General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Holy shit someone talk to me about the latest Nintendo Direct.

Also, I don't think the depiction of people in MM was bad. It seemed rather realistic to me.
  • edited 2013-12-18 11:22:03
    Yeah, which is why it was bad. Hell, the main villain was playing on one human's petty and selfish desires to get what it wanted.

Oh yeah, and I don't mean "bad" as in "it sucked and was totally unrealistic". It depicts humanity as "bad" because it takes the humans are bastards route.
  • I know what you meant, but I'm really not seeing how humanity's depiction was bad. I mean, most people were in denial, a few people were angry, that's about it. Most of those problems are highly understandable. Plus, that game had a lot of really nice moments showcasing how good humans can be in an event like that.
  • IIRC some guy (I think it was the post guy?) was practically begging himself in the form of a letter to leave, but he couldn't because of his borderline-OCD obsession with schedules. Also, the sword-master puts on a brave face for most of the three days, but is reduced to a sobbing wreck in his dojo in the end. You're right in that it's a realistic depiction of humanity, but that's precisely my point. Humanity is portrayed as helpless and cowardly, too weak to save itself outside of a third party's (Link's) agency.
  • You're right, but the overall tone of humanity's depiction wasn't to show how pathetic they were, but how sad it was that they were in that position and the small heroics of people under duress (e.g. the end of Kafei and Anju's quest, the bartender staying at his bar on the third day). Remember, Link is a tried and true hero. Of course he'd be the one to save the day.
  • How long has it been since you've played it?

• No, I mean, no, I mean, no, I mean, yes, but no!

No, but, I, no, GGRK!

This isn't right. Legend of Zelda can't be Kingdom Hearts! It ain't natural.
  • It's a good thing that it's being Dynasty Warriors instead.

It's a spinoff anyway. I only say something "isn't Zelda" if it hasn't been made yet or if it simply isn't good, and the latter hasn't happened yet so I'd be willing to say that this'll be good.
  • I'm sure it's going to be tons of fun. I'm just incapable of associating this fun with LoZ. My mind cannot take it.
  • edited 2013-12-18 12:22:13
    Kexruct said:

How long has it been since you've played it?

August.

I actually never did the Anju/Kafei sidequest.
  • You know, watching the newest Direct it occurred to me that Nintendo is really good at handling their IPs.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Casual reminder that Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons and The Minish Cap are the work of Capcom but they are still part of the series proper, and Miko thinks that the treasure chest and HUD suggest that this one will be as well. Miko approves or whatever. *shrug*

hmm, Majora's Mask is pretty sinister, isn't it? Human flaws are very much on display, and really the mask is able to cause so much trouble because people fall victim to its temptation.
  • edited 2013-12-18 17:16:45
    One person, really. If you count Skull Kid as a person.

Also the new one is confirmed to be a side story.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Link's Awakening is a side story, by Nintendo. It is subjective, really.
    hmm, a long history of the mask causing trouble is implied, and each time it required a victim. Also, society in Termina is kinda mean. :v
  • Miko said:

Link's Awakening is a side story, by Nintendo. It is subjective, really.

No I mean they specifically said it was a spinoff and not connected to the main series.
  • edited 2013-12-18 17:20:25
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    hmm ok whatevs big N :o
  • Miko said:

Also, society in Termina is kinda mean. :v

It's really not that much worse than any Zelda game though? And the focus of the game was decidedly on things like redemption and small but important acts of kindness.
  • edited 2013-12-18 17:21:27
    Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu

Skip to 1:48, Iwata specifically says it's not a main Zelda game
    Fug :DDD Ninja
  • edited 2013-12-18 17:22:58
    More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Darmani, Mikau and Lulu, the falsely accused monkey, Kafei, the invisible soldier, Pamela, and the Romani sisters come to mind. The story is full of victims of human wrongdoing.
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Also this
    Miko wants this game. A lot. :D

• Miko said:

Darmani, Mikau and Lulu, the falsely accused monkey, Kafei, the invisible soldier, Pamela, and the Romani sisters come to mind. The story is full of victims of human wrongdoing.

Darmani, killed by Majora's Mask.
    Kafei, made a child by Majora's Mask.
    The invisible soldier is kind of ambiguous as to what's actually going on.
    Pamela isn't really a victim of anyone? Her father studied Gibdos and became one, somehow.
    The Romani sisters were the victim of aliens.
  • Again, not particularly worse than any other Zelda game, and it's pretty clear that the takeaway from all this isn't supposed to be "humans are bastards."
  • edited 2013-12-18 17:38:28
    Darmani was shunned by his fellow Gorons (I think?) and died alone. Kafei's most important thing was stolen by a thief, which I believe he says is the real reason why he can't face Anju. The invisible soldier is homeless, starving, and ignored. Perhaps his invisibility is less literal and more of an abstraction (these exist, such as the all night mask scenario). The implication is that he blends into the environment perfectly, like you supposedly do when you wear the stone mask. Pamela is forced to take care of an irresponsible single father who continually endangers himself and his daughter. The Romani sisters are terrorized by the Gorman brothers, who are able to exploit the fact that they are vulnerable children forced to figure out how to run the ranch their parents left behind. In the alien scenario, Romani is killed/abducted because Cremia is too focused on the milk delivery and ignores her younger sister.
  • Darmani was hailed as a hero, for one thing, and Cremia ignores Romani because Cremia thinks the idea of aliens abducting the cows is ridiculous. Pamela's father is framed as only somewhat irresponsible, not outright negligent.

Again, the framing is really important here. None of this is framed as a "humans are bastards" story, and again, none of this is any worse than the stuff done in other Zelda games.
    teehee autism
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that's not very nice, Miko
    also i thought it was darker than the average Zelda but whatever
  • Tachyon said:

also i thought it was darker than the average Zelda but whatever

Darker, but I'd say the overall view on humans was the same.
  • edited 2013-12-18 17:48:46
    Tachyon said:

that's not very nice, Miko

sure it is I am the only autistic person in this convo
  • edited 2013-12-18 17:49:38
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    sorry, i don't entirely know who's autistic and who isn't

and i have no interest in this argument
    Like ummmm when my posts start looking like a big brick of text it is time to start throwing bricks at me.
    i didn't think it was that long
  • "turn on Independant Realms map mode you autistic fuck"
  • I'm not mad at you.
  • Come on, guys. There's no reason to throw "autism" around. Miyamoto has stated himself that MM is full of deep symbolism, and it's unfair to chastise someone for trying to read into that.
  • Humans are bastards isn't exactly deep symbolism. It just seems like injecting dark subtext where it isn't really necessary. The overall theme of the game is stuff like kindness and redemption.
    le sigh
  • edited 2013-12-19 14:03:37
    MM is pretty dark already, dude.

Honestly this discussion seems kinda tired at this point.
  • Acererak said:

MM is pretty dark already, dude

But not cynical.
    why is this so important?

people can interpret it how they want
  • But I'm not allowed to disagree?
    do whatever the fuck you want man

i just think this is a silly thing to argue about
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Whilst we're coming up with ridiculous interpretations of things, I would like to posit that the original Spyro trilogy is a metaphor for the war on drugs. In the first game, the dragons are stoned (an obvious metaphor for marijuana use) by Gnasty Gnorc (their dealer). The one dragon who isn't stoned, Spyro, wants to save his friends from a lifetime of drug use, so he decides to take on the Gnorcs (a drug cartel) single handedly.

In the third game, the Sorceress is clearly a stand in for a drug manufacturer, hurting other people just so they can make their drugs.

(While we're at it, Catherine's message is most definitely not "humans are bastards".)
    edge
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Where does Ripto fit into this
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Ripto hates drugs so much that he refuses to associate with anyone who ever used them, and if he meets somebody where there's the slightest possibility they ever did so, he'll try to kill them. Good motives, terrible methods.