General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    But how does Mario Kart 8 fit into the timeline?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    like omg

I just learned this exists
  • > Cow: be touched
    ^_^
  • Oh God, the last dungeon in Fortune summoners is ridiculous.

I did cheese the midboss pretty badly though.  Sana hit me with Mirror Image, and I caught both of the sergeants in the corner in an infinite rolling juggle.  I call it the Lolipop Chainsaw.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I think Yahtzee has served his purpose as a game reviewer.
    We don't need a Yahtzee anymore than we need a John Solomon.
    At some point we did, but now we don't.
    I think gamers have moved on from getting angry at people who tell them Destiny sucks and moved on to homicidal rage at people who say Destiny has bad gender politics.

The old anger people threw at Yahtzee or John Solomon or Jim Sterling when he was more of a troll seems quaint now.
  • What, did Yahtzee get involved in GamerGate stuff?
    I don't know, and I don't care. He doesn't really matter anymore.
  • then why did you triplepost about him
    Acererak said:

then why did you triplepost about him

Because I kept having more thoughts, and artifacts interest me.

Anyway, I googled Yahtzee gamergate and I found this hateblog that got immediately derailed by gamergate, which is funny in a sad way http://yahtzeecrowshawsucks.blogspot.com/
    If John Solomon was still blogging, he'd be against gamergate, but it doesn't matter.
  • I was under the impression that John Solomon was a Robert Howard character
    Acererak said:

I was under the impression that John Solomon was a Robert Howard character

He was the Your Webcomic Sucks guy I think.
  • Was that different from the Bad Webcomics Wiki?
    It inspired it.
  • FemShep kind of gets screwed over in terms of romance options in Mass Effect 2-3. Especially if she's straight.

From the options that carry over from 2 to 3, you get to choose between a man who's on the verge of dying from a disease, a man who will cheat on you between 2 and 3, and Garrus, who isn't a bad choice but not everyone wants to date a lizard-person. And the options (well, male options) that you can obtain in 3 are limited to Kaiden, who might not even be alive because of the whole Virimire thing. That's 4 options.

All of MaleShep's romances from ME2 can work out fine in ME3. And he can get three other relationships in ME3. That's 6. Even accounting for the gay/bi options leaves MaleShep with one more.
  • And while I'm complaining about ME romances,

There's this option in ME2 to have your paramour come up to your cabin to snuggle. With MaleShep, it looks like, well,

But for FemShep, you get this (skip to 0:28 or so):

Now, I'm not exactly an expert on cuddling, but isn't it off that the female in the relationship is the one who hugs and the male just kind of lies there? And isn't it weird for this to be the default cuddle position for all romances? Including Jack, the butch biotic warrior?
  • And now I'm thinking about Jack.

I could complain about how all the weird things about Jack ruin all the good thing about Jack, but I'd also like to spend the next two hours doing something relatively productive.
    somebody once compared me to Yahtzee, I still have no idea what that was supposed to mean.

Now,
    I'm not exactly an expert on cuddling, but isn't it off that the female
    in the relationship is the one who hugs and the male just kind of lies
    there?

implying what, Yarrun W. Mace?
    also the quote formatting there is just wrong, I blame the misaligned stars.
    how so?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-17 23:15:38
    Just finished Fortune Summoners.  Selene is a bitch and a half, primarily because your casters run right into her black hole attack and try to cast while getting hit by it instead of rolling away like sensible people.  For a game that's been defined up till now by some of the most intelligent and competent AI teammates I've ever seen in a game, it was pretty jarring.  But you can't afford to control a caster during that fight and let CPU Arche go killbot, because Arche has to continually interrupt Selene's casts and pin down adds instead of her usual wholesale killing spree.

Also lol cliffhanger.  And lol half-assed postgame content.  And lol unlocking Nightmare difficulty.  Don't think I'm gonna put myself through that -- Expert was quite enough.

Also I looked it up on Metacritic.  It's gotten decently positive feedback from the general public, but the published critics mostly panned it essentially for not being Ys.  Except the Wot I Think one, which spent 2/3 of it giving legit criticism and praise, and 1/3 bitching about bees (YES.  WE DRINK YOUR TEARS).
    so here's a thing I thought about today, are there any good action/adventure kind of games that don't have bosses? I couldn't really think of any.

I think about this kind of thing
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-17 23:19:15
    It's kind of difficult to do a good action/adventure game without some kind of climax, and it's difficult to do a good climax without some kind of unusual challenge you haven't seen before.

The first Mario game, maybe, since the "boss" was a dude you ignore and run under/through.
    I thought of SMB, but I think that still counts as a boss.

Toejam & Earl
    could be an example, though.
  • Part of that "default cuddle position" is that the lighter partner should be on top, though; more comfortable for everyone.  That's generally the woman in a male/female pairing.  But in that one, he's just too wooden.  To much Manly McSquarejaw.
  • I have generally found side cuddling to be a superior experience to being smooshed/smooshing the other someone cuddling
  • Morven said:

Part of that "default cuddle position" is that the lighter partner should be on top, though; more comfortable for everyone.  That's generally the woman in a male/female pairing.  But in that one, he's just too wooden.  To much Manly McSquarejaw.

Ah, a better way to describe my issue with it.
  • And part of the reason behind that is the idea that cuddling is, fundamentally, for the woman.  It is something a man manfully endures to please her.  That that default position is uncomfortable for the man is the point.

Yeesh, stupid gender roles and their fuckedupness.
    I think I may have misunderstood Yarrun to begin with, but whatever, I agree with what Morven just said.
    also, to answer my previous question, I don't think Ecco the Dolphin has bosses except for the very last level, and nobody gets that far anyway
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    naney said:

I have generally found side cuddling to be a superior experience to being smooshed/smooshing the other someone cuddling

Naney knows how to do dat Christian side hug. *does that Christian side hug to him* :D
    boob cuddling is best

/irrelevant to thread, really
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-01-18 03:10:56

also, to answer my previous question, I don't think Ecco the Dolphin has bosses except for the very last level, and nobody gets that far anyway

Dark Asterite.

And I got that far when I was like eight, thank you.  Though the Machine was a family effort to remember the whole thing.
  • edited 2015-01-18 03:47:23
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

FemShep kind of gets screwed over in terms of romance options in Mass Effect 2-3. Especially if she's straight.

From the options that carry over from 2 to 3, you get to choose between a man who's on the verge of dying from a disease, a man who will cheat on you between 2 and 3, and Garrus, who isn't a bad choice but not everyone wants to date a lizard-person. And the options (well, male options) that you can obtain in 3 are limited to Kaiden, who might not even be alive because of the whole Virimire thing. That's 4 options.

All of MaleShep's romances from ME2 can work out fine in ME3. And he can get three other relationships in ME3. That's 6. Even accounting for the gay/bi options leaves MaleShep with one more.
    Lots of folks love Thane Krios because he's dying and it's super-tragic and everything. Every scene with him is colored very differently if you're romancing him and I thought it was really great.

Also, Garrus is a bird-man thank you very much.

(I will agree that the limited animation capabilities of Bioware make portraying body language very difficult)
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I can never get blockquotes to work properly.
  • Manshep doesn't need to portray body language.  His words transcend such subtlety.

Bee said:

Dark Asterite.

And I got that far when I was like eight, thank you.  Though the Machine was a family effort to remember the whole thing.
    forgot Dark Asterite

and you have more patience than I do
  • I know. I picked him for my FemShep run, actually because of how majestic he is (and because I accidentally blocked off all other options, but that's another story). It's just that, since I got Kaidan killed at Virimire, I'm basically locked out of any other heterosexual romantic interaction (and even if she did bat for the other team, neither Traynor or T'Soni are really her type). And it doesn't count towards the Paramour achievement, which is such, such bull. 

Still surprised that Kaidan's bisexual in ME3. Did not know that until I did some reading to fortify my complaints. A rare sight to see someone go from straight to bi in a story that's not fetishizing it. 

And it's more of a bird-lizard-man, if we're being perfectly accurate. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Actually all the romances in ME1 were supposed to be bisexual. But that didn't happen for some reason.
    Now that I didn't know. That would have been really cool.

game itself doesn't work but the cutscene in the intro plays beautifully.
  • if you're curious, it swings wildly back and forth between running at about 20% of the normal game speed and running at about 200% of it.

I can enable some graphic stuff in the options menu meant to improve performance but that causes it to freeze up every 30 seconds or so, I'm pretty sure my laptop's video card just can't handle it.