General Video Game Thread

Comments

• or the fantasy equivalent of a scientist/engineer
  • edited 2015-02-09 17:52:09
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    tough competition for Volume there
  • The sheer scale of the conspiracy in Avernum 6 is getting slightly ridiculous.  We get it.  Melanchion controls absogoddamnlutely everything.

• Not going to buy the game, probably, but this trailer though. look at it.

look at that shopkeeper at :30. See how operatic he is.
  • edited 2015-02-11 01:01:01
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The cadence of the first thirty seconds is amazing.
  • A heads-up to anyone interested in things by Black Pants: From now until the 15th, everything they've made thus far is $1 each on Steam and the App Store.

Y'all totes ought to get something-- the sale's intended to help with development of On Rusty Trails and if you haven't tried it out already Tiny & Big is one of the titles offered, so!
  • Ugh I hate people who compare Dragon's Dogma to Skyrim. 

Dragon's Dogma is supposed to be a combat simulator. That's why it combines elements of Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus and Capcom's Mystara games. It does this very well, but is piss-poor at many other things (travel, immersion, etc.) because it's not focused on those things.

Skyrim is supposed to simulate fantasy life. It doesn't do very many aspects of this well at all, but that's what it's supposed to be doing. 

The two are just so divergent that it's hilarious. You might as well be comparing Sonic CD and Super Street Fighter IV.
  • or the fantasy equivalent of a scientist/engineer

Like an Artificer?
  • Acererak said:

or the fantasy equivalent of a scientist/engineer

Like an Artificer?
    Dunno what that is, but is that a suggestion?
  • Oh, I was actually thinking of a videogame, rather than a tabletop game, but thanks for the suggestion.  Never knew about that class before.
  • it's kinda odd how every time i see one of these charts
    i want to go play with them and the gameplay mechanical elements

but then i somehow get myself into games where i'm expected to role-play as the character and then i'm like
    -_-
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Acererak said:

Ugh I hate people who compare Dragon's Dogma to Skyrim. 

Dragon's Dogma is supposed to be a combat simulator. That's why it combines elements of Monster Hunter, Shadow of the Colossus and Capcom's Mystara games. It does this very well, but is piss-poor at many other things (travel, immersion, etc.) because it's not focused on those things.

Skyrim is supposed to simulate fantasy life. It doesn't do very many aspects of this well at all, but that's what it's supposed to be doing. 

The two are just so divergent that it's hilarious. You might as well be comparing Sonic CD and Super Street Fighter IV.
    source your quotes please
  • The game feel (sic) like it aspires to be Skyrim

It's got just about everything that you'd expect from something like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim,

no

no it does not
  • edited 2015-02-12 07:35:01
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    it's like skyrim if skyrim was fun and also not skyrim
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    goddammit why does theweaver ruin everything I love

that fucking genius
  • Dragon's Dogma is like 50% awesome and 50% shitty gameplay design. It kind of reminds me of Pokemon in that sense.
  • naney said:
    I checked out Darkest Dungeon. It kind of reminds me of Ravenloft and Call of Cthulhu.
  • edited 2015-02-12 12:53:39
    Siegrune and Brynhildr, from eXceed 2nd, reimagined as (S)RPG bosses

Siegrune is an inordinately playful little fella while her partner Brynhildr is a more serious, calculating person. They are low/mid rank warriors of the Deity's Church. As they're guarding their branch church and own little slice of home out in foreign lands, you'd expect them to do so pretty zealously, and they do.

Both start off out of range of your party, excepting long-range attacks. Siegrune being Siegrune, she moves first. Her first move is always Summon: Stone Blocks. Costing a whopping 50 MP (and increasing by 5 per subsequent use), it's pretty expensive even for her, but it drastically changes the battlefield: it produces five stone blocks that become destructible obstacles on the battlefield, in one of several fixed patterns. The first casting displays the animation, which also suggests a key feature of this summon: the stone blocks are dropped onto the field. While she is out of range of hitting you with her first attack, she will aim them at your characters on aubsequent attacks. Each stone normally deals damage slightly above that of an average weapon hit and displaces the target, but has a chance of dealing 90% of target's HP in damagewithout displacing the target, depending on how much of the target's hitbox it covers, the target's evasion, and whether the target has room to maneuver. A unit KO'd by being thus crushed by a stone block will have a destructible stone block obstacle placed on them, and cannot be revived until the block is removed. Of course, Siegrune knows this, and will attempt to use it against you.

Siegrune's other attack spell is Light Splash, which throws several holy-elemental magical projectiles into a cluster formation at close range. She also attacks using a holy rapier, and has a Life Share ability by which she can drain HP from or donate HP to Brynhildr. And she also has MP replenishing items. (The Church hasn't yet caught onto the fact that your team uses natural elemts of magic yet; later enemies and bosses will in fact prep themselves with elemental resistance items.)

Brynhildr meanwhile shares Life Share with Siegrune (meaning both can replenish each other's HP as they need to, and Brynhildr also has a unholy rapier on hand. However, she will spend more of the battle hanging far from the fray and using Shadow Snipe, an unholy-elemental long-range spell that deals pretty decent damage and good accuracy -- certainly better than what you'd have in long-range magic at that point in the game. She also has MP replenishing items, of course, as well as Shadow Burst, which is a short-ranged area-of-effect unholy spell centered on herself, which she'll use if she really needs to, since it causes knockback.

Brynhildr's armor is such that she actually takes more damage from holy attacks and less from unholy attacks, while Siegrune correspondingly takes more damage from unholy attacks and reduced damage from holy ones. It is unlikely that you'll have access to holy or unholy attacks at this point in the game, outside of having bought items that you can use (invoke) for magical reflection. Light Splash is reflectable, but not Shadow Burst nor Shadow Snipe. While Summon: Stone Blocks is powerful, and she can use it more than once in a row (thus generating many obstacles), Siegrune will preferentially use Light Splash as it is cheaper, since she can chain-cast it more than three (or maybe four) times in a row, while moving between the blocks as cover. Stone blocks can be reflected when they are first summoned, which results in the reflected block(s) being displaced away from the reflecter and onto a nearby viable spot, (usually closer to the summoner?), and also possibly onto an ally if you're not careful.

When they lose, they probably curse their not bringing healing items with them.
  • edited 2015-02-12 12:27:35
    and soon someone will mock me about this design since i came up with this solely based on inspiratiom from ex2 and did not do any research regarding the names' norse mythology origins
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    eXceed 2nd: Vampire?
  • edited 2015-02-12 21:21:03
    Yeah.  or, technically, eXceed 2nd: Vampire REX, since that's the only version I've played.

But yeah, I think they're the first level bosses, and they also come back for a second round late-game.

Brynhildr fires the black/red bullets and Siegrune fires the white/blue bullets.  Siegrune is inordinately happy in a nutty way, and Brynhildr is the more serious-looking one.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I never got far with the game probably for the same reason I never got far with Ikaruga: the polarity system. Maybe I'll give it a good try sometime. I played eXceed 3rd plenty, though!
  • I've played eXceed 3rd the most, though I played through 1st first (lol), and got some sort of conclusion on that.  It was a little odd.  Then I played 2nd and never beat it.  It is difficult.

Their soundtracks are nice though.
    I have yet to make the first game run properly on a computer I own, but it's probably nothing super special anyway.
  • edited 2015-02-12 21:44:01
    It runs very strangely -- I can't figure out how to put it into windowed mode, but it forces itself to expand to full screen (thankfully without stretching).

This causes the title screen and other things to look very weirdly pixelated.  Especially the title screen.

Also Steam overlay only partially works on it, but this is a problem common to all three games.  (1) it only screenshots the backgrounds, but no sprites, and (2) any notifications are displayed at the same pixel size -- which means, since the game runs at a low resolution compared to a standard screen nowadays, the notifications popping up take up a substantial amount of screen space.  So to play it I might have to disable notifications.

Also there's no translation built in.  I hear there's a fan-made patch that incorporates the official translation into the game.

But at least it's playable.  I think there might be one boss whose animation goes way too fast, but whatever.  I got past that and got to see the ending.

And at least I got the soundtrack to it while I could.  I like it a lot.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-02-13 18:49:45
    Playing Fire Emblem Awakening.  Chrom's romance supports are hilarious.  The shoujo glasses at S-rank are a bit much though.

whoops haha I accidentally paragon levels in Diablo 3
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I played with a demo of the 2013 SimCity to see if it's any good

I don't think I'd have liked it in its original form, with the always-online forced multiplayer, but with the single-player mode patched it, it seems entertaining enough...I'd probably find myself playing it for a few hours every so often

Still, I don't know Iif it's worth $30 to me...I'll wait for a sale, thanks
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Made it to 7_2 with Eyes, and am getting more consistent with all but a couple characters. God I love Nuclear Throne.
  • edited 2015-02-17 00:56:30
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Strength of the Sword looks amazing.
    Also, they're funny, which is not something you see a lot on Kickstarter.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I wanna play the pixelly-looking one.
  • for some reason i want to play an atelier game
  • Been playing Crusader King II and it's a fun game, but at least for now it's not the kind of game I can play in marathon sessions. Definitely need to take breaks every hour or so.
  • MachSpeed said:

Strength of the Sword looks amazing.

Also, they're funny, which is not something you see a lot on Kickstarter.
    this looks a lot like a more comic booky Dark Souls

which is not a bad thing.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It is very much a more comic-booky, faster Dark Souls in an arena.
  • > PS Vita

gimme

i don't even care that I'd probably be playing on Easy, gimme
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Hell yeah, Bayonetta 2's in stock! WOOOOO
  • For some reason, I feel unmotivated to learn complex new control schemes.
    Your loss.
  • edited 2015-02-25 02:05:10
    Nah, I don't think so.

There's a huuuuge selection of games out there.

There are many whose control schemes and gameplay styles I like that I haven't even played in depth yet.

Sure it's possible that some might not be satisfying.  But they might also be awesome, too.

If I hadn't been picking up random bundle platformers I wouldn't have run across the greatness that is Mutant Mudds Deluxe.
  • edited 2015-02-25 02:20:02
    This was the wrong thread.

Also I own Bayonetta 1 and 2 on Wii U now.
  • edited 2015-02-25 20:43:21
    I find it curious how I can have multiple people telling me about Binding of Isaac (one more just today), yet I just don't really feel that spark of interest.

Yet, just from listening to some of the tracks from the soundtrack of Final Fantasy Tactics A2, and knowing the aesthetic of its predecessor, I feel interested in playing it.
  • i put chrono trigger, radical dreamers, and chrono cross in three different music folders, rather than one overarching series folder

yntkt

in return, chrono cross messes with me by making me go to it first when i type "chro"

yantkt
  • i find it curious that i'm typically not much interested in remixes of videogame music but much more interested in the original tracks themselves

though this does not hold true for all tracks