Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• Where I disagree with this is that accusations of tone policing are ALSO a derailing tactic, quite often.  

It's also a good sign that the person in question has bought into the notion that in any disagreement or difference, there's a clear "oppressor" and "oppressed".  That falls apart in a whole bunch of real-life situations and generally indicates someone with a way too binaristic way of thinking.
  • I believe that rare, outlier crimes like mass shootings are not all that useful for determining what's wrong with society.  Instead, they become a bit of a Rorschach's Blot, in which each of us sees our preconceived ideas of what's wrong.

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Morven said:

I believe that rare, outlier crimes like mass shootings are not all that useful for determining what's wrong with society.  Instead, they become a bit of a Rorschach's Blot, in which each of us sees our preconceived ideas of what's wrong.

part of me wants to say "the isla vista shooting pales in comparison to the vast amount of domestic abuse that MRAs already support and produce" but the degree to which that's a dick thing to say outweighs the degree to which I care
  • I'd agree with you, though with the proviso that the killer doesn't actually appear to have been a MRA.  Wrong species of asshole.  Instead, he appears to have dabbled in the PUA (pick-up artist) scene, a group in mutual hate with MRAs (PUAs think MRAs are losers who can't get laid, MRAs think that PUAs are jerks who don't care about the lot of men so long as they get their dicks wet).

Both groups draw from many of the same underlying issues, though, and could be said to be subsets of a larger group that some have dubbed the "New Misogyny".
  • I failed my final because a GIRL sitting next to me was wearing a TANK TOP ad i saw her sholders and got distracted all the blood in my brain went to my huge Dong
  • Quote or paraphrase?
  • I'm guessing: someone having a rant about how girls' school uniform regulations are justified because of "not distracting boys".
  • that was the whole quote

i found it amusing, hence my posting it here
  • I betcha I'm right about context.

I love how Dong is capitalized like it's a proper name.
    buried under so much irony i don't know what position they're actually taking
    "teenager", maybe
    teenagers are dumb.  i'm glad that as a twenty three year old i say nothing dumb ever
  • Morven said:

I'd agree with you, though with the proviso that the killer doesn't actually appear to have been a MRA.  Wrong species of asshole.  Instead, he appears to have dabbled in the PUA (pick-up artist) scene, a group in mutual hate with MRAs (PUAs think MRAs are losers who can't get laid, MRAs think that PUAs are jerks who don't care about the lot of men so long as they get their dicks wet).

Both groups draw from many of the same underlying issues, though, and could be said to be subsets of a larger group that some have dubbed the "New Misogyny".
    Did some research, it's actually the opposite. He was an MRA, and one with a state hatred of PUAs.
  • I'm going to hold you to that joke post, Lilly.
  • Kexruct: I'm not sure he was an insider in either group, TBH.  It's kind of darkly ironic that he felt shunned even by the misogynists.  
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    According to people I know who have read the manifesto, at no point does he even attempt to ask a girl out or anything along those lines.
  • This just in: John Green hate literally the most asinine, kneejerk thing on Tumblr.
  • I feel like criticizing YA writers is important because a lot of people pick up funny ideas from badly-written YA books.

That said, I've never read a John Green novel specifically, so I don't know if that really is relevant here.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    He's over-quoted, and a little too, uh... faux-inspirational, I think is the term? Or maybe not "faux," just a wee bit trite. Not necessarily a bad person, but he could be less obvious.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    when did Rickrolling come back
  • Rickrolling never left.

Also, "Never Gonna Give You Up" is legitimately a pretty good song, so I'm fine with it.

He's over-quoted, and a little too, uh... faux-inspirational, I think is the term? Or maybe not "faux," just a wee bit trite. Not necessarily a bad person, but he could be less obvious.

I know what you mean by "faux-inspirational".

The knocks I've heard against him are perhaps unsurprisingly, mostly feminist issues. Stuff like overuse of women as character development devices, rather than as characters, and such.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

In fairness, we're not in his demographic.

Out of the stuff that gets published for his demographic, he seems like one of the best writers out there. Granted, this probably says more about the YA genre than Green himself, but the point still stands.

In fairness, we're not in his demographic.

Out of the stuff that gets published for his demographic, he seems like one of the best writers out there. Granted, this probably says more about the YA genre than Green himself, but the point still stands.
    It's says a little about both. I've read little of his work, so I can't speak to it personally, but apparently he's at least technically skilled, but that doesn't mean that teenagers don't deserve better,
  • edited 2014-05-29 21:42:00

My little sister tried reading a John Green book and her exact words were "it read like a series of 'inspirational' tumblr posts" and she is in his target demographic.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ^^ I don't disagree. After all, Louis Sachar has shown that it is possible to write good fiction for teenagers without dumbing it down.

^ Based on what you've said about her, your little sister seems like she will be a pretty cool person when she grows up.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Louis Sachar is pretty exceptional as teen fiction goes... comparing other teen fiction authors to him is setting the bar pretty high
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Is it bad that I know Sachar mostly from the Wayside School series?
  • Is it bad that I know Sachar mostly from the Wayside School series?

Wayside School was my first exposure to him
    Tachyon said:

Louis Sachar is pretty exceptional as teen fiction goes... comparing other teen fiction authors to him is setting the bar pretty high

Unless we're talking unrepentant beach reading, the bar should be that high. And with Christopher Moore and Carl Hiaasen in the equation, even beech reading should be held to a higher standard.
  • He's over-quoted, and a little too, uh... faux-inspirational, I think is the term? Or maybe not "faux," just a wee bit trite. Not necessarily a bad person, but he could be less obvious.

I mean, that's all what's true based on texture, and we all know that Tumblr's all about texture.

To my knowledge it's more a matter of it being very self assured. Unashamed to say the stuff it says. This kind of thing is very, very often mistaken for pretentiousness, and that makes me sad. Disaffection is getting old. I'm happy to see a return to sincerity.
    You can be sincere without being trite. It's actually quite easy.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I haven't read any of John's novels, but the vlogs and TV shows he does with Hank are pretty good.
  • The stuff I've seen hasn't really seemed trite. It seemed like the kind of thing people would CALL trite, but the stuff itself was quite unique, and it really did seem like it came from a genuine place.

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here but generally speaking I have a good intuition to what my feelings on a particular thing will be.
  • Kexruct said:

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here but generally speaking I have a good intuition to what my feelings on a particular thing will be.

I said this once and you yelled at me for it.
  • Kexruct said:

I said this once and you yelled at me for it.

• Positive and negative judgements aren't necessarily equivalent. Also I'm not going to let this intuition go unchallenged; I actually do plan on reading his books.
  • Kexruct said:

Positive and negative judgements aren't necessarily equivalent.

Yea they are.

In fact, I think in this case negative judgments are more valid. If you're almost certain you're not going to like something, why waste your time?
    Kexruct said:

The stuff I've seen hasn't really seemed trite. It seemed like the kind of thing people would CALL trite, but the stuff itself was quite unique, and it really did seem like it came from a genuine place.

Eh, some things will seem better or worse depending on your mood. Apparently John Green is like that, or so my sister says. She reads a lot of YA for kicks, some quite awful and some quite good, and she's actually really astute about it.

He seems like the kind of writer who I could give props to and still not especially like, y'know?
  • edited 2014-05-29 22:22:23
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Kexruct said:

Yea they are.

In fact, I think in this case negative judgments are more valid. If you're almost certain you're not going to like something, why waste your time?
    True.

Arm-flailing negativity about possibly worthwhile things because one thinks that they are not one's thing are unwarranted, but praising something for being something that one might hypothetically like is misleading and hollow.

I have done both, I confess, and I am not too proud of it, although I at least have the good grace to go out of my way to see enough of those things to get a feel, as it were...
  • Kexruct said:

Yea they are.

Because it's possible for something you don't enjoy to change the way you think regardless.

I mean I've made no secret of the fact that I detest The Amazing Spider-Man but I'm still really glad I watched it because it gave me an interesting experience and something to talk about.
  • Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

Yea they are.

Because it's possible for something you don't enjoy to change the way you think regardless.
    Possible but exceedingly unlikely.

Your arguments make sense in a world where everyone has an infinite amount of time to do whatever they wish, but we don't live in that world, unfortunately.
  • edited 2014-05-29 22:24:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ I actually sort of liked that movie. The humour was clever and the actors playing Parker and Stacy nailed their roles and had actual chemistry. I just found some of the plot contrivances very... bleh.

It was decent. Fun, even. But riddled with little problems.
  • Kexruct said:

Yea they are.

True.

Arm-flailing negativity about possibly worthwhile things because one thinks that they are not one's thing are unwarranted, but praising something for being something that one might hypothetically like is misleading and hollow.

I have done both, I confess, and I am not too proud of it, although I at least have the good grace to go out of my way to see enough of those things to get a feel, as it were...
    It's not really that so much as the "criticism" of John Green on Tumblr positively reeks of bullshit. It comes in three varieties:
    • hurr durr look at this "metaphor" scene gah he's so pretentious
    • his alleged use of a manic pixie dream girl
    • something he said on a video made like five years ago as a joke
  • edited 2014-05-29 22:32:07
    We can do anything if we do it together.

Kexruct said:

He seems like the kind of writer who I could give props to and still not especially like, y'know?

Yeah, I feel basically the same way about him.

The best children's authors tend to get into writing for kids because they don't have to bullshit like they do with grown-ups. John Green seems to follow in this tradition, and I can respect that sort of attitude.
    Kexruct said:

It's not really that so much as the "criticism" of John Green on Tumblr positively reeks of bullshit. It comes in three varieties:

But see, I'm not Tumblr. Nor are my boyfriend's sister or mine strawman Tumblrites.

You're kneejerking. Hard.
  • Kexruct said:

But see, I'm not Tumblr. Nor are my boyfriend's sister or mine strawman Tumblrites.

You're kneejerking. Hard.
    approximately this hard:

Kexruct said:

Yeah, I feel basically the same way about him.

The best children's authors tend to get into writing for kids because they don't have to bullshit like they do with grown-ups. John Green seems to follow in this tradition, and I can respect that sort of attitude.
    Yeah, I can dig that. But I prefer less sap in my sincerity, even if I can respect that sap and recognise that I, too, am a massive sap at heart.