General Video Game Thread

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

@Tachyo, what games are there that do the first thing yiu said -- have paths based on political ideologies -- and don't do then handhandedly?

let's not even get to the "do the opposite" part yet

i can't think of any that did it perfectly.

But, i haven't played many open world RPG type games.
  • to be fair he's probably the best person around at Hegel
  • I really shouldn't be surprised that fangirls want to screw the wolf dude, and yet here I am.

It always did bug me that your gender had no bearing on quests involving Caesar's Legion. I mean, it's a plot point with one of the faction quests that the Legion doesn't let their women fight. Considering that the average courier has 6 different guns on them at any given time, it would make more sense if they took issue with that.
  • also I guess since I'm in the general video game thread, I could post about video games I've actually played

I don't think I ever mentioned on here that I've been playing it but I just got to the second level in gungeon for the first time and that felt hella good for ten seconds until I died

Bit of a late reply, but

For what it's worth, I do feel like the bosses for the second Gungeon level are a lot less difficult to deal with than some of the first level ones (i.e. Gatling Gull). So once you get a feel for the new enemies, you should be able to get through to the third level fairly easily
  • Also, New Vegas DLC is, just, miles ahead of Fallout 3 DLC. 

I'm still angry about how stupid the plot of The Pitt was.
    New Vegas's DLC might have been the best part. Like I said, I loved Lonesome Road, but besides that Dead Money was really tightly designed and written, and Old World Blues was just mad science fun (with a pretty clever plot twist, too). Honest Hearts wasn't on the same tier, but it had its moments. It's the only time I've seen religious syncretism come up in a video game, for one thing.
  • also I guess since I'm in the general video game thread, I could post about video games I've actually played

I don't think I ever mentioned on here that I've been playing it but I just got to the second level in gungeon for the first time and that felt hella good for ten seconds until I died

Bit of a late reply, but

For what it's worth, I do feel like the bosses for the second Gungeon level are a lot less difficult to deal with than some of the first level ones (i.e. Gatling Gull). So once you get a feel for the new enemies, you should be able to get through to the third level fairly easily
    I have to get to the second level again first...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

I really shouldn't be surprised that fangirls want to screw the wolf dude, and yet here I am.

...wolf dude?
  • I still think that Dead Money was a little bit too scripted and that they were a bit too afraid to properly implement it with the regular game (as opposed to OWB and LR), but yeah, it was pretty well written.

I'm a bit more forgiving towards Honest Hearts now than when I first played it. I mean, for one thing, it did the 'ethically ambiguous' choice much, much better than the Pitt did.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

I really shouldn't be surprised that fangirls want to screw the wolf dude, and yet here I am.

...wolf dude?
  • he is disappoitingly unfurry
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Ah. I was poking around the wiki out of puzzlement and assumed it was that guy.

Being a psychopathic master of disguise with a fox/wolf motif is certainly something I can see being attractive to certain fangirls.
  • Caesar's Legion does this thing where high-ranking members are required by law to be furries.

One can only assume that someone wrote yifffic in the margins of a history book

Bit of a late reply, but

You'll get it. Just keep practicing your dodge roll and, you know, hope you don't get Gatling Gull.
  • edited 2016-06-16 04:13:31
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The fox thing is very old European/Roman and has ties with certain rather sinister legends, which, again, suits a fascist spy who the game literally tells you is "Very Evil."

Bit of a late reply, but

You'll get it. Just keep practicing your dodge roll and, you know, hope you don't get Gatling Gull.
    Is Gatling Gull supposed to be the hardest? I feel like I come close to beating him more often than the others (though it was Bullet King the time I actually succeeded).
  • I still think that Dead Money was a little bit too scripted and that they were a bit too afraid to properly implement it with the regular game (as opposed to OWB and LR), but yeah, it was pretty well written.

I feel like both of those things (being heavily scripted and not integrated with the rest of the game) are actually among Dead Money's strengths. Or more accurately, necessary weaknesses to make the kind of gameplay experience they were going for, which also dovetails incredibly well with the story they were telling. Both the story and the gameplay of Dead Money are about paranoia, confinement, scarcity/richness, people using each other, etc. And the effect would be severely diminished if you could just travel back and forth between the Sierra Madre and the Mojave, or bring your trusted companions with you, or all your accumulated gear.

OWB is a lot more freewheeling, light-hearted and exploration-based, so besides being super convenient, it makes sense you could travel back and forth at will. LR...Ulysses is pretty explicit about just sitting around waiting for you to come to him, so it's understandable you can go back and forth, but I think the main reason is that it's so close to the starting area that it's really easy to go there without being in any way prepared for deathclaws everywhere, all the time.

Relatedly, even though Dead Money came out first, I feel like playing OWB first would be a lot more satisfying just because you have a chance to get all that backstory on Christine and Elijah before meeting them. (Plus OWB is a lot less punishing and the free perks would probably make a huge difference in surviving DM.)
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

I NEVER WANT TO SEE ANOTHER GEOMANCER AGAIN.
  • ^^^ He's the one that I find the least difficult, but, you know. Different strokes. I do find that Bullet King is the easiest though. I think both of the times that I got through the boss battle without taking a hit, it was against him

^^ I agree with not being able to bring anything with you to the Sierra Madre. Getting kidnapped and having to start over from scratch definitely works for what they're trying to do. I just think that, once you've finished Dead Money, you should be able to go back there and scavenge for stuff.

I don't know about you, but I played my Courier as the sort of guy who takes advantage of any opportunity to increase his resources. He'd definitely strip the place of anything useful and probably tinker a bit with the hologram stuff before giving the place over to Christine.. 

And for that matter, they never give you an option to tell Ronnie that her girlfriend's alive, do they?
  • And for that matter, they never give you an option to tell Ronnie that her girlfriend's alive, do they?
    No. :( Or at least, I'm pretty sure they don't because on my first playthrough (the only one I played DM in) I massacred the BoS and didn't actually meet Veronica until way later, at which point she wasn't feeling very talkative.
  • See, minor things like that would stop me from rating Dead Money below Old World Blues and Lonesome Road.

Also, now that I think about it, Veronica's sidequest could have gotten better writing as well. You should totally be able to keep her as a companion if you blow up the BoS in retaliation for them murdering the Followers of the Apocalypse. If not by default, then with a few Charisma checks or something. First mod I downloaded was one that fixed that.
  • edited 2016-06-16 05:48:31
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Eh, it's understandable that there's no way to get her on your side after killing her entire community, even if you had your reasons.

On the other hand, in my second playthrough ("Rose Lalonde Beats Everything To Death in power armor" as opposed to "Jade Harley Saves The Day with the power of politeness, science and also guns") Veronica's sheer giddiness at getting a dress was just delightful. Felicia Day is so great.
  • Well I did manage to get to the second floor again in Gungeon. This time it was Gatling Gull I beat, mostly because I had the good fortune to fight him in a room with multiple sources of indestructible cover. I've never seen that in a boss fight before.

Anyway I managed to explore the second level a bit and then died to a boss at the end so that's improvement I guess.

I don't know, I kinda like this game but also I kinda hate this kind of game. Even though I did better this time I immediately felt like closing the game when I died because I don't want to play the first level a dozen more times before anything interesting happens.
  • Been watching/reading a lot about Mass Effect lately, and now I'm getting miffed again over the aliens and gender all over again.

The Asari still make no bloody sense, and neither does the general lack of females for any other race.
  • edited 2016-06-18 12:47:59
    I don't mind the asari because it's just... vaguely juvenile but well written enough soft scifi gobbledegook that functions within the context of the universe, but there's no valid reason for the almost complete lack of female... anything but humans and quarians.
  • The salarians and krogan had a reason -- krogans had a really understandable albeit horrible reason given their situation.  You eventually saw female turians, and I suspect the lack of them in the first game was for production time.
  • edited 2016-06-18 17:53:40
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    There was that cut line in the first one that implied male and female turians were just indistinguishable to humans, and I think that made more sense than female turians being DLC-only.

Admittedly, the Cabal Vanguard owned.
  • I thought that was the same person who did this but now that I've actually found that comic again they're clearly two different art styles.
    Yeah, Setz is mostly known for his Touhou comics, although a lot of his early stuff is in Finnish since he's, well, a Finn.
  • ^^ I spent a good minute just spinning the map thingy 
  • ^ That's Irem from Sunless Sea, my favorite place in the game. Sure, there's a giant hydra, but it just wants you to give it coffee in exchange for nice dreams which heal you and reduce your terror. (Also, it doesn't technically exist yet. But when it does, it will always have.)
  • Going off of what Haven said, it's rather silly to apply sexual dimorphism, especially human standards of sexual dimorphism, to the universe at large. There is no reason why any of the aliens have to have secondary sexual characteristics that correspond to human ones -- including quarians and asari, for that matter (do we ever get an explanation for why they have breasts? Are milk-drinkers just naturally inclined for space travel?)
  • Oh, I agree, but that's a problem muuuuch larger than Mass Effect
  • doesn't even pokémon do a better job at this?

just introduce some sort of sexual dimorphism, which varies by species, some a lot some only a little
  • I am a bit more harsh on ME than I would be on, say, Star Trek because it's generally good with species being sufficiently alien. The elcor and the hanar especially are pretty creative ideas (which none of the sequels would properly take advantage of, but OH WELL). That just makes the areas where it does screw up even more annoying.
  • Yeah I mean Star Trek's female aliens were usually there to slake Kirk's carnal thirsts.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    in the original series, anyway
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-19 18:48:55
    ^ I feel like this is a joke I don't know.  Spoiler?

I'm playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, and it's the third such game to make me a Totodile.  I'm totally okay with this -- Totodile's got a kickass moveset for these games and the main character being able to walk on water is awesome -- but it does mean I run around with this really dopey :V face and hold out my arms like I'm carrying invisible luggage all the time.
    That's Hyun-Ae from Analogue: A Hate Story, a VN by Christine Love. Her tongue was cut out by her adoptive parents to prevent her from speaking out.

well then
  • Overwatch is a Good Thing and I Enjoyed the brief amount of time I spent with it

My brother made me fill in for him and I got 12 kills as Hanzo without having touched the game at all prior

I was surprised, I didn't think I was going to be any good at it
  • I actually just got Overwatch (related, did you know Gamestop is doing that thing where they give a huge amount of extra store credit for trading things in? if that's your jam you should do it this week) and I'm really excited about it after watching all the promos and reading all the comics and everything.

There's at least one character in each role I really want to play, so I think I'm gonna have a good time.

...of course, right now it's just downloading.
  • Between Blizzard's own marketing and Nerf Now!!'s focus on the game lately, I'm getting sorely tempted to break my policy of never buying a game unless I can get it on sale or until it's been out a while and the price goes down and splurge for Overwatch.

(Still waiting for Arkham Knight to become cheaper or for them to release a bundle with all the DLC, by the way. From what I've heard, I no longer have to worry about it being shit on my PC now.)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • So far it's a lot of fun, although the one time I tried to play with friends I lagged out and couldn't even log back in. Checking twitter, it appears to have crashed battle.net for everyone..

...I think the universe just doesn't want me doing stuff with friends.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I've been playing the new Wolfenstein and it's a lot of fun, but I feel like there are a few too many bullet sponge enemies that it's hard to tell if you are doing damage to.

It's very much a nitpick in a great game though.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    LIMBO is free on Steam until June 22nd 10 AM PT.
  • Thanks for the heads-up!