General TV thread

12346»

Comments

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Is the telly show "Revolution" worth watching?
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I dunno.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Hmmm..is it possible for a theme song to be scarier than a TV show's content?
  • Revolution is pretty much boring.

I have no idea of what I should or would be watching these days. Probably Breaking Bad but otherwise...yeah, throw recs at me, fine folks of the internet.
  • You shouldn't watch Breaking Bad because it's actually a subliminal hypnotism loop.
  • edited 2013-02-03 18:02:14
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Okay, just watched Being Human.

Spoiler:
    I think Being Human has jumped the shark because they now have the literal devil in it now

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It might be more helpful if you mentioned what show you're spoiling before people click on it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Watching more Three Kingdoms.

Got to see Zhuge Liang hand the entire compliment of the Wu bureaucracy their own asses, politically speaking. They pretty much just lined right up and took turns having their asses handed to them.

You'd think after Zhuge Liang gave the first guy a good five minutes to talk just so Zhuge Liang had that much more fuel to power is own political ass handing attack the other advisers and administrators would know well enough to sit in their damn chairs, but apparently each one decided "Oh hey, I think I have something really clever to say that won't end in me holding my own ass." And then they say that thing, and about a minute later they're in the corner cradling their own ass and whispering "don't worry ass, we'll get you attached again, somehow." 

Just a room full of dudes with hurt butts that have been severed from their backsides because they couldn't figure out to keep their mouths shut. 
  • Justice42 said:

Watching more Three Kingdoms.

Got to see Zhuge Liang hand the entire compliment of the Wu bureaucracy their own asses, politically speaking. They pretty much just lined right up and took turns having their asses handed to them.

You'd think after Zhuge Liang gave the first guy a good five minutes to talk just so Zhuge Liang had that much more fuel to power is own political ass handing attack the other advisers and administrators would know well enough to sit in their damn chairs, but apparently each one decided "Oh hey, I think I have something really clever to say that won't end in me holding my own ass." And then they say that thing, and about a minute later they're in the corner cradling their own ass and whispering "don't worry ass, we'll get you attached again, somehow." 

Just a room full of dudes with hurt butts that have been severed from their backsides because they couldn't figure out to keep their mouths shut. 
    You mean the part where Zhuge Liang is convincing Wu to go to war against Cao Cao?

Also, there's a TV show based on RoTK?
  • edited 2013-02-11 00:53:37
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Yes, and actually there are two.

the 1994 one is probably a little more balanced in how much time it spends with each kingdom, though the costumes are a little too gaudy by today's standards (though, I kind of wonder if this is accurate, I'm not sure how much restraint the ancient Chinese had when it came to color choices).

The 2010 one is a bit more tasteful with the colors and looks gorgeous pretty much all the time, but focuses rather heavily on Lei Bei and Cao Cao.

Both are huge, sporting over 80 45 minute episodes each. 

Truthfully, I've yet to watch either one fully. But they're both faithful if slightly abridged versions of the novel. 

That being said, you can't really claim either didn't try their damnedest to give a good representation of the novel.

I'm thinking I'll go back and finish the 1994 one once I've completed the 2010 one.

But if you're a fan of the book I'd suggest looking into either one.
  • edited 2013-02-11 00:57:55

Justice42 said:

Yes, and actually there are two.

the 1994 one is probably a little more balanced in how much time it spends with each kingdom, though the costumes are a little too gaudy by today's standards (though, I kind of wonder if this is accurate, I'm not sure how much restraint the ancient Chinese had when it came to color choices).

The 2010 one is a bit more tasteful with the colors and looks gorgeous pretty much all the time, but focuses rather heavily on Lei Bei and Cao Cao.

Both are huge, sporting over 80 45 minute episodes each. 

Truthfully, I've yet to watch either one fully. But they're both faithful if slightly abridged versions of the novel. 

That being said, you can't really claim either didn't try their damnedest to give a good representation of the novel.

I'm thinking I'll go back and finish the 1994 one once I've completed the 2010 one.

But if you're a fan of the book I'd suggest looking into either one.
    RoTK is my favorite book of all time, so I'm going to check out both of those. Thanks!

No problem.

There are also several other adaptions that focus more on certain times or specific people or are more loosely based on the story. I also think there's an anime adaption that's suppose to cover the entire plot and is like four or five seasons long.However,I haven't watched any of them 

The television series are definitely worth a look I think the 1994 version was the highest budget Chinese television drama of all time until the 2010 version came along and nabbed that honor. 
  • There's two anime series, of which I've seen neither.

Also, upon looking up media adaptations of RoTK, apparently the first Chinese film ever made was about the battle of Mount Dingjun, which is pretty cool. Though the only known print of it was lost in a fire in the 1940s, which is a damn shame.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    A lot of the great Chinese film epics of the silent and early sound era were lost during WWII, including one of the longest films ever made, The Burning of the Red Lotus Temple. It's really quite disheartening.

You cannot beat Zhunge Liang in a mind game off.

He is simply the best their is.
  • Started watching Three Kingdoms. I've only had time to watch one episode, but I'm really liking what I've seen. I'm kind of disappointed they skipped the Peach Garden Oath and the Yellow Turban Rebellion and went straight to Dong Zhuo, but other than that it's pretty great. The scene where Dong Zhuo sneezes and the whole Imperial Court flinches is a great mood and characterization establishing scene.

Also, dat opening theme.

The slightly older series has the Peach Garden Oath. One of my main complaints with this version is just how much focus there is on Cao-Cao. Still entertaining and a decent adaption, otherwise. 
  • Episode 14 of The Prisoner: Suddenly a western episode for some as of yet unexplained reason.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Twin Peaks is being revived, with Lynch directing all episodes.

This feels like a good excuse to get around to actually watching the original.
  • Twin Peaks is being revived, with Lynch directing all episodes.

Just saw this. Yeah, this gives me an excuse to watch the original too.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

what

sʍǝu pooƃ ʇoƃ ǝʌ,I
  • My dreams exceed my real life

what

sʍǝu pooƃ ʇoƃ ǝʌ,I
    ¡ǝlʎʇs uᴉ ʞɔɐq ǝɯoɔ oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ sᴉ ǝʞᴉl noʎ ɯnƃ ʇɐɥ┴

Twin Peaks is being revived, with Lynch directing all episodes.

Just saw this. Yeah, this gives me an excuse to watch the original too.
    And we're finally going to get an ending of sorts.

Colour me psyched as all get out.
    On a different note: The Good Wife is the best live-action TV thing that I have seen in a long time. I forgot how good it was. Excellent character writing. Very smart.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

On a different note: The Good Wife is the best live-action TV thing that I have seen in a long time. I forgot how good it was. Excellent character writing. Very smart.

yes

It's so great to see a legal show on TV that isn't full of jump scares (looking at you, L&O).
    Early Law and Order is interesting, but pretty much every incarnation of it has ceased to be remotely interesting in the last five years.
    Yeah. I stopped watching SVU because it was just nothing but cheap scares and "let's see how we can traumatize Olivia this week".
    Yeah. It was good popcorn fodder early on, but after a while... I appreciated them delving into the fact that Stabler was dangerously mentally unstable (accidental puns ahoy!), because even a sliver of realism is nice sometimes, but everything else just got intolerably annoying.
    I have the first two seasons on DVD, and I still haven't made it through them. I've just not made 'em a priority. The original L&O sill holds up even after 24 years, though the early episodes are quite a bit different from the later ones (closer to Hill Street Blues or another noir-ish cop show than what it eventually became).
    So, speaking of The Good Wife, I'm on the episode where Alicia's mother first shows up, and her conversation with Jackie... so much shade being thrown, it could take out the power grid.