The LGBT Thread

Comments

• Can anyone really claim to be pro-equality if they are opposed to gay marriage

no
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Is it normal to feel less attracted to a particular sex than you used to?
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    You mean like asexuality?
  • i think he means more feeling attraction to both genders and gradually gravitating more towards one or the other

which is normal
    Yes, that's what i meant.  i'm not asexual.
    well

I didn't know Bobby was bi so thats why I asked.
    That's ok.

i was kind of in denial about it for a long time.  i haven't told many people IRL and i'm still not sure how to come out to my family.
  • a8 said:

i'm still not sure how to come out to my family.

Any indications as to how they would respond?
    i'm really not sure, but i can't see them doing anything horribly drastic.  They're pretty liberal, really, but old-fashioned in some respects.

Mostly i'm just anxious and not sure how to say it.  i was thinking i might just 'accidentally' let it slip some time, or else wait until i have a boyfriend and cross that bridge then. >_>
  • I am bisexual but don't really talk about it.

I have no particular plans to come out to anyone, least of all my family, unless I suddenly acquire a boyfriend, which is roughly as likely as North Korea not being led by a crazy man.

I'm also rather afraid of being targeted. A lot of people don't really take well to the very idea of bisexuals and will generally insist I either "have one foot out the closet" or just have low standards.

• really i'm sorry i don't have any good coming out advice
    Naney said:

really i'm sorry i don't have any good coming out advice

How did you come out?
  • dropping copious unsubtle hints
    Naney said:

dropping copious unsubtle hints

I see
  • edited 2013-02-08 11:50:24
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I sat down and told my parents like a man.

And by like a man, I naturally mean that I was scared shitless and did it with the support of my sister.

But anywho, my coming out advice is basically to just do that: sit down and tell them there's something important you need to talk about, and then just drop the bomb.
  • edited 2013-02-08 11:59:24
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I'm also rather afraid of being targeted. A lot of people don't really take well to the very idea of bisexuals and will generally insist I either "have one foot out the closet" or just have low standards.

This worries me.

i dunno, in some respects the problem is just we're very reserved.  My dad asked me if i had a girlfriend one time (i didn't), but that's it.

i've tried testing the waters by mentioning LGBT stuff when it's come up in the news, because we talk about news sometimes.  When there's been violence they've been against that, otherwise they've seemed politely uninterested.  i regretted mentioning that Julie Burchill article to my dad though.
  • (*Googles*)

Oh that delightful thing.
    Sigh

My dad is weird because he really hates transpeople but is really okay with Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual people.
    That must suck.  i'm sorry.

i had noticed that people being accepting of the one aren't necessarily accepting of the other.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Yeah.

I've found a surprising amount of people to be not okay with bisexuals, for whatever reason. That logic just doesn't make sense to me; I mean, if you can accept that some people like the same gender and some people like the opposite gender, why can't you accept that some people like both genders...?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Because clearly bisexuals are just confused. Or in the closet. Or are all polygamous and just want an excuse to cheat. ...Yeah, I don't get it either.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Re: coming out: This is how my family found out I was bisexual.

Mother: Are you gay?
    Me: Wait, what?
    Sister: Gay. Are you gay?
    Me: (nervously) Um...no...
    Sister: Are you bi?
    Me: Yes.

It would still be another couple months before I came out of that OTHER closet, but this at least put me in a good mood.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I just casually dropped that I was bisexual into a conversation with my mother, then later did the same with my sister. Both times, the conversation just kind of continued. Both are more than OK with the idea, which is nice. I've been pretty successful with doing that with my friends as well, with the exception of one who was annoyed that I hadn't informed him earlier but ceased to care very quickly.

I'm really lucky. I feel kind of bad about it, even...

._.
  • Re: coming out: This is how my family found out I was bisexual.

Mother: Are you gay?
    Me: Wait, what?
    Sister: Gay. Are you gay?
    Me: (nervously) Um...no...
    Sister: Are you bi?
    Me: Yes.

It would still be another couple months before I came out of that OTHER closet, but this at least put me in a good mood.
    Do they know about your OTP with Anonus?
    ^ Yes.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yeah, they do, though this conversation happened before we were even a couple.

On an unrelated note: I feel exceptionally lesbian today. With an exception for Anonus, of course.

Yeah, they do, though this conversation happened before we were even a couple.

On an unrelated note: I feel exceptionally lesbian today. With an exception for Anonus, of course.
    Bloody part timers

Spoiler:
    Is that a good feeling sweets?

• The sadness will last forever.
    I'm bisexual but I tend to hide it in real life.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    man

you people want an LGBT thread this bad

we've got one!
  • edited 2013-03-21 13:55:44

You know, I've found I have more in common with the women in my family than the men.

For some reason this surprises me.

I'm not even trans and I'm like this.
    Naney said:

Can anyone really claim to be pro-equality if they are opposed to gay marriage

no

"Queers shouldn't be getting married! Nor straight people either! Seriously, fuck marriage!"
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I never saw the point of marriage as an institution.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I can see how it had a point in the past, but I don't know why anybody'd bother now.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Supposedly there are financial "benefits," plus the legal ability to visit your spouse in a hospital room.
    That's about it.
  • I like marriage because I like it.

I wanna get married and have a biiiig cake and not eat any of it because i don't like cake and stuff.
  • maybe we can have a huge multi-layered brownie instead OwO
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

That's about it.

And that's quite a big "it".
    Very well.

Actually, it's the ceremony stuff that annoys me most. Some people really go all out on that. Seems absurd. Also boring.
    I've had a lot of long conversations with a close friend of mine about the issues inherent in the institution and how the culture of the United States treats it. We have both basically come to the conclusion that while marriage is a great thing for some people, it should be more flexible on a fundamental legal level and de-emphasised as the "be all and end all" of a romantic relationship. You can be as in love with each other as possible and ready to share your lives together and still not be 100% certain that you want to get married, and that should be OK in the eyes of society. But it isn't, because our views and definitions of marriage are really rigid and ultimately pretty messed up.
    I will never ever marry anyone, ever. :D (i think)
    *gets married to the next poster*
    :o
    Wow! How did we end up here, imipolex? :o *is on the marriage altar*
    Those evil scheming lesbians are the reason we are married imi! :o
    We are in a lesbian marriage now?

Well, might not be so bad.
  • edited 2013-03-22 02:29:33
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    :o But that means you're a lady now! I'll bet the lesbians did it!! *marries with Miss Imipolex anyway*
    Now we are Mrs. and Mrs. G