A Music Discussion Heap of The Heapers' Hangout Forum [NO EMBEDS]

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Well, they were already clearly moving in that direction with or without Hannett. They had actually recorded early versions of about half of Unknown Pleasures during the same sessions as An Ideal for a Living, along with an early version of "Transmission" and a number of tracks that ended up on Still, but they ended up canning the album because they were dissatisfied with the production.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I admit that I haven't heard those early demos. It is interesting to know about them.

At any rate, I didn't mean to imply that Joy Division had nothing to do with their transformation. The comparison to The Beatles should've made that obvious.

It does seem to me that Hannett helped speed up the transformation by being such a taskmaster, though.
    He definitely brought out aspects of their sound in the studio that were not immediately apparent in their early work, much like how Mike Thorne brought Wire into more experimental territory sonically when they were already testing themselves in their writing.

One advantage that the early recordings do have is that it captures how raw and intense Joy Division could be live, something that is mostly lost in favour of something more alien and atmospheric in their later studio work.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    To me, the main drawback to their early singles is Curtis's punkish sneer. It's amelodic, and at least on "No Love Lost", somewhat at odds with the music.

His decision to switch to a baritone voice was one of the most important factors in Joy Division's transformation.
    It's more that he was refining his vocal style overall. He outright howls on some of their later material, but he shows a very broad range of expression. That EP in particular is relatively limited, but that may be a conscious choice as much as an issue of development: They already had "Ice Age", "Shadowplay", "Interzone", "Transmission" and "Novelty" in their set, after all.
  • edited 2014-07-16 02:03:46
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Actually, correction: An Ideal for a Living was recorded at an earlier session (December '77) than the abortive début session (May '78), although the latter did include re-recordings of the EP tracks along with early versions of a number of embryonic Unknown Pleasures numbers and rarities.

Also, "No Love Lost" is a strange, strange song. I rather like it.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    It feels like song lose something when I can replay it whole in my head. And that unfortunately doesn't take too long either.

So there's a live performance by a guy who I may or may not have heard of going down on the Boiler Room's YouTube channel involving live loop manipulation and a prepared piano.

Pretty freaking cool.
    Cross-posting for great justice.
  • So there's a live performance by a guy who I may or may not have heard of going down on the Boiler Room's YouTube channel involving live loop manipulation and a prepared piano.

Pretty freaking cool.
    Cross-posting for great justice.
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing this.
    The dude in question goes by the pseudonym Hauschka, for future reference.
  • edited 2014-07-16 03:27:47
    We can do anything if we do it together.

"Weird Al" put a Pixies style parody on his latest album, and it may actually be a better Pixies song than anything on their recent EPs. Listen for yourself.

I feel this is worthy of a cross-post.
  • Do you know if this will be uploaded in full later? I missed part of it and I would love to watch the whole thing from the beginning.
    They always upload these things, as far as I know.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And now I'm trying to overthink "Love Me" by Lil' Wayne, in a "you sound incredibly bored for someone who essentially has a harem, dude. Do you do anything but stay in the house and bone?" kind of way.
  • edited 2014-07-17 04:05:54
    I've just listened to Scatology and Horse Rotorvator in full for the first time.

They're quite intense without being on Mach 5 all the time. I respect people who can manage to pull that trick off.
  • Just heard about and subsequently heard Zappa's "Magdalena" today.

I don't think I've ever been so disgusted by a song. And yet I can't quite look away. Or...hear away.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    I think modern hip-hop and modern pop are heading in directioms that areally increasingly incompatible with each other

although that doesn't explain why "Dark Horse" was a hit
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I think modern hip-hop and modern pop are heading in directioms that areally increasingly incompatible with each other

although that doesn't explain why "Dark Horse" was a hit

Are you saying it was a...

dark horse?
  • "Dark Horse" is basically two songs stapled together.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

"Dark Horse" is basically two songs stapled together.

Katy Perry will eat your HEART OUT

like JEFFEREY DAHMER
  • we need more pop songs that mention jeffrey dahmer

In a risible manner, to whit. It's just a very oddly and poorly constructed song. I mean, the parts aren't even that bad in principle, but the way that they are thrown together is artless and a little gross.
  • I actually don't dislike "Dark Horse" I just think it's dumb how clumsy the beat switch from the verses to the chorus is.
  • Odradek said:

Katy Perry will eat your HEART OUT

like JEFFEREY DAHMER
    this is very far from the weirdest thing Juicy J has ever said in a song.
  • edited 2014-07-17 21:53:58
    fight. dream. horse. love.
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q2poC56ycWA the video that everyone in Brooklyn is pretending is an inaccurate potrayal of life in Brooklyn (this is a terrible sentence)
  • edited 2014-07-17 21:53:03
    *points to the [NO EMBEDS] in the thread title*

Please change that into a link. Thanks.

ETA: I approve of this mindmeld.
  • Blake Judd might be the scummiest musician ever.

like there are musicians who have said more hateful things, and ones who have committed more serious crimes

but still
  • naney said:

Blake Judd might be the scummiest musician ever.

like there are musicians who have said more hateful things, and ones who have committed more serious crimes

but still

I haven't heard of this person. What makes them so scummy?
  • the dude behind nachtmystium, made a habit out of selling things (merch, test pressings, what-have-you) to friends and fans and not shipping them.
  • naney said:

the dude behind nachtmystium, made a habit out of selling things (merch, test pressings, what-have-you) to friends and fans and not shipping them.

Ah. Yeah, that is pretty scummy.
  • edited 2014-07-18 02:33:23
    He also seems to be one of those trve kvlt types insofar as his statements about other bands go.

Given what I have read about Nachtmystium, that's more than a little ironic.
  • He also seems to be one of those trve kvlt types insofar as his statements about other bands go. 

Yeah, I looked him up after naney told me why he's a shithead and I noticed that, which I found kind of funny considering that Nachtmystium is listed as Psychedelic Black Metal on Wikipedia after him saying "as a fan of black metal, I'm offended by someone who calls their music black metal and incorporates outside elements".
    Yup.

Granted, I'm not sure if that's cognitive dissonance, out of context or a tacit admission that what his band does is not longer exactly black metal? Who the heck even knows.
  • Yup.

Granted, I'm not sure if that's cognitive dissonance, out of context or a tacit admission that what his band does is not longer exactly black metal? Who the heck even knows.
    Admittedly, he later said that his band left the black metal scene, but I still found it hypocritical regardless.
  • could have been from earlier in his career when Nachtmystium was one of those boring burzum/darkthrone amalgam bands, those sorts of bands are always very eager to make up for mediocrity/lack of funds to buy proper recording equipment with grand declarations of just how black metal they are.

meanwhile, Fenriz and Nocturno are making throwback punky speed metal and just having a ball
  • Fun Musical Fact: Ghost got signed to Rise Above due to Fenriz featuring them on his Band Of The Week blog
    ^^ This was in 2008, though, or so says Wikipedia.

But there is leavening some context to it: Judd has also stated that despite starting out as a black metal band, "What separates us from your average black metal band is that we're NOT a black metal band, we're a 'do-whatever-the-fuck-we-want' metal band and black metal happens to be what we build our foundation off of," going on to state that they'd sort of left the scene as a whole around 2004.

Still a silly attitude, but whatevs.
    naney said:

Fun Musical Fact: Ghost got signed to Rise Above due to Fenriz featuring them on his Band Of The Week blog

That's actually very cool.

I never really got into Ghost - the metal band, not the Japanese psych collective who I do enjoy quite a bit - but I respect them and I think that's pretty great.
  • oh sweet there might be a new Leviathan album this year
    I need to look into Leviathan. Never really have...
  • good music
    Just heard an impressive band from my neck of the woods, Deafheaven... but they among most nowadays USBM owe John Gossard $$$$$... your plagiarism is... cute... but you're outed... and need soap, son.
    not the best at typing
  • edited 2014-07-18 03:19:59
    Funny, the interview that's from cites another interview from No Clean Singing with, of all people, Nachtmystium, in which Blake Judd offers what might be the best (or just funniest?) double-edged one-line defence of another person that I have ever heard.
  • BW- So we have something in common, Blake.

BJ- Oh yeah?

BW- Word has it you love Ministry’s Filth Pig as well.

BJ- That is my favorite record ever recorded. That and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Tied.

BW- …That is Nachtmystium right there, you can hear it.

BJ- That’s why Charlie, our drummer, and I connected immediately. He
    hasn’t been on a record yet because he’s been on tour. We connected at
    my house doing drugs and I put Filth Pig on and he was all ‘oh! I love this one!’ There’s three of the ten people who’ve ever lived that like Filth Pig right here right now.  ”Brick Windows” is the jam.

\m/

The guy might be a scumbag, but I found that interview extremely amusing overall.
    Important fact that makes for a weird sentence: The vocalist of Envy wrote lyrics for a Mogwai song. Specifically, "I Chose Horses" from Mr. Beast.

I need to revisit Mogwai's discography. They are a very enjoyable outfit.
    Björk's website is just beautiful to look at.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Big Star's #1 Record took a few listens to grow on me, but it's really solid.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

Just heard about and subsequently heard Zappa's "Magdalena" today.

I don't think I've ever been so disgusted by a song. And yet I can't quite look away. Or...hear away.
    I'm way late with this, but almost everything from the Flo & Eddie phase of Zappa is like that.

I have mixed feelings, myself.