Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    we're doing that 'hey look at this nerd and their dumb blog' thing again
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

Yeah I was gonna point that out too
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    True
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

...you're right and I'm sorry.

I still find this person kind of baffling, though. Like, the combination of social justice rhetoric and far-right dog-whistling is really confusing. That, and the whole weird interpretation of Undertale he puts forward has a huge flaw in that half of his complaints can be immediately upended with "...and how is this a bad thing?"
    Insight wank man

Insight Wank
    ...OK, so insight wankers are like Sargon of Akkad, but classier and subtler in their rupturing of the ideological space-time continuum?
  • behold, Insidious Wankerstein, the end of human thought
  • kill living beings
    as spoken of in the apocalypse of michael
    i read that as 'insidious wankstain'
    which actually seems like a fairly satisfying insult
  • is there any other kind of wankstain
  • actually strimmer, it's pronounced "vonkerschteen"
  • (*thunderclaps*)
  • edited 2016-06-11 02:03:12
    My dreams exceed my real life

...OK, so insight wankers are like Sargon of Akkad, but classier and subtler in their rupturing of the ideological space-time continuum?

It's what happens when you consider yourself above politics for everything that doesn't effect you.
    So "the dysgenic effect long believed to exist from poor people having more children has stabilized and may be reversing, at least among whites" is a completely reasonable statement that nobody in their right minds would get angry about, but "Jesus christ, Less Wrong people act like such obtuse robots" is ableist scum propaganda, and worthy of harassment and a dedicated hateblog.
  • oh so THAT'S what an insight wanker is
    So exactly that.

This makes so much sense now.
    I feel I have explained this several times
  • well then this explanation is much more clear than the previous ones
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    In varying amounts of detail, yes, but this is one of the more thorough explanations.
    Just this "haha, I can see through the worries of the untermenschen in their petty tribal THEY SAID WHAT ABOUT GAMERS WHAT THE FUCK GUYS"
  • I think what you just described there is like, the vast majority of people with college educations
    I mean to a degree, but Insight Wankers make it more apparent, where some issues are Political and thus, not worthy of discussion, and some aren't, and the dividing line is if it involves them.
  • Odradek said:

I mean to a degree, but Insight Wankers make it more apparent, where some issues are Political and thus, not worthy of discussion, and some aren't, and the dividing line is if it involves them.

...ok, this is weird because that is like, the exact and precise inverse of the people who annoy me on Tumblr a lot

Odradek said:

...ok, this is weird because that is like, the exact and precise inverse of the people who annoy me on Tumblr a lot
    Perhaps the truth is

Somewhere in the middle
  • Also at that guy earlier, uh:

(The abundance of “Women with Guns” and “Men with Inner Lives” gets glossed over because it doesn’t fit the narrative.) 

They get glossed over? IDK where he's getting this...
  • Like, so much of tumblr seems to be dedicated to talking about the latter. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but I have no idea where he's getting this.
  • There's no shortage of things to be bothered by, makes you wonder why they choose this

Fucking sigh
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    is it just me, or does tumblr (yes i know, talking about the site like it's one person, whatever) seem to actively trashtalk celebrities they personally don't find attractive more than more conventionally attractive celebrities who have done way worse things

like, john green and macklemore are both mostly harmless but i still see shit about them and jokes about their appearance (not from people i follow for the most part, but around.) benedict cumberbatch is actually kind of an asshole but i still see posts saying he looks like an alien (i guess this is continued backlash from back when everyone worshiped the ground he walked on.) i also saw people getting mad a while back because people were saying not to make fun of adam driver's appearance and they were like "he doesn't need your defending, he's on the cover of gq!!!" adam driver hasn't done...anything bad, as far as i'm aware, besides maybe having obnoxious fans?

i'm probably thinking too hard ~_~
  • nah you're mostly right I think.

I don't even think Macklemore's ugly but everyone else seems to for some reason.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I have to assume the Adam Driver thing is more of the Kylo Ren backlash.

That backlash has greatly disillusioned me.
    That's been my experience too. Sad.
  • Epitome said:

is it just me, or does tumblr (yes i know, talking about the site like it's one person, whatever) seem to actively trashtalk celebrities they personally don't find attractive more than more conventionally attractive celebrities who have done way worse things

like, john green and macklemore are both mostly harmless but i still see shit about them and jokes about their appearance (not from people i follow for the most part, but around.) benedict cumberbatch is actually kind of an asshole but i still see posts saying he looks like an alien (i guess this is continued backlash from back when everyone worshiped the ground he walked on.) i also saw people getting mad a while back because people were saying not to make fun of adam driver's appearance and they were like "he doesn't need your defending, he's on the cover of gq!!!" adam driver hasn't done...anything bad, as far as i'm aware, besides maybe having obnoxious fans?

this was my experience back in the day
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    lovely

having my thoughts echoed by others on this type of thing is always simultaneously validating and disappointing every time 
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    http://fortune.com/2016/06/13/yahoo-verizon-att-bidding/

these three parties are vying to own Tumblr
  • kill living beings
    What the fuck is that stock photo supposed to convey?
  • A guy looking at his cellphone while being subjected to motion blur because he's "hurrying"?

"Millenials" I guess. 

He's doing something social media-y while also being busy, and tumblr is a "millenial" thing.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    He's rushing to place a bid for Yahoo!'s internet assets
    Epitome said:

Actually, accusing random-ass people of being pedophiles is the most basic, normal behavior in the world.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:
    relatedly: did you know that most of the pulse nightclub shooting victims, like lin-manuel miranda, are puerto rican?

worth a thought tbh
    Kexruct said:

There's no shortage of things to be bothered by, makes you wonder why they choose this

Fucking sigh

afaict there's a certain segment of leftists who see left-leaning liberals as more of the enemy than conservatives or fascists, and who do you think the biggest fans of hamilton are
    Which is to say, they prioritise ideological purity and abstract notions of "real change" over things like human empathy.
    fuuuuuuuuccccckkkk
    I had to read that a few times for it to really click, I'll admit. Anyway, that sure is cheerful and pleasant (Christ).
  • that has to be some kind of ill-conceived parody account? Right?

Please tell me I'm right. I don't want this to exist in the world unironically.

I don't want it to exist at all, but certainly not unironically.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.

a side note: ive never met a vaguely decent human being who uses the word "manpain"

it's one of those almost infallible markers of barely suppressed intense emotional sadism

like the left-wing version of *neoreactionary buzzword goes here*
    naney taught me
  • that's an old meme right there.

Wicked are you not wavy.