General TV thread

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    goddammit am i the only person on earth who doesn't watch legend of korra

it's like homestuck all over again
  • I don't watch it... yet.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Couldn't catch the first ep, so I'll wait for the re-runs. So technically, I don't watch it.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I haven't seen it yet. Perhaps I should fix that this morning.

I watched a bit of the first episode of The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Got some sort of undeniably 80s cartoon elements. People talk way too fast, they explain plot points to each other as if the other person wouldn't have a clue what was going on if they weren't told, and the music certainly exposes what decade it's from.

Other than that, it was pretty entertaining and looks like there's a good story bring set up. I look forward to watching more. Hopefully I can get more in next time before baby and food making duties come calling.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The music in the US version is also totally different from the Japanese version, as I understand Saban had Shuki Levy re-score it.

I read that off the wiki. It wasn't "adventurous" enough. 

It's not grating, though. Just very reminiscent of a specific time.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, it's very, very early 1980s.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    goddammit am i the only person on earth who doesn't watch legend of korra
    Lol no, I don't watch it either or MLP and I don't read homestruck so I wonder why I am on this forum sometimes :p

• edited 2012-05-20 08:59:00
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I despise MLP and don't care about Homestuck, but I watch Korra. What does that make me?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I don't like Homestuck.
  • edited 2012-05-20 09:10:05
  • edited 2012-05-20 09:16:53
    I tried reading Homestuck. It barely tries to suck you in with the mildly humorous beginning, when there's apparently a big mystical plot going on... about a thousand comics in. There's simply too much boring, mildly surreal stuff to wade through before you get to the good parts, which frequently pisses me off about several works.

MLP has some things going for it, like the team that gave us Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, but whatever clips I've seen of it make me want to give myself a frontal lobotomy and possibly gouge out my eardrums because of how insufferably annoying everything is. Lauren Faust leaving the show halfway through was also reason enough to never touch it again.
  • edited 2012-05-20 09:14:07
    I gotta agree with W here about Homestuck.
  • edited 2012-05-20 09:18:13
    Are you mocking me?
    By the way, I did read Homestuck and couldn't get into it.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I don't watch Legend of Korra.  Probably won't unless I somehow catch up with Avatar which probably won't be happening any time soon.  Not going to hate on it though because that would be dumb.

>I tried reading Homestuck. It barely tries to suck you in with the mildly humorous beginning

I have a theory of sorts about this; Hussie doesn't try to suck you in at all.  At that point all he was really doing was taking amusing instructions people submitted to him and drawing the consequences.

You read it if you're interested, you don't if you don't.  MSPA don't really bother with traditional storytelling, they just throw a bunch of weirdness at you like guns that are keys or weird inventory management systems, and you read because it's entertaining the way it is.  Or you don't because it isn't.  I think it is, I have no problem with you if you don't.

To be honest I thought the very start of Homestuck kinda sucked, but I got into it after a few pages, once it was apparent it had more going for it than toilet humour.  John is amusing and Hussie's writing style is entertaining, and that was enough.  It got more awesome later but I don't think it would have worked so well without the build up anyway.
  • This show is the same as Homestuck and MLP in the sense that, since it has a lot of fans and people like to talk about it, you are cool and unique if you talk about how you hate it like a zomg totally rad hipster even if you have never actually watched it once. Ok. squid knows how it is. You don't need to tell squid. :3

Because there is clearly no other reason or reasons you could possibly not like Homestuck, MLP, or whatever else.

I kind of hate how, if you don't like a popular show/whatever, it's automatically assumed to be because you're trying to be cool. 

I don't like Homestuck because I hate how Hussie writes and the art is terrible.

I don't like MLP because I don't have cable and can't watch it.

I don't like Legend of Korra because again, I don't have cable and can't watch it.

And before you suggest, I don't care enough about either of those things to try pirating them, and my computer has limited space to hold things like that on, anyway.

Not liking something is not the same as hating to its core. I tried to get into Homestuck a long time ago and was mostly indifferent to it until it became the cool thing to try to shove down everyone else's throats. Now I hate it because I'm constantly assumed to be some raging hipster because I don't like it, making it totally impossible for anyone to have a half-intelligent conversation about the thing with me. It can never be just "I don't find it all that funny", it's always "I hate it so therefore IT'S TEH WORSTEST THING EVAR". So you can be strawmanned and have your opinions ignored.

Yes I find the memes and such annoying, but not half as annoying as the constant "well you'd like it if you just....." no, I don't like it, and I won't like it if I just whatever. 

Now, there is far less annoying Homestuckery here than there is on TVTropes and elsewhere. But comments like that annoy me, I'm sorry.

That's not what squid said though.

Not that I actually have a problem with people criticising or just not watching either of those, mind.
  • Fouria G said:

That is exactly what squid said. How are you reading it?

I'm sorry for the rant, but seriously.

• Homestuck is not for everyone. It appeals to who it appeals to, and it repulses everyone else. There is nothing wrong with that.
  • Precisely.

I have no problems with people liking what I don't like, I have plenty of problems with people insisting I should like what they like.

• It appeals to a very, very small group of people though. Mostly hipster girls on tumblr and weird cosplayers.
  • edited 2012-05-20 13:03:57
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Fouria G said:

That is exactly what squid said. How are you reading it?

I'm sorry for the rant, but seriously.

...maybe that was what squid meant, idk.  We'll have to wait for squid to comment, I suppose.  I just didn't take that post as meaning that you have to like either of those, but I guess I can see how it could be read that way.

I haven't really seen it here to be honest but on some sites you get a lot of people acting almost persecuted because other people are talking about things they don't watch, which I do think is daft, because if you don't like them you can just talk about something else.  MLP in particular also seems to attract a lot of "lol kill the stupid horses" nonsense which tbh I find pretty obnoxious and kind of spiteful seeming.
  • I think the most "hateful" thing I have ever done regarding MLP is refer to it as a show about horses.

If that is somehow acting persecuted, than I suppose I act persecuted.

For the record I don't particularly think the amount of Homestuck/MLP/whatever talk here is out of line, I just don't like it when people are mocked as hipsters for not liking any combination of those.

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    If I may use a similar jumping-off point to a post in another thread, I think I know why arguments like these get so heated. It's very easy to get uncomfortable when you see an opinion about something that's the opposite of yours, especially if that something gets a lot of attention like Homestuck and MLP. If you see enough people with the opposite opinion of yours, you start to get the mistaken impression that having your own opinion is bad and wrong. This gets everyone's temper flared up, and it doesn't end well.

I'm not blaming anyone for having these feelings. I myself have had similar feelings about some of my favorite Pokémon. I just think this might be something to keep in mind when disagreements like this happen.
    ^^ ...but MLP is a show about horses. o_o;

I wasn't accusing you, Lazuli, I'm saying that's something I've seen a lot, and honestly if that's what's annoyed squid about it then I can understand that.  I'm aware that not everyone saying they dislike the show is like that.

^ Very good point.  I definitely know the feeling, although I don't think it's a reasonable reason to tell people not to discuss something (positively or negatively).
  • ...but MLP is a show about horses. o_o;

There are some who seem to find this fact extremely offensive.

No one here, mind you.

I wasn't accusing you, Lazuli

I know you weren't, but people have in the past, so I'm just explaining.

• edited 2012-05-20 13:18:03
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Fouria: If that's the impression I gave, sorry about that. I didn't mean that people shouldn't talk about their opinions at all. Just that we shouldn't lash out if we see someone who particularly disagrees with us.

To continue my Pokémon example, Lucario is one of my favorite Pokémon. However, on Pokémon fansites, I've seem several people whose opinions of Lucario are very similar to Lazuli's feelings toward Homestuck. It irritates me greatly to see these people complain about it, but if I were to discuss the subject with them, I know I shouldn't throw a temper tantrum over their opinions. I'd just keep it to polite disagreement. Does that sound better?
  • edited 2012-05-20 13:23:42
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @ Lazuli: Ah, right.  I understand.

@ Gator: No, I get what you mean, sorry.  And I agree, as well.  I found your post very insightful.
  • Lucario is brotier.

He singlehandedly swept Pryce's team after a Swords Dance.
    I liked Lucario because of Brawl.  I suspect this would make me unpopular on Pokémon fansites but fortunately I don't go on those because I'm not really into Pokémon anymore.
    In a twist, Brawl is the only place I don't like Lucario. Mostly because I wanted a 3rd Gen Pokemon(playable).

On the other hand, he was still an excellent choice. Can't overall disagree with it.

...Let's try not do derail close to entire pages or more of media threads to discus the merits of the latest internet fad or the people who don't participate/ don't like said fad, eh guys?
  • edited 2012-05-20 15:53:26
    Sorry, Justice. My bad.

Squid: I'd rather people didn't bash without trying, IMO. That's my view on it.

Anyway, was watching some Captain N on YouTube.

Sorry, Justice. My bad.

Actually, you had pretty much nothing to do with what I posted, you just happened to have the last post right before I posted.
    Justice42 said:

Actually, you had pretty much nothing to do with what I posted, you just happened to have the last post right before I posted.
    Well, you said about other media, which I talked about Brawl, other media, so I thought you might've meant me too. :P

Naw, that was a tad off topic, but I was aiming my comment at the "heated" argument, as ProfessorGator put it.

I don't expect people to keep on topic with every post, but that one went on for a bit long and I could see how some people would get upset.

Anyhow, I need to watch more Mysterious Cities of Gold and Korra, but I'm busy today. ._.

We could derail into Wang Fire again. That's always a hot topic.

Hehe. That's still one of my favorite memes...
    And he'd make a great dad for Zuko. :P