like this kind of stuff, get hype. :D

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/05/03/crimzon-clover-headed-to-steam/83646/

• BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Will Treasure release their other shmup on Steam too? :O
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Considering the success of Ikaruga, I think a release of its equally famous predecessor, Radiant Silvergun, is a strong possibility.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    :3

*Stares loudly at CAVE*
    *sneaks a little peek over in that direction too* 0w0
  • Doesn't Radiant Silvergun boast a soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto?
  • Crystal said:

I'm confused. Why the exclamation marks and wow?

Because someone else listened to my recommendation.
    I see. I thought I told you months ago, but I guess not! I'll probably drop my final thoughts here, whenever I get around to properly finishing it (I'm bad at finishing things).

Doesn't Radiant Silvergun boast a soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto?

As do several popular shmups.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
  • aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
  • I know no one here plays EU4 but I'm actually pretty pissed about the recent patch.

Literally all viable forms of expansion have been heavily nerfed, and there are a ton of bugs now (you can get rebel armies spawn that are larger than the maximum amount of troops your country can sustain, and terra incognita is sometimes just completely unexplorable, to name two examples), lastly, as The Timurids you now have to reform your government to change your nation to Moghulistan. This is ridiculous, because the only viable way to survive as the Timurids is to form Moghulistan as early as possible, while reforming a horde government is something that does not happen until quite late in the game.

Really, I'm starting to suspect that whoever's behind recent patches of EU4 is intent on pandering to historical accuracy fanatics and no one else. The same kind of people who get pissy about things in the game being unrealistic.
    • No longer possible to westernize if your only neighboring western provinces are trade companies
    PLAYING. AS. A NON WESTERN NATION. DID. NOT. NEED. TO. BE. HARDER.
  • edited 2014-06-03 00:07:20
    some things that i might like to try or play or finish or replay (for various reasons), but have not gotten around to

metroid prime
    99 levels to hell
    apple jack 1&2
    arkadianax
    bollywood wannabe
    breath of death vii
    cloudphobia
    croixleur sigma
    dawnstar
    depth hunter
    diadra empty
    divo
    dungeon defenders
    eleusis
    explodemon
    flying red barrel
    footlol
    gentrieve 2
    la-mulana
    laxius force
    lunar flight
    millennium
    oniken
    pineapple smash crew
    private infiltrator
    puzzle agent 2
    salvation prophecy
    the real texas
    underrail
    human tanks 1 - war of the human tanks
    weird worlds
    wooden sen'sey
    atelier annie
    black sigil
    flower sun and rain
    luminous arc
    mega man zx
    nostalgia
    radiant historia
    ragnarok ds
    sands of destruction
    scurge hive
    a witch's tale
    dragon quest monsters caravan heart
    metroid fusion
    shantae
    shining soul
    sword of mana
    tail 'gator
    tmnt radical rescue
    wario land 4?
    phantasy star (1? 2? 3? 4?)
    sylvan tale
    duck tales 2
    startropics
    castlevania symphony of the night
    final fantasy tactics
    lunar the silver star story
    mega man 8
    threads of fate
    dragon quest 2 - 6? 7? 8?
    earthbound (find someone else to introduce this to)
    star ocean
    super metroid
    terranigma (soul blazer? illusion of gaia?)
    zelda link to the past?
    99 spirits
    a valley without wind
    antichamber
    aquaria
    arma cold war assault
    aztaka
    bastion
    blade kitten
    cthulhu saves the world
    bunny must die
    chantelise
    darwinia
    deus ex
    dota 2 (but it's so freaking big and i don't expect to become a dedicated player...)
    dragon age origins
    drakensang
    d&d chronicles of mystara
    dredmor
    dust an elysian tale
    dustforce
    ether vapor remaster
    fortune summoners
    frozen synapse
    go home dinosaurs
    greed corp
    half minute hero
    hydrophobia prophecy (does not like my computer's specs so this doesn't really count)
    knytt underground
    left 4 dead 2
    mark of the ninja
    megabyte punch
    metro 2033
    narcissu 1st & 2nd
    nightsky
    one way heroics
    pickers
    pixeljunk een
    portal 2
    recettear
    rochard
    rock of ages
    sanctum
    civ 5
    slam bolt scrappers
    SPAZ
    starscape
    stealth bastard
    steel storm burning retribution
    to the moon
    torchlight (1 or 2)
    ultionus
    uplink
    wanderlust rebirth
    world end economica
    worms reloaded
    ys 2
    ys origin
    fallout
    FTL
    neverwinter nights 2
    retro city rampage
    strike suit zero (i dunno if my computer can handle this)
    witcher 2
    thief 1
    ever17
    gadget trial
    rockmen R
    septerra core
    rockman EXE WS
    skyborn
    metal slug 3
    symphony
    eve burst error
    the girl & the robot
    hunter's trophy 2 - america (i actually want to play this with a friend who has done hunting stuff and see what he thinks)
    the shivah
    syder arcade
    broken sword 2
    go go nippon (because how bad can it get?  shit, i just tempted fate)
    ticket to ride
    kamui
    frogatto & friends
    mirror's edge (again, my computer probably can't run this)
    aura fate of the ages
    hellsinker
    fibrillation
    HELLSINKER :O
  • That's a frighteningly long list.
  • this is what a couple years of buying bundles can do to you.
  • Rochard's decent enough. Nothing particularly brilliant, but it's competent and more-or-less entertaining.

Antichamber's the best weird that I've ever come across.

Mirror's Edge is a masterpiece. Metroid Prime somewhat less so (I never did particularly like ither of the explanations for the final boss), but still a masterpiece.

Half-Minute Hero has it's ups and downs, but the ups are way up and the downs aren't too down. It also has a good amount of gameplay content. Like, a lot of gameplay content.

• Antichamber is an amazing game that is a victim of its own hype.

It's probably the best weird gun puzzle game since Portal 2 but everyone expected it to be some enormous paradigm shift and it wasn't, so people got disappointed.

More recently the same thing has happened to Transistor and Watch_Dogs
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Metroid Prime is more of a masterpiece than Mirror's Edge

T. Videogames expert
    I'm boring because usually I only play shmups and RPGs. >_>
  • Shmups are like wine (or really any kind of booze), wherein I take peoples' word that there is a good deal of variety and different experiences that can be had, but mostly obstain myself.

RPGs depends on what kind of RPG.
    Ironically, you know more about shmups than most people here.
  • That's kind of hilarious honestly, because I'm awful at them and have no real desire to not be.

I kind of feel like you have to be really invested in a genre if it asks for a lot of your time. I'm super invested in 4X strategy games, which also demand a ton of your time (I would be willing to bet that we have comparable numbers of hours spent in various Touhou titles and Crusader Kings 2 respectively), but not so much in shmups, where I basically only like Touhou (for the characters and cool music) and Ikaruga (which is just cool, and also inspired Outland, one of the most underrated metroidvanias of the previous console generation).
  • i'm very new to the world of shmups; (1) i play them for mostly just to see the spectacle (and if they can cause/motivate me to learn the system and learn to play well in the process, that speaks to their quality of design), and (2) i don't know my way aroud the big names like treasure and cave.  i just basically have a handful of indie shmups, and those don't even include touhou or gundemonium.

i wasn't expecting that list to be that big, honestly, but i mainly just wanted to compile everything that i had ever meant to play.  you'll note that that list contains some console games too, as well as PC games that have never been in bundles.

> Outland

I will have to look into this title.

> Metroid Prime

My favorite part of this game is actually all those logs and scannable stuff.  I really love the exploration and discovery.

Also, science team has vapor for brains.

don't

buy

bundles

~throws starfish~
  • edited 2014-06-03 18:00:05
    also i think i'm trying to pull some sort of low-commitment easy-to-pick-up but also deeply-meaningful and gives-much-feels game out of this list

which is probably a poor idea since those attributes tend not to correlate well

perhaps the bigger problem is that i want to get lost in a game but can't let myself do that because i have real life things to do
    Shmups are almost exclusively indie at this point, and there are some really good ones.
  • i'm very new to the world of shmups; (1) i play them for mostly just to see the spectacle (and if they can cause/motivate me to learn the system and learn to play well in the process, that speaks to their quality of design), and (2) i don't know my way aroud the big names like treasure and cave.  i just basically have a handful of indie shmups, and those don't even include touhou or gundemonium.

i wasn't expecting that list to be that big, honestly, but i mainly just wanted to compile everything that i had ever meant to play.  you'll note that that list contains some console games too, as well as PC games that have never been in bundles.

> Outland

I will have to look into this title.

XBLA title, really difficult but totally worth it.
  • Ooh...a platformer with bullet polarity mechanics.  I might just have to add it to my to-get list.

Also, in the above list I didn't include anything from my 42-item to-get list.
  • also i wanted to play Zillion (for Genesis/MegaDrive) but i saw some gameplay footage and it seems to be a bit on the boring side.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Mount Your Friends
  • edited 2014-06-03 18:21:05
    Currently, my shortlists are:

replay/finish:
    Ys Origin (replay as Hugo)
    Ys II
    Terranigma
    Metroid Prime
    Aquaria
    La-Mulana
    Dragon Age Origins
    Recettear
    (done: Ys I, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club)
    (removed: Knytt Underground)

start:
    To the Moon
    Torchlight 1 or 2
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    Thief 1
    Antichamber
    (done: Human Tanks 1: War of the Human Tanks, One Way Heroics, Dysfunctional Systems ep 1, Guacamelee)
    (removed: Terraria)

still looking forward to these not-yet-acquired games:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, the First Chapter
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, the Second Chapter
    Territoire
    Okkotos
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
    Papers, Please

I think I should rewrite my shortlists.
  • To The Moon and Antichamber are both very short games.

TTM you could conceivably finish in a single sitting. Antichamber might take like two or three
  • re RPGs

i wanna let myself get carried away on an RPG

problem is that WRPGs always seem to take way too much setup and time commitment before i feel immersed while most of the (non-action) JRPGs i have seem to be small-scale things
    Torchlight II has multiplayer so I played it with my gf and I think it's fun.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I suck at Spyro so fucking much. Miko can testify ^_^;
    I don't think you suck. Plus, I've been re-playing that game occasionally for literally more than a decade.
  • I played a bit of Torchlight 1 and it...felt complicated, for some reason.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Crystal said:

I have recently began playing Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos again (thank you, GMH!), and have put 44 minutes into it as opposed to just nine. I haven't played very many visual novels, admittedly (though I have many on my list), so this is pretty different from the usual. Anyway, I'm really liking how it's all playing out so far, even if I only know Winter Harrison, Cyrus Addington, and David.

Is it weird that I associate the number 44 with the caliber?
  • You have played too many shooty games
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

don't

buy

bundles

y not
  • Tachyon said:

don't

buy

bundles

y not
    they are bad for developers and contribute to a "race to the bottom" problem with indie game pricing wherein a sizable amount of people now have it in their head that $10 for a six hour game is "ridiculously expensive".