My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Image-Heavy)

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    There was something in the season premiere that I appreciated.

They're finally changing the credits for each episode!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know, if I didn't know any better I would say "The Crystal Empire" was an obvious excuse to introduce crystal pony toys much in the way My Little Pony: The Movie was G1's obvious excuse to introduce Flutter Pony toys.

The thing is, though, they've already been selling crystal pony toys for like a year now.

...so it's more like they just finally got around to justifying their existence.
  • That's more jelly that crystal, I'd say
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    ...who are those two other than Discord?
    Grogar and Tirek, G1 villains.
  • edited 2012-11-15 19:59:13

Grogar and Tierek.

bunnyninja'd.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.

My favorite episode yet.
  • So I guess I'm the only one who loathed it?
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    No, I tried watching that episode a few minutes ago

I couldn't make it 3 minutes in

Then again I couldn't make it 3 minutes in to any episode
    ^^What didn't you like about it?

I thought it was alright, but a someone who has long wanted a multiple Pinkie episode I feel disappointed in the lack of havoc.

Also, what was Fancy Pants doing in Ponyville?
  • Poor pacing, just felt shoddy.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I didn't think it was a bad episode, per se, but it didn't really live up to my hopes for a multiple Pinkie episode.
  • edited 2012-11-17 21:17:23
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I guess I don't get you guys.

Sometimes I think half of the fans don't even enjoy the show.
    Why is that?

I do feel less stressed lately, maybe that helps me take the show less seriously...
  • I do generally enjoy the show.

But season 3 has left me flat so far.
    I had a feeling this episode wasn't gonna live up to "Lesson Zero" (best "episode three" by far) but I thought it was decent anyway...and the season, despite being half as long as the first two, has just started.

I do worry that Twilight is going to stay glued to the backseat that LZ put her in (also this is the first "episode three" not to center on her)...this combines with my lingering fear that this season is the last (52 + 13 = 65, an episode count at which many kids shows have met their ends; if this is truly the last season then I don't blame Hasbro for holding off with the news)...
  • Enjoyed the episode. Excellent animation, Dash reading, Applejack herding Pinkies, and everyone not behaving as a flat character
    I thought them *ahem* Flanderized Pinkie clones were a nice touch, myself, though I'm not sure why.
    I don't get why Lesson Zero is loved so much.

To me, Twilight's brand of crazy felt really forced in that episode. Like they wanted to recreate Party of One and overshot it.
  • Anonus said:

I thought them *ahem* Flanderized Pinkie clones were a nice touch, myself, though I'm not sure why.

I liked them because they made Pinkie Pie look like a more realistic character in contrast.

The problem with Pinkie Pie is that she tends to be used as a humor device rather than a character. I feel like this is a nod to how this occasionally happened in the earlier series.
  • edited 2012-11-18 15:29:46
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...Perhaps I should give this episode a second watch.

I initially disliked the "Flanderized" Pinkies because I thought it would be funnier if they all actually had Pinkie's personality, but now I'm thinking I missed the point.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I thought the whole point was that they did have Pinkie's personality with the difference being that they were ignorant of social rules and why they were important. They didn't know anything about her friends, so they didn't value staying as much as the original.
    Gelzo said:

I thought the whole point was that they did have Pinkie's personality with the difference being that they were ignorant of social rules and why they were important. They didn't know anything about her friends, so they didn't value staying as much as the original.

I arrived at the same conclusion, thinking back on it after the fact.

That's part of why I think I need to re-watch it...
    Also

Have a sad

• "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    They seemed to come into being with no memories, like babies. Uh, except for knowing Ponyese.

I don't get why Lesson Zero is loved so much.

To me, Twilight's brand of crazy felt really forced in that episode. Like they wanted to recreate Party of One and overshot it.
    It had the same writer, Meghan McCarthy...

I liked the episode but disliked that it led to a de-emphasis on Twilight (when it comes to Crazy Twilight I didn't care for "It's About Time", which felt somewhat rehash-y not to mention it may have wasted the time travel gimmick even though it was designed to disappear after one episode anyway).
  • But the real question is can i watch gravity falls in hell

But the real question is can i watch gravity falls in hell

sure, that's animated clutch cargo style
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    MLP:FIM, Filmation Style. FUND IT.
    lee4hmz said:

MLP:FIM, Filmation Style. FUND IT.

the good news is it won't cost much
    no, not filmation

what about early H-B instead, or Little Golden Books

OH GOD WHYYYY
    [It did not.]
  • [I know it didn't]. But it's something that I wouldn't have been surprised by if I saw it in his special, knowing who Discord is.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    What if the real pinkie was one of the ones that was momentarily distracted by another Pinkie yelling at her?

It's going to take a few episodes before the total hinkiness of this episode leaves and I can truly accept that the current Pinkie is the real one.
  • the newest episode

Random thought:

I hate it when fan works depict Trixie as equaling Twilight in magic power, she was just some stage magician. Though it's alright if they say she's good at illusion magic or something, that actually makes sense.

And the fics where she's comically inept work too.

Pic related.

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Um, I always imagined Twilight to be an average Unicorn as far as power goes.  Nothing unusual.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I got the impression that she was pretty much a walking nexus of magic power. 

I mean, if she was merely average then I think a lot of the problems that befall Ponyville could be taken care of by the general populace. 
    Princess Celestia's dialogue in "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" seemed to imply that Twilight Sparkle is exceptionally powerful.

“You have a very special gift. I don't think I've ever come across a unicorn with your raw abilities. But you need to learn to tame these abilities through focused study.”
  • edited 2012-11-24 21:34:34
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    My headcannon is that all the above-average unicorns get sent to Canterlot or wherever the place is where Unicorns are trained to harness and constructively apply their power, and are thus much more stable with their magic (no random uncontrollable outbursts of magic), but much more rigid in their abilities (no random bursts of great magic, or random bursts of magic outside their usual sphere of use).

Sort of like languages, once you get older, you cannot learn languages as quickly or as well, and you are more rigidly stuck in whatever language you do know; but within your vocabulary and sphere, you're rather skilled.  Except if small children had random bursts of speaking swahili that could destroy a house.

So, most of them are taught how to avoid using their magic and prevent surges of magical power.  Sort of like an internal power inhibitor for safety.  Also, most of them become specialized and, with that specialization and training channeling all their energy into their chosen sphere, they cannot do things outside their normal sphere.

Very few unicorns, in my Headcannon, are trained to combat large disasters, like the Ursa Minor and Major; the risk of those unicorns becoming a terrible threat themselves is too great for all but the least ambitious and most stable/trustworthy unicorns.

Other unicorns are like giant power stations that are safely harnessed to do mundane things like powering everybody's houses and lightbulbs; harnessed/restrained for mundane utility. Twilight is like a bolt of lightning: sheer unharnessed power seeking a conduit.
  • New Episode Is AMAZIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!! :D
  • By which I mean: It is the best episode

PERIOD

ASDJGHFGDSGDGGDGDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  • WATCH IT NOW

NOW

NOW

NOW
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

"Delegates from Saddle Arabia"

This raises so many questions.

So yeah, that was a good episode