The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Haven was responding and agreeing with Fouria, though. So It seemed Forsythe was addressing both posters to me.

Is it really necessary to start getting meta about this discussion? 
  • edited 2012-06-23 14:09:27
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Man, we are NOT going to get all "OTC" up in this bitch.

Anyhow, I agree with Corporal_Forsythe. It seems silly that as a society we should decide some horrendous crimes can be considered fair game, while others are not. It's fine for people to pick and chose what's funny to them, but it seems odd to me to draw lines in the sand regarding what life altering tragic event we're allowed to make a punchline out of.
  • edited 2012-06-23 14:12:14
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Isn't polite to not make a punchline of most of them?

Unless the audience is fine with it.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    @Jumpingzombie: Sorry. :P Anyway, I hope you can get those. You got a Burger King nearby? They serve Pancakes during breakfast. I'm doing okay.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    I'm just saying that this:

I don't actually agree with that, to be honest, because I do believe that black humour, while tasteless, may in some contexts be reasonably innocuous and even a healthy response to the darker parts of reality (it can even be a coping mechanism for some).

My problem with the comedic trivializing of rape specifically is that it's particularly irresponsible in this society.  In a society that strongly and unconditionally condemned all forms of rape to the extent that we condemn torture, murder or slavery, the use of rape in comedy would still be tasteless, but it wouldn't be so grossly irresponsible.
    and this:

What about victims of attempted murder, though? On a similar note, the loved ones of someone who suicided.  One could argue that the aftermath for one is more or less worse than the other all day long,  but in the end they're all horrible things that will cause offense to someone if they're made the object of comedy, and if you single out one, it's going to snowball to take out the rest. That's the price of freedom of speech, you're always going to have that element scraping the bottom.

Don't really fit well.

I will add that it doesn't really refute Haven's argument either.
  • Irene: I'm a food snob. :P I demand high quality food (or at least food that's flavorful and not gross)
    JZ: Actually, the pancakes are pretty good there. But YMMV.
  • Irene: Hmm, it may depend on the place. Closest BK where I live is kinda gross.
  • My mom told me to try tutoring jobs. Most people want math tutors. Damn my deficient arithmetic skills!
    JZ: Ah. Mini-pancakes shouldn't cost too much. Not sure the price, really.
  • As far as I am aware it is, in fact there was a case recently about the torture of an Iraqi man in the custody of the British Army and there was punishments all round.
    Ah. I don't know if there are ever going to be punishments for Guantanamo; there were punishments for Abu Ghraib, but going by them you'd think torture was more acceptable than, say, smoking weed.

What about victims of attempted murder, though? On a similar note, the loved ones of someone who suicided. One could argue that the aftermath for one is more or less worse than the other all day long, but in the end they're all horrible things that will cause offense to someone if they're made the object of comedy, and if you single out one, it's going to snowball to take out the rest. That's the price of freedom of speech, you're always going to have that element scraping the bottom.

I don't think joking about suicide should be done either, especially not around someone who's lost someone to it. I don't think slippery slope arguments are great in general, but in this case particularly I don't see what the point is. "If we encourage people to respect others in one way, eventually they're going to start respecting others in other ways" sounds pretty great, actually. 

And yes, we have freedom of speech. I don't think rape jokes should be made illegal, because they're mostly only an outward expression of some more disturbing ideas. I hope it gets to the point where people don't use rape or "kill yourself" as a figure of speech.

(And I think Claus was right. While it is true, as Justice said, that I'm agreeing with Fouria, I didn't bring up the same points he did, and I think he said it a lot better than I did. Not that you have to respond if you don't want to, but it does kinda seem like you're going after the weak link.)

To be fair we have something of a slippery slope argument vs an argument ad populum. 
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I'm not trying to make a slippery slope argument as much as I'm trying to state that whatever is considered "offensive" is completely subjective and it's really not right to say one is way worse than the other with the metric of "or you're an insensitive jerk."  To me, all of this stuff is horrible and should be treated simply as it is: horrible.

•  To be fair we have something of a slippery slope argument vs an argument ad populum. 

I don't see how that applies. I'm not saying rape jokes shouldn't be made because they're unpopular, if that's what you're saying--the entire problem is that they aren't unpopular, and they should be.
  • Oh are we having morality arguments about comedy?

Sounds fun, I'm ah. I'm gonna go over here and like, read Doom Patrol or something, come get me when y'all are done.

• edited 2012-06-23 15:07:28

"Another reason rape jokes should be singled out is because it's more likely someone you're talking to has been raped (or is close to someone who's been raped) than murdered, tortured or enslaved."
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Ooooh

Is it okay to make Terrorism jokes in the USA because over it is fine despite the IRA thing.

Sure, you can make any joke you want about any subject you want

whether your audience will appreciate it is another matter

• edited 2012-06-23 15:18:02

^^...I'm not sure I follow, but people make terrorist jokes over here, yes.

They're definitely part of Seth McFarland of Family Guy fame's bread and butter.
  • "We're playing MAGIC THE GATHERING, wanna join?"

"OSAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

^^

Well Patrick Kielty makes jokes about how bad Al-Qaeda are at being terrorists and that if the IRA had done 9/11 then they would have survived.
  • Ooooh

Is it okay to make Terrorism jokes in the USA because over it is fine despite the IRA thing.

Jokes about terrorism are just plane wrong. >:/
  • who the hell is Patrick Kielty.

who the hell is Patrick Kielty.

Clearly someone who performs at a lot of children's birthday parties. :P
  • edited 2012-06-23 15:26:26
    The sadness will last forever.

bbbbbbbbb

Patrick Kielty is a comedian who, unsurprisingly, was born in Belfast.
    One of my secondary duties that took place during the week and weekends was the funeral detail where I was a rifleman with the 21 shot salute and all. Of of them was a bit higher profile than the others (for reasons I can't remember) which drew the attention of Phelps and his clan, who made sure to show up to make a scene. See, the GLBT community eventually stopped being offended by Phelps and started to treat him like a welcomed sideshow which didn't fit into his agenda of offending the shit out of everyone, so he moved on to dead troops. We did pretty much the same thing, by ignoring him. Its like his presence wasn't even there. But yes, you can make light of or joke or stir up shit any way you want in America barring yelling "fire!" in a theater, but it can't go anywhere unless the general public allows it to. 

Patrick Kielty is a comedian who, unsurprisingly, was born in Belfast.
    Whale, I'm beginning to think you may be a tad nationalistic.

Why because I said Kielty was born in Belfast and thats why he bangs on about the IRA?
  • edited 2012-06-23 15:38:43

Sammiches.

Why because I said Kielty was born in Belfast and thats why he bangs on about the IRA?
    Other things contribute to it too.
    Other things contribute to it too.

This year its allowed.
  • edited 2012-06-23 15:48:59

Next year, though...watch out!
  • edited 2012-06-23 15:50:58
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Justice42 said:

Next year, though...watch out!

Yup,

As the great Oscar Wilde said, "Patriotism is the vice of Nations".
  • It's gotten to the point where I actually find people hating on Nickelback annoying.

At worst, they're an extremely bland middle of the road band. Whoop de friggin' doo, find something else to rant about besides them, Justin Beebz, and Rebekah Black, please.

Oi.

• edited 2012-06-23 16:19:55

To be fair, they are exceptionally bad and their music keeps on getting played.

I can usually avoid Justin Bieber or Rebekah Black because I don't listen to that type of music. But Nickle Back gets a few more spins in radio stations I tend to listen to.

Though, on that note, I'm sure there are pop fans who feel exactly the same about those two. 

The radio makes it an interesting argument, often times you have to chose between a crap song, stations you don't really like, silence, or fumbling around for a CD (which likely costed money),  so there's at least some degree of inconvenience here.

Though, people sure do love their hyperbole. 

he_mad.jpg
  • Nickelback is...

I would rather listen to, in all seriousness

• Justice42 said:

To be fair, they are exceptionally bad and their music keeps on getting played.

Here's the thing though.

Nickelback is really not a horrible band, they are mediocre.

Now, that is an opinion and I can acknowledge it as such. Likewise, I actually don't hate Justin Bieber's music, and actually find him pretty amusing as a person (c'mon, he knows fucking Raekwon from the Wu-Tang Clan). Rebekah Black deserves nothing but my sympathy for being the target of as much unwarranted hatred as she's gotten.

All of that is opinion, 

so I just do not understand why people can't acknowledge that their deeply held belief that Nickelback is Satan is also an opinion, and then move on.

You can not like them all you want, I mean, sure, go ahead and hate them, but Nickelback still sells records and probably will until they eventually fizzle out.

I just don't get how people can take music, and honestly, media in general so damn seriously.

This is why I don't get why people ranting on bad things is funny. Because all it is, to me, is a bunch of opinions floating in the air. That's all discussion of media ever is. Does that mean you can't have meaningful discussion about it? No, of course not, but it does not mean you should get angry at people who disagree with you because they are somehow disparaging the artform.

I'm not saying you, in particular, are, Justice. Just in general, all of the above is in general.

I think I need a nap now.

Naw, it makes sense.

I do think stuff like "Can this Pickle get more fans than Nickle Back" is pretty hilarious, but then again, I think that gag was stolen from someone else.

On one hand, I agree that there's a lot of people who are possibly hating on something just cause it's popular to hate, on the other. Some pretty funny stuff comes out of people's over-the-top hate, so I'm not all that miffed by that side of the community.