General Video Game Thread

Comments

• All this talk about sexuality and ME reminded me of Malkavian's rant somewhere, where he said that a. BioWare was the best the gaming industry had at LGBT representation and b. that was sad, because BioWare fucking sucks at it.
  • Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

game itself doesn't work but the cutscene in the intro plays beautifully.
    I can't get Dolphin to work acceptably either, although in my case it was "playing Metroid Prime at 2 frames per second"
  • edited 2015-01-19 00:58:16
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Acererak said:

All this talk about sexuality and ME reminded me of Malkavian's rant somewhere, where he said that a. BioWare was the best the gaming industry had at LGBT representation and b. that was sad, because BioWare fucking sucks at it.

Malk's a great guy. I'm still in touch with him.

I don't feel like Bioware is the best at it. I feel like they're the only ones who give a shit. And they're still awful. Even DAI with its homophobia arc, its wide range of sexualities, and single trans character, it still feels like mere baby steps.

That said, you know what I realized? I realized that Mass Effect attracts facists and genociders (for the good of mankind blah blah blah), while Dragon Age attracts "social justice" extremists and racists in equal measure.

Like, when I say they're extremists, I do actually mean it. Like, "any kind of regulation put on these unstable superhumans are OPPRESSION and CORRUPT BY ORIGIN and THAT GUY DID A COOL AND JUST THING WITH THAT TERRORIST ATTACK".
  • It is notable that Jacob survives this mission regardless of his previous loyalty; there is actually no way to kill him off over the course of this game.

Hah! He's so boring that even the Grim Reaper ignores him!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I do like Jacob's loyalty mission a lot though.
  • edited 2015-01-19 02:41:10
    MachSpeed said:

Acererak said:

All this talk about sexuality and ME reminded me of Malkavian's rant somewhere, where he said that a. BioWare was the best the gaming industry had at LGBT representation and b. that was sad, because BioWare fucking sucks at it.

Malk's a great guy. I'm still in touch with him.
    Where?
  • I do like Jacob's loyalty mission a lot though.
    Arguably one of the best loyalty missions, yes, but for reasons that don't really involve Jacob.

Imagine how easy it would be to write that mission as a standard sidequest, without Jacob. Now imagine doing that to Tali's loyalty mission, or Garrus's. 

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Acerak: On tumblr.

Yarrun: Actually I'm going to have to disagree. When Jacob tells you that the man who made him what he is (the most straight-laced person in the known universe) is his father, you think "wow that guy must have been the pinnacle of a bore", but then it turns out he went all Lord of the Flies.

Basically I'm saying that Jacob being boring enhances that mission, just not in the way intended.
  • Let me guess, it's you, him and Juan, right?
    Acererak: And a few others. Exiles, we are.
  • so here's a thing I thought about today, are there any good action/adventure kind of games that don't have bosses? I couldn't really think of any.

I think about this kind of thing

Spec Ops The Line might count if you squint at it really hard.
    ?
  • Well, it certainly doesn't have any bosses, but I couldn't exactly call it action/adventure, and even labeling it an action game is a bit dubious considering its content.

Pardon me, I'm just being a shill for that game again.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Space Invaders
    Space Invaders is a shmup, I believe.
  • I thought space invaders had that big ship you could shoot for bonus points

maybe that was Galaga.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    ADOM is fucking weird as fuck, Nethack is just... not fun for me,  ToME4 is quite enjoyable, Sil is rather minimal, but quite polished, UnRealWorld is very interesting,  Angband is... well, I didn't play much of it because the non-persistant dungeon is something that annoys me quite a bit.
    I kinda miss the nice complex crafting system in CDDA

I like complexity in a roguelike, but I prefer when it doesn't hinder the keyboard too fast. with very specific commands like cleaning your ears or your face *cough* ADOM *cough*
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS

I thought space invaders had that big ship you could shoot for bonus points

maybe that was Galaga.
    Aren't there a big UFO thingy that occasionally spawn on the top left or top right(above the other spaceship) of the screen and move to the other side of the screen?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    pichun
  • edited 2015-01-20 01:38:10
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

fuck embedding
    pichun!
    *glomps* >u<
    *is glomped*
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Fuck, in the end I didn't really found another roguelike to invest ludicrous amount of time into.
    A boss enemy is usually a sort of end obstacle that you earn the right to face off against by getting past their underlings, I think, not necessarily just a larger or stronger enemy. But this would be silly to argue semantics about, yes?
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    DCSS doesn't have any real boss :O
    Bosses aren't really a necessary thing you have to have all the time, and sometimes they are just a little formality anyway. Then there are games like Touhou, where half of the game is bosses and their personal excesses, and it's glorious.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    Dang, I just wish I could play games with people, just one more time, I don't know what it feels like anymore, maybe I'll just be disappointed. And I'll be like: "I'm never doing that again!" but then, I would forgot, and feel like that, again, maybe I'm just unlucky, I don't know.
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    When I try to play with friends, it's messy and no one really wants to play, and when I try to play with gamer communities it's shit.
  • Pyridrym said:

When I try to play with friends, it's messy and no one really wants to play, and when I try to play with gamer communities it's shit.

Accurate. 

Used to have something of a group back home at church. But then everyone went off to college. We also lost the TV we used to use, which meant that I had to unwire my mom's television, bring it to church, hope that we actually get to play the damn thing, lug it home and rewire it. And the plug is behind this huge wardrobe that I had to move aside. Suffice to say that I got tired of it. 

That, and my relationship with the only guy who was willing to play with me devolved from "old friends/acquaintances" to "he asks me whether I'm bringing the Wii and I say no". Bad stuff.
  • Pretty much the only games I play these days are online multiplayer; either WoW or War Thunder, mostly. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i play Hyrule Warriors with my brother sometimes

that's it at the moment
    I play hardcore danmaku to get scores and I'm better at it than at least 99% of humans and yet I am still quite bad. The more my scores go up, the more I realize I am actually really bad, and that is okay.
  • I think you are perhaps underselling yourself just a tad.
    I seem to be catching up on Castlevanias, almost finished with Harmony of Dissonance now
  • Harmony of Dissonance

sredni vashtar approved game title
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i have made my thoughts on 'bad' known, i guess repeating myself won't go down well

if you're ok, that's the important part
  • Bee said:

Just finished Fortune Summoners.  Selene is a bitch and a half, primarily because your casters run right into her black hole attack and try to cast while getting hit by it instead of rolling away like sensible people.  For a game that's been defined up till now by some of the most intelligent and competent AI teammates I've ever seen in a game, it was pretty jarring.  But you can't afford to control a caster during that fight and let CPU Arche go killbot, because Arche has to continually interrupt Selene's casts and pin down adds instead of her usual wholesale killing spree.

Also lol cliffhanger.  And lol half-assed postgame content.  And lol unlocking Nightmare difficulty.  Don't think I'm gonna put myself through that -- Expert was quite enough.

Also I looked it up on Metacritic.  It's gotten decently positive feedback from the general public, but the published critics mostly panned it essentially for not being Ys.  Except the Wot I Think one, which spent 2/3 of it giving legit criticism and praise, and 1/3 bitching about bees (YES.  WE DRINK YOUR TEARS).

Were you playing on Normal?
  • Also, is Valdis Story anything like Fortune Summoners?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-20 20:36:50
    I was playing Expert.  I imagine Selene would be more reasonable on Normal if your casters didn't get quite so completely fucked over by the black hole.  It was already a borderline thing on Expert.

I watched a video of the Selene fight on Nightmare and she summons black harpies.

Actually I took Selene on Expert at level 21.  From what I understand, the final spells Sana and Stella get at the cap (mass heal and a hitstun-happy summon at 23) seem tailor-made for that fight, so it probably wouldn't be that bad if I ground it out.  But that's like, SUPER tedious, and Selene herself only barely pushed me to 22.

Never played Valdis Story, but it looks more like Dust than this, so awesome in a different way.
  • And I was a little disappointed that I never got to fight black harpies...uh-oh...
  • Also I heard that Valdis Story is a metroidvania with brawler controls, that's why I was thinking of comparing FS and VS.