• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Panurge said:

Atari Jaguar

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    ahahahahah they thought 3DO was going to be a big deal
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    3DO...now that was a curious idea.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The 3DO had some talent behind it, it was just a wrong place at the wrong time situation. Similar to the Dreamcast.

The failure of the CD-I and the Jaguar, however, was the correct and natural thing.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    PC
    Engine
    Yeah, from what I can tell 3DO's main problems were the price and the lack of launch titles. The Jaguar, though...Atari had caught full-fledged Commodore syndrome by then. They not only had a mediocre product (both the 3DO and the PlayStation were easier to work with than either the Jaguar or the goddamn Saturn), but they were certain it was the best on the market despite being about 5 years behind.
    The 3DO seemed to want to answer a question that bugged me as a kid: why are there always several different game consoles, all incompatible with each other, rather than an industry standard like (say) VHS tapes?

All the same I can see why it bombed. I remember playing the launch game (Crash n' Burn) in a store and thinking, well, this is okay, but not worth freaking $700.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Panurge said:

Atari Jaguar

this is probably just me but I find Atari's "Do the Math" advertising shtick for the Jaguar totally hilarious.
    you know what I don't get?  the student who doesn't seem to understand.  what is that "kid"'s purpose in this ad
    Calica said:

Panurge said:

Atari Jaguar

this is probably just me but I find Atari's "Do the Math" advertising shtick for the Jaguar totally hilarious.
    you know what I don't get?  the student who doesn't seem to understand.  what is that "kid"'s purpose in this ad
    He represents the Sega fandom.
    Funny that they don't mention Nintendo.

"Yeah, we can count NIntendo out of this console war. Sega and 3DO are gonna be our main competitors"
    yet another miscalculation
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Panurge said:

"Yeah, we can count NIntendo out of this console war. Sega and 3DO are gonna be our main competitors"
    yeah, well, how many bits does the SNES even have.  we don't know!!!
    37, duh
  • Calica said:

Panurge said:

yeah, well, how many bits does the SNES even have.  we don't know!!!
    What are SNES bits?

We just don't know.
  • Is there anybody here (with a North American 3DS or Wii U) who would like one of the following games? I have a Club Nintendo download code that I would like to give away.
    • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)
    • Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS)
    • Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
    • Mario Party: Island Tour (3DS)
    • New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
    • Yoshi's New Island (3DS)
    • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
    • NES Remix 2 (Wii U)
    • Punch-Out!! (Wii U)
    • Pushmo World (Wii U)
    • Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii U)
    If more than one person is interested, we can do a random drawing for it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I kinda wish there was a physical release of Cities: Skylines in North America, 'cause it's totally the kind of game I'd put on my shelf alongside SimCity 4.

Then again, I don't have a physical copy of SimCity 2000 either, so I guess it evens out.
  • LW said:

Is there anybody here (with a North American 3DS or Wii U) who would like one of the following games? I have a Club Nintendo download code that I would like to give away.

• Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
    • NES Remix 2 (Wii U)
    • Punch-Out!! (Wii U)
    • Pushmo World (Wii U)
    I'll take the New Super Mario game.

What's Pushmo World?
    NES remix 2
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-04-13 02:11:35

LW said:

Is there anybody here (with a North American 3DS or Wii U) who would like one of the following games? I have a Club Nintendo download code that I would like to give away.

• Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
    • NES Remix 2 (Wii U)
    • Punch-Out!! (Wii U)
    • Pushmo World (Wii U)
    I'll take the New Super Mario game.

What's Pushmo World?
    Pushmo World is a puzzle game about pushing and pulling blocks. I have never played it before, but it sounds like it is decently popular.

Also, unfortunately I only have one code to give out to one person, so on Wednesday I plan on doing a random drawing among the people who have expressed interest in one of the games on that list. I apologize if my last post was unclear about that.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-04-15 22:13:50

The random number generator says that Yarrun won the drawing.

I only have one code to give out today, but if I have other stuff to give away in the future, I plan on letting you all know about it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My only real complaint with the traffic modeling in Cities: Skylines is that there doesn't seem to be any sort of priority given to emergency vehicles responding to calls.

They run lights and sirens, sure, but it seems to be just for show, since they'll end up sitting in a crowded, backed-up lane and the other traffic makes no attempt to get out of the way. :\
    Sadly, you're not that far off the mark.

I remember one time I had to run a stale red light to let an ambulance through in downtown Columbus because nobody else was going to let him into the intersection. -_-

As for Skylines: why do so many people seem to have it out for Chirper? The filler tweets are kind of annoying, but it's useful to be notified when you've got a garbage problem, or corpses stacking up, or something. Especially if your city is big enough that you can't focus on every area at once, which happens fairly quickly once you start expanding...
  • Pretty sure if an ambulance is behind you, (1) all the cars are (or should be) stopped anyway, and (2) you'd be justified in running it.

Though you could always move off into the intersecting street temporarily or something, or only run it halfway.
    I wasn't worried about getting a ticket or anything--there wasn't a camera at this intersection, and no decent police officer would write a ticket for letting an ambulance through--but it was frustrating to be put in that situation in the first place, you know?
  • I found compilations of the quotes from the splicers from Bioshock.

My first thoughts after "FEAR" is that I could probably splice a few of them together with some music and get a hundred people listening to it on Tumblr.

• One of the comments say that these are the difference between Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite. Each type of run-of-the-mill enemy has their own reasons and their own motivations, all thrown together in a way that causes them to strike out at everything.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-04-20 06:05:43

All you Vita people pop your pussy like this should go get MonsterBag because it's rad and adorable and wicked hard.

I'm about halfway through and it's been a good time thus far. The amount of violence involved betrays the art and the rating -- think Happy Tree Friends-ish with a LocoRoco aesthetic and you're essentially there -- but even without that aspect it's a clever and gorgeous game that deserves a home in any challenge-loving Vita owner's library.

(also, V, the protagonist, is a beautiful cinnamon roll and too good and pure for this sinful earth)
  • @Tre I think you might enjoy Gurumin.
  • I suddenly want to play Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance again
    I played that one a bunch. Wasn't bad, not as good as Aria of Sorrow though.
  • no it's better because it's got more of a maze of twisty passageways

though Aria is good too
    But Aria lets you do more stuff by collecting SOULS
  • but that's just a grind

harmony is more about exploration and pieceing together the mysteries of the demon castle
    Well, to each their own.

At any rate, I enjoyed both of them more than Circle of the Moon.
  • edited 2015-04-22 01:51:14
    Yeah, Circle's control scheme makes it hard to enjoy.

Though it has an excellent soundtrack -- the grandest of the three GBA castletroids.
  • also the term "castletroid" is better than the term "metroidvania"
    I disagree since Metroid was the one that popularized that game style in the first place.

And yeah, CotM does at least have a really good soundtrack. HoD's music got ruined by poor sound quality.
  • imagine if, late in a castlevania game, you finally made it to the Power Plant

and this music played

• In Aria of Sorrow, they should have avoided displaying "Top Floor" when you simply pass through the bottom room between the Inner Quarters and the Castle Corridor and don't yet get to explore more of it.

It's like how in Symphony of the Night you don't get the Colosseum tag when you accidentally enter the Colosseum from the wrong side.
  • there's just something about Symphony of the Night's soundtrack that makes it so rich and unique

i can't figure out what it has that the other Michiru Yamane soundtracks lack
  • come to think of it I wonder if Bloodlines has that something
  • in case anyone's wondering, Rondo's soundtrack (which is NOT Yamane's work) definitely doesn't have that something
    Rondo's soundtrack is still pretty great though.
  • edited 2015-04-22 04:08:18
    I guess I'm just a little less used to it.  It's very poppy and actiony and not really all that "dark".  It kinda works though I guess.

I prefer the SNES version of the Rondo soundtrack though.

----

on an unrelated note: this is an excellent, excellent final dungeon theme.  twisted, dark, and representative of how the final boss is a twisted perversion of life itself.  it's also thematically associated with the final boss theme.

• can a music track itself be a spoiler?

i think it can

there's this one final dungeon theme that contains a callback to an emotional track from the very beginning of the game
  • It would be interesting if there were a futuristic area in a Castlevania game and Konami hired Inti Creates to write the music for that one area.
  • The 358/2 final boss theme would be spoilery as hell if it wasn't a spoiler everyone already knew.