The Powerpuff Girls

edited 2012-06-17 02:52:20 in General Media
I...don't actually have an OP for this thread, embarrassingly. So have a pretty picture instead. This is Craig McCracken's first drawing of the Whoopass Girls:

...so yeah. Cartoons!

Comments

• The sadness will last forever.
    I miss this show so much!
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And apparently you can't stream it anywhere because TBS are bitches. :P Oh well, the season sets are cheap.
  • It's a bit weird knowing I was 7 when the show first came out, A lot in animation has changed since then - cartoons from the 90s like PPG were farmed out to Chinese/Korean animators, since Flash wasn't around to make American animation viable again.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's interesting, because 1998 doesn't seem like all that long ago, but when you compare its animation to today's animation there really is a huge difference.

I don't doubt that if PPG came out today, it would be Flash-animated.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I understand some of the last seasons of PPG were indeed Flash.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm wondering...does that late-'90s thick-line style work better in traditional animation or in Flash?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lumine said:

I liked this show a lot. :]

How about the movie of it then :p
  • Seriously, first Ponies now this?  I'm going to go get the engine going in the car and lock myself in the garage.  I'll see you all in the next life.
  • edited 2012-06-17 15:34:38
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-06-17 16:17:17
    :|
    He has fantasies of being tied to a rock with wire while being spanked with a ruler.
  • Seriously, first Ponies now this?  I'm going to go get the engine going in the car and lock myself in the garage.  I'll see you all in the next life.

You're going to be reincarnated as a pony, I guarantee it.

• inkblot said:

He has fantasies of being tied to a rock with wire while being spanked with a ruler.

• I'm not sure how to fit gloryholes in there.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    This thread stopped making sense
  • edited 2012-06-17 17:37:42
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Anyone read Bleedman's stuff?

I still find it entertaining, though Grim Tales has probably gotten a little too convoluted and incestuous for it's own good.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Seriously, first Ponies now this?  I'm going to go get the engine going in the car and lock myself in the garage.  I'll see you all in the next life.

MLP hate I understand since the franchise is quite stereotypically "girly" and very commercial, but what's wrong with The Powerpuff Girls?
    PPG never struck me as all that "girly". Or rather, it seemed that all of PPG's "girliness" was part of the joke.

Unrelatedly: Princess is hilarious.
    Why am I still watching this show?

Also, the ending to "Him Diddle Riddle" is hilarious, even if it does kinda cheapen everything that happened up to that point.
  • Him creeped me out as a child. I think he still does, a little bit.

Him is fucking terrifying.
    • I remember, upon hearing about Bleedman, that I thought that he had the best pseudonym ever. Of all time.

Never got around to his fancomic about Grim's son.

"Never got around to his fancomic about Grim's son."

It's strange, but entertaining I suppose...if you're not too weirded out by incest...

Although apparently I already posted that months ago...

The one that's mostly a PP/Dexter's Lab focus dosen't have nearly the amount of hang-ups of Grim Tales, however.
      I'm watching this show again

I wish it were still running, because I wonder what this show's fandom was like

What their favorite in-jokes were, what their dumbest gripes were, what the most popular fanon was...

I'm not thrilled with that art style, but I have to give it a shot anyway because I love me some PPG...
    • *powder

/thread

^^ Uh...not thrilled with the art style either. Before everything was stylized to the point where you didn't rally care how bizarre the proportions where because of how cartony everything was, but this is making it stick out like a sore thumb.
      It looks like it's supposed to evoke paper cutout animation but it looks just a bit too "computery" for the effect to work for me...

^ Same here. The aspect of making the characters look 3D is probably much to their detriment unless they where going to change designs slightly on the PPG themselves.

When they're flying they pretty much just look like giant heads with bodies just dangling beneath them, and it's very strange.

New video game!

Looks cool to me. It even has both art styles!
    • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
      :O
    • "Well, we put sugar, spice, and everything nice into the game, now to get programmers and artists to draw assets" >.>
    • edited 2014-03-07 14:42:51
      The art style is what a fan artist on Tumblr would come up with. It's just a bit too subdued for 3 asskicking superpowered little girls, and especially for the villains.

At least you can choose the old style in the game.

The bit about Cartoon Network making them delay the game until the "classic" sprites were included makes me suspect that some people at CN aren't exactly fond of the new style, either...
      I'm bored, so here's at least two '60s cartoon references no one caught:

Bubbles's rhyming catchphrase attempts in "Super Zeroes" reference Underdog, and in "Candy is Dandy," the Powerpuffs react to their first taste of candy in a manner similar to Snuffles and his dog biscuits in Quick Draw McGraw.
      Cute.
      http://hanna-barbera-land.tumblr.com/post/106750657873/cats-resembling-top-cat-and-his-gang-appear-in

it's always good when they pour one out for classic H-B (though this was in an era before it got buried), but this was a missed opportunity to include Mr. Jinks
      I always liked how the Gangreen Gang was like Fat Albert meets Big Daddy Roth
    • Like I said. Him scared the fucking shit out of me when I was a kid.

It's sad that he was the closest thing mainstream television had to LGBT rep in the 2000s