Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• edited 2016-06-04 03:06:05
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Jane said:

Tachyon said:

fanfiction seems fun but sometimes i think people elevate it beyond what it is and get weirdly arrogant about it

absolutely, but people get that way about everything.

yeah true
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Odradek said:

I feel like people think the Ivory Tower of Grumpy Old Men Who Hate Nerd Culture And Fanfic And Fun And Want Everyone To Read Dry Old Books have far more power than they actually have.

this is also true
  • when the idea of Taking A Side On The Internet comes up what comes to mind for me is like, some relatively minor thing on tumblr that becomes Issue Du Jour where due to social pressure everyone has to take some absolutist stance over it

like a few months ago when Does Rocky Horror Picture Show Have A Place In Contemporary LGBT Culture did the rounds

the average opinion is that it has issues, and can make some people uncomfortable, but its not a huge deal

but then this polarizing effect occurs where things snowball into either "it's basically White Het Gay Birth Of A Nation" and "it's The Purest Cinnamon Roll To Ever Be Glazed With Cinnamon"

it's making a mountain out of a molehill

but at the same time, it's totally ok to say "i like RHPS" or "RHPS makes me uncomfortable"
  • I agree, and I think that is what this is as well.

Either fanfiction (on the whole, because talking about individual fanfics would require nuance and for people to actually be familiar with them and we have no time for that) is Good For Culture or it is Terrible Shit That Should Be Annihilated.

You can't just like or dislike it, or even find it helpful or distasteful, you have to go all the way in one direction or the other.
  • I just did though!!
  • No I mean, that's the general sentiment.
  • edited 2016-06-04 03:18:34
    meow meow meowtherfuckers
    but then this polarizing effect occurs where things snowball into either "it's basically White Het Gay Birth Of A Nation" and "it's The Purest Cinnamon Roll To Ever Be Glazed With Cinnamon"

feelin' this. a lot of people feel like they have to come up with political reasons as to why they like/dislike something, so you get stuff like "reasons why the deadpool movie is feminist" or "i don't like evangelion because it's a show about manpain" and it's like, chill, you're allowed to think deadpool is funny or evangelion is boring and have no further justification as to why you think that. 
  • I always thought Manpain sounded like a surname.

Yes hello I am Charles Manpain, PHD.
  • edited 2016-06-04 03:20:50
    kill living beings
    it's a pit of infinite, shitty adornos

ed: well, shittier
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I guess they figure they're not a good soldier in the culture wars (or something) if they don't politicise everything?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to interpret fiction in one way, repeatedly
  • a side note: ive never met a vaguely decent human being who uses the word "manpain"

it's one of those almost infallible markers of barely suppressed intense emotional sadism

like the left-wing version of *neoreactionary buzzword goes here*
  • kill living beings
    i thought it was supposed to be dudes being sad about stupid shit that's only sad cos of patriarchy, like having a woman beat you in something, or whatever

i guess a broad and pointless "a male feels sad" is probably the norm in shitty tumblr world by now
    yeah, really, wtf is "manpain"
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    as a fanfic writer, I believe that fanfic has its place

a side note: ive never met a vaguely decent human being who uses the word "manpain"

it's one of those almost infallible markers of barely suppressed intense emotional sadism

I assumed it was targeting games like Watch_Dogs where the main character is a sociopathic thug who uses his fridged female relatives as an excuse for murdering security guards.

Not like, actual human beings
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    Odradek said:

a side note: ive never met a vaguely decent human being who uses the word "manpain"

I assumed it was targeting games like Watch_Dogs where the main character is a sociopathic thug who uses his fridged female relatives as an excuse for murdering security guards.

Not like, actual human beings
    ^ this
  • now thats a use that actually makes sense
    watch_dogs sounds like the kind of XTREEM game I'd want nothing to do with
  • mostly it's just GTA but with a cyberpunk man in a baseball hat
    ah
    lee4hmz said:

watch_dogs sounds like the kind of XTREEM game I'd want nothing to do with

If it were XTREEM it would be less desperately boring.
    Odradek said:

Watch_Dogs is the most inconsistently written game I've seen and it's amazing. 

Like, the main character, Aiden Pearce is a vigilante. Depending on the cutscene and radio broadcast, he is either identified only as "The Fox" OR he is identified only as "The Vigilante" OR he is "The Vigilante, also known as Aiden Pearce".

There is a mission where he literally kills a man to protect his secret identity, and then after the mission, there was a radio broadcast in which they mention that Aiden Pearce is the vigilante as if it's a well known fact. At the end of the game, there's a series of news clips in which they FIRST interview an acquaintance of Aiden's, who is writing a book about his activities as the Vigilante, and THEN cut to a clip talking about how no one knows who "The Fox" is.

There's a mission where you assassinate a guy named Joseph Demarco, and then at the end, they mention that Joseph Demarco has been arrested.

This isn't even mentioning the subtler inconsistences, like Aiden being a thug who cares about nothing but his personal family 90% of the time, and who kills random security guards like it ain't no thing, and then 10% of the time we're supposed to believe he's a hero with a strong moral compass.

I cannot fucking believe no one did a readthrough of this script after Ubisoft's team of 500000 writers was done with it to check if the five billion different creative visions had lead to inconsistencies.
  • Watch_Dogs is one of the worst games of this console generation and it's also one of the funniest.
  • kill living beings
    i still can't believe they used the name "The Vigilante"

i still can't believe they used the name "The Vigilante"

He was going to be The Fox, but 500 rewrites and 50000 writers
  • kill living beings
    got to come up with an identity to protect myself... i know, i'll be Super Hero
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    late to this but devin faraci once told a director to kill himself and is enough of an ass in general that i don't really care about what he says in general
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also i first heard the name in the context of him acting about anime like naney does about video games so
  • edited 2016-06-04 17:43:15
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'll repeat what I said in my thread in here if we've moved on to general dislike now:

There's something about the entire Birth Movies Death crew that rubs me the wrong way. It frustrates me how it's so hard for me to talk about that because of how sea lions have made irrationally getting angry at them into a sport.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    extremely mild ijbm: those 'should you fight this character posts'. the philosophers and famous artists one was pretty funny, but once you get into fandoms it's like 'yes you should fight this character because i don't like them' or 'how dare you even think about hurting this precious little cinnamon roll'. i mean, as far as fandom stuff goes it's completely harmless, it's just completely devoid of humor 
  • I liked the one about rappers but that was before it really took off and also wasn't on tumblr.
  • there is nothing more pure and holy than the one about rappers, even if it has zero understanding of how percentage works
  • Yes. Fight J. Cole. Fight J. Cole and win. Fight him for ruining the Jay Z–Dame Dash reunion moment. Fight him for using the phrase “Cole world.” Fight him for his face being his face.
  • And a 100 percent chance that he just straight-up kills you. Did you even see Wanted, bro? He can bend the flight of bullets. Don’t do it. Don’t get ghost-assassinated by Common.
  • He shares the same physical attributes as Rick Ross (who earned a -23 percent chance of knocking you out), but there’s one super-ultra-off-the-backboard mega-difference you have to account for: Bronson’s father is Albanian, which means Bronson is half-Albanian, which means FUCK THAT. The only person capable of defeating Albanians is Liam Neeson, and you’re no Liam Neeson,* my friend. Don’t do it. Don’t fight Action Bronson. Don’t get sold into an Albanian human trafficking ring.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    i wanna know what sort of person would even attempt to fight DMX
  • I have a joke irl where I'll say "I could take DMX in a fight" and people will casually affirm this as fact

That's the entire joke
  • kill living beings
    tis a good joke.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

He shares the same physical attributes as Rick Ross (who earned a -23 percent chance of knocking you out), but there’s one super-ultra-off-the-backboard mega-difference you have to account for: Bronson’s father is Albanian, which means Bronson is half-Albanian, which means FUCK THAT. The only person capable of defeating Albanians is Liam Neeson, and you’re no Liam Neeson,* my friend. Don’t do it. Don’t fight Action Bronson. Don’t get sold into an Albanian human trafficking ring.
    This is significantly funnier if you know anyone who was in or wen through Albania during the Hoxha regime. Which is to say this made me laugh hysterically.
  • edited 2016-06-05 13:14:43
    You know, I'd really like it if all the "bisexual characters" blogs weren't overrun by trolls and lack of evidence. 
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Basically all of those blogs are headcanon, submitted by so-and-so people who want that to be some type of canon. Which just gets a violent an emphatic shrug from me.
  • Not really, there are good posts and bad posts. It's incredibly tedious to sort through them, though.
    Canon representation is a nice thing.

Canon representation is a nice thing.

Well, definitely, though that's not how I read it.

In my experience, the LGBT-themed character blogs end up as "[LGBT] image Anna Liebert is pansexual!" which is how I read Alduin's comments as referencing. Which is whatever. I don't think they're bad posts, though I don't know what he means by the good posts either.
    Which was sort of my point. I have no problem with such interpretations (and certainly have my own), but the alternative of confirmation is better.
    Right, right.
  • Canon representation is a nice thing.

I know, that's why I look for these posts in the first place. I too share unconfirmed interpretations of characters' sexualities but I don't go around passing them off as fact.