Heaper Updates

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

I meant 4, I was being distracted.

In that case, I think I pretty much agree with you.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    You know, someone dissed Asura's Wrath because it was nothing but screamy anime men and QTEs.

And I went out and bought it, because dammit, I need that in my life sometimes.
  • edited 2012-07-14 20:08:02
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

So far I just wish Asura's Wrath on such constraining rails, but the makers set out to make a semi-interactive Anime, and that's exactly what they did.

It's still fun. Though I had some issues with the characters and kinda cliche plot.

Let me get my live blog...

All this being said, this discussion reminds me I need to play more of it.

Weee...three versions of Visual Studios on my work PC!

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    do any of them work properly

Two of them at least, the other is in beta. I haven't used it for anything, but figured I'd give it a shot.

The other two versions is because we're in the middle of upgrading our software environments, hopefully we can drop one eventully, but I doubt that will be anytime soon.
  • edited 2012-07-16 15:22:43
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    We're (read: I'm) still on VS 2008 here, jut that's partially because I'm lazy. I know of people who still insist on using VS 6 for some reason, even though it's well over a decade old at this point.

I have to use 2008 for some things, others, I can use 2010.

I downloaded the Release Candidate for 11, but I'm not sure what I can really do with it for work unless it has BIDS.
  • edited 2012-07-18 07:40:32
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    So today was an interesting day. Drank some coffee, showed the new guy around...oh, and my unit underwent a military police raid. 

They got us all in the lobby, reading out the banned contraband items. I sweated and fretted, like someone with something to lose, as I had possessed a camera phone with the camera removed. Drugs, outlawed cigarettes, camera phones; all things I did not have. But then the officer officer; "...and obscene materials, with either front or back nudity. If any of you have anything to declare, please declare right now." 

Before I knew it, my hand shot up. I could see surprise on several faces. One of them bade me to come forward, and asked me what I wanted to declare. "Obscene materials." I said, and the phrase was bitter in my mouth. He bade me to empty my pockets, and I did so. Upon discovering my smartphone, I simply said "I had the camera removed." and he handed it back to me with no further comment or probing. Perhaps he felt merciful upon me, I'll never know.

I took him upstairs with a beating heart, and showed him the library in my locker. He flipped through such things such as Skull Man, Infinite Kung-Fu, and Peacemaker, all depraved in their own ways, and none of them bore the "taint." But when he looked over Finder, A Young Bride's Stories, and Black Joke, my heart sank. Undoubtedly these works would have the nudity he searched for, and they were some of the best stories I have ever read (except Black Joke, that thing is trash). 

He took me downstairs, and for the next three hours I sat in their presence as they cataloged every page that bore bare breast, every image that showed naked buttocks. At first I fretted, like a man about to be hanged. Then I cursed myself in silence, I cursed the stringent policies of my nation beneath my breath. Then I wished that it wasn't really happening to me. I started rehearsing what to say at my trial, how to haggle. Then ennui and despair set in. 

They passed around a few forms and the evidence bag to sign, while I was trying to read 'Talisman' one last time, to say goodbye. But I didn't finish it. So I put the book in the plastic bag, and spent the rest of the day in low spirits. 

Now that I know the most severe punishment they can inflict, I don't really care what they do to me. I care about some of the greatest, strangest, most lovely and resonant sequential arts stories wasting away in an evidence locker until the stars grow cold, never to be seen, never to be read ever again. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    That's depressing.
  • What is that from?

I imagine "kingCracker's real life" is the answer to the question.

I'm not really familiar with Singaporean laws regarding what material is legal and what isn't, but I'd imagine we're getting a crash course via that post.

• How horrible.

I've heard Singapore isn't a great place to live but that's just absurd. 

Wait a minute. They send the police.

on raids.

to confiscate obscene material

where "obscene" is defined as anything with nudity of any kind?

That's like....that has to be over half of all media ever printed.

What if it's just written nudity?
  • edited 2012-07-18 16:49:36
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I'd imagine there are pros and cons compared to other first world nations, but yeah, police raids to confiscate "obscene material" seems like a big con.

Also, why are cameras on phones banned? 
  • If the "nudity is evil" train of thought runs throughout all policy on banned materials, it's probably to prevent people from taking/sharing nude photos, as a guess.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I had assumed it was to keep people from photographing potentially sensitive information.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I wonder if you're allowed to have obscene, soul-destroying, morality-mocking books like Ulysses and Naked Lunch.
  • edited 2012-07-18 17:43:43
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-07-18 18:14:45
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Firstly, it was MILITARY police, so it's an internal security sort of thing.

Second, it was routine. We all knew it was going to come, we just didn't know when, and I didn't know that certain things weren't allowed.

Thirdly, masturbation is illegal on government property, and this was presumably a measure to take away our wank material. But how you actively STOP people from jerking off, I have no idea.

Sixth, it was only graphical depictions of nudity. I also have in my possession a girly mag full of lingerie models that I picked up, and is far sexier than the likes of Finder, but everyone is clothed, so I was allowed to keep that. And yes, Naked Lunch is allowed as long as there are no nude illustrations.

Seventh, I bought all of these in bookstores on homesoil, so I presume that we are allowed to heartily wank as much as we please in our own homes.

Eight, the MP's were all super-nice about the whole thing, and actually tried to make me feel better.

Lastly, yes, camera smartphones are banned because of the transmitting of sensitive material.
    Fourth and fifth were evidently censored.
  • edited 2012-07-18 18:21:41

Crackers, do you do any writing in a professional capacity? (*If you've said so before, I forgot, sorry*)

Because that post was a great read, very engaging.
    Thirdly, masturbation is illegal on government property, and this was presumably a measure to take away our wank material.
    Who masturbates while on the job? O_o
  • edited 2012-07-18 18:21:52
  • But on the job?
    youmustbenewhere.jpg
  • My faith in mankind has taken yet another hit.
  • I don't think it will ever recover.
    The sooner you get to that point, the better.
  • edited 2012-07-18 18:34:49
    No, I don't write on a professional level, though I would like to.

And really while nobody wanks during office hours, there are those who need a quick tug before bed so they might sleep better.

Why the heck would my work make it easy to change my ethnicity, but not my address? 
    insert Michael Jackson joke here
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I got a new computer and a new laptop.

The regular computer is fast as hell. A fairly loaded page took about 10 seconds.

The catch? It was on Internet Explorer.
  • Saw Prometheus, it ping-ponged between greatness and utter suck. 

I know it's quite late for this and if you don't remember then it's totally fine, Justo, but can ya elaborate?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Gonna be away for a day or so, helping to clean up my grandpa's old house and garden (he lives with us now, but we're keeping it nice for prospective buyers).

I will update Zestpoole's adventure when I get back. :)
  • Hopefully by then I'll be caught up with the story.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Bye then.
  • @kingCrackers: Sorry to hear that your stuff got taken away.

Saw Prometheus, it ping-ponged between greatness and utter suck. 

I know it's quite late for this and if you don't remember then it's totally fine, Justo, but can ya elaborate?
    Some great plot ideas, very tense scenes, some very brave scenes to put in a movie, horrible dialogue, cliche characters.
  • edited 2012-07-25 20:47:31
    Sometimes I have these moments where I realize just how much of AU's posting quirks I've picked up over the past two years.

It's amazing, actually, that I've known him for over two years now...god, I just wanna give him a big hug.
    What are these quirks?
    Well, like, look at this post I made earlier:
    Goddammit, so many people on AARoads are engineers or work for state DOTs

Makes me ENVIOUS; why can't I have a cool job like that
    Aside from the subject matter, doesn't that seem like something you would post?
    I guess so.
  • Is there some sorta artdump thread around here?
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    Wow, what a day.  Got called out for something awful I did, almost got banned, made a fool of myself,  and realized that I cannot properly use the English Language.

I just want to hide in a hole somewhere.