General Video Game Thread

Comments

• also this game's credits are really long even though only a few people at Mm actually worked on it

music's still killer tho
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I have been away playing Binding of Isaac and Pokémon Y and they are super fantastic. I've beaten Blue Baby with Isaac, beaten Isaac with Isaac and Cain and Eve, and still need to beat Sheol and the Cathedral and the Chest with the rest. Still 80% of the way through the achievements, feels good. Pokémon I'm being real slow on, which is ridiculous, but hey! I will be set for a long, long time.
  • er

ya sure?

cuz I can't find you on Steam

Huh. Well, I don't use it very often.
  • edited 2014-01-03 19:38:08
    Oh wait, maybe my login is different from my Steam name? Well, I guess that means my Steam name has my personal information in it, so I'll send it to you via PM.
  • edited 2014-01-03 21:30:19
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    *shrug* Somehow that makes me more comfortable.
  • edited 2014-01-03 21:40:56

i kinda have to agree

im kinda excited for bravely default, i really enjoyed the four heroes of light, and the battle system seems interesting

in other news i restarted pokemon x because the male character outfits and also hair were lousy

plus the event torchic w/ the blazikenite made the game waaaaaaay to easy like it just wiped the floor with everything

p much exactly like this

ALSO does anybody have any Shin Megami Tensei IV tips? I seem to be dying a lot, and i think that this is because there is something I don't get when it comes to negotiating with demons...
  • edited 2014-01-03 21:45:40

i mean like dying as in "getting utterly annihilated like wet, perforated tissue paper in the face of a hurricane"

which i think is a good indication that im doing someting wrong
    Yon, would you be up for trading friend codes? And anyone else, if you folks want to.
  • edited 2014-01-03 21:50:17

sure thingymabob!

mine is 0920-1133-8813

:3
    Added! Yay, more friends.

this is still one of the best images on the internet
  • I still don't understand what I'm supposed to glean from that image.

I also have no idea  who Ben Kuchera is.
  • edited 2014-01-04 07:08:36

Apparently Ben Kuchera is a video game news editor who use to work at PAR and Ars Technica and now works at Polygon.

But I don't understand the meaning of that image either, unless it's just about the irony of a video game journalist blocking someone who claims that all video game journalists are too immature to ever be proper critics.

I just had a rather clutch BOI victory.
  • And it's only two tweets; maybe this guy had been bothering Ben Kuchera for a while; maybe Ben was just having a bad day. 
  • So I've now discovered at least three games (Risk of Rain, Nuclear Throne, and The Binding of Isaac, sometimes) that lag heavily for no apparent reason when they never used to. Afaik the only thing any of these have in common is that they all have roguelike elements which I doubt is affecting their technical performance.

Does anyone have any idea what's up? It's really annoying not being able to play like a third of the games I own.
  • edited 2014-01-04 13:30:14
    Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • edited 2014-01-11 13:25:21
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    DR Vita re-release, localized in English

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

they all have roguelike elements which I doubt is affecting their technical performance.

nah dude you're all wrong

you need a special graphics card and everything
    Yeah sorry I can't really help you there
  • edited 2014-01-12 10:38:53
    I feel sorry for the miner guy in Dragonborn. His ancestor died because of a company conspiracy, he tries to tell everyone but is ignored, he's the laughingstock of Solstheim and on top of that he's married to a Dunmer. It took a complete stranger who just happened to be a legendary hero to save his dying dignity.

Still can't do anything about the Dunmer part though.
  • Acererak said:

I feel sorry for the miner guy in Dragonborn. His ancestor died because of a company conspiracy, he tries to tell everyone but is ignored, he's the laughingstock of Solstheim and on top of that he's married to a Dunmer. It took a complete stranger who just happened to be a legendary hero to save his dying dignity.

Still can't do anything about the Dunmer part though.
    What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little s'wit? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Morag Tong, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on the Thalmor, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I'm trained in Argonian warfare and I'm the top Destruction mage in the entire Morag Tong. You are nothing to me but another target. I will will wipe you the fuck out with Marksman skill the likes of which has never before been seen on this Nirn, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me by courier? Think again fetcher. As we speak I'm contacting my secret network of spies across Tamriel and your Life is being Detected right now, so you better prepare for the storm, n'wah. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you seven hundred ways, and that's just with my Hand-to-Hand skill. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Buoyant Armigers, and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the Empire, you little s'wit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have stayed your quill. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you gods-damned idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, sera.
  • You guys should play Hello Hell....o? and Pelicump if you like weird stuff.
  • edited 2014-01-12 23:00:17
    Minor observation in Steam.

In the friends list, the default colors (and order) for status are:
    green = in-game
    blue = online
    grey = offline

A few months ago, I was trying out some Steam skins.  I ran across a skin that put a checkmark (a.k.a. a tick) on the "in-game" border, and put an hourglass symbol on one of the other statuses.  Or maybe it put an hourglass symbol on the "in-game" border and later changed it to the check mark.  Or something like that.

I was wondering, why put a check-mark next to the in-game border?  I mean, those are people who are busy playing games!  You can't chat with them when they're busy!

...then I realized that Steam's social features were primarily designed with multiplayer gaming in mind.  The green color.  The top-of-the-list placement.  And the skin designer's idea of putting a checkmark next to them.
  • So, about Speechcraft in the Elder Scrolls. While it's usefulness as a pseudo-Barter skill is clear, it's usefulness in, well, speaking, isn't quite as clear. So, let's fix that!

Let's say that you got caught by a guard for a minor crime, like pickpocketing or shoplifting. Let's have three choices: run, plead guilty, or fight the charge! The third one takes you to court, where you use Speechcraft to convince the courts that you, in fact, are not guilty of the crime. And at higher levels, you can even counter-sue to get gold! It's perfect for a skill in the Thief category, right? R-right?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It would be broken. 

But then what about Skyrim isn't broken?
  • Come near me and I'll kill you!
    From my tumblr:

Thanks to boredom, I want to start ANOTHER Let’s Play, but first, I will let you guys vote on what game I should LP!

On another note, if I can, then I’ll let YOU choose which characters
    to pick or applications for soldiers (In the case of certain games)

* OpenXCOM

* MegaMek

* Jagged Alliance 2

* Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

* Silent Storm

* Taking ANY suggestions for LPs!

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    DLC Quest.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://i.imgur.com/XPZ0VjB.png I'll take indie game creators not to support for five hundred, Alex.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    lul what a loser.
  • woooooow

you'd think dude would be smart enough to cover his tracks but apparently not
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    neato :o
  • I got that game ages ago as part of the Humble Botanicula Bundle and never touched it.

Until now.
  • The random Capitalization of Words kind of reminds me of CWC.
  • The YouTube mirror of the [REC] Shutter stream that started the whole Bob vs. Kumi thing has now been taken down by a copyright claim (surprise surprise), but the original video is still up on Hitbox if you want to watch it.
    lol what a fucking loser
    alright

played Spec Ops: The Line

need to sleep on it to know how I really feel
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

• ...how exactly did that last scene come to fruition? Was the room instantly filled with cheese, or was it done gradually just for the sake of that screenshot?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i dunno

presumably they just spawned a bunch of cheese in that spot
  • edited 2014-01-20 10:38:46
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The PC version of Skyrim has a dialogue box where you can enter in command codes to alter the game world, like spawn any item in any state, resurrect or kill NPCs, monkey with the rules, and several others.
    Alright Yarrun I did it

I started playing KoL again
  • http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world

Since we reached our funding goal we have been trying hard to work out plans for extended development. We know where we want to take Rain World content-wise, we already have a vision of what kind of world this is. So rather than expanding it just for the sake of expanding it, we want to improve upon what we have and bring it to people on more platforms. (Linux has been the #1 subject of comments and emails by a large margin)

However, one obstacle in this path is that the development environment I've been using to create Rain World doesn't support many platforms, and I've had to work around a lot of quirks and limitations to even get this far. But, if we had the resources to hire someone for a more substantial amount of time, we could do something very significant: we could migrate Rain World into a more modern and versatile programming language.

Doing this would bring many benefits. We would get Linux support for sure, and other platforms would suddenly be within reach. By switching to a more advanced programming language we would remove any of the limitations of our current engine. We could increase the number of objects on the screen, increase performance and allow for larger and more dynamic levels, perhaps even (if I'm allowed to dream!) adding graphical polish such as water physics and dynamic lighting. Additionally, I'd be able to take the creature A.I. even further, and A.I. is pretty much my favorite thing!

So why not make that our goal? If we reach $50,000 we will enlist the aid of a skilled programmer to help us move the game over to a more modern development tool (we have our sights set on Unity), opening up for a Linux version of Rain World (with the possibility of other platforms in the future), plus improve both the performance of the engine and the richness of the game experience. Sound good?

Thank you all so much, again! We really look forward to this journey, and you can trust us to work hard to make Rain World everything it has the potential to be.

throw monies at this plzkthnks

(*10 dollars nets you a copy of the game once it comes out and also cool concept art and stuffs, so if this game looks like a thing you would like you totes should*)