General Video Game Thread

Comments

• ninja and time mage

well, halfway through the quiz i started picking rogue-ish options intentionally
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-10-11 18:37:00
    Ninja/conjurer.

Still, I know Bravely Default has some of the most T-rated writing Squenix has ever done, but...good lord.

"What do you look for in a friend?"
    "A sucking chest wound."

o_O;;
  • I really wanted to like Bravely Default but I kinda just couldn't get past the combat being....well, JRPG-y, which is my own fault.

still I gave it to my little brother and he seems to like it
  • I got Vampire, despite avoiding most of the obviously necromatic options.

The second - one made sense once I realized it was salve - maker instead of slave-maker.
  • yeah I misread that too

they couldn't have translated it as like, "alchemist" or something
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I won a $100 entertainment center gift certificate the other day...might wanna turn them into tokens to play Marvel Vs Capcom 2.
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-10-11 20:18:10

If I remember right, I got Time Mage the first time I did that quiz, but Monk is probably my favorite class in-game.

On that note, I am not really a big fan of the characters or story in Bravely Default, but I do think it has pretty stellar gameplay as far as RPGs go. I found the Brave/Default system to be sort of refreshing and the ability to speed up battle animations and control the random encounter rate made leveling a lot more tolerable to me. Granted, I have never really played a Final Fantasy game before, so those latter two features may not be as groundbreaking as I might think.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The straight razor thing is that you keep cutting your face when you shave.

Anyway, I got Conjurer and Ninja.
  • naney said:

i am offended by the presence of one of those tags

you can probably guess which one

i am also offended though slightly less by another one of those tags

you might be able to guess which one
  • unfortunately, without playing the game, i can't determine whether the tags "female protagonist" and "dating sim" are inaccurate

i think they are, but i would need more information than a picture and some tags
  • the description gives me enough to report "dating sim" as inaccurate

i still don't know what gender the protagonist is

it's probably male, but i can't say for sure and therefore i can't report the tag on that basis
  • wait, it says "Take on the role of Willie’s son John Luke as he learns how to become one of the Robertson men!"

so i'm reporting the female protagonist tag as well
  • please help out by also reporting these three tags, so that they are dropped.
  • what a killjoy
  • sorry

i was amused too

but i also felt a little pissed off that people were using those tags as insults
  • they aren't insults they're jokes

because it's Duck Dynasty, the idea of dating the members of the show is certainly horrific, as are their political stances

and the idea of anime duck dynasty is rather amusing as well
  • note that i'm not doing anything about the "horror" and similar tags
  • no one takes the steam tagging system seriously.

not a soul.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The Secret World is the World of Darkness MMO that we never got, and I have to say that it's likely the most unique MMO I've ever played.

Not in terms of mechanics, so to speak. But in terms of puzzles. Investigation is a big part of the game, some of which requires you to look up things on the internet. Fortunately, there is an in-game web browser. 

You have to think in weird ways to progress through some of the missions. Some missions, you have to die to progress. 

And I heard that death being cheap in this world is a part of the story, too.

It's very strange and I'll likely play more of it.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Huh is that still going? I thought it looked interesting.
  • Playing Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright.  So far it seems to be more along the lines of "Professor Layton is Awesome and I Guess Phoenix is Sorta Here".  Layton basically stole the first trial he walked into.  He's also probably less of a skeptic than the guy who walks around all day with a spirit medium and a magic necklace.
    D4 is sweet as hell.

If you have the misfortune to own an Xbone, go buy it now.
  • edited 2014-10-14 12:43:04
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    The game is unrelated to the D video game series.[4] 

oh thank god
    As it turns out, Indigo Prophecy was a great idea, we just weren't ready.

Go buy D4 now.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    It's a shame Investigations 2 wasn't localized, it's easily one of the best games in the Ace Attorney series
  • BeeBee
    edited 2014-10-18 20:35:30
    Layton vs. Wright complete.  The ending was somehow even more of a WTF twist than one would expect.

(ending spoilers)

It is kind of silly though that even though the conclusion hinges on the fact that magic isn't real and the whole thing is a huge government/corporate acid trip experiment, nobody really talks about the elephant in the room: Maya is a real spirit medium and magic is canonically a thing in one of these universes.  I mean it makes sense to keep it quiet when witch trials are flying around, but you'd think Layton would have at least pressed the subject in private when Maya brings it up (all of once).  Goodness knows he's open-minded and pragmatic enough to roll with it.

Heck, they even had a golden opportunity to bring it up in the alchemist's house when she's specifically asked about the magatama, or the DLC which was already so self-aware that they didn't even have to take it seriously.

• ULTRA-RAD HACKER REFUGEE FROM THE FUTURE
    guys

gUYS

GUUUUUUUUUUUUYS!!!
  • edited 2014-10-19 01:16:28

I was thinking about buying Dark Souls 2. Is it worth it to get the season pass along with the game or should I just wait until they release an Ultimate Edition or it's equivalent like they did with the Prepare to Die edition?
    well, as far as I know, they're done with DLC

so you might just want to buy the season pass if you want all the expansions right away

that said it's a great game without them. I haven't played them yet and DkS2 is still one of my candidates for game of the year
  • edited 2014-10-19 01:26:00

well, as far as I know, they're done with DLC

so you might just want to buy the season pass if you want all the expansions right away

that said it's a great game without them. I haven't played them yet and DkS2 is still one of my candidates for game of the year
    Fair point. I'll probably get the season pass.

I don't doubt it. After finishing the first game, I've been chomping at the bit for more Dark Souls stuff. Probably gonna pick up Demon Souls and play that too.
    my personal opinion is that Demon Souls is just a significantly worse Dark Souls 1.

but a lot of people swear it's the best of the three, so
    The Dark Souls 2 DLC is really good. Also the way I would describe Dark Souls 2 is more even and consistent than Demon's or Dark. It's mechanics are mostly better, and it doesn't have as low lows as DS1 but it doesn't have as high highs either.

Also Demon's Souls has some of the best setpieces and boss fights in the series, so I'd say go for it. The dumber mechanics are worth soldiering through.
  • Got Injustice: Gods Among Us.

This...this just might be the worst default keyboard control scheme I've seen since Dark Souls. And it's a pain and a half to try and change it. 
  • edited 2014-10-19 16:38:13
    What does "season pass" mean?

Does it mean that you can't play it after a certain period of time or something?

(*has never bought a "season pass" for anything and thus actually doesn't know*)
  • Virginia said:

What does "season pass" mean?

Does it mean that you can't play it after a certain period of time or something?

(*has never bought a "season pass" for anything and thus actually doesn't know*)

Basically, it just means you buy all the DLC for a game all at once (even if they're not finished yet) at a slightly discounted price and once each DLC is released you get to play the DLC. So if you have 3 DLCs but only one is out yet, you pay for all 3 and play the other 2 once they get released.
  • iirc a season pass is just a term for the game + all the DLC bundled at a slightly reduced price
  • isn't that usually called a "deluxe version" or something like that?
  • edited 2014-10-19 17:17:50

Virginia said:

isn't that usually called a "deluxe version" or something like that?

It's pretty similar. The difference as far as I can tell, is that the Deluxe Edition comes out after all the DLC are released and the DLC are repackaged with the game, while as for the Season Pass you can play each DLC as they come out, but instead of paying for each DLC as it comes out, you just pay one lump sum for a small discount.

Also, Season Pass are available before the Deluxe Edition comes out, so it has the same effect of buying the Deluxe Edition, you just get to play the DLC earlier than if you waited for the company to package the game and all the DLC together.
    buying a season pass is more like buying an expansion pack from the days when PC games still mostly came in CD format.

imo it's a better economical decision for the consumer most of the time.
  • There's a dinosaur comic that talks about how super humans always have to settle their differences with a big stupid fight. Comic #2639, specifically.

There are a large number of battles in Injustice that happen because talking things out just isn't how things are done
  • edited 2014-10-19 17:59:03
    Yea...that's something I'd like to explore.  Don't just have superpowers in a setting just for the hell of showing them off.  Give the characters superpowers, and ask "what would they do?".  "What would I do if I had superpowers?" -- would I be using them to grandstand for my beliefs, causes, or ideologies? would I be as subtle and inconspicuous as possible in using them? would I leave my daily life and attempt to go on a life of adventure (which may or may not turn out right, and may or may not be something that I can influence with my superpowers)? would I be primarily using superpowers for their mundane utility? would I mostly ignore them and only use them in very special circumstances?
  • edited 2014-10-19 23:28:31
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Superhero comics are all about that, it's just that there's a lot of them and everybody takes a different piece of the pie.

For the record, Injustice isn't awful because it's Mortal Kombat. Injustice is awful because it's just that one arc of the Justice League cartoon but stretched out over a fighting game and put all kinds of dumb shit in it.

I mean, they got all the same voice actors. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    so wait, Yume Nikki2 is a thing?
    Yume 2kki, or Yume Nikki 2. Yeah, it's been in development since like 2007.

I can hook you up with a download if you want, I'm excited because someone is finally fucking working on an English translation though right now they've only got the menu (in-game and on the title screen) translated, and there's actually quite a lot to translate, including about 20 books in Library World.
    Windblade said:

Superhero comics are all about that, it's just that there's a lot of them and everybody takes a different piece of the pie.

For the record, Injustice isn't awful because it's Mortal Kombat. Injustice is awful because it's just that one arc of the Justice League cartoon but stretched out over a fighting game and put all kinds of dumb shit in it.

I mean, they got all the same voice actors. 
    I liked Injustice because it let me be Captain Marvel and throw lightning at people.