General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Yeah, the iceberg is his Burst.  Its geometry is a cone designed to stretch all the way when centered, but if you kink it sideways even a bit, the edge closest to the center doesn't reach all the way across.
  • https://www.indiegala.com/monday

The current Indie Gala Every Monday Bundle.  It contains eight games, one of which is a shmup, Redux, that's a remake of a game the devs made for Dreamcast, called Dux.  Redux also got a limited print run for Dreamcast too.  And several other games that I'm not sure what's notable about them, but whatever.

Anyway, I decided to run some numbers on this bundle.

Currently, it's within its first 24-hour period, during which the minimum price is $2.49.  So far it has sold 4230 copies and garnered $10801.72, for an average purchase price of $2.55... .  Let's say this is $2.50, for simplicity.

A little note at the bottom of the site says that payment processors charge fees, typically 1.9% to 5%, plus a flat rate of $0.05 to $0.30, with Paypal being the cheapest or something.  Let's max it out though: 5% + $0.30.

Every $2.50 purchase becomes $2.20 after the flat rate fee, and then $2.09 after the variable fee.  Since Indie Gala incurs operating costs, let's split this nine ways -- eight games' devs and Gala.  That means every purchase nets each of the nine entities about $0.23.  Multiply that by 4230, that means that in this day, each of these entities has garnered $982.3.  So, about a thousand dollars, give or take some.
  • Concerning the second one, Syberia has the second worst voice-acting that I've ever seen in a videogame, and the GUI's wonky as hell.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-03-14 03:18:44
    Yunica EX Nightmare Boss Rush down.  EX Bolt Crash kills Pictimos hilariously quickly -- I think my final time was just over three minutes, and most of that was repeatedly burning him down before he could attack.

Also Kishgal down on second try, with almost half my health left.  I think I've finally got the fight figured out -- move as little as possible and wait for him to come to you before blasting him across the arena.  If he boxes you in with ice, don't try to jump out, just wait for him to walk up, then clear an escape and push him back in the same shot.  He seems to use less falling icicles this way too.  Between that and the iceberg tactic I picked up last time, he's surprisingly reasonable.  Usually.  Still like 1/3 luck.

Dalles is still an arsewipe, but I did way better when I started using Bolt Crash + axe on the minions at the very end instead of phoenixes unless you're dodging a laser behind him.  It gives you slightly more killing power, the axe swings resist vortices a bit, and it's a lot easier to focus on one minion at a time.  Phoenix has more upper-end damage, but you have to get a really lucky shot.  Other than that, the last phase is just boost spam (NOT Burst spam!) and luck.

I am never playing Yunica and her shitty-ass Burst again.  At least not till Toddy updates his LP, and I reserve the right to overlevel for that.  So obnoxious.
  • I'll have to try being more patient with observing Kishgal's motions rather than reacting to them simply by running around.
  • also
    Bee said:

I am never playing Yunica and her shitty-ass Burst again.  At least not till Toddy updates his LP, and I reserve the right to overlevel for that.  So obnoxious.

sad_yunica.png
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Super Contra (arcade version) is all right but shoulda been longer
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-03-14 22:53:26
    ^^ Get a Burst that does at least one of the following, and we'll talk:

- lets you move and/or is aimable (Epona, Kishgal, Dalles)
    - resists suction (Zava, Dalles)
    - gives an invincibility frame when it finishes to walk out of terrain hazards planted on top of you while you sat there like a fucking idiot with your axe in the ground and will probably hurt worse than if you just ate the original attack (Kishgal, Dalles)
    - doesn't completely fail to stop half the super-attacks you want to use it on in the first place (Zava, motherfucking Dalles)
    - maybe even just hits a slightly bigger area or hits the air better (Zava, fucking hell Dalles)

Hell, forget Burst.  I'd be satisfied if her Boost did anything useful.  Hugo gets extra Eyes, Hugo and Toal's specials all get supercharged, and Toal and Adol both get huge combo buffs.  Yunica gets nothing.  They fucking forgot to code in the damage or attack speed buff the tutorial says it gives her.  So all it does is halve damage for a few seconds (her boss fights are all too homogeneously erratic to react to anything in particular with it) and let you spam another couple uncharged spells (good against Dalles's red shield and precisely nothing else in the entire game because phoenix is her only attack that doesn't negate overlapping hits).
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-03-15 02:28:33

Watching Tietuesday's stream of Super Mario 3D World today reminded me how fun that game is. It is probably one of my top two or three favorite Mario platformers, mostly because it brought back the multiple different playable characters with different traits thing from Mario 2 USA and implemented it in a well-made 3D Mario. I think the multiplayer is a bunch of fun too, even if some stages can be a bit tricky with more than one player (see any stage with those arrow moving platform things).
  • edited 2015-03-15 06:28:14
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I need to play that again. The thing that jumped out to me when I played it is how good the music is...
  • My dreams exceed my real life

HotlineMiami2.avi
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-03-19 22:56:00
    They say that Kojima is leaving Konami after Metal Gear Solid 5, though it has neither been confirmed nor denied by either party. Considering that Konami's had him working on the same series for all this time, it isn't really that much of a shock.

The news doesn't bode well for that Silent Hills game they had in the pipe but seeing what he'll be able to do independently may be interesting.
  • edited 2015-03-20 10:07:07
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Tre said:

They say that Kojima is leaving Konami after Metal Gear Solid 5, though it has neither been confirmed nor denied by either party. Considering that Konami's had him working on the same series for all this time, it isn't really that much of a shock.

The news doesn't bode well for that Silent Hills game they had in the pipe but seeing what he'll be able to do independently may be interesting.

Well, Konami's denied it.

“As we have already announced, we are shifting our production structure
    to a headquarters-controlled system, in order to establish a steadfast
    operating base capable of responding to the rapid market changes that
    surround our digital entertainment business. Konami Digital
    Entertainment (including Mr. Kojima), will continue to develop and
    support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future
    announcements.”
  • Hm. Wonder what the whole removing the "A Hideo Kojima Game" bylines thing was all about, then.

Weird.
  • Maybe he no longer has control over the project, legally speaking.

I don't know how copyright works in Japan.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Haven't they been saying that Kojima is going to leave Konami after like each of the last five or six MGS games?

At this point, I'd like to see him actually leave before I believe it.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tre said:

Hm. Wonder what the whole removing the "A Hideo Kojima Game" bylines thing was all about, then.

Weird.

the Kojima studios are being folded back into Konami proper it seems?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-03-21 22:17:23
    Ys Origin, 6/8 Nightmare boss rushes down.  Just Toal's left.

Adol is so, so good compared to the story characters.  His Felghana version is a melee chainsaw with the best defensive move in the game, and his Napishtim version's spells are fucking ridiculous and give you tons of invincibility time (dat whirlwind OMG).  I took down Pictimos in less than a minute and a half because the Felghana fire attack reaches across the whole arena and hits both his damage points several times, and I skipped Zava's desperation attack entirely.

I think the only boss Napishtim Adol isn't good against is Gelaldy, mainly because he has no slowfall and gets clipped by lava a lot.

Interestingly, Darm's suction attacks get toned down because he doesn't have Godspeed.  To make up for it, he seems to spawn waaaay more minions than usual.  I'd literally go a good minute at a time just cleaning up his minions or hiding in the tentacle pit because he kept spamming the red/yellow phase lance sweep and blue phase laser spray and I never got a chance to actually attack him at all because he was spawning that shit faster than I could kill it.  The Napishtim Fire pretty much ensures that you only have to put up with four phases before the finale though, so hey.  I also killed the last yellow phase before it could attack more than once, so yeah.  OP.
  • Hey.  Hey Glenn.  Glenn.  Hey.

• That's not Yunica melee only on Nightmare.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-03-25 18:24:22
    I guess if you could somehow push him to 50%, you could pull it off from there by abusing his iceberg like in the video.  It's half damage because he's boosting, but also free and completely safe.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

I am playing through Etrian Odyssey Untold with a party of a Ronin and a Hexer because I hate being able to take hits and live. Only 20 more floors to go!
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Malice is the best pair, and the best ship. I fully approve.
    Bloodborne is super-fun.

Finally a From game for casual babies, like me, who love cover shooters and angry birds.

LeTrollFace.jpg
    The first sentence of that last post was not sarcastic. The other two were.
  • > not having a protector

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    glenn did you not just see that she hates being able to take hits and live?  jeez
    Question for the generally video game inclined:

If you're playing a game, say, a platformer sort of game, and your character's got hit points, do you prefer seeing it as a sort of bar or icon (e.g. Mega Man) or as numbers (e.g. Gunstar Heroes or Symphony of the Night)? Or does it depend? Or do you care?

If you're playing a game, say, a platformer sort of game, and your character's got hit points, do you prefer seeing it as a sort of bar or icon (e.g. Mega Man) or as numbers (e.g. Gunstar Heroes or Symphony of the Night)? Or does it depend? Or do you care?

Generally a bar or icon, but either one works fine.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I prefer a bar or icon, since it's easier to parse when you're just glancing at it. I do often like having small numbers next to it, however. 
    So maybe both.
    I see.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-03-29 05:30:58
    For what it's worth, among developers it's generally agreed that 2-4 digits is comfortable to show as a number, and 5-6 is okay if it's uncommon (bonus scores, etc) but you should really be showing a bar too.  Most JRPGs since the PS1 era will overlay the text on top of a bar.

World of Warcraft ran into problems with this.  The numeric readout on the bars is entirely optional, but something you generally want on if you do any sort of serious dungeoning because you think in terms of numeric DPS.  By Cataclysm people were hitting 100k+ HP and bosses were well into the millions, and these days players are bordering on 1M.  Even that works as an abbreviated numeric display.

Once the floating damage numbers get into the millions like they do in Diablo 3, it becomes difficult to visually parse in any useful sense (especially since they pop up so often as to overlap constantly), but abbreviating it much can actually obscure significant differences in your DPS too.  You kind of need at least 3 sig figs at all times, but since we can only abbreviate numbers every third digit, that means you're still going to see up to 5-6 digits no matter what.  And it's ugly as hell.
    Wow.

Well, I'm thinking in terms of relatively low numbers (below 1,000). I can see how having a bar + numbers could be ideal.
  • what kind of game are we talking about here

If you're playing a game, say, a platformer sort of game,

or a Metroidvania thing or run-and-gun or some combination of the above
  • in that case you probably don't need the numbers at all.

They're really only useful in RPGs.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-03-29 05:36:59
    For a platformer, you shouldn't have HP higher than 3 digits, and enemies shouldn't have HP higher than 4 for the majority of the game (5 for endgame/bonus bosses).  If you're even using numbers bigger than that, something worse has probably gone wrong in construction and you need to simplify things.

Hell, even having more than 2 digits is pretty meaningless for anything that doesn't have significant RPG elements and an explicit leveling system like Ys or something.  In most platformers, damage doesn't scale much as you progress.
    That's kinda what I figured.
    Probably shouldn't have said platformer, I was thinking more of (as I said above) a Metroidvania sort of thing where you could get life expansions, level-ups, whatever.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

No one needs hit points, except bosses. (semi-not-serious answer)
    One-hit wonder shmups do not count for this.
    There are plenty of platformers without a health display! Like... Mario! Not that I'm against player hit points or whatever.
    I should never have said platformer
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Life is pain.
  • edited 2015-03-30 18:02:03
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    See, that game has numbers and a bar.