Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• Spoiler:

mamamantis:

stop calling it “slut-shaming”

stop labeling millions of women you don’t know “sluts” without their consent

no, i don’t care about context. i don’t care that you mean well

we don’t call anything else “[insert oppressive slur here]-shaming”

stop using slurs to categorically describe women and then calling it necessary activist language 

Fighting the good fight as always.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • edited 2014-05-07 22:29:40
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    They're going to insist on multi-paragraph troll movie titles for terms if this keeps up. "In Which a Woman Exerts Her Right to Choose Her Sexual Partners; She Goes On to Have Several of Same; People Who Disapprove of Her Activity Cast Shame Upon Her in an Abusive Manner"
  • It just astounds me. Yeah, language and semantics are important, no doubt. But there are reasons for using terms such as "slut shaming" and even if it WERE an offensive term
    • that's not the issue at hand; other things need to be addressed
    • I can guarantee the maker of that post has complained about being "tone policed" or something like that at some point (It's not exactly a perfect analogy but these kinds of things are cut from the same cloth)
  • kill living beings
    apparently the android app has been updated to let people customize their blogs' appearances in the app. it was nice while it lasted
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    They at least had the sense to limit it to some customizable colors and header images and not the mess of badly written HTML that is most actual blog themes
  • So are themed pronouns (eg. "bun, bunself", "leaf, leafself") as silly as they look at first glance? Am I missing something here? They don't seem harmful, and they don't, like, make me mad, but they just sort of reek of the meaningless labels teenagers love to apply to themselves.
  • well

from now on i'd like to use bun/bunself because those the best pronouns ever tbqh
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Chin/chinself
  • I think asking others to use them is kinda silly and teenagery.  Pronouns aren't supposed to be personalized like that; they're supposed to be a shortcut instead of saying someone's name again.  

I honestly think it's a flaw that English even has gendered pronouns, TBH.  Ideally they should just be got rid of.  However, that's not possible, really, so as a band-aid I'm completely happy with adding a pronoun set or two for people who find none of the existing gendered versions right.  Singular 'they' has been largely adopted as a gender-free placeholder; some people aren't comfortable using it for someone of a known-but-non-binary gender, so possibly another is needed (and there are about 500 spelling choices for what that other should be).

Beyond that, fuckno.  Don't be a jackass.

I'd say 'use them for yourself, if you want, but don't make others have to deal with them', except that unless you refer to yourself in the third person all the time (and thus you're a pretentious little shit), the entire point of pronouns is for someone else to use.

Of course, some people are probably using them just to annoy people who find the idea stupid, because trolling.
  • Most of the people using themed pronouns are otherkin. I've seen a plant-identifier use "leaf" pronouns.
  • Oy.  Species identification is not gender.  My cats are boycats or girlcats, not catselves.

Gorram otherkin anyway.
  • kill living beings
    what if your species identification implies a gender? why is it that I, an AAaaaBbb corn smut,
  • I've decided to be mildly bemused at worst and actively amused at best with otherkin just because if I start doing the VIRULENT OTHERKIN HATE thing it won't go over well.
  • i identify as one of those parthenogenic whiptail lizards
  • The only reason I bring it up so often is because I'm regularly amazed by what people are identifying as.
  • corporal forsythe hated otherkin and now he's banned

coincidence?
  • kill living beings
    Kexruct said:

VIRULENT OTHERKIN HATE

as a papillomavirus i'm pretty offended by the implication that virulence is negative. let me stretch my (metaphorical, since i'm not an animal) wings
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I'd say stretch your flagellum, but viruses don't have those either.
  • corporal forsythe hated otherkin and now he's banned

coincidence?

Think some other stuff was involved there teebeeaytch
  • I don't hate otherkin.  The feeling that one has a spiritual self that is non-human is an ancient one.  Or that of having a connection to that nature of some kind.

None of this justifies being a tosser about it, though.
  • Kexruct said:

corporal forsythe hated otherkin and now he's banned

coincidence?

true, but would that other stuff have ever come to light had he not infuriated the secret otherkin coalition that controls the heap?
  • Kexruct said:

corporal forsythe hated otherkin and now he's banned

coincidence?

true, but would that other stuff have ever come to light had he not infuriated the secret otherkin coalition that controls the heap?
    ...damn, you're right. I need to watch myself.
  • POLICE REPORT: LOCAL TEENAGER IN EAST TENNESSEE FOUND DEAD 

A youth of ******* county was recently found dead in his house. Wounds on his chest suggest he was killed by a large dog or wolf, but stab wounds were found on his shoulders and tailbone. 
  • youuuu didn't hear nothing from me. (*stalks off into the night, accompanied by a jaunty number from a busking dude with a zither*)
  • LWLW
    edited 2014-05-14 20:10:38

I ended up deleting my tumblr the other day. I mention that mainly because I was following some Heapers and wanted to let them know that though it probably looked like I was unfollowing them, I do not dislike them or anything like that.
  • I like my tumblr, but I fear that my followers probably suffer from the mood whiplash between fandom shit and rants.
  • but hey, I'm old enough to start doing the youngsters gerroff my lawwwn thing with conviction.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I changed my blog theme today for the first time in...well, ever.

I figured that if 90% of the #yackfest guys could use IllFlower's theme, I could use Somasis's theme! :P

(Only like two people here will know what I'm talking about)
  • kill living beings
    default ltheme 5ever
    Redux isn't even the default anymore, silly Tzetze
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    does anyone have that one GIF showing the earth swirling and then turning into Barry B. Benson's face
  • Looking good, the new theme!  Very readable and neat and stuffs.
    Heh, thanks. Not my work, though, Somasis designed it for her own blog; I just made mine pink is all. :P
  • my current theme is garbage but i haven't found one that i like to replace it yet

mainly because im too lazy
    I've noticed that too
  • once you have realism down it makes doing cartoony stuff much easier

you have to learn the rules to break them and whatnot
    One of the things I've noticed about 1980s Hanna-Barbera cartoons is that they tend to use poses that no real person actually makes
    Anonus said:

One of the things I've noticed about 1980s Hanna-Barbera cartoons is that they tend to use poses that no real person actually makes

1372378338519.jpg
    jojos_bizarre_adventure-14-joseph-caesar-poses-colors-dramatic-dododododo.jpg
    JJBA is over-the-top on purpose

What I'm talking about is constrained by crap budgets and displays way less finesse
  • robotbears:

my favorite lyric from talk dirty is “but your booty don’t need explaining” because i really like to imagine a booty that NEEDS explaining. imagine jason derulo bewildered by a booty, going “someone really needs to account for this”

"Oozing and surging up out of that yawning trap-door in the callipygian crypt I had glimpsed such an unbelievable behemothic booty that I could not doubt the power of its original to kill with its mere sight. Even now I cannot begin to suggest it with any words at my command. I might call it gigantic — tentacled — proboscidian — octopus-eyed — semi-amorphous — bootylicious— partly squamous and partly rugose — ugh! But nothing I could say could even adumbrate the loathsome, unholy, non-human, extra-galactic horror and hatefulness and unutterable evil of that forbidden twerk of black chaos and illimitable night. As I write these words the associated mental image causes me to lean back faint and nauseated. As I told of the sight to the men around me in the office, I had to fight to preserve the consciousness I had regained.” — Jason Derulo, “Out of the Eons”