The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, many people think that it is wrong to force your views upon other people.

People who have that view tend to not accept people forcing their views on other people.

In fact, many people who are against forcing your views on other people would like to impose that conviction upon reality.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    That's pathetic
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tre said:

evil

though they did have to sell a bunch of channels to DHX, we'll see if they screw that up or not
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Belberith.
    (2015 self)
    So, some people believe X, and other people believe Y, and X and Y are mutually exclusive.  The people who believe X think that they (the people who believe X) are right; and the people who believe Y believe that they (the people who believe Y) are right.

But how do you know which one is right?  Because if you believe X is right, well, then, you believe X is right; but if you believe Y than you believe Y, and in both situations you think you are right.  Given that every person thinks that he or she is right; and that you believe what you believe; and that we only see our perceptions; how do we know if anything we think is right?  Your stance (X or Y) on the matter indicates nothing about the truth of the matter; because if you believe Y you believe Y and if you believe X you believe X.

Given that nobody thinks that he or she is wrong; how do we know who is wrong?

What if we're all crazy and it turns out that black is white and up is down; that being a jerkface is actually better than being nice to people; there's no way to know what is right or what is wrong because you only know what you know!

What if shoelaces are actually fishes and sidewalks are the mouths of invisible yo-yos??!!?!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    if black was white, white would be our word for black, and if being a jerkface was better than being nice then better would mean worse

the sign is arbitrary
    but you can't know for sure who is right or wrong, you can only form your own opinions based on your experiences and believe whatever you think is true
    you know i thought Doomsday was actually really sad when i watched it, but seeing it over and over again in gif format accompanied by increasingly hyperbolic expressions of anguish has completely desensitized me to it
    Dark Souls II is out in less than 2 months.

Prepare to Diorama.
  • edited 2014-01-29 19:57:01
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

but you can't know for sure who is right or wrong, you can only form your own opinions based on your experiences and believe whatever you think is true

Yeah, but everyone forms his or her own opinions and believes whatever he or she thinks is true.

What makes me better than anyone else?  Why arbitrarily favor one opinion just because you think it is right?

Nobody has a right to call another person wrong, then.

I could think whatever I wanted and it would be true to me and wouldn't be able to distinguish it from truth.  I'd have no more credibility than anyone.  I could say whatever I wanted and it would be right to me, and since my view is just as good or bad as anyone's, it would be essentially true; and then wait doesn't that mean that I get to choose my own reality?

I have no right to call, say, Chris-Chan a jerkface because I only see my perception..

So why argue, then?

What even is?  Is anything?  Is is?

Amoeba? 
  • edited 2014-01-29 19:53:16
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Gildervine makes my computer lag really badly for some reason

in Black Candles i mean
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    What's Doomsday?
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    The guy that killed Superman
    @Aliroz But generally, you don't form opinions arbitrarily, you base them on your own experiences of the world.  So you're not arbitrarily favouring opinions, you're favouring those that the evidence of your senses incline you towards.  It's not a perfect measurement; it's always possible you might be wrong.

Arguing, if done rationally, can help you to arrive at the truth, or something closer to it.  Suppose Alice holds opinion X because of evidence α, and Bob holds opinion Y because of evidence β.  Bob might say, 'X can't be true because β, therefore Y.'  Alice might respond, 'But Y can't be true either, because α.'  They have learned that neither X nor Y is true, so they might both now hold opinion Z, which takes both pieces of evidence into consideration.
  • edited 2014-01-29 20:08:37
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

@Aliroz But generally, you don't form opinions arbitrarily, you base them on your own experiences of the world.  So you're not arbitrarily favouring opinions, you're favouring those that the evidence of your senses incline you towards.  It's not a perfect measurement; it's always possible you might be wrong.

Arguing, if done rationally, can help you to arrive at the truth, or something closer to it.  Suppose Alice holds opinion X because of evidence α, and Bob holds opinion Y because of evidence β.  Bob might say, 'X can't be true because β, therefore Y.'  Alice might respond, 'But Y can't be true either, because α.'  They have learned that neither X nor Y is true, so they might both now hold opinion Z, which takes both pieces of evidence into consideration.

Just because you say it doesn't mean you're right.
    And that doesn't take into account how we see nothing but our perception. We don't know anything except what we know.
    Wait, what if my thinking in my last post is wrong?  I only think that there's nothing I think except what I think.  I only think that I believe what I believe.  Maybe I don't believe what I believe and so the certainty that people believe what they believe and that nobody sees anything outside of their perception is wrong.  By its own basis in a certainty (that there isn't objective stuff we see, just perception), it's based in a certainty and so it's a paradox.

The uncertainty is an uncertainty, so it's not proven, so it doesn't have to be that way.

Maybe is isn't when is is because is is not is amoeba?

Whoa.  I just confused myself back to lucidity there, or at least, my regular level of confusion.

Okay, it helped a lot that you guys disagreed with me, thus recalibrating reality to prove me wrong.

Imagine, what if I'd won that argument? Ugh. Maybe it's best that what I think is wrong.

So, ability-to-make-me-be-wrong-all-the-time, when it comes to disappointing me, you never disappoint.
    Odradek said:

What's Doomsday?

the Doctor Who episode with this scene:

imageimage
  • edited 2014-01-29 20:12:12
    Aliroz said:

You could say that to everything, but that doesn't get you anywhere. You have to believe some things in order to function as a human being.
    Aliroz said:

And that doesn't take into account how we see nothing but our perception.

Excuse me?  That's literally the fundamental basis of what i said!
    (2015 self)
    Man, that was weird.  No more posting after not getting enough sleep.

I apologize for spazzing out, there.
  • I'm watching the second-to-last episode of Good Luck Charlie.

They seem to be handling the two moms thing pretty well, even though if it were up to me I would've taken the opportunity earlier in the series.
    Aliroz said:

Okay, it helped a lot that you guys disagreed with me, thus recalibrating reality to prove me wrong.

Imagine, what if I'd won that argument? Ugh. Maybe it's best that what I think is wrong.

So, ability-to-make-me-be-wrong-all-the-time, when it comes to disappointing me, you never disappoint.

ok seriously stop this

i can't talk to you because unless i agree absolutely with every detail of what you say you go into victim mode
  • edited 2014-01-29 20:17:09
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

Aliroz said:

You could say that to everything, but that doesn't get you anywhere. You have to believe some things in order to function as a human being.
    Aliroz said:

And that doesn't take into account how we see nothing but our perception.

Excuse me?  That's literally the fundamental basis of what i said!
    Good point.

You've won.  You're right.
  • edited 2014-01-29 20:16:44
    You don't know i'm right.  Obviously i think i am.  You must have a reason for thinking what you do.

And i wasn't aware that we were competing.
    But do vaccines cause an irrational trust of Bitcoin?
  • Thirty Shades of Grey

Fourty H's

Lex Luthor stole fifty cakes.  That's as many as five tens.  And that's terrible.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

Wild Arms?
  • Let It Be
    Let It Go
    Let It Snow
    Let You Down
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Miko said:

<snip>

Wild Arms?
    Wild Arms 2.
    ^_^
    It is widely assumed that Wild Arms 2 has a plot. The real question, however, is what that plot is, as it becomes incomprehensible 2/3 of the way through.
    (2015 self)
    Tachyon said:

Aliroz said:

ok seriously stop this

i can't talk to you because unless i agree absolutely with every detail of what you say you go into victim mode
    When I disagree with you, you think that you're right and I think that I'm right.  Your view (that you're right and I'm wrong) is not on the same page as my view (that I'm right and you're wrong).
    If I say that you're right and I'm wrong; then we agree and we're on the same page.

But then you say things like 'i am wrong about everything but some things are more important than right or wrong, and you guys disagree with me about everything, and i wish you guys were hypocrites or held unpopular opinions so i could relish being right for a change' and so on.
    I almost beated Deathsmiles vanilla today. :o
  • Kexruct said:

Naney is this you
    no that's police commissioner smirnov.

though to be fair

we are rather similar in some ways
    I think the hate of Anita Sarkeesian is partly based on the same emotion hate of Jack Thompson was based on.
    Probably, but if so i think it's misplaced.

Sarkeesian isn't trying to get things banned, she's just giving her opinions.
  • Odradek said:

I think the hate of Anita Sarkeesian is partly based on the same emotion hate of Jack Thompson was based on.

isn't Jack Thompson a euphemism for penis
  • edited 2014-01-29 20:52:29
    Odradek said:

Interesting thought.

I'm inclined to agree.
    this doesn't help
  • BEST PAGETOPPER
    E
    S
    T

P
    A
    G
    E
    T
    O
    P
    P
    E
    R

IT'S NOT EVEN A PAGETOPPER
    Tachyon said:

Probably, but if so i think it's misplaced.

Sarkeesian isn't trying to get things banned, she's just giving her opinions.

Well obviously it's misplaced.
  • Odradek said:

Interesting thought.

I'm inclined to agree.
    this doesn't help
    cats are not generally disposed towards being helpful
    Well i mean, i don't think the hate of Thompson was, necessarily.  He was someone who posed a genuine threat to their hobby, or at least sought to pose a genuine threat to it.  The hostility was to be expected.

Stating the obvious, i know.
  • This is a point Bob Chipman made, but gamers have gotten used to being on the defensive because of people like Thompson, which leads to unfairly lashing out at people like Anita Sarkeesian, who, as much as I disagree with the specifics of her approach, is only trying to help.
  • Thompson filed a law suit for $40 million against Facebook in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida on September 29, 2009. Thompson claimed that the social networking site had caused him great harm and distress by not removing angry postings made by users in several Facebook groups.
    lol