The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2012-06-23 05:25:51
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-06-23 05:31:58
  • 82 and a half years old.

In other news

Terra

I forgot how much I absolutely adored this character when the show still ran.

I also still find it hilarious that her costume is welding goggles, a black t-shirt, some gloves, and yellow booty shorts.

• edited 2012-06-23 05:35:02
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That reminds me: watching The Avengers made me want to get into comic books.

This sounds like an expensive habit, though. :\
  • Step 1: Download Comical

Step 2: Acquire .cbr files

Step 3: Free Comics Forever! :D

and trust me, these things are everywhere. I found the entire run of Skeleton Key, which is an obscure Slave Labor Graphics title.

• edited 2012-06-23 07:46:37
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I agree with you that it has no place in humor but then again neither does murder, torture, among many other bad things. At the very least it would be wrong to cherry-pick one tasteless element and then give the others a thumbs up, at worst it would set a precedent that would eventually take them down among many other things via collateral damage. 

I don't actually agree with that, to be honest, because I do believe that black humour, while tasteless, may in some contexts be reasonably innocuous and even a healthy response to the darker parts of reality (it can even be a coping mechanism for some).

My problem with the comedic trivializing of rape specifically is that it's particularly irresponsible in this society.  In a society that strongly and unconditionally condemned all forms of rape to the extent that we condemn torture, murder or slavery, the use of rape in comedy would still be tasteless, but it wouldn't be so grossly irresponsible.
  • edited 2012-06-23 07:54:41
    TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Lumine said:

*is 82-and-a-half*

wheeeeeee i am an old person

*lounges in a retirement home, playing bingo and pretending that computers are novelty items, that gay people do not exist, and that my white, god-fearing, middle-class brethren are persecuted by an evil gay/Muslim/communist/terrorist/all-of-the-above conspiracy*

Oddly enough, all the old people in the closest retirement home are a lot less racist than some of the younger kids at my high school.
  • edited 2012-06-23 08:01:50
  • I awaken! ^_^
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Lumine said:

^ That is... unfortunate. :o

Well, those old people aren't racist at all.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Hey Clock.
  • Hey Fish, how are you?
    Same old, same old

Just swimming around

How about yourself?
  • Same old same old as well.

Space Colonies don't run themselves after all.
    They don't?

That little Hyrulian kid lied
  • edited 2012-06-23 09:21:18
    My maternal grandparents were. Then my dad happened.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It is late. 

I shall sleep.
  • edited 2012-06-23 12:57:31
  • I could quit if I wanted(evidenced by the fact that I did), but I likes you people and your opinions.
  • edited 2012-06-23 13:02:18
    I lurk too much.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

ragequit: the only way to quit

• My compulsive checking of tumblr may lead to my downfall, Korra-wise anyway.

Lumine: I don't want to say "stop posting", but I think thinking like that is a good reason to get off the computer and go do something else, just to break the cycle and prove you can.
    My problem with the comedic trivializing of rape specifically is that it's particularly irresponsible in this society. In a society that strongly and unconditionally condemned all forms of rape to the extent that we condemn torture, murder or slavery, the use of rape in comedy would still be tasteless, but it wouldn't be so grossly irresponsible.
    Agreed. Another reason rape jokes should be singled out is because it's more likely someone you're talking to has been raped (or is close to someone who's been raped) than murdered, tortured or enslaved.

(Tangentially related: is torture strongly and unconditionally condemned in the UK? It would be really great if that was the case in the US.)
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Hey, JZ.

Sounds tasty.

(Tangentially related: is torture strongly and unconditionally condemned in the UK?
    As far as I am aware it is, in fact there was a case recently about the torture of an Iraqi man in the custody of the British Army and there was punishments all round.
  • Irene: Except I don't have any, therefore my life is a meaningless void.
  • I always thought Jay looked kinda dumb in those jerseys he liked to wear near the beginning of his career.
  • ^YOU SHUT THE F**** ABOUT MY JERSEYS
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Haven said:

Agreed. Another reason rape jokes should be singled out is because it's more likely someone you're talking to has been raped (or is close to someone who's been raped) than murdered, tortured or enslaved.
    What about victims of attempted murder, though? On a similar note, the loved ones of someone who suicided.  One could argue that the aftermath for one is more or less worse than the other all day long,  but in the end they're all horrible things that will cause offense to someone if they're made the object of comedy, and if you single out one, it's going to snowball to take out the rest. That's the price of freedom of speech, you're always going to have that element scraping the bottom.

• mama mia mama mia

^YOU SHUT THE F**** ABOUT MY JERSEYS

You tell em, jigga
  • edited 2012-06-23 13:49:55
  • edited 2012-06-23 13:50:03
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.

Irene: Except I don't have any, therefore my life is a meaningless void.

Aww. Well, I just finished off our mini-pancakes. But anyway. How you doing?
  • Irene said:

Aww. Well, I just finished off our mini-pancakes. But anyway. How you doing?

I hate you (I've just been really waning pancake/waffles for like 3 months but haven't had the resources to make them. This is my repressed desires coming through.)

I'm okay; it's cold here though. I was hoping to go outside today. You?

Haven said:

What about victims of attempted murder, though? On a similar note, the loved ones of someone who suicided.  One could argue that the aftermath for one is more or less worse than the other all day long,  but in the end they're all horrible things that will cause offense to someone if they're made the object of comedy, and if you single out one, it's going to snowball to take out the rest. That's the price of freedom of speech, you're always going to have that element scraping the bottom.
    I hate to call you out on this, but you kind of ignored Fouria G's response. I get that you want to respond to Haven but you shouldn't just single him out.
    Oh cool there is a channel called "Four Seven" and it is launching on 4.7.12

How cool is that.