The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking -- about everything I find on it is related to QSound but not much explanation. 
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Awakened from an unplanned nap.

Does anybody else ever have the "I'm the same age I am in real life but I'm going back to elementary school" dreams?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I haven't had one of those about elementary school, to my knowledge, but I've had plenty of weird dreams about high school where I either can't find my friends, can't remember my schedule, or get lost going to class...and the school is a mashup of part of my high school and the school I went to for 4th grade. :O
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, I was watching Gravity Falls on Nickelodeon (it aired as part of Summer Squidward Week) when my sister reminded me I was late for school. So I drove to my old elementary school in a hurry and got ready for class.

Then I found the principal (who looked exactly the same as he did 12 years ago, of course) and tried to explain that because I was 22 and only needed to be present for a couple subjects, I wanted permission to take a COTA bus downtown during the school day. I don't think he quite understood. Also his office was an old supply closet.

So yeah.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

Does anybody else ever have the "I'm the same age I am in real life but I'm going back to elementary school" dreams?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Also, it's typically just college for me.
  • The Beyoncé documentary is on HBO

it's not half bad
  • edited 2013-02-19 21:09:35

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking -- about everything I find on it is related to QSound but not much explanation. 

From what I understand about it, it seems to be mostly useful for manipulation on depth in a mix (how far or near sound appears in relation to the listener). That and creating surround sound.
    You know, at one of my elementary schools we always got in trouble for going down to the supply closet without permission.

They tried to feed us some lie about how school supplies are "budgeted" from "taxpayer money" and the closet doesn't magically replenish itself full of new construction paper and poster board. What a load of bunk.

(In all seriousness though, if they had such a big problem with students going there and taking stuff, why didn't they just lock the damn thing?)
    oh god

the alicorn filly in that picture is pointing at twilight

IT WAS A CONSPIRACY ALL ALONG
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

My first thought as well

Also I'm wondering if there is indeed a foreign country where Gravity Falls airs on Nickelodeon

"Summer Squidward Week"?
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Welcome back to Squidward.
    You know, it's the middle of July, they have annoying bumpers with Squidward...fairly standards stuff. 
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful
    green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without
    lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but
    cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent
    in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they
    are real." --Aral Vorkosigan
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Aliroz_ said:

Hey, Imipolex, do you have fifteen hours to waste?

No. But if I were going to read a webcomic, Girl Genius seems like it would be among the more likely choices.

Naney said:

also corporal it amuses me that you think that i listen to large amounts of metal

I have no idea what you listen to, I only go by what you talk about (which is mostly metal) the obscure artist name and album art that's usually embedded in those youtube videos you spam all the time and they all clearly state, to me at least, that these are a no-click zone 
    See, for me, obscure artist name and album art is pro-click. Usually.

And yes, I am THE METAL GUY. Fuck you if you hate it.
  • Agents are...GO!!!
    MAGIKARP ARE YOU METAL
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Magikarp is a statement about atheism
  • I am a METAL statement about atheism.
    For some reason I feel like posting these pictures again.

• edited 2013-02-19 22:31:03
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    So, words xylographed (I know xylographed only applies to wood, but I forgot the word for things that are not wood that are Xylographed) into metal, or metal letters that make words?

Is it the absence of metal that makes the words, or is it the metal itself?

^ What's that from, Yarr?
  • helping my sis with history day stuff
  • His review of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

I'm looking at more recent Robin Hood movies so I can compare them to Errol Flynn's version and laugh at how much they suck compared to it.
    (2015 self)
    I thought you didn't like Errol Flynn, though.  You said he was an overacting ham who didn't have a good grasp of subtlety.  I haven't seen any of the old Errol Flynn Robin hood movies, but nothing could be worse than Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

Anyways,

All men dream, but not equally. Those who
    dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to
    find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.
    This, I did.

~T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

I'm eating some Meijer brand "Assorted Cocoa Gems".

That's their non-trademark-infringing name for knockoff M&Ms.
    You know what I never understood? The icon representing "Search" is almost invariably a magnifying glass.

You don't use a magnifying glass to search, you use a magnifying glass to examine something in detail.
    Well, what should it be, Miss Smartypants?
    (2015 self)
    It should be a mop!

I mean a Map!
  • A map of a mop store.
    My first thought was a flashlight (as if you're conducting an outdoor search for something), but I'm not sure if that makes any more sense, honestly.
  • A map of a mop store made out of magnifying glasses.
    dammit now i want a magnifying glass to play with

i had a cheap little one around here somewhere but i don't know where it went
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    A searchlight.

Or a metal-detector.

Maybe a gold pan?
  • Mag-scan, clearly.
    Space telescope.

Radar antenna.

Bloodhound.
    Heh, "bloodhound" was actually my first thought but I figured it would be too hard to render at icon sizes.
  • edited 2013-02-19 23:47:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    A non-functional search engine: dowsing rods or a crystal ball

A search engine which doesn't work, but uses a selection of pre-defined 'results' pages to create the illusion that it does: TV detector van

Don't ask me why anyone would want to represent either of those.
    you sayin' crystal balls don't work
    you know i had no idea what a tv detector van was until one Google ago
    OK, fine, a crystal ball could represent a search engine that works by magic.
    ^^ You hardly ever see them nowadays, i assume because people got wise to them so they're no longer an effective scare-tactic.
    In the United Kingdom and the Crown Dependencies,
    any household watching or recording live television transmissions as
    they are being broadcast (terrestrial, satellite, cable, or internet) is
    required to purchase an annual television licence.
    Leave it to the British to find a way to make TV even worse
    It strikes me as a dubious concept to begin with. A TV tuner is a receiver, not a transmitter, so any technology to "detect" it would have to be looking for unintentional interference it gives off.

Even if that did legitimately work at some point, I'd imagine it'd be rendered useless nowadays, considering a modern house is full of mobile phones and laptops and the like that actually do transmit wireless signals.
    In other news, I finally figured out how to put my hair in a ponytail that doesn't look shitty! :D
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It was probably detecting the local oscillator in the tuner, or (more likely) the sawtooth waves coming off the line output transformer (what we'd call a "flyback" here). Either way, a CRT TV (hell, pretty much anything with a CRT in it) is easy to detect with the right equipment, and I've even heard stories of detector vans and SIGINT people being able to read screens from a few hundred feet away.
  • edited 2013-02-20 00:05:12
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The licence fee lets the BBC broadcast without commercial interruptions. It also enables them to broadcast unbiased, educational and niche content without worrying about funding, at least in theory.

It's by no means an ideal system, but it's not all bad imo, especially when you consider the amount of crap on the commercial channels.

^ The licence fee people pestered my parents repeatedly for a while back when they didn't even have a television, and they tried to claim their van had detected one.

They refuse to explain how the technology works, and evidence gathered by a detector van has never once been used in court.
    Derp, I hadn't thought about CRTs.

That would still fall under the category of "less effective now than 20 years ago", though...can you even buy new CRT TVs anymore?