Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    an extraordinary thing

bravo, formatting
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I don't know why HH hates Tumblr formatting so much

Maybe it's jealous that Tumblr stole Haven away
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    "the part in p4 where all the heroes mock and infantilise naoto and ~cure him~ of being trans was super a+ material what a great game"

Can someone who played Persona 4 tell me how accurate this is?
  • My guess is "not very."
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i remember the bit about erica in catherine being a bit "uhhhhhhhhhhh............." but don't know shit about purse owner 4
  • kill living beings
    i remember (not cray zee) people talking about naoto not being really trans but the whole thing being hey kinda weird
  • It's pretty inaccurate.

For one thing, Naoto's not actually trans? I understand why she might be read that way, but she's uncomfortable with her assigned gender because of sexism in the workplace rather than intrinsic dysmorphia?
    I remember some tumblr thing saying that anyone who thinks naoto or chihiro from danganronpa is trans is being racist or something, olol
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    People are kind of dumb about stuff like that sometimes.

It makes me think about the whole Jennifer Lawrence thing again, which still makes me twitch with distant repressed rage.
  • The obsessive fangirlism or the obsessive demonization?
    The double standard bitching that basically said that women should all be held to suffocating gender standards because white women have it easier than women of colour. It was the weirdest, most unintentionally anti-feminist thing that I have yet heard out of the wannabe "social justice!" crowd.

I mean, if "intersectionality" is your buzzword, then show some understanding of it.
  • But tumblr is all about ranting without understanding.
  • And being all OMG SO WONDERFUL about someone until they put a foot wrong and then OMG SO EVIL KILL KILL DIE IN A FIRE.

Not always. But teenage bloggers, y'know... yeah.
  • It drives me fuckin' bonkers and I can't disentangle myself from it.
  • I don't think I was like that as a teenager.

Fortunately, blogs hadn't been invented and I didn't keep a diary, so I have no unpleasant reminders of how goddamn annoying I probably was.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I kept a journal when I was in HS, and predictably a lot of it was "omg so ronery this girl I like doesn't like me blahblahblah". :P
  • On the other hand, many (most?) teenagers blogging that aren't like that at all.  It's just that the ALL DRAMA, "emotion meters pinned" individuals are the ones that stand out a lot of  the time.
    Morven said:

I don't think I was like that as a teenager.

Fortunately, blogs hadn't been invented and I didn't keep a diary, so I have no unpleasant reminders of how goddamn annoying I probably was.
    I managed to dig out the secret embarrassing record many people here have!

Eh, I don't think that I was that bad, but at that age your personality and opinions are still in their embryonic stage.

Funny that I've become more and more left-wing, however sceptical of the naïveté and obnoxiousness of some I might be. I think it's the being poor and coming to terms with my queerness and kinkiness.
    Morven said:

On the other hand, many (most?) teenagers blogging that aren't like that at all.  It's just that the ALL DRAMA, "emotion meters pinned" individuals are the ones that stand out a lot of  the time.

True point.

Odradek said:

I managed to dig out the secret embarrassing record many people here have!

Pffffft.

At least my recent record is not too embarrassing...
  • And tvtropes' interface sucks so bad it's hard to find the older stuff.

• I've become more leftist and less tolerant of idiot leftists at the same time.  By the time I die I'll be Marx but hate all humanity.
  • Morven said:

I've become more leftist and less tolerant of idiot leftists at the same time.  By the time I die I'll be Marx but hate all humanity.

I've been like that for a long while

join the club mate
  • edited 2014-05-27 20:09:04
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    SF_Sorrow said:

Morven said:

I've become more leftist and less tolerant of idiot leftists at the same time.  By the time I die I'll be Marx but hate all humanity.

I've been like that for a long while

join the club mate
    I'm rapidly catching up to y'all.

Amusingly enough, dear's actually made me more cynical of the U.S. by pointing out the basic political reality that underlies them.
    Morven said:

It's funny to compare right-wing conspiracy theories about leftists with how ineffectual every leftist believes every other leftist to be.
  • I suspect the same is true in reverse at least a lot of the time, though.  People love conspiracy theories over the actual reality that politics is a derpfest full of self-interested idiots, for the most part.
    Morven said:

Marx was not a Marxist, so you'd basically be Marx.
  • kill living beings
    also marx spent like 90% of his time yelling at leftists for doing it wrong, so yeah nailed it
    Morven said:

I suspect the same is true in reverse at least a lot of the time, though.  People love conspiracy theories over the actual reality that politics is a derpfest full of self-interested idiots, for the most part.

Yeah...

also marx spent like 90% of his time yelling at leftists for doing it wrong, so yeah nailed it

Dude was kind of a snobbypants about leftism, to be honest, kicking anarchists out of the Third International and whatnot...
  • Honestly I'd contest that it's just the people who are always angry that stick out, because it seems like just about EVERYONE is always angry due to the way reblogs and such work.
    Kexruct said:

Honestly I'd contest that it's just the people who are always angry that stick out, because it seems like just about EVERYONE is always angry due to the way reblogs and such work.

Eh, fair enough, although reblogging and adding fuel to the fire can be an issue.
  • kill living beings

Dude was kind of a snobbypants about leftism, to be honest, kicking anarchists out of the Third International and whatnot...

yeah it's great

i remember once i was watching this marxist person complain about anarchists and at one point he was like "have they even READ the anti-dühring" and i was like, no, nobody has read this obscure fucking book
    reblogging and the way it meant I saw every tired joke like thirty times is why I don't tumblr anymore and just let my girlfriend link me things, basically
  • Well yeah that's about what I was getting at.

Basically the thing is...

whenever there's a big outrage just about all like-minded people end up getting a piece of the outrage pie. While in an ideal world this would be done through the (relatively plentiful) reasonable, measured popular posts about any given issue, for the most part most outrage is expressed through reblogging "snarky" posts which means a lot of people don't really know what they're talking about.
  • Tumblr's reblogging mechanism allows for outrage explosions, that's for sure.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a way to see only reblogs that added content, and exclude likes and verbatim reblogs?
    there might be an xkit extension for that
  • kill living beings
    I think Anemotaxis wrote a thing for that. Or maybe it just skipped all reblogs.
    >anemotaxis
    >not (whatever bullshit from future sounds of london he'll pick for his handle here)
  • Morven said:

Tumblr's reblogging mechanism allows for outrage explosions, that's for sure.

this also happens on twitter.
  • I dunno if I'm going to be unpopular for this, but Tumblr's hangups with using slurs for demonstrative purposes really bothers me.

Like yeah you should try to avoid using them regardless but like using them demonstratively shouldn't be a problem, right?
  • I am much less comfortable with hearing them spoken aloud than I am seeing them written, in that or really any context.

Why this is so, I don't know.
    Kexruct said:

I dunno if I'm going to be unpopular for this, but Tumblr's hangups with using slurs for demonstrative purposes really bothers me.

Like yeah you should try to avoid using them regardless but like using them demonstratively shouldn't be a problem, right?
    There is the ever-popular trigger warning.

As in tw: demonstratively used slurs
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    http://tooyoungforthelivingdead.tumblr.com/tone-policing

I do not know how I feel about this.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It usually comes down to something like 
    • "ugh, stop swearing so much, you sound like a [insert slur here]" 
    • "HEY NOW I CAN CUSS HOWEVER MUCH I WANT ITS A FREE FUCKING COUNTRY"
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    "But anger is valid. Anger is valid, anger is important, anger brings social change, anger makes people listen, anger is threatening, and anger is passion."

• BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    ngl?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Not gonna lie.
  • edited 2014-05-28 14:13:31
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Ah
    Not quite sure what to say other then I think both side have good arguments I guess...
    *brace for impact*