ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I like the food, too, but their ad campaigns of late have been dumb, dumb, dumb. And as with the Pepsi DNA thing, this looks like something Strong Bad would do as a joke.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-10-01 22:19:31
    The 's part of "arby's" just needs to go to a fire somewhere and lay in it, as does the faux 3D effect they lifted from the 90's. It's all just a bit of a mess.

I'm one of those weird guys who enjoyed Good Mood Food, so I think this's especially unneeded.
  • "I'm Thinking Arby's" was a way better slogan tho'
  • It was.

And both are better than "slicing up freshness". Seriously? That line makes me want to go to th' county line and shout "yee haw" before riding my horse into th' sunset.

/half-kidding
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-10-02 12:43:05
    Hey guys, you know how Microsoft changed their logo, right?

Turns out they really came up with the Windows-style squares a looong while back. Same coordination and everything.

• New logo for my favorite Linux distro's 2012 edition, to celebrate the whole 2012 Mayan apocalypse thing:

The version before this was 13.37(because hey, 13.5 would have boring!) so it was made "leet":

The Slackware mascot is a mix between "Bob" the Subgenius prophet and the Linux penguin, which I think's kinda neat too.

Maybe not the best logos, but I think they're pretty fun.
  • Okay, I know nothing about Linux but #1 looks like an awesome way to run a computer.

I wonder if the Wired OS was ever finished.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    J.R. "Bob" Dobbs???
  • ^ Yup, exactly! That type of Linux was made by a bunch of Subgenius geeks, hence the name... Are you another Subgenii? Hail ``Bob" !
  • edited 2012-10-04 02:25:59
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Church of the SubGenius

Not really one myself, the closest I got was reading the Illuminatus! trilogy, which is great.
  • Illuminatus! you say?

I know it from the JAMs.

Yeah, and it actually isn't related to the SubGenius...at least not directly.
  • On the topic of metal bands, what about these logos?

none of the above
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Fear Factory's has two designer pet peeves: stretched type and Copperplate Gothic.

I don't really frown on Avenged Sevenfold's, though Brand New makes me wonder if it's always depicted with the gradient. The people there hate gradients in logos and I wonder if doing so is a good design principle.

Lordi's...was that drawn for them?
  • edited 2012-10-04 02:46:57
    The gradient-thing is on the A7X one because it was the only one I found that was just the text logo on its own (I was thinking of using one of the single art covers), the normal one doesn't have that gradient. And I don't know of the Lordi one, but it probably is.

Also, the Fear Factory one is probably supposed to evoke that "machine" feeling that I think they were going for in their early work. Then again, I'm probably only saying that because all of their album covers feature metal and/or mechanical stuff.
  • It's kinda odd, the logo looks like it's supposed to evoke an earlier era, but I don't think Rush's music can b described as "old-school," but I haven't listened to anything by them besides "One Little Victory."
    That's the logo used on their very first album, from 1974. So yeah, old-school.

Rush are unusual in that they've used a different logo on literally every album. I thought of posting them all so you folks could choose favorites but I'm lazy.
  • edited 2012-10-04 02:55:25
    Oh, yeah, Genesis changed their logo like six seven-to-eight times. I'm only going to post the end result:

There are literally seven logos in one.
  • Princess AlicePrincess Alice
    posts the Sega Genesis logo because I think I'm funny
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    /me posts the Sega Genesis logo because I think I'm funny
    I always liked that logo, actually.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    All the Chrome. All of it.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-10-04 19:01:37

I love how it keeps the NOISIΛ = VISION theme. Very clever.
    Justice42 said:All the Chrome. All of it.

it's the '80s, do a lot of coke, vote for Ronald Reagan and
    dip everything in chrome
  • Father shall be swallowed by the son, and brother shall be swallowed by brother.
    is this where we talk about logos?

Sweet! I always had one that I never got.

Dr Pepper, right?

This one basically looks as right as possible, but then there's it's cousin:

If the name is Diet Dr Pepper thne how come it says Dr Pepper Diet? That's so weeeeeeird.

I think it's a product of Cadbury Schweppes trying to give most of their diet sodas similar packaging.
    Oh fuck, Univision has saw fit to have Wolff Olins amend its logo

Why can't you corporations stop fixing things that aren't broken?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Oh wow, that almost looks like a parody of 2000s logos. It's got all the hallmarks of change for the sake of change: gradients, needless 3D effect, gloss everywhere...
    And this article refers to it as "modernization".

hooray for subtle mindless "out with the old, in with the new" shit
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Like I said, change for the sake of change...
  • edited 2012-10-18 08:56:38
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    About that comic: The Murray Playground Equipment logo makes me giggle, and the "Band Logos" section reminds me of "Box Set" by BNL.

And that new Univision logo does look like a parody, like something out of RoboCop.
  • I cannot help but feel a lot of the reaction to new logos is knee-jerk.

I mean some of them are pretty bad, but come on.

Oh, definitely agreed. I've seen plenty of instances of decent rebrands getting guff for little reason other than "they changed it and that's terrible." I think last year's Starbucks rebrand is a good example of a good logo that got a knee-jerk reaction.

Of course, for every one of those there's one of these.
  • Oh, definitely agreed. I've seen plenty of instances of decent rebrands getting guff for little reason other than "they changed it and that's terrible." I think last year's Starbucks rebrand is a good example of a good logo that got a knee-jerk reaction.

Of course, for every one of those there's one of these.

Weird, everyone I know seems to either think the new Sbux logo's either OK or they just don't care en generale.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I cannot help but feel a lot of the reaction to new logos is knee-jerk.

I mean some of them are pretty bad, but come on.

Nope. If it has a gradient, it's instant shit

This is kind of like how the late 70's applied orange and brown to everything until everyone just got sick and fucking tired of it, and even then it didn't really stop until the beginning of the 80's.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-10-18 14:22:36
    >Nope. If it has a gradient, it's instant shit

O RLY?

...ya rly
    for some reason that makes me think of a credit card
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Looks like some crazy roads to me.
    Anonus said:

for some reason that makes me think of a credit card

I kinda see it, oddly enough.
    The HeapCo Heaper Rewards Card! Get 5% back on all your orgone purchases and snazzy bedrooms!
    Hmmm...

image image

Guess what song I had stuck in my head for a rather large chunk of 2008. :P
    Ooh, one of CBS's old campaigns!

Kinda obscure resemblance, there (though their network ID from the 2008-09 season reminded me of the one they used from 1992-1995).