General Video Game Thread

Comments

• And now I'm looking for videos of that Marvel game. Here's the Wakandan protohuman, and the demon enemy from the first game for comparison

Man, did they really give Black Panther a Jamaican accent? And the graphics were that bad?
  • ^^ Are you talking about the regular version or the shoddy knockoff that the PS2 and Wii owners got?

Because I tried the former once and it was much, much better than the latter. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I played the Xbox version.

Really, it was about the Civil War. Nothing about the Civil War could be good.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-31 07:43:14
    LEGO Avengers was already doing Galactus.

And on a possibly related note, was a much better game.
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Here's a mech game where you control your mech by typing in a command line.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/27/mecha-trigger-free-game/

It has multiplayer functionality too. Wanna play sometime?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Crystal said:

Touhou x Touhou
    <3

So, I'm really bad at it, but Nuclear Throne is ridiculously fun. Rebel especially. At the moment I'd say my preferential lineup is: Rebel, Melting, Eyes, Plant, Robot, Y.V., Chicken, Steroids, Rogue, Fish, and Crystal is last, amusingly. Horror I haven't unlocked yet, but would be tied with or above Chicken, I think. I'm best with Eyes and Plant and Rebel, in that order, not that that says much.
    Steadily improving. Lineup is now: Rebel, Eyes/Melting, Y.V., Robot, Fish, Plant, Rogue, Steroids, Chicken, Crystal. Best is 5-3 with Eyes, 4-3 with most others.
  • edited 2015-02-01 22:49:47
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imagosfilms/starr-mazer

this looks pretty nifty.

won't be backing it myself, though, since it's not exactly my sort of game.  also, $40 for the bundle with the soundtrack, so ehh.

still, though, it does look (and sound) nifty.  and the image at the end of the trailer vid is awesome.

(h/t to partial at the CF forums for telling me about this)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    so now I'm completing the GBA Castlevania trilogy, with Aria of Sorrow.

seems better made than Harmony of Dissonance, both in terms of gameplay and also graphics and music. this "souls" business is intimidating, though
  • edited 2015-02-02 02:21:44
    It's a collection fest.

You don't need them all to get the best ending.

You do need them all to get an item that allows you to use their abilities with no MP cost, though.
    yeah

I'm always kinda thinking though, "is there one of them I should be using right now and if so how do I know which one" with the result that I never even try most of them, I just stab everybody
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Look up the requirements for the best ending, because it's ridiculously obtuse.
    So I have heard.
  • It's hinted at by some items you can find.

Kinda like how Symphony did it.
  • edited 2015-02-02 03:30:25
    The more I think of it, La-Mulana really seems like Mystery Hunt but in videogame form.

La-Mulana has a number of areas, called "fields".  Each field has a number of puzzles, which, when solved, open up passages, give access to items, allow access to special NPCs, uncover the boss to be challenged, etc..  Solving puzzles thus essentially gives access to more content, by which we of course also mean more puzzles.  Puzzles generally get harder (usually in the form of clues being more sparse and/or sparsely distributed, or the puzzles being more complex) as the game progresses.

Mystery Hunt has a number of sets of puzzles, called "rounds".  Each round contains a number of puzzles.  Solving these puzzles unlocks other puzzles, including puzzles in other rounds.  And while it's not been a major tradition quite yet, there's definitely a growing trend toward having relatively easier puzzles early in the hunt, giving smaller teams a better chance chance to experience the magic of watching the hunt's alternate-reality-game-esque theming unfold.

Each field has a boss; to fight the boss, one must solve puzzles that uncover the ankh and also solve another puzzle that allows one to gain an ankh jewel, which breaks the ankh and activates the boss.  (Of course, this means solving those puzzles that allow access to the ankh and ankh jewel puzzles.)  Then one must defeat the boss.  (One need not use an ankh immediately -- one can save it for a later boss, and store multiple ankhs.)

Each round has a metapuzzle.  The metapuzzle is built using the solutions (and other related materials, often flavortext and other clues) of the puzzles in that round, and thus cannot be solved before at least some puzzles in that round are solved.

The entire game also has a some puzzles that span the entire game.  Well, often times clues to one puzzle might be found totally different places in the game, but there are some puzzles that actually involve pieces that take place in several different areas and thus cannot be fully solved until most of the game is revealed.  In fact, there is at least one puzzle that depends on having defeated all of the bosses.  These puzzles are deeply related to the lore of the game.

There are also some puzzles that cut across the entire hunt, drawing their information from a selection of other puzzles from various rounds.  The most notable of these are the "meta-meta" or "super-meta" puzzles, which, like metapuzzles, make use of the solutions of other puzzles -- often, this means making use of the solutions of metapuzzles themselves, which are arranged in one or a few grand parts of the whole hunt.  These super-metas are typically the puzzles that are most closely related to the theme of the entire hunt.

Differences:
    1. La-Mulana has no pop-culture references.  Except with Elder Xelpud, but that's just flavortext.
    2. La-Mulana has much less flexibility for what puzzles can be skipped.  Some puzzles just have to be solved, while some others might be technically skippable but huge pains if they are skipped.  In contrast, it's typical that a random smattering of Mystery Hunt puzzles can be skipped (and even backsolved) if you've solved enough other puzzles in a round, and it's generally not set in stone which ones are skippable.
    3. Mystery Hunt's puzzles generally involve relating and processing information in unusual ways in order to come up with answers, which come in the form of strings of letters, while La-Mulana's puzzles generally involve reading obtuse clues and figuring out the in-game actions (e.g. weights to place on pedestal switches or items to use in certain locations) needed to solve them, which produces access paths or items.  Though this difference is mostly just an artifact of the format that each work is in.
    4. Mystery Hunt has had no Hell Temple.  Yet.  (One could argue the 73+ hour 2013 hunt was the actual Hell Temple, especially since there was one metapuzzle that no team could solve, but...)
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    is la-mulana supposed to bring up a a blue screen with "MSX" on it and then become completely unresponsive
  • the latter part is not supposed to happen
  • edited 2015-02-02 21:55:47
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ok, I finished the game, best ending and all.

That was certainly a...different take on the Dracula thing.

Also I'm glad I died once on the final final boss just to see the "bad" ending. lolz
    how do i make it not happen
  • What computer setup are you using? like, os and graphics card
  • edited 2015-02-02 23:22:51
    alternatively, i have an extra copy of the remake on steam, which i can give you

the two games aren't identical in content but are pretty similar
    alternatively, i have an extra copy of the remake on steam, which i can give you
    would you? that'd be great
  • I'm probably about 2/3 of the way through Avernum 6.

When the fuck did Hirickis become a badass bonus boss?
  • alternatively, i have an extra copy of the remake on steam, which i can give you
    would you? that'd be great
    you're just mandelbrot on steam right?  done.
    now I guess I should complete AoS on hard mode.
    thanks!
    ...aaaaaaaaaand I beat it.

nothing is hard anymore. not that I want it to be.
  • Imipolex G said:...aaaaaaaaaand I beat it.

nothing is hard anymore. not that I want it to be.

now beat
    Rogue
    no
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    *yawn at dedthread* I finished Golden Sun: The Lost Age, which was a bit of a time investment. Maybe I was about 10 years too late to the GS party but whatever.
    set myself a random goal of finishing Aria in under 2 hours

did it

nothing is an achievement anymore
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Cream said:

*yawn at dedthread* I finished Golden Sun: The Lost Age, which was a bit of a time investment. Maybe I was about 10 years too late to the GS party but whatever.

Golden Sun games are nice games.

SA hates them for some reason.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Shameless bad Aria playing.
    I tried Julius mode but it has the same problem as Richter in SotN: feels completely unbalanced.
    You uploaded the Eden's Aegis soundtrack and also you thought Flandre's Maze of Love was especially hard.
  • Panurge said:

Cream said:

Golden Sun games are nice games.

SA hates them for some reason.
    SA hates stuff without reason all the time.

The only problem is the fact that they have more influence than some random shit blog, despite basically being a co-op shit blog.
  • Cream said:

You uploaded the Eden's Aegis soundtrack and also you thought Flandre's Maze of Love was especially hard.

I got around to downloading said soundtrack and I am quite enjoying it.
    Eden's Aegis has a nice soundtrack. The game itself is basically "Cave for beginners" but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
  • edited 2015-02-07 05:08:39
    Okay, so the possibility of it being vaporware seems relatively high. Hrm. Still.
  • Game of Thrones with a PG rating is one of the worst possible taglines you can attach to the thing?

Like, half of the appeal of GoT is sex, violence, and probably sex-violence (does the bit with Jaime and Ceresi count? It probably counts)
  • Bit of a subjective question but what's a good time of day if you want to get summoned in Dark Souls 2? I'm trying to get Sunlight Medals but I haven't gotten a single summon despite trying on and off for 2 days now.
  • having watched a few people on youtube play darkest dungeons im strongly considering buying it

it's cute and the gameplay looks to be exactly up my alley

i need more turn-based stuff in my life, as much as it pains me to admit i just cant do stuff that requires any sort of reflexiveness with any sort of proficiency
  • what is darkest dungeons anyway?
  • a turn-based RPG with randomly generated characters and roguelikeish stuff (*you recruit a large roster of characters, you send 4 into a dungeon at a time, and when they die they're permanently gone*)

the combat seems pleasingly strategic in nature, with a lot of emphasis on party order and a stress meter that goes up when a character is attacked or light is running low and stuff. characters can also develop quirks and phobias and things, and you have to manage their stress levels so they don't snap. There's a lot of other stuff going on in there too, but i don't wanna get super long-winded.

it's currently in early-access, and the general consensus is that it is very good and playable in it's current state.
  • I want to get DD at some point but I just dropped $60 on Diablo 3 today so I'm in no position to do so.

Still, maybe for my birthday or s/t
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I've played some Darkest Dungeon. Only like an hour or so.

Not sure how I feel yet. Love the art style and idea, but I wonder how well balanced it is. Early game seems to be mostly based around praying you don't get screwed over by rng.

I'll need to play more before I can fully formulate my thoughts.
  • right now i feel like playing a game where i can play as a scientist or engineer named sara