A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• I am going to listen to the album on Youtube.
  • Had to kill it around five minutes in. The weird vocal noises actually made me jump.

Up until then it was fine though, and if I were in a different mood I might appreciate it more.

I'm going to try to run through some stuff by post rock names I know but have not heard material from.
  • I was indulging my old Gothness earlier by playing a bunch of the obscurer Sisters of Mercy tracks.

Andy Taylor is still a raging asshole, but damn in his prime he had talent.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    omg Sisters of Mercy :D
  • His voice, before he killed it with too much speed and cigarettes, still gives me the good shivers.  'Twas already going by the time of Floodland, though.
  • edited 2014-06-20 04:50:12
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Had to kill it around five minutes in. The weird vocal noises actually made me jump.

Up until then it was fine though, and if I were in a different mood I might appreciate it more.

I'm going to try to run through some stuff by post rock names I know but have not heard material from.

Try it out some other time. I think you'll dig the sampling and general vibe. It's kind of like a weird scattershot precursor to GY!BE, OPN and The Books all at the same time, but with vibraphones and dulcimers and Gira and Jarboe being awesome.

^^^ I love some of Sisters of Mercy's work. Get "First and Last and Always" and "This Corrosion" stuck in my head a lot.
  • What always amused me is that the lyrics to "This Corrosion" are entirely about Wayne Hussey of The Mission, who as you may remember had just split from the Sisters to found his own band after falling out with everyone's favorite speed paranoiac asshole.

Hussey's a nice guy.  Met him a few times.  He lives in Huntington Beach, California these days, and dresses like a surfer most of the time.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I read some about that feud. It's strange. But they made lovely music.
  • I am looking more for pretty and a bit jazz-inflected stuff, like the two Tortoise albums I've now heard (Millions Now Living and TNT). Is any of that that?

it's one of my standard post rock recommendations and im rather late to the party, but tangled thoughts of leaving are a post-rock band with definite jazz influences and a use of electronics you will find interesting. 'Deaden the Fields' is their best

also you should check out her name is calla who are probably the best active post rock group in the UK at the moment, the quiet lamb is a gorgeous album and well worth a listen

vash covered all the post rock classics p well so that is some more contemporary stuff for you
  • edited 2014-06-20 06:11:59
    oh u want stuff that sounds like tortoise. TToL might do that for you tho they are a bit heavier in places

her name is calla is not really like tortoise that much, but, there are some similaarities, and they are still very good
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I have heard Spiderland and it scared me badly enough that I deleted it off my hard drive.

I'd prefer to avoid anything too noisy, I'm not a fan of dissonance.

This made me try to think of music that creeps me out.

All I have is Shrivel-Up by Devo and the end of Wind-Up Toy by Alice Cooper.
  • edited 2014-06-20 17:43:51
    Odradek said:

I have heard Spiderland and it scared me badly enough that I deleted it off my hard drive.

I'd prefer to avoid anything too noisy, I'm not a fan of dissonance.

This made me try to think of music that creeps me out.

All I have is Shrivel-Up by Devo and the end of Wind-Up Toy by Alice Cooper.
    Hmm...

A list in no particular order:
    1. Prurient's The Black Vase, specifically the title track and "Myth of Love".
    2. Sutcliffe Jügend's later work when it's not just trying too hard.
    3. Early Xiu Xiu at their most understated yet cracked, e.g. "Nieces Pieces".
    4. A handful of Swans tracks, specifically "Secret Friends".
    5. Current 93's Nature Unveiled, particularly "The Mystical Body of Christ at Chorazaim".
    6. Some spots on This Heat's two studio LPs, especially "Rainforest".
  • i cant think of any music that scares me tbh
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I tend to listen to things alone at night so that my senses will be heightened and I can take in every nuance. This can make things a lot more unsettling than if I were to listen to them in a normal setting. And I don't like emotionally backing out of being scared by a record because it makes the whole experience less exciting.

As an aside, the organ on "Secret Friends" is dope and I want to know how they got that timbre.
  • I don't think I've ever been legit frightened by a piece of music

I usually dig into the atmosphere too much to get creeped out by it
    I'm honestly just a 'fraidy-cat. Very easily made uncomfortable. But I like being uncomfortable sometimes.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Wait...
    How am I suppose to compose if I have ZERO musical knowledge? :|

Also, I'm not that much of a fan of Jaga Jazzist as I though I would be...
    Play a melody and remember how it goes. Start connecting melodies and rhythms together. In time you will have a song. That said, educating yourself about music is useful.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I will try to do that.

This is what I've used: http://milkytracker.org/
  • I'm honestly just a 'fraidy-cat. Very easily made uncomfortable. But I like being uncomfortable sometimes.

(*puts sheet over head, makes spooky woo woo noises*)
    Love, you are not a scary person at all.
    *pets the spooky kitty*

I am listening to Sevish now. His work is interesting.
  • i listened to Lifelover's "Sjukdom" earlier. it was their last album, so it was not very post punk sounding, but it was still very awesome. the album was pleasantly diverse, witch some definite goth-y and black'n'roll vibes, and some vocal samples that evinced a very dry, self-effacing sense of humor. the only thing that would make me pause ib recommending it would be their propensity for melodramatic, plaintive piano melodies which i quite liked but my not be everyone's cup of tea.
  • edited 2014-06-20 20:36:25
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I just took a listen to Chrome's Half Machine Lip Moves. It's a pretty fun combination of psychedelic noise guitar and post-punk beats. I'd recommend it to any fan of noise rock, since it's a crucial, albeit often overlooked, milestone in the development of that genre.
  • i used to listen to that album a lot back when i had illegally downloaded music

i should buy it sometime
    I have the Chrome Box in digital form. It is nice to have.
  • chrome is ok but i prefer matte finishes generally
    *ba-dum-TSSSSHHHHHH!*
  • edited 2014-06-20 22:01:49
    Reaching the end of CLPPNG and "Ends" is brilliant.

Oh, and their take on "Williams Mix" is the swagness.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Byakuren said:

Also, I'm not that much of a fan of Jaga Jazzist as I though I would be...

Which album(s) did you listen to? They vary quite a bit.

And if you somehow ended up listening to Jaevla Jazzist Grete Stitz, that one is just atrocious.
    Mo, if you're still looking for jazzy post-rock, you might like Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain, which is jazz that sounds a lot like post-rock.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I got to listen a bit of everything, only Endless Galaxy was "FUCKING AMAZING" to me.
  • Now that I finally have my internet back, I can finally talk about this really cool club I found in NYC called The Stone. The Stone is a not for profit club that specializes in Avant-garde jazz and experimental music that was founded by and supported through the Tzadik music label. Since they're not for profit, 100% of what they take in each night goes straight to the performers. Also, to support the club, instead of donations, they sell limited editions CDs. So if anyone here is a fan of John Zorn and other Tzadik artists, like I know several of us are, you should look into going to The Stone if you're ever in NYC and check their limited edition CDs if you've got some spare cash and help support a really cool club.

Here's some links to The Stone's websites and all the CDs for anyone interested:
    http://thestonenyc.com/
    http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=0002
    http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=0003
    http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=0004
    http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=0005
    Also the first place that Have A Nice Life in their post-Deathconsciousness incarnation.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    The fact that I can't find anything that really blow my mind anymore makes me upset.
  • Byakuren said:

The fact that I can't find anything that really blow my mind anymore makes me upset.

http://captainahab.bandcamp.com/album/the-end-of-irony
  • edited 2014-06-20 23:30:03

seriously if you reading this post right now have any faith in my taste in music at all you need to listen to The End of Irony in full posthaste

it is a religious experience that will change your life
    It is rockin'. I must confirm that.
  • i can also guarantee that you have never heard anything like it before
    It is the weirdest goddamn thing. Not in an alienating way, though, just...
    Byakuren said:

I got to listen a bit of everything, only Endless Galaxy was "FUCKING AMAZING" to me.

And none of their albums sound that much like "Endless Galaxy". The closest thing is "Toccata" from One Armed Bandit. Hopefully, their next album will end up going into that sound more.

My fave album by them is The Stix.
    Getting train money proved impossible today so no instrument. *shrug* One day I will be allowed to have a card that deals in Canadian money.
    I never know if my credit card will work or not... just like everything else in life.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I'm sorry :x
    *hug* :)
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Miko said:

I never know if my credit card will work or not... just like everything else in life.

Don't say that
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    *hugs*

i would support this kickstarter