The Powerpuff Girls

Comments

• edited 2015-01-10 23:34:38
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Acererak said:

Like I said. Him scared the fucking shit out of me when I was a kid.

It's sad that he was the closest thing mainstream television had to LGBT rep in the 2000s

There was Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but it's either been totally forgotten by now or didn't make it to the Philippines

I think contemporary reaction to it was that it was progress of a sort, despite leaning on a stereotype
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

The Mime episode is still a terrible mess at the ending

Pretty sure that was 100% deliberate.
    Anonus said:

Acererak said:

Like I said. Him scared the fucking shit out of me when I was a kid.

It's sad that he was the closest thing mainstream television had to LGBT rep in the 2000s

There was Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, but it's either been totally forgotten by now or didn't make it to the Philippines

I think contemporary reaction to it was that it was progress of a sort, despite leaning on a stereotype
    idk about what aired in the Philippines but without that qualifier that's not true at all... during the 2000s there were LGBT characters and themes in a whole bunch of shows, not always positive, but usually a lot more overt than Him... if series with LGBT-related premises like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, The L Word, Queer as Folk and Sugar Rush are disqualified by the 'mainstream' qualifier, there was still Buffy, EastEnders, Emmerdale, Skins, Torchwood, Coronation Street, All My Children, Ugly Betty, Glee, Hollyoaks, Home and Away, and of course Ellen.

If we're talking children's TV i think Him *might* be the closest thing to an LGBT-related character in American TV at that time?  But in the UK Byker Grove ran throughout the first part of the decade with a gay recurring character, and Doctor Who introduced a bisexual recurring character in 2005.

i don't mean to suggest that LGBT representation during the 2000s was equal or unproblematic, but i believe there were actually an unprecedented amount of LGBT representations on mainstream television at the time.
    That was meant to be a reply to Acererak, not Anonus, sorry... i'm saying it was untrue that Him was the closest to LGBT representation in mainstream TV during that decade, not that Queer Eye for a Straight Guy wasn't regarded as progress.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    it was the only thing I could think of at the moment

There was an American version of Queer as Folk, it aired on Showtime here and always seems to have been kind of under-the-radar (Showtime's a premium service like HBO is but has never had the same cachet)
  • edited 2015-01-11 00:25:27
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Sorry about that.  i wasn't meaning to reply to you (see my above ninja post).  Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is actually a better example than a lot of the things i listed.

i was thinking of the UK Queer as Folk... wasn't aware there was a US version.
  • edited 2015-01-11 00:39:13
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I know this is really obvious, but Orange is the New Black is a pretty good example too.
  • edited 2015-01-11 00:41:15
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    That only came out the year before last, unless you're referring to an older show with the same title.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Nah, I'm not.

Sorry about the confusion.
    Ah, that's OK.  Acererak specifically said representation during the 2000s, though.
  • Why'd the Philippines get brought up
  • also yeah

I forgot about those
    ^^Don't you live there? Or am I mistaken?
  • I used to, but not anymore. I use a Philippine proxy to bypass my school-block

Holé?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    is there a name for that sort of art style
    Graphic modern, I think
    PPG uses it in deliberate reference to the old Hanna-Barbera cartoons whose take on it was much less geometric

PPG was a Hanna-Barbera production itself - lasting long enough to make the jump to Cartoon Network Studios

is it me or is this woman's hairstyle a synthesis of several H-B women's (most obviously Wilma Flintstone and Jane Jetson)
  • I think it's just a pretty typical cartoon hairstyle dude
  • Don't ruin her fun
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    I'm more concerned with the fact that someone carved a Sigma into that poor man's face
  • I mistook him for Central Avenue
    woah

it's a while since that last happened, isn't it?

I think it's just a pretty typical cartoon hairstyle dude

all trends and conventions had to start somewhere, though

talking to Anonus about this stuff has made me think a lot more about where various things i took for granted as 'stuff that happens in cartoons' came from originally

I think it's just a pretty typical cartoon hairstyle dude

You can't put anything past this show's crewmembers

I mean they've snuck in references to '60s cartoons that most of their juvenile audience can't have gotten
    It's also a design element
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think AU's point is that old Hanna-Barbera cartoons are where the "typical cartoon hairstyle" came from.
    it's not even a 'typical cartoon hairstyle', the H-B style is very distinctive

you don't see hair like that in every series
    I am extremely not hype for the new version of PPG
  • Yeah, they've started some of the promotion for it and, um.

Can't say it's DOA at all, but my hopes are not high for a reason. (That reason being that neither Craig, Lauren nor Genndy appear to be returning, which, eeeeeehhhhhh)
    or Rob Renzetti, or Amy Keating Rogers, or anyone who appeared to make the show what it was
    If nothing else, I've anticipated this show simply because I am curious to see what CN's idea of one of their own modern shows is.

this does not bode well to me
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    nooooo
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    wtf
  • guys I'm not super hype for it either, but like

it's a still of a phone.
    i honestly don't get what the problem is?

would children these days even reliably recognize a desktop phone as such?
  • edited 2016-02-05 12:58:00
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yes. Contrary to popular belief, landlines are still a thing and most kids have probably seen enough movies to know what a stationary phone is even if they do not own one. If they live in the city, they are also likely to recognise payphones; a few probably even understand how a rotary dial works.
    hm

i'm aware landlines are still a thing, but even when i was a teenager, i remember some of my friends' homes didn't have one; they're certainly not as ubiquitous as they were when the original PPG came out

maybe i'm not giving children enough credit

still though, i don't see that a still depicting a more contemporary phone suggests anything about the quality of the series; the most important aspect is the humour, and this has nothing to do with that
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yes, this is true. I'm really not sure what the problem is.
    I dunno, it seems to suggest they're in the "we need to change this to appeal to today's kids" kinda mindset

And, well, they don't need to fix what isn't broken
    I'm not horribly hype for this series, but as long as the Mayor still has a landline, I don't see anything wrong with that phone.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i hope that's not a screen and it's just a block of plastic with that face
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    "it's a cartoon" shut up shut up SHUT UP
    Actually, I'd honestly like it if it was.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    CODE FOR THE CODE GOD 

PHP FOR THE PHP DAEMON