General Video Game Thread

Comments

• also

I know his series makes this very obvious but Kratos is freakin' scary

goddamn dude
  • Thought:

It’s frustrating seeing all the love and attention people like Michael Kirkbride gave to Morrowind because, let’s be honest with ourselves here, Morrowind was a horrendously designed game. And that made it really hard to care about the thought put into the worldbuilding.

In a fight between worldbuilding and compelling characterization, compelling characterization always wins. The only way a viewer can care about a world is through its characters, and that’s why even though Oblivion and Skyrim were, on the whole, less unique worlds than Morrowind, they still “work” better because they get you to care about the worlds through interesting characters.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Kexruct said:

The only way a viewer can care about a world is through its characters
    nope
  • Tachyon said:

Kexruct said:

nope
    The most important step to creating a compelling narrative or world is through characters. Period. If your characters are bad, your story is bad, and no one will care about the world you've made.
  • Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

Kexruct said:

nope
    The most important step to creating a compelling narrative or world is through characters. Period. If your characters are bad, your story is bad, and no one will care about the world you've made.
    nope
  • Characters are the lens through which a world is viewed. You can create the most beautifully complex world ever but the only way you're going to make people care is through characters.
  • Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

Kexruct said:

nope
    nope
    Then provide a counterpoint. Don't just say "nope." I don't like being condescended to.
  • edited 2014-02-01 02:43:34
    Name one narrative that could foster engagement in the world entirely independently of characters.
  • all the characters in the dexter books are bluh

they do eat some fine-ass sandwiches tho
  • all the characters in the dexter books are bluh

I have no idea how this is supposed to refute what I said.
    i'm not trying to be condescending, i just really hate sweeping statements about how fiction is to be received

the characters are part of the world, so 'entirely independently of its characters' is probably going too far, but the characters are not the only things a reader may appreciate a story for

characters are probably the most popular, but there are innumerable other things that can draw gamers into a game world
  • If your characters are bad, your story is bad, 

all the characters in the dexter books are bluh
    and no one will care about the world you've made.

• edited 2014-02-01 02:53:30
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    in fact i'd say it's probably more true that audiences can engage with the world for other reasons in the case of video games than non-interactive audiovisual media, since the player gets to explore the game world themselves without the need for a surrogate set of eyes to drive the story (the PC generally not being much of a character, at least not in a game like Morrowind)
  • Tachyon said:

i'm not trying to be condescending, i just really hate sweeping statements about how fiction is to be received

the characters are part of the world, so 'entirely independently of its characters' is probably going too far, but the characters are not the only things a reader may appreciate a story for

I wasn't saying that characters are the only worthwhile aspect of stories, just that they're the most important for drawing people in. You have to foster a relationship with the viewer/player/reader/etc. before you can expect them to care about the intricacies of a world. 

Games are somewhat different in that you can technically draw a player in with stuff like a mysterious atmosphere or, well, good game design, but ultimately worldbuilding almost always relies on characters.
    'almost always' is not the same as 'the only way'

audiences usually care about characters the most, but not everyone does

you are generalizing about how fictional worlds are to be received, and i think that's wrong
  • And actually Morrowind is a really good example for why characters are so important to worldbuilding because- in spite of how intricate and interesting the world may be- I really can't force myself to care about much more than the surface level of it because it has so few compelling characters, and the initial "fish out of water" feeling can only go so far. The question is, why should I care about the effects of imperialism on the natives of Vvardenfell if I can't feel how it affects anyone?
  • Kexruct said:

I really can't force myself to care about much more than the surface level of it because it has so few compelling characters

1. that's you, not everyone

2. 'the effects of imperialism on the natives of Vvardenfell' is something that entirely concerns characters: the effects of characters' actions on other characters

there is more to the world than that
    arguing!
  • Tachyon said:

'almost always' is not the same as 'the only way'

audiences usually care about characters the most, but not everyone does

you are generalizing about how fictional worlds are to be received, and i think that's wrong

And again, I ask you to come up with one narrative that capable of drawing you into a world without compelling characters. I don't like broad generalizations about storytelling either, but the idea that characters are the most important aspect of a good story is very important. 

The only way a viewer can be drawn into a world aside from compelling characters that I can think of is through a desire to learn more, and unless it's a video game (where having a protagonist with virtually no personality is a viable option) virtually the only way to make someone want to learn more is through creating compelling characters. I challenge you to think of one example where this isn't the case.
    Morrowind
  • edited 2014-02-01 03:09:29

Kexruct said:

I really can't force myself to care about much more than the surface level of it because it has so few compelling characters

See, you're implying that this is a matter of personal taste but you're not actually providing any sort of counterpoint. Which makes it feel like I'm just being attacked. 
    Tachyon said:

1. that's you, not everyone

2. 'the effects of imperialism on the natives of Vvardenfell' is something that entirely concerns characters: the effects of characters' actions on other characters

there is more to the world than that

I'm not going to come up with a bunch of examples of worldbuilding tidbits I don't care about because that's not going to get me anywhere.
  • Tachyon said:

Morrowind

Have you actually played Morrowind? Aside from the main quest, what bits of story information do you remember?
    there's your problem then

you're making assumptions about what other people should care about based on what you care about

you're all like 'i challenge you to find ONE example' but the only example of an aspect of the fictional world that you've given is one that's entirely character-based

so what you're asking appears to boil down to 'how can you expect audiences to care about characters if they don't care about the characters?'
  • edited 2014-02-01 03:13:06
    Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

Morrowind

Have you actually played Morrowind? Aside from the main quest, what bits of story information do you remember?
    in answer to your first question, actually no

i've seen videos online and i've played Oblivion and Skyrim, though

in answer to your second question, cliff racers

for example
    'but tach' you cry 'how are cliff racers part of the story?'

fair point, but i thought we were talking about fictional worlds here

stories are another kettle of fish altogether
  • edited 2014-02-01 03:20:59
    Tachyon said:

there's your problem then

you're making assumptions about what other people should care about based on what you care about

I'm not trying to dictate what people are and aren't allowed to care about. I'm just stating what appears to be true about fiction in general from where I stand, and putting on the pretense of "well it's just my opinion" is pointless.
    Tachyon said:

you're all like 'i challenge you to find ONE example' but the only example of an aspect of the fictional world that you've given is one that's entirely character-based

Because those are the only ones capable of having any meaning, period. Like, if I were to present you with a world where the trees walk, well, why would you care? I mean, maybe it's a neat concept, but in what capacity does it resonate or really mean something? That's why characters are important. They're what infuse meaning into a world or story.

And that's also why I told you to come up with an example, because I sure as hell can't think of any time I've found a world interesting if I couldn't care about the characters.
    Kexruct said:

Because those are the only ones capable of having any meaning, period.

nope
  • Tachyon said:

'but tach' you cry 'how are cliff racers part of the story?'

fair point, but i thought we were talking about fictional worlds here

stories are another kettle of fish altogether

If there's a work of fiction, you can't talk about its world independently of its story.
    yes, you can

they are different things

read E.M. Forster
  • Tachyon said:

Kexruct said:

Because those are the only ones capable of having any meaning, period.

nope
    You're just disagreeing with me on the grounds of "Well there has to be an exception, right?" You're not bringing up any points. 
  • edited 2014-02-01 03:25:07
    or if you can't be bothered to do that, imagine someone who cares about cliff racers and walking trees

being interested in the story is not a prerequisite in order to care about those things
  • Tachyon said:

yes, you can

read E.M. Forster

I'm not saying they're not different things, I'm saying that unless you're writing some sort of fictional encyclopedia, the story is how the world is viewed so you can't separate them.
    Kexruct said:

You're just disagreeing with me on the grounds of "Well there has to be an exception, right?" You're not bringing up any points. 

i gave you one specific example, Morrowind

it's not an 'exception' because that would imply that what you are saying is true and we wouldn't be having this argument
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I dunno, I enjoy the fictional worlds in the Zelda games (to take one example) while caring next to nothing about the characters.
  • Tachyon said:

or if you can't be bothered to do that, imagine someone who cares about cliff racers and walking trees

being interested in the story is not a prerequisite in order to care about those things

Why would they care about those things?

What would cause someone to be engaged in that world?
    Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

yes, you can

read E.M. Forster

I'm not saying they're not different things, I'm saying that unless you're writing some sort of fictional encyclopedia, the story is how the world is viewed so you can't separate them.

You can separate them enough to make the distinction, so you can separate them enough to appreciate them independently of one another. Story tends not to matter very much in video games unless it's something really story-driven like The Last of Us. The story in Morrowind is not usually the draw.
    Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

Why would they care about those things?

What would cause someone to be engaged in that world?

i dunno man, what causes people to be interested in anything? that's some philosophical shit
  •  
    Tachyon said:

Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

yes, you can

read E.M. Forster

You can separate them enough to make the distinction, so you can separate them enough to appreciate them independently of one another. Story tends not to matter very much in video games unless it's something really story-driven like The Last of Us. The story in Morrowind is not usually the draw.
    Okay, but if something like the world is the draw, why would someone care about it? What would compel a person to care about the game's world?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Because it's well-made and full of cool stuff
    clever symbolism?  commentary on real life?  it looks really cool?

i don't know, how much analysis do you want here?  i mean you're asking about a pretty deep aspect of human nature and i don't know the answer to why some things are interesting and other things aren't
  • Like, I can say that these things exist
    A cliff racer. A pterodactyl-like creature that inhabits the island of Vvardenfell. They have finely tuned senses and can spot prey long before they've been detected.

But what of that basic, character-free description could possibly compel you to care about cliff racers? You might find it mildly interesting, but if that's all you got, then there's nothing compelling or resonant about it.
    well it's pretty badass

and it's a game so there's like the whole experience of fighting the things
  • Now, if I were to say that...

"Jiub was the protagonist's fellow prisoner at the beginning of Morrowind, but his name is all that is known of him. When the protagonist sets out on their adventure, they are often attacked by cliff racers, initially a great threat but by a few hours in are more of an ever-present nuisance. Dialogue in Oblivion reveals that Jiub, the mysterious prisoner, actually became a saint since leaving prison and drove the cliff racers from Vvardenfell."

Obviously you're not going to care that much because I didn't actually take the time to develop the characters, but that provides something of a narrative framework and a reason to care about why cliff racers exist.
  • Tachyon said:

well it's pretty badass

and it's a game so there's like the whole experience of fighting the things

And admittedly, that is where there's something of a grey area, in that games almost always lead to something of a personal connection, but in the case of games I'd say there at least has to be an associated experience for something to matter, if that makes any sense.
  • edited 2014-02-01 03:41:35
    ^^ but that's not about cliff racers

that's about story
  • Tachyon said:

^^ but that's not about cliff racers

that's about story

You're missing the point here. Devoid of that story context (or the experience of fighting them), why should you care about cliff racers?
    well cliff racers were possibly a poor example

i'm going to talk about Frost Trolls since i'm a lot more personally invested in Skyrim, having played it myself

so for one thing, look at this motherfucker right here

are you trying to tell me that's not an example of compelling design

the third eye?  the monkeylike characteristics?  the spikes?

and that's just the visuals

are you aware, for instance, that the reason fire damages trolls more than anything else is because the continuous tissue damage inhibits their supernatural healing abilities?  that's an interesting detail
    you're also widening the goalposts here since we've gone from 'the ONLY WAY is through characters' to 'ok but apart from story and the experience of playing the game, the ONLY WAY is through characters'

but whatever
  • Interesting, maybe. I'd look at the design and say "Well, that's unique I guess." But I wouldn't have any reason to care except:
    • As someone who has played Skyrim, I've fought them.
    • This book, which presents a character in the way of an overly-enthusiastic author peddling out what is likely common knowledge as if it were some sort of secret.
    So what was just a monster with a neat design is now a monster with a neat design that I care about because I was shown in some way how it affects characters.