General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    HAY @TACHYON

Playdead Ap S, same group behind LIMBO, put out a new game in a similar vein called INSIDE and so I felt obligated to tell you. Unfortunately it's rather expensive (to me anyway).

Also here's an LP.
  • 17:00 -- wow, this guy wasn't kidding when he said he wasn't good at puzzles >_>
    NL is very not good at puzzles, yeah. I find it endearing.
  • I mean I'm watching Faerie Fortune bumbling her way through Zelda, so I guess I can understand that.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @Crystal Nice, thanks for telling me!  This is the first i've heard of it.

The aesthetic is less to my liking than Limbo's, but i'm curious nevertheless.
    "Don't call your cat Mr. Wrinkles.  It's a better name for one of your testicles."
    "Cuz that's what they teach you in biology, they're like, 'Look at this corpse, what is it?  A bear?  Eeh, that's like a C-, it's actually a pig.'"
    You're welcome!
    i really enjoyed it actually
  • i currently have an overabundance of great adventures to play

top choices:
    Pokémon Crystal Emu Edition
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    Tales of Symphonia
    Magical Vacation

secondary choices:
    A Witch's Tale (second playthrough for full story)
    Final Fantasy VI Expert Version
  • kill living beings
    brigador is really good. like just a totally solid game. the campaign teaches you how to do the mix and match of freelancing and get opinions on the dozens of vehicles and weapons. they got a way to put the few dozen levels in different combinations well. just... a lot of stuff and it all fits together and it builds. it's really hard, and it gets harder. it's got implicit goals to work for and good progress towards them, even if the hardest goal seems basically impossible

also: quadrilateral cowboy comes out this month. other games don't matter (except brigador) (brigador is good)
  • I just want to say that among the many little things I love about Hearthstone, the Dalaran Aspirant's attack quote is one of them.

DALARAN ASPIRANT: "So, here's where you're wrong..."
    [Charges and smacks into you]
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I use Sylvanas Windrunner's "Let none survive!" an awful lot in daily conversation.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    For some reason, I'm often reminded in my day-to-day life of: "Tell your friends... There's ice cream... Hidden in the depths of a watery cavern..."
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the "up" on my d-pad keeps sticking and this makes me sad.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I have been playing Mother 1

It is reaaaallly rough but kind of interesting because of that.

I got the patch that reduces difficulty and random battles, and they're still a chore. I can really see why they added all the shifts to how random encounters work in Earthbound.
    Finished Mother 1.

This is definitely a game where the ambition outstripped the technology and money, especially at the end.

Also the whole Gigyas situation in Earthbound now feels way sadder
  • edited 2016-07-13 18:04:40
    Welp, PS Plus is gonna run out on me. And admittedly I only used it for Street Fighter lobbies, I'll probably renew it soon both for SFV and the upcoming King of Fighters XIV (The moment Geese was revealed, it turned into a must-buy for me). I just hope the latter's netcode is good.

Why yes, I am a Fighting Game nut. :V
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-07-14 15:58:35
    Nintendo is re-releasing the NES in miniature form. No cartridge slot, but it comes with 30 games on board, supports HDMI output, and is only $60.

I'm too young to fully appreciate the nostalgia factor, but I love the idea. It's refreshingly simple in an age where the other two are busy trying to one up each other.
  • edited 2016-07-14 16:36:17
    I might consider it if I didn't already have an NES and this NES:CE actually came with the ability to get more games.

Nah.  Wii U with Splatoon is priority.
  • Tre said:

Nintendo is re-releasing the NES in miniature form. No cartridge slot, but it comes with 30 games on board, supports HDMI output, and is only $60.

I'm too young to fully appreciate the nostalgia factor, but I love the idea. It's refreshingly simple in an age where the other two are busy trying to one up each other.

this is basically a licensed version of those shitty "200 games in 1 console!" things so that's cool I guess.

Sad that you only get those 30.

$60 seems a bit much as well.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-14 16:41:37
    Yeah $60 is pretty excessive.  I mean they can literally sell a $5 flash drive with an emulator and a pack of games and then spend their entire development time DRM-locking it.
    I'm with you on the nostalgia bit, but yeah it's grossly expensive, and I thought the same thing as Jane brought up.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    mini NES has Super Contra but not the first one. No deal

Also, yeah, you could put every NES game ever on a flash drive with an emulator and there you go. Although you wouldn't get the ugly gray casing, I suppose.
  • Man, since when is two dollars per game expensive for *any* game

I have to imagine at least some portion of that is so you can buy the gimmicky console itself
  • Like honestly I'm kind of balking at the mere concept of thirty games for sixty dollars being too expensive for anyone when every game in there is great
  • It's not that it's a bad value proposition, $60 is just a lot of money.
  • Jane said:

It's not that it's a bad value proposition, $60 is just a lot of money.

Well, like, yeah? I guess? I don't really see the complaint when there are numerous other avenues to play these games anyway

• The value to me of a game I won't play is not much different from $0.
  • Like, you can either pay ~5$ for any of these individual games, 5-50$ for the carts, or you can just emulate them like damn near everyone else does

It just seems remarkably weird to complain about any individual sixty dollar thing when sixty dollar things are the norm in this medium
  • Dude I did not fucking shoot your cat can you please calm down.
    I almost included something mentioning that very thing, before editing it out because I considered it not worth stating. It is, but I am still bothered by it, and this is no exception? Just that really.
  • edit: nevermind I'm just going to go somewhere else for a while
  • I... didn't think you were? I was just kind of legitimately confused why everyone seemed to take this thing being ludicrously overpriced as a given when it really didn't seem that way to me
  • edited 2016-07-14 19:07:22
    Jeez tone in online discussions is fucking weird
  • Kexruct said:

Jeez tone in online discussions is fucking weird

so much this
  • also people think less about incremental costs than they do about a sudden bulk cost

t. human psychology
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-14 19:16:54
    Kexruct said:

Like honestly I'm kind of balking at the mere concept of thirty games for sixty dollars being too expensive for anyone when every game in there is great

Have you seen Steam sales?  Turns out digital makes things really cheap.  Especially super-old games that, let's be honest, were largely not that good to begin with and half of which come as free extras in other more modern games.  You're most likely paying for the novelty box.

Like, they defined our childhoods, but I've played some of those lately.  With a very few exceptions on that list, they did not age well.
  • edited 2016-07-14 19:18:08
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

also people think less about incremental costs than they do about a sudden bulk cost

t. human psychology

Well, there's kinda a significant difference between those two things.
  • I'm sorry, I am evidently not in a state where I should be talking about things on the internet right now.

I apologize, and I will go do things that are not that for a while.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Emulation aside, these retro consoles have been around in one form or another for years, and if you're willing to live without the NES replica (or those specific games), you can find halfway-decent ones used for cheap.
    You know what's a good NES game

Little Nemo
  • This thing is significantly different in form, function, and audience than Steam sales

Also Steam sales are different because 1. They're temporary 2. As consumer friendly as they may be if you have self control, fact of the matter is that they're as cheap as they are as a tactic to get people to buy a million games they don't need
  • edited 2016-07-14 19:24:59
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Good NES games:

Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Final Fantasy 2
    Hook
    Spelunker
  • Kexruct said:

they're as cheap as they are as a tactic to get people to buy a million games they don't need

And how many of those 30 games would you actually bother playing for than a few minutes?
  • Probably most of them? In addition to me loving gimmicky shit like this, I love most of those games.
  • http://lifehacker.com/build-your-own-mini-nes-with-a-raspberry-pi-and-this-3d-1783674650

for those that liked the idea but wanted something more substantial, here you go