Talkin about Tumblrs, man

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And when they weren't harking back to references you'd likely only get if your mom liked those old movies (guilty) or if you watched a lot of 1930s/1940s Looney Tunes (also guilty), they were gratuitously referencing the late 1980s and very early 1990s — a time that really, really hasn't aged well. 
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I know, not exactly the most popular of opinions, but I grew up on that stuff alongside the old Tex Avery shorts and all that jazz, so it's not like I'm on the outside looking in. It's just when I see someone else point out these things, I can't help but realise that I wasn't crazy about the Tiny Toons school of cartoon even then. I mean, Pinky and the Brain was fun, and Gogo Dodo was certainly a thing, but the rest was kind of hit and miss and went over my head a lot—although I at least *knew* that it was going over my head.
  • There are shows from the decade that have aged way better than A!

Rocko, PPG...

I know I bemoaned a lack of "showbizzy pop culture humor" but really, if any Ruegger shows should be aspired to, it's the more satirical, surreal ones, PATB and F!
    lee4hmz said:

And when they weren't harking back to references you'd likely only get if your mom liked those old movies (guilty) or if you watched a lot of 1930s/1940s Looney Tunes (also guilty), they were gratuitously referencing the late 1980s and very early 1990s — a time that really, really hasn't aged well. 

Same, actually.

Also, there were cartoons that did that sort of thing well, but they were mostly the ones that just aimed outright at an older crowd. I seem to recall that The Tick and Freakazoid! have aged fairly well simply because they made no bones about being... well, exactly what they were, which is meta as hell and not really for kids at all.
  • edited 2016-02-26 20:22:48
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Oh, and Rocko. God, that show was dark, but also somehow charming.

Yeah, AU done the ninja thing.
    There was a lot of filler in TTA. For every episode with a good story or good gags (or even a good whole-plot reference or theme, like the K-ACME TV episodes or Weekday Afternoon Live), you had things that made 1970s H-B look good.

And yeah, some things went over my head, too, though it wasn't as impenetrable as Animaniacs often was.
  • I dunno, I like the fact that A! is nested in a very particular time period.

timelessness has its advantages, but embodying a decade has its good bits?
    Well, A! also did a better job of not riding Totally Radical 1990s trends, too. TTA had the characters attempting to rap, saying things like "Chill, man", and such like; the Warners didn't need to be cool because a good amount of their character was "annoying trolls that show up when you least expect them". About the only time they tried to be hip was "Dot the Macadamia Nut".
    Yeah, I feel like TTA works the least of any of them in retrospect.
  • edited 2016-02-26 20:39:12
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I actually agree with Lee on TTA, honestly. "How I Spent My Vacation" is still pretty awesome, though.

Animaniacs was generally pretty good, although some of the segments in the first season were real loads, and Richard Stone's music could get overbearing at times (although apparently, he was made to do some of the more overbearing effects by the producers).

I love Pinky & The Brain and Freakazoid!.
    F! is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a Deadpool Saturday morning cartoon.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    lee4hmz said:

F! is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a Deadpool Saturday morning cartoon.

That honestly makes me want to see the Deadpool film more.
  • edited 2016-02-26 21:02:02
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually still have all of TTA on DVD, partially out of nostalgia, partially because the last two seasons didn't have to meet a quota and thus have a lot less filler. (There were still some complaints among the old-school fans about some of the jokes falling flat, but still, they weren't the absolute duds some of the first-season eps were...)
  • Now this is in my head:

• also agreed on "Critical Condition" being a terrible episode
    I love Slappy, I love old-school slapstick humor (specifically Tom and Jerry), but that episode was just mean.
  • Yeah
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    New Xkit has a toolbar button in Chrome now?

But it doesn't seem to actually do anything.

Like, I click on it, and it's just the same generic menu as when you right-click on an extension button.

Might as well hide it, I guess.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i wasn't aware there was a NEW Xkit
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I came in one morning and all my extensions were on my Chrome toolbar. I think it's more of a Chrome thing than a New Xkit thing.

Also, New Xkit's been out for ages. It works great. I've been using it to catch Pokemon.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:

i wasn't aware there was a NEW Xkit

Xkit Guy quit some time ago, but some new developers forked the source code and made the creatively named "New Xkit"
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    MachSpeed said:

I came in one morning and all my extensions were on my Chrome toolbar. I think it's more of a Chrome thing than a New Xkit thing.

Also, New Xkit's been out for ages. It works great.
    This, yeah.
    *googlegooglegoogle*

Oh, so it is a Chrome change. Fair enough.

Weird that not all of my extensions showed up like that, then.
    All of mine did!
  • Me whenever you guys talk about American politics.

It's strange even if you live here :o
    Donald Trump doesn't even seem like a real person to me, how the fuck is he a serious candidate for our next president?
  • Yeah, you could've told me that Donald Duck was running and it'd have the same effect. Both Donalds are cartoon characters, for fuck's sake.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm loath to bump this thread, but I have positive news.

Aw yes.

Yay!
    THING YOU NEED FOR A DECENT TUMBLR EXPERIENCE: THE HISTORY

Missing E (2011-2013)
    XKit (2011-2015)
    New Xkit (2015-present)

I MISSED YOU! ;w;
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    trying to come up with a sufficiently clever pun on mandelbrots so I can make a tumblr with it
  • what-the-fractal.tumblr.com? mandelbrot-set-match.tumblr.com?
    decided to just go for the usual backup username

if you'd guys'd like to make any follow recommendations/follow me, that'd be great!
  • My favorite thing I've seen on tumblr today just might be the official McDonalds yuri anime.
    Haven said:

My favorite thing I've seen on tumblr today just might be the official McDonalds yuri anime.

Oh, what a time...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    wow, the fry stations and the ketchup dispensers are the same worldwide, huh
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    anime girl panicking and dropping food is very relatable
  • Haven said:

My favorite thing I've seen on tumblr today just might be the official McDonalds yuri anime.

Oh, what a time...
    What we need are some really BIG rings.
    Also:

that's definitely how pretty much every cartoon episode on bullying I've seen has gone

except wrt Arthur I'm pretty sure

Not the episodes. I meant more the "bullies are just jerks more often than not" thing.

Then again, I already know the answer so I don't know why I even bothered asking.

I think I grew up too sheltered.
    I actually made my own response to that.
  • I am glad that I apparently missed all these cartoons growing up.
  • kill living beings
    that Bouguereau thread is neat
    Thanksh.

I am nothing if not a master Tumblr eavesdropper.
    Jane said:

I am glad that I apparently missed all these cartoons growing up.

that or you forgot about them

I'm thinking now of how Toon Zone's Talkback threads for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic episodes that were especially formulaic would draw comparisons for shows from 10-15 years before that I went "I don't remember a them doing that plot/a fucking thing about that show"
    Like I said, I mainly remember live-action stuff like kid-oriented and family sitcoms doing it. Cartoons either didn't have teenage characters to start with (and thus no horse in that race), or they played with that trope as often as not (looking at you, TTA).