The Powerpuff Girls

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This is looking worse and worse by the day
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    sadly, yes
  • we hold to our fractured hopes of decency, but nonetheless, they falter
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    this show feels like what CN shat out when they tried to answer the question "what is a modern Cartoon Network series like"

this is much nicer to look at than the actual footage but the re-animation just highlights how fucking awful the dialogue and characterization are
  • I dunno if it's really fair to judge it for those just yet, it is only 45 seconds of a cut down version of the scene in question

though, yes, I do agree that it's more visually satisfying (largely because it's more dynamic and uniform in the character design styles, PPG excepted)
  • edited 2016-03-10 01:35:52

this

people on the internet say things are painful all the time

but seeing these side by side? this hurts
    i do like how reanimator's BG looks like it came from a Little Golden Book
  • so has the show actually premiered yet???
    no

they've set April 4 for it, I think
  • k.

I dunno. I feel like people are looking for reasons to hate it.

When it actually comes out, if it's terrible, then whatever, but everything we've seen so far is pre-release material.
    i am so un-hype for it it's going to be garbage
  • ok well if it comes out and is garbage you get

I dunno

the satisfaction of being correct, I guess.
    I'm not looking for reasons to hate it, I find it legitimately unappealing

The recasting of the Powerpuffs was unnecessary, the show's aesthetic is three or four others thrown into a blender (which they didn't even turn on either), the writing seems watered down and bland...
  • You are basing all of this off of a clip that is less than a minute long, yes?
  • edited 2016-03-10 01:50:23
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Several clips!

• meh.

I still think it's better to just wait until the first episode at the very least actually airs.

A lot of the pre-release stuff for SU made it look pretty bad too.
    When that show was new I honestly thought it was going to be an exercise in executive thinking, the promos made Steven look like some sort of butt monkey (which he never was, thank god)
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    I'm wondering if the Powerpuff Girls are older in this show. That clip of them at lunch looks like it takes place at a high school, but they still look like little girls. It would make sense for them to get older but not actually age visibly, and would also explain some personality changes. 
    I refuse to nerd rage about the new incarnation for now so have this:

no source I can find
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-powerpuff-girls-20160401-story.html

i might have to actually watch this show now to see if this article holds true
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • have you not seen people on tumblr laughing about how badly they fucked this up or

have you not seen people on tumblr laughing about how badly they fucked this up or
    I saw a little, but nobody actually gave details, so I just wrote it off as Tumblr being unpleasable.

That bad, eh?
    centie watched some of this

now i do too
    Ok, the girls going on a candy bender in episode 3 was pretty funny to me

It still doesn't feel quite like classic PPG humor, but it's something
    They were literally addicted to candy in "Candy Is Dandy" so that would make sense...
    Do you remember the time you and me and Eric and Edlyn watched a Calamity Coyote short, and we were talking about how it kinda fell flat? I said "this is funny enough, but it's not funny in a Looney Tunes way."

That's kinda how I feel about this show. It's funny, at least funny enough to keep me watching, but it doesn't feel funny in the way I tend to expect from PPG.

*shrug*

It wasn't even that funny...it was awkward
  • edited 2016-04-14 14:54:41
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The comic timing on that short was so painful, and not in a good way.
    Why do people keep calling the new series a "reboot"?

Maybe I've been getting the semantics wrong this whole time, but I figured "revival" would be a more appropriate term. "Reboot", in my mind, implies that the continuity has basically been restarted, and that everything from the previous works "didn't happen", which clearly isn't what they're going for.
  • Perhaps it's the whole 'different crew and cast' situation, which theoretically would make sense.

Whatever terminology one chooses, it is pretty much the same basic idea.
    Incidentally Tom Kane is one of the cast members who did return, but now that like 20 years have gone by, Professor Utonium sounds way older.
    Seeing people shit on the new voice actresses online angers me

It's not like it was the actresses' choice to recast the roles

And the voice acting is probably one of the better aspects of the show
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    the recasting is a much touchier subject than i would have expected it to be, although hearing context from AU helped me understand why people got so mad

i think 'reboot' might just be a case of lazy terminology, similar to how the originally specialized terms 'cover' and 'remix' have gotten diluted by inaccurate or mistaken usage ('remix' endures within the industry, but the battle for 'cover' is long since over and the pedants have lost)
  • Has anyone else noted that HIM got Villain Decayed as the series went on? I mean, we had Octi Evil and Tough Love, which were some of the most terrifying episodes of Season 1, and Speed Demon, which was hands-down the scariest and most disturbing episode in the series. Power-Noia was the last one where he was really allowed to scare the shit out of the viewers, and even then that was kind of eh seeing as he unambiguously lost in that one. 

I noticed that his laugh changes as the seasons go on, too. In his first appearance it was a dark, disturbing laugh, then it turned into a high-pitched but still otherworldly and nightmarish cackle. 
    the early Him never would have cried with Mojo Jojo, would he
  • No, but he would have done pilates.

and lest we forget mama's sickening shoe game
  • Tre said:

That scene was actually...kind of creepy? It showed that the way he moved was...different. Fluid. That and the reverb scared the shit out of me as a kid.
    Of the new voices, Blossom sounds the most like her original series equivalent.

Bubbles and Buttercup's voices fit the characters but they don't sound much like the original series voices.
  • Yeah the new voices are OK. It's the script that really blows.
    I feel like the new actresses understand what makes PPG PPG better than the writers do, which is kinda sad.

The weird thing is that it's not really a bad show. If it existed on its own, I could see myself totally watching and enjoying it. But...as a follow-up to the original PPG it doesn't really do the franchise justice.
  • I'm not as pissed about it as I let on. You should see some of the really crappy McCracken episodes.

It's just...the original PPG varied from really fun to really bad, while this is either mediocre or bad.