Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• Cream said:

*forced eyeroll*

heh

Your heh is insufficient

HEH
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • we're ignoring the important question here

WHY DID BUSH BRING DOWN THE TOWERS
  • The sadness will last forever.
    i dunno
  • because they were bigger than his dick
  • edited 2012-12-22 16:40:32
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    WHY DID BUSH BRING DOWN THE TOWERS
    Saruman insulted his mother.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know, the word "tumbler" always trips me up nowadays.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • this is why people hate tumblr

“No, see, this rare example that compares two entirely separate situations and goals completely proves that female oppression doesn’t exist at all.”
    Fuck you.
    No, really, fuck you.
    First off, let’s compare what these two things were about, since it’s pretty clear the author knows exactly what they’re doing with this to get the most amount of notes. Here’s the actual image from the Brian Banks kickstarter:
    The image that the author used is clearly trying to make this out to be something it isn’t. This isn’t some court fund or anything to have him exonerated. No, what actually happened is that the girl came forward to meet with Brian and, through the help of a private investigator, eventually lead to him being exonerated. No, this is not fucking “male oppression” or anything that fucking invalidates female oppression. What this is is the actions of a single individual ruining another person’s life.
    So let’s move on to Anita Sarkeesian, shall we? Because once again this completely misrepresents what happened. Here’s her Kickstarter.
    What Anita Sarkeesian ACTUALLY does isn’t “get paid for doing nothing.” What she does is analyse common tropes in media as they relate to women and gender relations. This isn’t over-analysis, it’s simply analysis that gets overlooked a lot of the time. It’s what she’s been doing for some time, and was a large part of her masters thesis. There’s nothing wrong with analysing the media we consume, especially when it tends to reflect commonly held views on society.
    Naturally, her plan to look at the representations of women in video games was met with death threats, rape threats, racism, personal attacks and a video game where the player got to beat up an image of her until the screen went red. So she used this. She pointed out the threats she got over what is a completely innocuous project to show just how much of a problem this is and how toxic the mindset in gamer culture is.
    So yeah, want to talk oppression? A woman was repeatedly threatened with death and rape because she had the gall to ask for $6,000 to make some videos about the representation of women in video games. So fuck off with this bullshit. Seriously.

What we have here is two totally unrelated situations that were initially linked by a desperate anti-feminist, and are now being linked by some desperate anti-anti-feminist.

These two things have literally nothing in common whatsoever holy shit how are you this stupid.

As I said there, I still think helping a man who was wrongfully imprisoned for half a decade is more worthy a cause than giving someone money to make movies about video games, completely regardless of how good or valid those movies' points might be.

• I don't think anyone said that wasn't true.
  • No one did, but both the person who made the picture and the person whose response I quoted are kind of completely ignoring both parties entirely except as puppets for their own talking points.

It's stupid.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I don't see how anti-anti-feminist is being stupid.  Where has she(?) linked the situtations, beyond referencing how anti-feminist already linked them?

In any case, I agree that getting death threats and rape threats for wanting to make videos about video games is bullshit, regardless of what you think of the videos themselves.
  • I'd say the second person is a lot more reasonable, though. For one thing, s/he wasn't trying to make a statement about Brian Banks, s/he was trying to make a statement about the person who made the first post.
  • In any case, I agree that getting death threats and rape threats for wanting to make videos about video games is bullshit, regardless of what you think of the videos themselves.

Obviously.

I don't know, the whole thing just strikes me as....blech. I wish people wouldn't do this.

• edited 2012-12-23 16:19:57
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I mean, the second person you posted literally began by criticizing anti-feminist for comparing "two entirely separate situations".

I dunno, I mean, obviously it's a wordy Internet argument and nobody comes out of those looking pretty.  But otherwise it seems pretty reasonable to me; first person said something dumb, second person called them out on it.
  • Look I don't know, nevermind, Christ.

I was more bothered by the first person anyway. I should've made that clearer I guess.

I'm bothered by the second person's post too, but I can't really qualify my annoyance without coming across as a twit, so nevermind.

Sorry if I upset you?  I just disagree, that's all.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I have no idea what the hell is going on there

also haha "pop culture critic" sure you are toots

• I have no idea what the hell is going on there

1) Someone saw two unrelated kickstarter (?) funds, and decided that since one was about a guy wrongly convicted of rape and had almost no funding and the other was about a feminist video game critic and had all of the funding, this was clearly evidence of systematic oppression of men in society.

2) this person makes an image about his complaints

3) this person posts the image to tumblr

4) another person comes across this image and writes a response, in which said person is technically right but goes on for much longer than they probably need to about Anita Sarkeesian

5) I find the image with above attached response, and rage silently about everything.

also "pop culture critic" is actually a pretty apt description of Anita Sarkeesian, but it does kind of miss the point of what she does.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh, okay, I know who she is. She makes Feminist Frequency, and I've seen a few episodes and thought she was chasing after ghosts a bit but harmless otherwise. Of course, anti-feminists probably think she's the she-devil. :P
  • edited 2012-12-23 16:35:04
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I have no idea what the hell is going on there

also haha "pop culture critic" sure you are toots

Really?  Seems fairly clear to me.  If she got a master's degree by analyzing the media I'm not sure what reason there is to be patronizing.

Besides, this is the 21st century; all you need to be a pop culture critic nowadays is a YouTube account or a blog.
  • chasing after ghosts a bit

I think this is an apt description of about 99% of media analysis, feminist or otherwise.

a8 said:

If she got a master's degree by analyzing the media I'm not sure what reason there is to be patronizing.

Besides, this is the 21st century; all you need to be a pop culture critic nowadays is a YouTube account or a blog.

You just answered your own question there

Anyone can get a master's in analyzing the media. Hell, it comes off as even more useless than an art history degree. But hey, good on her for finding a way to make money with her degree -- pretty sure that the other 99% with her qualifications aren't so fortunate. The job market is absolutely flooded right now with easily-obtainable credentials like hers. 

• a8 said:

Anyone can get a master's in analyzing the media.

Have you?
    Kexruct said:

a8 said:

Anyone can get a master's in analyzing the media.

Have you?
    No. My degree plan is computer science and mathematics, which are a bit more difficult to achieve. Also, I have certification for media creations and management from the US Military, which is also a bit more difficult than simply sitting back and "analyzing" it. 
  • That's irrelevant. You can talk about how easy it is to get a degree in analyzing media all day, but the fact of the matter is that she put forth the effort to actually get it and you didn't.
    Kexruct said:

That's irrelevant. You can talk about how easy it is to get a degree in analyzing media all day, but the fact of the matter is that she put forth the effort to actually get it and you didn't.

hahaha okay whatever
  • Don't patronize me.
    ...I realize I am extremely defensive about this, but to be quite honest, this is the kind of dismissive attitude I see a lot online, and I do find it very upsetting.

I'm an English student, and there's not a lot else I've had much success with.  I am not a scientist, a craftsman or an artist, and it's not for lack of trying; I just seem to be better at English than I am at anything else.  Furthermore, media/literature analysis is something that I have always found particularly interesting.

Attitudes like that disparage and seek to undermine nearly everything I've ever learned or aspired towards, and I feel like the expectation is that I should just drop everything on the spot and commit myself to a lifelong career at McDonalds.
    Kexruct said:

Don't patronize me.

I'll tell you what. Don't take it from me -- you go read up on what kind of university educations the job market is flooded with. Then, whenever you see what they are, then stop and consider why the job market is currently with these degrees and not the ones it is desperate for , namely the hard sciences such as mathematics and chemistry. Then come back to me and say what you just said and try to keep a straight face about it. 
  • Maybe it's because no one wants a degree in hard sciences? I mean, compare how many modern authors you can name off the top of your head to how many modern scientists you can think of.
    a8 said:

...I realize I am extremely defensive about this, but to be quite honest, this is the kind of dismissive attitude I see a lot online, and I do find it very upsetting.

I'm an English student, and there's not a lot else I've had much success with.  I am not a scientist, a craftsman or an artist, and it's not for lack of trying; I just seem to be better at English than I am at anything else.  Furthermore, media/literature analysis is something that I have always found particularly interesting.

Attitudes like that disparage and seek to undermine nearly everything I've ever learned or aspired towards, and I feel like the expectation is that I should just drop everything on the spot and commit myself to a lifelong career at McDonalds.

I'm an artist myself, and I would love nothing more than to draw to my heart's content for a career. However, this is simply a pipe dream. I don't like my attitude either, but I'm just being realistic. I fucking hate math and I don't like computer science or programming very much either, but they'll keep a roof over my head and food in my stomach. 
  • Kexruct said:

Maybe it's because no one wants a degree in hard sciences? I mean, compare how many modern authors you can name off the top of your head to how many modern scientists you can think of.

You're seriously using this of all things as your counterargument?

a8 said:

I'm an artist myself, and I would love nothing more than to draw to my heart's content for a career. However, this is simply a pipe dream. I don't like my attitude either, but I'm just being realistic. I fucking hate math and I don't like computer science or programming very much either, but they'll keep a roof over my head and food in my stomach. 
    Honestly at your skill level you could probably be a career comic book artist if you wanted to, it would just hinge on how willing you were to put up with industry bullshit.
    Kexruct said:

Maybe it's because no one wants a degree in hard sciences? I mean, compare how many modern authors you can name off the top of your head to how many modern scientists you can think of.

How about I compare the number of published authors I know and the number of people I know with a degree in a hard science and having a good job?

Here's a hint: one side of the equation is "zero."

Honestly at your skill level you could probably be a career comic book artist if you wanted to, it would just hinge on how willing you were to put up with industry bullshit.

I appreciate that, but you're right -- I have no tolerance for the industry. 
  • Oh man, are we gonna play "my desired degree is useless" olympics now? Because let me tell you how much nothing my hypothetical degree in sound design is going to get me.

I appreciate that, but you're right -- I have no tolerance for the industry. 
    So I think you'd agree then that the problem is less that it's impossible to get this kind of job, and more that one has to really work for it and put up with a lot of bureaucracy?
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Kexruct said:

Don't patronize me.

I'll tell you what. Don't take it from me -- you go read up on what kind of university educations the job market is flooded with. Then, whenever you see what they are, then stop and consider why the job market is currently with these degrees and not the ones it is desperate for , namely the hard sciences such as mathematics and chemistry. Then come back to me and say what you just said and try to keep a straight face about it. 

Honestly, to me that seems more like there is more need for hard science degrees, not necessarily that the degree is any more difficult.
  • What I'm saying is that people want to be famous, and hard sciences aren't usually jobs that can make a person famous.
    Kexruct said:

What I'm saying is that people want to be famous, and hard sciences aren't usually jobs that can make a person famous.

I'll worry about my fame after I've secured my well-being. Priorities and all. 
  • Kexruct said:

What I'm saying is that people want to be famous, and hard sciences aren't usually jobs that can make a person famous.

I don't understand how the "everyone wants to be a celebrity" myth persists to this day.

The only people who have a specific desire to be famous are emotionally stunted manchildren who were neglected throughout their childhood. Fame is a fucking horrifying thing and if you want to be famous I pretty much never want to know you.

Honestly, to me that seems more like there is more need for hard science degrees, not necessarily that the degree is any more difficult.

Trust me, the difficulty in obtaining a fine arts degree or an art history degree or even a media degree is leagues below a simple degree in mathematics.  

Also quoting my proofs professor, "Mathematicians never worry about finding work."

Regardless, it wouldn't be the case for analysis if people didn't constantly dismiss media analysis as "chasing ghosts" or "useless".
  • Kexruct said:

I don't understand how the "everyone wants to be a celebrity" myth persists to this day.

The only people who have a specific desire to be famous are emotionally stunted manchildren who were neglected throughout their childhood. Fame is a fucking horrifying thing and if you want to be famous I pretty much never want to know you.

Perhaps famous was the wrong word. Everyone wants to feel important, and since no one really knows about famous mathematicians or scientists, but everyone knows about authors.
  • Kexruct said:

I'll worry about my fame after I've secured my well-being. Priorities and all. 
    I'm not saying this is wrong, just that you don't think like everyone else.
  • Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

Perhaps famous was the wrong word. Everyone wants to feel important, and since no one really knows about famous mathematicians or scientists, but everyone knows about authors.

Are you kidding me? Are you really going to say that Einstein and Tolkien are not on, roughly speaking, the same level of known-ness?

And again, doing something to feel important is a sign of some issues.

• Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Define "everyone else", Kex.

Because I sure as hell don't wanna be famous, Mojave here doesn't wanna be famous, and I know a whole bunch of people in meatspace that don't want to be famous.
    And a lit degree is fucking hard.  I don't fucking get this.  If I say I'm an idiot, people object, but apparently I'm  an intelligent person who is struggling to complete a piss-easy degree while other people are achieving excellent grades in ones that are, I guess, lightyears more difficult.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Fame sounds annoying.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Kexruct said:

Kexruct said:

I ain't no "the arts are a useless distraction" person, but people like Cantor, Lavoisier, Curie, Godel, Turing and Pasteur did a hell of a lot for mankind, and if there names aren't as well known as the great artists of history, that's a problem with the education system.