The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Miko said:

Odradek said:

Miko said:

I believe in nothing.

But is this a negation of believing something, or are you using a noun to say you believe in nothing? Is it Hegel or Heidegger's, or even the crude antinatalist nothing?

Does nothing noth?
    I am almost completely uninitiated with philosophy but I see everything as ultimately meaningless and temporary. This comforts me.
    Whatever works.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    funny, i used to see everything as ultimately meaningful and permanent

i'm not sure about that, anymore

i worry that resting my happiness on vague metaphysical beliefs is probably unwise
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Tachyon said:

then again, diving straight in is usually a good place to start

it's just not the be-all-end-all

Yeah. I do remember having some discussion about theory and tropes and all in English class. We at least talked about the Hero's Journey and the relevant history surrounding the Canterbury Tales.

It seems like the CC approach works better with history. That or they just didn't have funding or the time to cover backing theory and tropes well.
  • Tachyon said:

i identify as a Methodist Christian, but when i talk to other Christians at any length about religion it quickly becomes apparent we're not really on the same page about very much

well, faith isn't really an objective thing, so there can be lots of interpretations of the same basic belief

i mean even us nonbelievers do that

Everything that has happened will never not have happened.
  • The fundamental big mistake with every fictional medium is mistaking form for function.
    MacDuffy said:

well, faith isn't really an objective thing, so there can be lots of interpretations of the same basic belief

i mean even us nonbelievers do that

true enough
    Kexruct said:

The fundamental big mistake with every fictional medium is mistaking form for function.

care to elaborate?
  • Tachyon said:

funny, i used to see everything as ultimately meaningful and permanent

i'm not sure about that, anymore

i worry that resting my happiness on vague metaphysical beliefs is probably unwise

there's nothing inherently wrong with believing in something
    honestly one of my biggest complaints about high school literature classes would be that they don't really prepare you for university level because they teach you outdated ideas without any consideration of developments in the latter half of the 20th century

media studies gets a lot of flak, but A-level media does introduce you to basic semiotics, which is an extremely valuable thing to know about before you study lit at uni
    In order of worthiness of being preserved famous bad movies go

Manos: The Hands of Fate

The Room

Troll 2

Birdemic

In order of funniness they go

The Room

Troll 2

Birdemic

MacDuffy said:

no, of course not.
  • edited 2014-01-29 13:57:10
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    "Amestrus [sic] has been taken over by a dictator."

Oh no, not a dictator, how will Amestris deal with such a change of pace?!

Granted, considering what the last dictator did...
  • manos the hands of fate is the only one of those ive seen

wasnt that great, even untentionally

it was just

eh
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Miko said:
    dear lord
    Odradek said:

In order of worthiness of being preserved famous bad movies go

The Room

Troll 2

Birdemic

In order of funniness they go

The Room

Troll 2

Birdemic

what about Battlefield Earth
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Autism Spectrum\Asperger Syndrome Professional Edition\anxiety32.dll
    Battlefield Earth isn't worth being preserved. But it is funnier than Birdemic.
    ok then
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know, my sister once asked me why Windows drive letters start from "C" instead of "A"

Made me feel old
    She's 14, for the record
  • Tachyon said:

MacDuffy said:

no, of course not.

then you don't need to worry about whether or not it's wise.

it's unwise to try and assert a belief onto others

but it isn't unwise to just believe

You know, my sister once asked me why Windows drive letters start from "C" instead of "A"

I don't know why that is either

I don't know why that is either
    Because A and B were traditionally floppy drives
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I've never actually seen a B: drive.
    oh
  • what's a floppy drive

is it a type of car
  • i didn't realize i stumbled into a retirement home

later, gramps

*skateboards away*

• Tachyon said:

Kexruct said:

The fundamental big mistake with every fictional medium is mistaking form for function.

care to elaborate?
    Fable, for example. What was ostensibly a "hero's journey simulator" just ended up being a fill-in-the blanks of the various stages of the hero's journey with no real understanding of how to connect the events or why they exist.
  • edited 2014-01-29 14:09:21
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    MacDuffy said:

i think i will have to respectfully disagree

investing too much of your happiness in some assumed metaphysical fact strikes me as making yourself vulnerable

but maybe that's what bravery is, idk
    Most of the computers I used as a kid had it set up like this:

A: – 3½" floppy disk drive

C: – hard disk drive

D: – CD-ROM drive (not newfangled CD-RW or DVD-ROM, CD-ROM) :P

I guess by the mid-'90s most PCs shipped with only one floppy disk drive, and they just skipped B: for the sake of consistency with older computers
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

Kexruct said:

care to elaborate?
    Fable, for example. What was ostensibly a "hero's journey simulator" just ended up being a fill-in-the blanks of the various stages of the hero's journey with no real understanding of how to connect the events or why they exist.
    That's not exactly every medium, or even every example of a medium. Narrow your scope if you are going to make sweeping declarations: "A common problem in fictional media, particularly interactive media, is that form is unduly equated with function."
  • edited 2014-01-29 14:11:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't remember an A or B drive

i remember floppy disks, but i wasn't aware of details like file paths when i was that young
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, that's an MS-DOS quirk there. On single-drive machines (like, say, the PCjr), you could have a "virtual" B: that prompted you to swap the disk when needed.
  • Tachyon said:

MacDuffy said:

i think i will have to respectfully disagree

investing too much of your happiness in something metaphysical strikes me as making yourself vulnerable

but maybe that's what bravery is, idk

i don't think it should really matter what happiness is based on, so long as you're happy

unless you're like

a serial killer

then maybe you should find another source of happiness

Also the instructions for like every Windows 95-era CD-ROM game said to type "D:\SETUP" to run the installer, which relies on the assumption that the CD drive is always D:. It's not.

Anyway, I gotta run. Got an appointment with my job coach, then I'm off to school. Talk to y'all later!
  • Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

Kexruct said:

care to elaborate?
    That's not exactly every medium, or even every example of a medium. Narrow your scope if you are going to make sweeping declarations: "A common problem in fictional media, particularly interactive media, is that form is unduly equated with function."
    I honestly can't think of a single medium where that isn't a common problem.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Run ZZ:\TOP
    Tachyon said:

i don't remember an A or B drive

i remember floppy disks, but i wasn't aware of details like file paths when i was that young

I used to play on my mother's work computer as a kid (she worked from home) and I saved my mspaint stuff to floppy disks a lot (because hard disk space was still at a premium back then)

So I pretty quickly got used to clicking on the "3½" Floppy (A:)" icon
    I remember clicking on the floppy icon and then having to wait a few seconds because WHY CAN'T IT READ THE DISK INSTANTLY DOESN'T IT REALIZE WE'RE ALL RUNNING OUT OF TIME ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH

going to work now
    bye Imi and CA
    Kexruct said:

How so? Name me examples in a couple of different media.

Also, I was less taking issue with the assertion that this is a problem with different media than that your wording implied that all fiction is flawed in this way, not individual examples. Additionally, I am still not entirely sure what you mean.
    Nidhogg is a very good game.
  • i am back from class

on the way too and from class i listened to Yeezus.

I think i have fully formed my thoughts on the album, and i will post them later as right now i am heading out to library volunteering stuff.
  • these thoughts are not positive ones by the way

in fact i ended up laughing out loud at the music about half way through my listen on the way back when everything finally clicked
  • Kexruct said:

How so? Name me examples in a couple of different media.

Also, I was less taking issue with the assertion that this is a problem with different media than that your wording implied that all fiction is flawed in this way, not individual examples. Additionally, I am still not entirely sure what you mean.
    I'm saying that it's one of the most prevalent problems in fiction, and that a lot of other problems refer back to it some way. I didn't intend to imply that all fiction, period, is flawed in this way, just that a good portion of time, if a work is flawed, mistaking form for function is part of the problem.
    Kexruct said:

I'm saying that it's one of the most prevalent problems in fiction, and that a lot of other problems refer back to it some way. I didn't intend to imply that all fiction, period, is flawed in this way, just that a good portion of time, if a work is flawed, mistaking form for function is part of the problem.

That's an interesting position, but I would like you to elaborate on what you mean.