A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I never attempted to analyze that one or paid much notice to the lyrics.

I liked it because it's catchy, and also it gets points for mentioning a payphone.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Aaron Sprinkle: Moontraveler — Didn't grab me.
    Aaron Sprinkle: The Kindest Days — DID grab me. Definitely more rock than Moontraveler or Bareface. Also there's a new recording of "Based on a True Story", a song that I had completely forgotten how much I liked. Now I need to find out where I first heard it. [researches] Ah, a demo version was on Five Minute Walk's Take Time to Listen Vol. 3 compilation.
    Fleming & John: The Way We Are — Fleming sings like an opera diva trying to do punk. John plays darn near every instrument in existence. Somehow, this is a pop album.
    The Choir: Chase the Kangaroo — The platonic ideal of white 80s music. But with the melodies and lyrics to actually make it work.
  • I don't mention it much here, but I'm actually fairly big on CHVRCHES

"Lungs" has to be one of my favorite pop numbers in years, and I like a good number of the rest of the tracks

I do agree that their male singer isn't as engaging as a vocalist, but I was never particularly bothered by it
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-06-27 06:17:38
    re: Maroon 5: I legitimately cannot get behind the idea that Adam Levine is a bad vocalist. He's got annoyance potential for sure, but that'd be more from being overplayed than any fault of his own.

Overexposed, their last album, had really slick production values and some really good singles (and one song I am pissed that never got a proper radio release) but it was too pop for its own good and made the band seem less band-y.

I'm hoping they find a good middle between the Overexposed and It Won't Be Soon Before Long sounds for their new work.
    Hey Mo, have you heard of Ìxtahuele? I just saw their music video for "Stone Gods of Bimini" and I think they're relevant to your interests.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tre said:

I don't mention it much here, but I'm actually fairly big on CHVRCHES

"Lungs" has to be one of my favorite pop numbers in years, and I like a good number of the rest of the tracks

I do agree that their male singer isn't as engaging as a vocalist, but I was never particularly bothered by it

It's worth mentioning that all three of the band members sing on their work, but one of them—his name is escaping me; I remember him as "large fellow in snapback hat"—takes the lead on any of the tracks on the LP. Their bassist provides a good chunk of the backing vocals, but I think the only song he sings lead on is "ZVVL" from their first EP.

I like them, too. And yes, "Lungs" is delightful. Such dissonance between the melody, the instrumentation and the lyrics.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I wanna get a piano-thingy this weekend~
    Got linked to an editorial about Luxury, a band whose music has never really grabbed me (beyond a song or two). But the very last paragraph raises an interesting point, which really ought to be the subject of its own essay:

I have the feeling that the wrongest thing you can say about popular music – apart from the canard that writing about it is like “dancing about architecture” – is that it has to in some sense be “evil.” Sure, a lot of the best rock music in history has been prophetic, or shocking, or angry, or sensual, but above all, so much of it has been so beautiful. There is no need to restrict rock and roll to a one-dimensional caricature of 1980’s sex-and-drugs hair metal. The alleged “transgression” of so much popular music strikes me as utterly conventional, a rehashing of tired tropes about rebellion, excess, and social deviance. Maybe this is just me, but I’d rather listen to a band that makes me flirt with the idea of selling everything I own and giving it to the poor. And maybe the most transgressive thing a rock band could do is to serve the Eucharist.
  • As someone who is both a Christian and a huge music fan, I have never heard any pop Christian music that has struck me as anything but soulless marketing.

Maybe that's my problem, I dunno.
    The marketing machine is omnipresent, but sometimes a musician with genuine vision gets heard.

That said, the scene seems to be slowly dying. The marketing machine seems to be focusing more and more on pushing formulaic "praise & worship", so the musicians with any creativity are deciding to throw their hat into the mainstream or the "indie" scene, rather than trying to work with the major Christian labels. There are a few independent Christian labels, like Velvet Blue Music and Sounds Familyre, but they're becoming rarer and rarer.

It's probably for the best. Christians are supposed to engage the world, not hide from it in their own subculture.
  • Precisely.

Plus I'm always deeply skeptical of anything to do with mainstream American christianity. I worship in my own way thanks.
  • somebody rec me indie rock you think I'd like based on what you know about me
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    My recommendations for you are Orange Juice's You Can't Hide Your Love Forever and Cornelius's Fantasma.
  • edited 2014-06-28 20:09:09
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Follow the links to sample songs from those albums. The albums sound pretty consistently like these songs, and I think the overall sound of them is fairly self-explanatory:

Listening to Indian's From All Purity.

This album is a fucking beast so far, and I'm barely two tracks in. Good stuff. Reminds me of a cross between early Swans, Eyehategod and Temple.
    Finished!

Hmm. Interesting: A four-and-a-half-minute power electronics breakdown in the middle of a black/doom album and it fits perfectly. I dig that. The first track is still probably my favourite: It uses every minute of its runtime to its full murderous, hellish potential.
  • i looked them up and they sound really great

at the moment though i am listening to some legendary pink dots and they are really good
    Yes, they most certainly are.

What album, if I may ask?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Wow, multitrack hard disk SD recorders are dirt-cheap now.
  • Yes, they most certainly are.

the crushed velvet apocalypse
  • if any of you have not checked out FKA Twigs yet you should
    sunn wolf said:

Yes, they most certainly are.

the crushed velvet apocalypse
    Great album. Need to listen to it again. Haven't listened to "The Safe Way" or "The Green Gang" in ages...
    How so?
  • This is the the first time I've ever released a record that's not dubstep or drum and bass. It's not house or techno either - I tried to create 5 fun tracks that fit into no genre, or maybe a whole new genre altogether!
    > tries to create new genre

> sounds like Rustie outtakes
    Ah, true.

To be fair, I don't dislike the track, and it doesn't sound like it's trying to be any one thing in particular, but I have definitely heard that kind of sound before.
  • edited 2014-07-01 12:05:02
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Fun fact: The downbeat, peculiar twee-pop outfit The Aisler's Set do a fine cover of Joy Division's "They Walked In Line".
  • edited 2014-07-01 12:26:05
    Oh, hey, there's a new LP by A Sunny Day In Glasgow. I forgot that they existed. I liked their début a lot.

EDIT: A bit more upfront on this new single. And they're using the same organ as The Blue Orchids, apparently. I'll have to hear the rest of this to say how I feel about this, but their production is still pretty enjoyably bizarre.

EDIT #2: Well, that went in an odd direction. Don't want to spoil the surprise, but that was an interesting digression.

EDIT #3: What I first heard of theirs and enjoyed was actually Tout New Age, not their first LP. Silly me. Still, great little album. Very strange.
    http://weirdestbandintheworld.com/the-weird-100/

I'm surprised at how many items on that list I recognize. Of course, it's ordered by blog-post pageviews, so it's as much a measure of popularity as of weirdness.
    I like that blog. It's fun and generally a good way to find new music, whether merely amusing or genuinely cool.
    I think Starflyer 59's Easy Come Easy Go 1994–2000 is simultaneously the worst "greatest hits" compilation ever, and the best. But only if you can get a physical copy. Worst because they just took the first three songs from each Sf59 album (at the time) and stuck them on a disc. That is not a joke; they actually did that. And the best because there's a second disc containing nothing but really great, obscure Sf59 tracks, many of them not available anywhere else. And the liner notes have a very in-depth and opinionated history of the band, written by a professional who also knows Sf59 frontman Jason Martin.

So it lazily and hilariously fails at its alleged reason for existing, but it has enough great stuff that it's worth owning anyway.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I like entry-level garbage pleb band The Paper Chase.
    John Congleton produced To Be Kind. I don't think that hipsters are allowed to hate him.
  • edited 2014-07-02 18:03:25

he has also done some halloween sound effect CDs
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    naney said:

he has also done some halloween sound effect CDs

I need to find these for any halloween parties I might throw.
    Wow.

Talk about quality control.
  • or have they?

(*woo-woo noises*)

because it's death grips y'know?
    I feel like it's best they ended before they started becoming a caricature of themselves.

I give them props for realizing that before it actually happened.
  • edited 2014-07-02 18:11:06
    ^^ True point. But that would be the most Death Grips thing to do: Simply cease to exist. Maybe only temporarily, but still.
  • Death Grips were kind of like The KLF. Except overrated. And generally unlistenable. And kind of terrible.
    ...except they're not really trying to be The KLF?
    Who said that...?
  • where is that quote from?
  • oh, it was from a tweet - which got quickly deleted apparently
  • ah

idk why you'd bother to respond to that honestly
  • edited 2014-07-02 18:29:13
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    That was on the Twitter feed of a casual acquaintance of mine. 

I looked back and the tweet's already gone, though.

I'm inclined to agree with Naney, at any rate.
  • which reminds me, i never really found the KLF terribly interesting

(*shrug*)
    I find The Manual to be a fun read, but I can understand not liking them.

(*also shrugs*)