A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    We must make that happen.

Also, I need to listen to the next two parts of 69 Love Songs because the first disc is hilarious and sad and I want more of the same for once.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Something odd happened today. I hit up a different CD Exchange today and picked up, among several other albums, The Special's self-titled CD. Upon getting home, I took the CD out to rip it to my computer, and the liner notes were surprisingly thick. I opened those up, and found the previous owner had stuffed Wire's Chairs Missing in there.

It would be a happy accident, but I already have that CD and this one's pretty scratched up.
    Weird! And period-appropriate.
  • apparently burzum put out an album this year and last year

and i was wondering about why i hadn't heard about them, but then i realized that all of the metal news sites must have used varg's renunciation of metal and genre shift back to ambient music to finally start ignoring him for good
    Heh.

You know, I have heard very little Burzum in general. It's strange.
  • he'd be fun if you're the sort who's willing to overlook murder and racism.

and he's very influential

but as is you cant really recommend listening to him, yknow?
  • he does choose very nice cover art
    Yeah, but YouTube exists. Which means I can listen to him without too much guilt, beyond the obvious puzzlement of who he is and that he exists.

Sort of like listening to anything by Slave State, although I think their imagery was more a shock thing...
  • well

he is a neopagan who wishes to expel all that is foreign from scandinavia, including Christianity and not white people, whom he considers inferior to white people but in more of a go to another continent and leave me alone way than a genocidal way. he was a nazi for a while, but has since renounced that, and has spoken out against racial violence on a few occasions. most of his solo career has been concept albums built around traditional myths and whatnot. he currently lives in france with his wife and likes d&d a lot.

musically speaking he is most notable for being a pioneer in fusing black metal with more ambient forms of music, and for being one of the first solo black metal musicians, setting the template for countless bedroom guitarists who love ripping off early Darkthrone.

of course, he is most famous for repeatedly stabbing fellow Mayhem member Euronymous in the face 20-odd times. he claims to this day that it was in self defense, and there was only one other possible witness so (*shrug*)
  • edited 2014-06-22 00:22:39

musically speaking his compositions meander and get kinda boring

that is all i have to say on the matter
    Yeah, I was aware of those things. He's an exceedingly odd person on numerous levels.
  • gotta love the "it's not racist if I just want you to go away" types
  • gotta love the "it's not racist if I just want you to go away" types

he doesnt claim to not be racist at all

not that that really effects things one way or another
    True.

One positive thing that I can say is that his bass work on that one Mayhem album he worked on - incidentally with the dude he stabbed - is actually quite solid. Good, audible bass work in that strain of black metal is not so common as it should be.
    It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that "Freddie's Dead", the opening track of Fishbone's Truth and Soul, was a cover of the Curtis Mayfield song.
    I have had that happen before.

On the other hand, sometimes you get songs where the title is the same, the contents are completely different... and yet they are connected somehow. Or completely unconnected, yet one artist clearly influenced the other in some way.
  • edited 2014-06-23 00:07:41
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Initial listening thoughts on my recent windfall so far:

Operation Ivy: Operation Ivy — I've heard great things about this one, but it didn't quite live up to the hype. However, I suspect I'll like this one more on repeat listens.
    Duke Ellington: Three Suites (specifically, The Nutcracker Suite, Peer Gynt Suites 1 and 2, and Ellington/Strayhorn's own Suite Thursday) — It's Ellington. Of course it's great.
    The Specials: The Specials — Quality two-tone. Met expectations.
    The Orb: The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld — The last album I heard by them, ORBVS TERRARVM, was a grower, so I expect this one will be as well. Still, I doubt these guys are going to dethrone Orbital from the "best band with orb in the name" throne in my heart.
    Orchestra De Cambra Teatre Lliure avec Pablo Mainetti: Astor Piazzolla: Tango: Concerto Pour Bandoneon — I thought at first that this was a Piazzolla record; turns out it's an orchestra (with bandoneon) performing Piazzolla compositions. I think I prefer the smaller band interpretations.
    Mazzy Star: So Tonight That I Might See — Had to check them out because I was frequently told that Thayer Sarrano, another musician I love dearly, sounds a lot like them. And they certainly do sound a lot alike. But I think I prefer Thayer Sarrano.
    Dick Dale: Tribal Thunder — YES. ALL THE YES IN THE UNIVERSE. I love Mr. Dale's classic albums, but I have to admit that they're full of filler. There is no filler here. Just shredding.
    Afro Celt Sound System: Volume 3: Further in Time — Wonderful. A bit less focus on the "Celt" part this time, and a bit more focus on FUNK.
    Conjunto de Arpa Grande Arpex: Tierra Caliente — Kind of grated after a while. Maybe I'll like it more on later listens.
    Over the Rhine: Ohio — I keep hearing individual songs by this band that have this really lovely ambience, but when I check out the album, the rest of the songs are way more generic. It happened again.
    Fishbone: Truth and Soul — I wasn't expecting so much genre roulette. I'm not sure what to make of it yet. 
    Burning Spear: The World Must Know — Very, very early-90s, almost painfully so, but still pretty good on the first listen.
  • ridonkulously huge bunnybrains compilation get
  • and then on my way home i decided to go a mile out of my way to goodwill where i picked up

Bjork - Medulla

Earth - Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version

The Locust - Plague Soundscapes

Minor Threat - Complete Discography
    Efterklang: Parades — Reminds me of Anathallo, only boring.
  • edited 2014-06-23 19:27:41

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-review/jack-white-lazaretto

tinymixtapes performs a Pitchfork-style panning, much good fun
  • it boggles my mind that there are people who think that Jack White is anything but unlistenable.
  • edited 2014-06-23 19:40:19
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Again, The White Stripes had some legitimately good material that took blues-rock into some cool directions. But pretty much everything else he's done has been a waste of that promise on some level.

Well, OK, The Raconteurs had a few good tracks, but they're like AC/DC in that they are a five-song band at best.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

it boggles my mind that there are people who think that Jack White is anything but unlistenable.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xktglq_insane-clown-posse-mozart-jack-white-leck-mich-im-arsch_music
    Yeah, I heard about that.

Let's not rehash dirty musical jokes from the Classical era unless we plan to be clever about it, shall we?
  • edited 2014-06-24 14:39:54
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I just listened to "Lazaretto" (the song) and thought it sounded too much like Rage Against The Machine to take seriously. I do agree with Sredni on The White Stripes and The Raconteurs, though.

I also thought that those Meg White quotes were taken out of context. To my understanding, the fragility of their relationship was due to the fact they were former lovers who got divorced, not because of whatever this reviewer is talking about.
    Yeah, being on shaky ground with someone because you're still working together after having a bad breakup with them is different from having creative conflicts with them. Some people can keep working like that and be quite happy - Coil had a solid working relationship after they stopped living together - but it's difficult for some people, and understandably so.
  • edited 2014-06-23 22:56:20
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    mewithoutYou: it's all crazy! it's all false! it's all a dream! it's alright — So I've come full circle. About this time last year, Section42L shared the music video for "the Fox, the Crow and the Cookie" from this very album, which rekindled my then-faded interest in mwY. I started with their older albums and worked forward in time, and now that I've finally arrived holy hell this album is great. "the Fox etc etc." is rather un-representative of the album as a whole. That song made me expect an album of folk with some baroque-pop flourishes, and Aaron Weiss trying his Darnielle-est to sound like the Mountain Goats. What I got instead was a post-punk take on baroque-pop, with Weiss's conviction crackling just underneath the superficially goofy animal fables in the lyrics.

Jono was wrong. This album is great.

Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin & Al Di Meola: The Guitar Trio — Dammit guys, just because you're in a studio doesn't mean you have to play slower this time!

Tortoise & Bonnie Prince Billy: The Brave and the Bold — It doesn't sound much like Tortoise, I can't tell how much it sounds like Bonnie Prince Billy, and it's all cover songs. I have no idea what to make of this album.
  • and then on my way home i decided to go a mile out of my way to goodwill where i picked up

Bjork - Medulla

your goodwill shops are so much better than the ones i have immediate access to srsly

i nearly died when i found a royal trux cd in my local oxfam books once and thats about the extent of Good Music ive stumbled across  in them
  • u could find some good stuff in london charity shops but man it is hopeless in this little university city Up North
  • edited 2014-06-24 08:28:14
    re: jack white

the white stripes: some good songs
    the raconteurs: fewer good songs
    the dead weather: one good song
    jack white solo: no good songs

he always seemed like a pretty eccentric dude and i appreciate that often eccentricity breeds great music, but eccentricity when given money and fame almost exclusively produces garbage

incidentally my fave jack white thing is the stripes' live in the basement cover of Captain Beefheart's 'party of special things to do' and a good half of why i like it is almost certainly down to beefheart, still worth seeking out tho
  • sunn wolf said:

and then on my way home i decided to go a mile out of my way to goodwill where i picked up

Bjork - Medulla

your goodwill shops are so much better than the ones i have immediate access to srsly

i nearly died when i found a royal trux cd in my local oxfam books once and thats about the extent of Good Music ive stumbled across  in them
    usually goodwill has no good cds, but sometimes they'll surprise you with like Derek Bailey
  • I found a working rock organ in a Salvation Army once

it was out of my price range, unfortunately. :(
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i really like the White Stripes, and i loved Broken Boy Soldiers, too

if those are being called 'unlistenable' i just don't understand that at all, like, what?

if it's Jack White's solo stuff i can't really comment, haven't paid much attention to it
  • Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I genuinely cannot listen to any White Stripes song that's not "Seven Nation Army", which is alright.
  • oh "Icky Thump" is OK too I guess.

Jack White's solo stuff is way worse though.
  • edited 2014-06-24 14:16:27
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ That is one of my favourites.  ^ Icky Thump is another good one.

I'm completely baffled, but yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
  • This is totally just a me thing now that I think about it.

I really can't stand what I'd tentatively describe as "rocking for rocking's sake", and The White Stripes are just kind of all that.

I mean, I suppose that's fine, but it's not something I can sit through.

I have the same problem with The Black Keys, funnily enough.
    i love 'rocking for rocking's sake'

it's not clever or creative but it makes me happy and giddy
    like for a very long period of time in my teens my concerns when listening to a song went sort of like

1 is it melodic
    2 is the riff heavy
    3 is there a guitar solo, and is it a good guitar solo

and that was pretty much it, if it ticked all those boxes that was enough
  • Fair enough.

I say that but I like Def Leppard unironically, so basically I'm a piece of garbage with inconsistent opinions.
  • edited 2014-06-24 14:27:31
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    inconsistent opinions or eclectic tastes? :)

like what you like, it's not my business; sorry if i came off confrontational before
  • oh no not at all. Trust me I've seen confrontational.
  • also I'm still the only person under 50 who likes Jimmy Buffet so you can safely disregard much of what I say on those grounds alone.
  • Not to dogpile on you, Mo, but I'm not sure what "rocking for rocking's sake" even means. I've honestly never encountered that phrase before.
  • Not to dogpile on you, Mo, but I'm not sure what "rocking for rocking's sake" even means. I've honestly never encountered that phrase before.

I don't know a better way to phrase it but there's a certain kind of rock song that just comes across--to me, anyway--as very like, self-absorbed.

Like the song only exists to show off how good at guitar-playing the frontman is, or something similar.

It's totally hypocritical because there are totally rappers like that too (anyone who's ever been called a "technique rapper" for instance. Tech N9ne is an example.), but I like technical showmanship in hip-hop more than I do in rock I suppose.

I don't know a better way to phrase it but there's a certain kind of rock song that just comes across--to me, anyway--as very like, self-absorbed.

Like the song only exists to show off how good at guitar-playing the frontman is, or something similar.

It's totally hypocritical because there are totally rappers like that too (anyone who's ever been called a "technique rapper" for instance. Tech N9ne is an example.), but I like technical showmanship in hip-hop more than I do in rock I suppose.
    Ah. Gotcha.

I can definitely understand why some songs like that can be annoying, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very fond of a few of those kinds of songs (e.g. Van Halen's "Eruption"). Never really thought of The White Stripes music as "rocking for rocking's sake", but I admittedly haven't listened to much of their music.
    Margaritaville is a good song.
    I also like Tech N9ne.