General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Bee said:

Arche now literally has wings and can shoot sword lasers.  GG

FTW
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I somehow beat Cave Story. It was pretty exhilarating.

Next step is to play again so that I can save Curly this time.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.

fun fact: I started playing SotN because I knew raocow was going to, and I wanted to be familiar with the game. That way, I can get annoyed when he does things like obliviously walk past all the save points.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Shovel Knight was fun.
  • So, I think I fixed my problem with Dark Souls 2 not running at full capacity. Ever since I accidentally left my  cooling pad unplugged (and then tested it multiple times to check and confirm it wasn't something else), Dark Souls 2 has been running perfectly. Not sure why that would be the cause of the issue, but apparently it is.
    Cream said:

Shovel Knight was fun.

was it?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    I had fun with it, anyway.
  • it is obligated to be pretty cool since it has virt's music
  • BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I feel like modding Rimworld because alpha = notenoughcontent
  • edited 2015-01-06 05:05:22
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS
    I could add shitty world gen with real life geological phenomena. and you wouldn't actually mine steel :v
    You would have to make charcoal! Mine hematite or magnetite! Make a coke oven!

naah, that's probably a bad idea...

Pyridrym talks about boring shit, again
  • Pyridrym said:

I could add shitty world gen with real life geological phenomena. and you would actually mine steel :v

You would have to make charcoal! Mine hematite or magnetite! Make a coke oven!

naah, that's probably a bad idea...

Pyridrym talks about boring shit, again
    would play
  • I have been playing a good bit of PvP in Dark Souls 2. Never did much PvP in Dark Souls, so I figured I'd give it a try and I'm really enjoying myself so far. Because of my cheaply internet connection, I get back-stabbed because of lag annoyingly often but other than that it's fun.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-10 08:17:54
    I just finished both Puzzle Agent games.

The puzzles ranged from decent to very meh.  Also I can't say I agree with their decision to make the last (and IMO best) puzzle dependent on a perfect run of a three hour game with no mistakes, especially when several of the puzzles are explained very poorly, and one of them actually required knowledge of integral calculus but was so full of dimension mismatches that anyone who did know it wouldn't think they had the right answer.  I don't regret the 7 or so hours between them, but it could have been much better.

The writing though...that was good.  Very Telltale.  The villagers felt appropriately uncanny throughout, and I loved how some of the puzzles would just get interrupted by fucking screaming space gnomes ganking pieces out of them.  I'm still not entirely sure what the fuck happened at the end.  It was a much better story than it was a Layton.
  • Good to know this before I get around to playing PA2.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-11 08:32:43
    Played through Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris with a friend.  IMO it's not quite as outstanding as Guardian of Light, but still very fun and worth playing if you have a buddy to co-op with.

Weirdly, it leaves two actual gods alive and active by the end of things.  Benevolent ones at least, which is more than can be said for the type Lara tends to run into, but it's still a major loose plot thread that Isis and Horus are running around present times with the ability to control the celestial bodies and weather.
  • I played the original Legend of Zelda for the first time today. 

Got far enough to clear the second dungeon (after doing a bunch of collecting stuff as recommended by the game guide I was using), game's pretty fun.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-11 08:37:23
    NES Zelda has aged surprisingly well.  The only thing that's really wrong with it in comparison to modern gaming conventions is the complete lack of direction (which gets pretty nasty when key areas are uncovered by burning completely arbitrary unmarked trees, etc).  But in terms of gaming mechanics it's still very solid.
    Yeah, the original Zelda can suffer from "what the heck do I do now" syndrome, but otherwise it's held up pretty well.

I think that A Link to the Past does the same basic concept a lot better, though.
  • Bee said:

NES Zelda has aged surprisingly well.  The only thing that's really wrong with it in comparison to modern gaming conventions is the complete lack of direction (which gets pretty nasty when key areas are uncovered by burning completely arbitrary unmarked trees, etc).  But in terms of gaming mechanics it's still very solid.

did you know that dodongo dislikes smoke?
    everybody knows that
  • what about the things that are a secret to everybody
    I quote that all the time.
    Now then, let's play money making game!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    he disliked smoke to the end :(
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    awesome games done quick raised like a million and a half dollars
  • Tachyon said:

>get rules card
    >CHUB DISLIKES SMOKE

gg
    a binding of isaac reference, i assume

i've never played it
  • See Rules Card.

for a time, a bug prevented it from "paying out" with anything but CHUB DISLIKES SMOKE
    given the inscrutable reference that's slightly hilarious
  • Tachyon said:

i got this reference
    :)
  • Glenn you should play The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

not for any particular reason, you just should.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i kind of think glenn would probably be too repulsed by the aesthetic
  • also the bae might be getting me A Link Between Worlds

he said I might like it.
    As a longtime fan of A Link to the Past, I keep thinking I might like that one as well.

I'll probably play it someday
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-12 08:32:52
    Link Between Worlds was fun, but it suffers from items being completely useless outside the dungeons you're supposed to use them in.  I mean most Zelda games do to an extent, but the rent-to-own gimmick means they actually design the dungeons to only need the intended item and not have any particular use for the others.

Also the boss fights range from clever to really, really boneheaded -- there were deeper boss fights in Awakening and the Oracle games.  And they seem to really like making you fight Moldorm over and over again for no particular reason.
  • the only Zelda game I have played at length was (well, is) the first.

CC said he thinks I'll like it so I trust I will.
  • Glenn you should play The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

not for any particular reason, you just should.
    Calica said:

i kind of think glenn would probably be too repulsed by the aesthetic

I haven't specifically paid attention to Rebirth, but I never particularly liked the art style of Binding of Isaac.

That said, any specific reasons I should play it?  that you think should trump my not feeling like playing it based on the art?
  • well it uses pixel graphics instead of the flash graphics of the original

admittedly it is a little hard to tell here but this was the only gif I could find that wasn't prerelease

also it's like really good

I'm bad at this.
  • it sorta looks like zelda or anodyne but faster and with more of an intentional ick aesthetic to it.
  • That's actually a pretty apt description, tbh.

It took me a while to warm up to it (it still makes me cringe, though I'm sure that's intentional).
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's definitely intentionally gross, which like others, may already be enough of a dealbreaker for you (and fair enough). I'd say it's similar to the original Zelda games insofar as the monsters and rooms are fairly varied, but I always personally found the comparisons to end there, beyond the relatively minor pickup animation. The bosses do give off the same serious vibe as the handhelds, and it's a fairly... interesting roguelike as far as challenges go. I honestly find the difficulty to be pretty weird, but it's definitely fairer than the original. The Zelda comparisons are hit-and-miss with me, though I've definitely jumped all over the place where that's concerned (still played the NES version which should be enough).

I'd say it's faster if you don't care for completing all of the rooms, or aren't as slow of a player as me. Not that being faster than me is very hard.
  • There are incentives for both going fast and going slow.

As for the Zelda comparisons, several items and some gameplay mechanics are just straight up lifted from NES Zelda (off the top of my head: the compass, the map, the Blue Candle, the Crimson Candle, the Boomerang), but it's an arena shooter, so you're actually looking like a gameplay more similar to something like Berzerk. It's too frantic and too many enemies are onscreen at once for it to be much like Zelda.

it's an interesting game with a lot of depth to it (especially if you refrain from using wikis), but it is not for everyone.
    Well sure, but it's not unusual for a game to take 40 or 50 minutes, is what I'm getting at.

That's also true, I neglected to mention how it plays, and that those are also noticeable references.

While on the subject, I love how Rebirth, at least for me, actually made Brimstone fun. I Brimsnapped before and it only made Brimstone sort of fun, but was still otherwise ugly and boring (though not as much as the Fetus items). I've actually picked it up twice in two recent runs that weren't very far apart, which is interesting.
  • I like that Soy Milk lets you Brimsnap.
    I personally can't stand Soy Milk unless I have a number of tear modifiers, and it always comes at a time when I already like where my run is going. I have a few items like that, actually.
  • Soy Milk + Libra is a very interesting combination.

Libra makes every other stat up item an allstats upgrade, recall.