A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• I actually kind of agree with that tweet.
  • edited 2014-07-02 18:54:35

late to the party but there is a new GODFLESH EP which will be a precursor to a new

GODFLESH album
  • edited 2014-07-02 19:11:36

so apparently Tim Lambesis, attempted wife hit-taker-outer-onner and former frontman of christian metalcore band of As I Lay Dying has come out as not, in fact, being as christian. He has also put forth the claim that none of his former band members are christian, and neither are the members of most of the other supposedly christian bands they toured with at various points.
  • Sunn 0)) does a lot of collaborative albums now that i think about it
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    They do collaborate with a lot of other people. Well-connected folkles, they are.

Either way, looking forward to this, quite a bit!
    Oh my god.

Just, really, wow.
  • TreTre
    edited 2014-07-03 09:44:11
    I had a feeling they wouldn't last forever.

That's probably for the best, though. Pitchfork may be jerkish hipster garbage, but their fear that DG would eventually get stale actually makes sense given how hard and fresh their stuff was when The Money Store was new.

Secretly hoping they aren't fully finished, though.
    Well, the second disc of powers that b still hasn't dropped, and given what the first half sounded like, this is shaping up to be possibly their most interesting release to date. While it would be awesome to see them do more stuff after that in some form, I like that if they are going out, they are going out on a very high note. Furthermore, I can see them remaining influential for years based on the strength of what they have dropped regardless, even if no-one goes down precisely that same path.

And who could, really? Burnett's whole way of rapping depends on the fact that he is technically versatile (as their latest demonstrates handily) but intentionally goes overboard in some very specific ways; and the core of their beat style relies on Zack Hill's drumming, which is remarkably virtuosic regardless of how simple or complex the rhythm is. And that's not even getting into Flatlander's production and use of synths and samples. It is a very rare combination.
  • man YALL AINT TALKING BOUT NEW GODFLESH

FIRST ALBUM IN OVER 10 YEARS
    I am less excited than I probably should be. I can't put my finger on why, aside from general wariness about those sort of reformations. Then again, Godflesh have been doing stuff on and off for the last decade, and it's not like Broadrick does this sort of thing for the money (*coughFrankBlackcough*), so...
  • well there is an EP out already so you can judge things for yourself!
  • pretty much it sounds like Godflesh but with 8 STRING GEETARS (*meshuggah crying tears of joy off in the distance*)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    i'd do anything for you, why would you wanna break u*shot*
  • he's giving me so much Gideon Graves vibes rn

I'm half expecting him to cough up a coin
  • I downloaded a bunch of albums yesterday and everyone should listen to The Go! Team's Thunder, Lightning, Strike!

Here is its lead single, "Ladyflash". AFAIK, a bunch of people playing over old doo-wop and hip-hop samples.
  • edited 2014-07-04 22:21:15
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I've already known about that album for some time. It's pretty awesome, and the song you mentioned is a particular highlight.

On a vaguely-related note, were the albums I showed you earlier among those downloads?
  • no, actually, I'm sorry ^_^;

I downloaded a bunch of stuff off of one of Pitchfork's staff lists as I sometimes randomly do
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    ah, fair 'nuff 

I hope I wasn't too pushy with my curiosity. 

Exercises like the one you just mentioned can be fun sometimes.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Far East Mention Mannequins (FEMM) is like a totally different orbit of the music I listen to.

But wow, I like it.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Pet Shop Boys: Bilingual. Reminds me of Very with harder production in the non-ballad songs, and Spanish influence in the ballads.

David Byrne: davidenryd. Very 90s alternative rock, and not a lot of Byrne's own style. One wonders if he was jumping on the bandwagon. Still has some interesting moments.
    Aw yeah, Frank Lenz was a guest musician on Daniel Amos' Mr. Buechner's Dream.
    MetaFour said:

David Byrne: davidenryd. Very 90s alternative rock, and not a lot of Byrne's own style. One wonders if he was jumping on the bandwagon. Still has some interesting moments.

Perhaps he was just writing in an unfamiliar style as an exercise. That would be very Byrne of him.
  • edited 2014-07-05 18:07:50
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    And I suspect it will grow on me after a few more listens. I didn't get his Rei Momo at first, but now I absolutely love it.

I wonder how many songs from davidenryd he incorporated into his live show. I've seen videos, and apparently every time he puts out an album in a new style (i.e. every time he puts out an album) he rearranges his old material to fit the new style. Like, playing "Psycho Killer" with electronic beats and pedal steel, or "Neighborhood" with St. Vincent and a brass band.
  • edited 2014-07-05 21:11:05
    Daniel Amos: Mr. Buechner's Dream. It's supposed to be a double album, but it strikes me more as two separate albums packaged together. Each seems like it would stand alone just fine, though Disc 1 is the stronger of the two. Seriously, 20 songs on Disc 1 and not a clunker among them (on first listen at least). Darn impressive.

Wynton Marsalis Septet: Citi Movement (Griot New York). Bebop with some interesting moments of New Orleans-style polyphony. Kind of overwhelming on first listen.
  • edited 2014-07-06 13:05:57
    Duke Ellington & His Orchestra: Uptown. Reworked and extended versions of several classic songs. Very interesting, but I think I prefer the originals. 

Television: Marquee Moon. Love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love

Thievery Corporation: Babylon Rewound. Remixes, mostly dub, of an album I haven't heard yet. I don't think "Until the Morning" really merited two different remixes, but otherwise I like it.
  • i am rediscovering my deeply held love for Caravan. there's just something so naive and nostalgic about them. it's just a bunch of dudes singing about dragons and flirting with women on golf courses and stuff like 'life's too short to be sad', and then there's a fully sick synth solo. theyre one of those bands where i can't understand how anyone could possibly dislike them

also 'Love To Love You' still sounds astonishingly fresh, if you told me it was recorded yesterday by some twee indie pop band i'd believe it
  • edited 2014-07-06 14:41:52
    Duke Ellington: The Bubber Miley Era: 1924-1929. Duke found his voice very quickly.

Like at least 12 other people, years ago I heard Baby Cox's scat solos on three of Duke Ellington's 1920's singles and wondered, "Who is that? Where can I hear more of her?" Then I asked the internet and found that the internet didn't know either.

Hoping against hope, I searched again today, and found a blog article. http://devilattheconfluence.blogspot.com/2013/09/lonnie-johnson-and-baby-cox-with-duke.html So now I'm happy that this obscure performer had a successful career, but still sad that she never recorded anything beyond those songs with Duke.
  • ^^I love pretty much all of their early-to-mid 70's albums, though I've became particularly fond of their '68 debut album lately
    Man or Astro-Man?: Experiment Zero. Crazy fun.
  • Khanate is very dope
    Khanate are indeed very dope.
  • it's the best name for a form of government
    "Ilkhanate" is better, but still, yes.

Khanate are probably one of my favourite doom metal acts.
  • edited 2014-07-06 18:16:57
    Louis Armstrong & His All-Stars: Satchmo at Symphony Hall. Didn't make much of an impression, oddly enough.

Lemon Jelly: Lost Horizon. I tentatively like it better than '64–'95 (which I like quite a bit).

Electronic: Electronic. The best New Order album that New Order never made?
  • edited 2014-07-06 19:07:45

i didn't check out Indian for the longest time because from their name i was assuming that they were one of those kinda metal hard rock-y outfits that Relapse signs sometimes

i have never been so happy to be so wrong OwO
    They are deliciously hellish.
    Röyksopp: Melody A.M. Takes a few songs to get going. The bonus disc of remixes is pretty cool though, if short.
  • edited 2014-07-06 19:54:37

so having listened to Deathconsciousness again i have reached an opinion on the album

the album is like looking up into the night sky at the end of time while all the stars in the sky go out one by one and then some dude drives up with a dumptruck full of pillows and starts to slowly pour them onto your head and you turn to the dude and you're just like "dude no wtf" but you can't stand up for some reason and you end up lost in an endless sea of pillows
  • edited 2014-07-06 19:55:10

so basically a 6-to-7/10
  • also like imagining there's the space shuttle Challenger disaster occurring in slow motion in the background
  • bloodhail is a dope jam tho
    I disagree about the part with the pillows, although there are moments where the effects are somewhat unnecessary, like the filtered vocals on "Holy Fucking Shit: 40,000". The Unnatural World is better with that, but it is also less unpredictable and intense.
  • edited 2014-07-06 20:37:21

that's just sorta the feel i got, i wasn't referring to anything specific
    Ah, I understand.

"Bloodhail" is indeed dope, although I personally don't think there's a dud track.