General TV thread

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I didn't think we were all that heated, but sorry for derailing, all the same.
  • edited 2012-05-20 17:28:36
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I'm sorry, too. I'm kind of the one who started us talking about Pokémon and Smash Bros. for a little bit there. I actually don't watch much TV, so I'm not sure what I could say to get us back on track.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    OK NOW, we're derailing the thread talking about the derail. :P

You guys are good. 

TV talk!

There is one in my house, it is large...

Funnily enough I haven't got my cable hooked up back to it properly since we moved it just use it for watching movies or shows off my laptop.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Well I don't have a TV so there. :p

My parents got a new one recently.  It's a Sony Bravia EX72 32.  I haven't seen it yet but I will over the summer.
  • edited 2012-05-21 00:36:45
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My mother has a 42" Panasonic plasma screen. It's about 2 and half years old now...and honestly, it's probably a good thing we don't have anything bigger because it would take up too much space in our new apartment.

In my room I just have a 20" CRT that I bought with a Kroger gift card. When Dad and I went to buy it a few years back, the anti-theft alarm went off as we left the store. The manager standing nearby took one glance at our cart--which had nothing but the TV in it--and said "yeah, I don't think they snuck that past the register."

Heh.

TV mostly being used to watch Korra right now because Korra continues to be mindbendingly good.
  • >mindbendingly

:|

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Have any of you guys seen a show called "the Walking Dead"?

I've just seen episode 2 of the new series and its bloody amazing

Friday has watched tons.

She likes it. I need to watch it because every time she tells me what is going on in it, I think about what happened in the comic and die a little inside.

Might be better if I saw it for myself and see if I can separate what happens in the two a bit better.
    I haven't read the comic so I don't know how different it is.

A great deal of the characters are the same, though events play out quite a bit differently.

Well, I assumed that much :p

I'm not sure how much I could talk about without spoiling this. 

A big difference seems to be that their are far more survivors and less zombies in the TV version.

Where the comic, pretty much everyone is a zombie save for a handful of survivors and all but very well defended city areas are overrun with zombies. 
    That hasn't happened yet in the show, the survivors are nomadic atm

There's a specific scene in a bar I'm thinking of that pretty much would never happen in the comic.
    Oh okay
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I only watched episode 1.
    Why is that?
    I just did.
  • I watched the first season and quit after the second season's first episode. I just realized that I really didn't care for any of these characters or what happened to them so I dropped like a drug addict drops high school.

Unfortunately, I haven't even WATCHED it and I sort of feel that way. :/ Hopefully watching it will change that.

Also, watched up through episode 3 of Mysterious Cities of Gold.

I've warmed up to it quite a bit.

I love the little documentary stuff at the end and how they don't pull any punches.

"These are the Aztecs. They gathered up the prettiest girls to brutally murder so the sun would rise."

"This is Columbus. He was an idiot who thought he fond India"

"This is the Strait of Magellan, it's where ships would go to crash into rocks and sink and Whales go to die." 

Anyone who enjoys a good documentary should track down "True Caribbean Pirates". It covers most the popular ones and their great careers of murder and debauchery. 
  • edited 2012-05-26 13:22:27
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Also, The Three Kingdoms continues to get better.

Highly advisable if someone wants to get into an epic Chinese drama and doesn't mind watching about 100 hour episodes to finish the story. 

QUINTUPLE POST!

Still enjoying Mysterious Cities of Gold. I'm thinking I should track down a few more cartoons from the 80s and see if there's more intelligently written cartoons from that decade (David the Gnome comes to mind).
  • I watched one of the episodes of 60s Spider-Man yesterday.

It was funny, looking at Spidey swinging across town just to get to a water tower he'd spun a web toward that couldn't have been more than a street's width away from him. Yay, limited animation.

To be fair, if I was Spider-man, I'd probably web-sling just to get to the corner store down the street. 
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    I still maintain that web-slinging would be the most useful power/gadget ever. Possibly the only thing that would be more convenient would be the Force.
  • I don't think of web-slinging as convenient-er than, say, Magneto's powers (You get to both move things and fly!)

Of course, web-slinging is ridiculously funner
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm watching the latest episode of Scorned: Love Kills, and...oh God, it's humping American Greed's leg. One of the subjects in this one is involved in the subprime mortgage crisis! :P

Also, this series is pretty much "Well, no one won, apparently" The Series. Everyone ends up dead or in jail. :P I know, it's a true crime show with "kill" in the title, but let someone live for once, dammit!
    Oooh, its the BAFTA TV awards tonight if anyone cares
  • So British Emmys?
    Are the Emmys the awards that people want to win, if yes then they are the "British Emmys"
  • So finally caught up with the Avengers cartoon and yeah it has not managed to let me down yet. Although it's treading dangerous ground now with the Secret Invasion plot they're going for, especially as it could lead to............................................................................CIVIL WAR
  • oh gawrsh

ANYTHING BUT CAP VS. TONY

PLEASE NO

I don't even watch the show that often but it would kind of ruin it.

Watching American Horror Story again. On my PS3.

Wow. Better late than never, I suppose.

So, rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender. And I was wondering something (spoiler from the end of season 1)

If killing the moon fish makes the moon disappear, would killing the ocean fish make the OCEAN disappear?! D:
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odd confession: I really liked How I Spent My Vacation back in the day.

There's a credits joke at the end that says "movies should not have 29 different plots at once" but for me that was one of the best things about it.
  • edited 2012-06-01 20:25:07
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Watching Nightmare Next Door, and wow, I don't think I've seen this much use of Gaussian Blur and Pixellate since mid-1990s MTV. :P It's a fucking crime show, guys, it's supposed to be creepy!

That and they don't just censor scary stuff, they censor every trademark anywhere (unless, of course, it's a product that's not likely to be advertising with them :P), and also censor practically anything that could possibly get Discovery Networks sued, even ADDRESSES ON PUBLIC BUILDINGS. It is incredibly obnoxious.
  • Justice...that would have been amazing. He kills the wrong fish and then his entire navy crashes into the ocean floor.
  • ANYTHING BUT CAP VS. TONY
    PLEASE NO
    I don't even watch the show that often but it would kind of ruin it.
    Pretty much. The show's supposed to be about comradery and silver age-like swashbuckly adventures. Although it really seems to be going into Secret Invasion territory, which is almost as dumb.
  • edited 2012-06-02 01:08:07
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oddly enough, this other show I'm watching doesn't have much of anything censored, I guess because it's all reenactments and survivor interviews. I wonder why some shows do it and others don't.

And yay, fucking murder-suicide in this eoisode. How depressing. :( I think I'm going to switch over to watching Phelous making fun of pointless movie deaths, rather than watch ID discussing real ones. :P
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I'm watching a Power Rangers Ninja Storm marathon.

I recorded all 17 hours of every episode. ...Well, I missed the first few minutes of the first, but caught enough to matter.
  • My brother would probably join you. And sing the theme song loudly despite not even knowing the words.

That's the nine-year-old brain for ya. He's watched a TON of Power Rangers over the past 2 months. Give him a few weeks and he'll have probably seen all the episodes. All of them.
    Heh. Good luck. Unless you got all the DVD's. XD
    Depends on what's on there. XD

Also, my god, the puns, the cheesiness... wow, just wow.
  • It has every season. All the seasons.

Well, all the American seasons. If you want Super Sentai you're gonna have to check elsewhere.