ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Hee hee

They're a part of history now!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Also the wordmark follows that stupid half-blunt, half-rounded terminal trend

It is not "modern", you morons, it's hideous and possibly a manifestation of repressed '90s nostalgia
  • edited 2012-12-11 19:27:09

that's a trend?

why

it's so... lumpy
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Fuck you Comcast, and your "more on-demand" too. >:P
  • edited 2012-12-11 19:30:05
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Frankenstein's lettering.  Frankenletters.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-12-11 19:31:58
    "Hideous" doesn't even begin to describe that... monstrosity. I'd like the text if it didn't cross rounds and flats, but even better text couldn't save it from that damn shameless peacock abuse.

Bluh. The sooner Comcast sells NBCUniversal off the better. (Preferably to Anonus. I'm positive he'd do a better job with it than they ever could.)
  • edited 2012-12-11 19:31:32
    Not to mention it's incredibly confusing.

The logo, I mean, not the lettering itself.
    I wanted to buy it but I was too late... :(
  • Oh hey, Armin made a mistake

The old logo in that Comcast post is the old old logo, not the new old one with the non-terrible T.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Yes, yes, just shove the NBC peacock on there. That'll make everything better.

/sarcasm
    Tre said:

Oh hey, Armin made a mistake

The old logo in that Comcast post is the old old logo, not the new old one with the non-terrible T.

I think sometimes he deliberately chooses the more recognizable "old" logo, at least in the cases where several have been used inconsistently at the same time.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    My friend from the UK posted this

EMBOSS FUCKING EVERYTHING
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    SHIT JUST GOT REAL
    And thus, Lt. Gov Newsom secures the heaper vote through all out eternity
    Well then. I do believe we've found 2012's Gap fiasco.

(Though this logo is nowhere near as bad as the 2010 Gap logo was.)
    So, is the logo really that bad? No. It’s not.

Yes

Yes it is 
    It's not really an ugly logo, it's just kind of dull. That and I keep thinking of a crankshaft turning in an engine when I see it.
    I just find it bizarre that this logo, of all things, is the one to incite mass outrage.

It's not a good logo, but it's not nearly as terrible as people seem to be making it out to be, either.
    why can't the Comcast logo incite mass outrage instead

or the Arby's one
    Funny, I had the same thought about Comcast.
  • edited 2012-12-12 19:35:40
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    What bothers me about the new Comcast logo is that it just seems...wrong. Like they found NBC's headstone and spray-painted "Comcast 4 lyfe, bitchez!!! what" on it.
    It strikes me as something like WE ARE NBC NOW. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Anonus said:

It strikes me as something like WE ARE NBC NOW. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes, like, exactly!
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

I'm watching New Year's Rockin' Eve '13...and the font they're using for the graphics is reminding me of ABC's 1987 graphics!
  • ^^Please tell me that's not for real.
    Looks like it came from an early trailer (look around 1:38):

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    It looked old, but it's interesting to finally be hit by "font uncanny valley".
  • edited 2013-01-07 09:17:44
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD

As for the "VI+1" problem...I don't see that really being too much an issue, because y'know, who's never heard of VH1?
    Yeah, I think they're reading too much into it, too; it looks fine to me.
    I'm surprised that "Vhr" lasted ten years. I thought it was a piece of shit when it was new and always have thought it was.

As for the typeface choices: the fuck is with the hacked-up Helvetica?
    I, um

no
    > pointless shiny gradient

HEY GUYS 2013 and 2003 ARE THE SAME THING RIGHT
    How about that pointless DIN-esque lettering?
    That too

But between this and last year's Arby's logo I can't believe there are designers who still think "SHINY is always better" is the way of the future
    More like clients

If you read the comments on BN they often guess that a bad/uninspired logo was the result of a client forcing the designers to play it safe or something

True, true.

Also "Seattle Reign" = best punny sports name ever

Oh god that flamingo looks so creepy.
    I didn't notice before, but the "From..." and "to..." things there don't really even attempt any sort of parallelism.

How, exactly, is "lively typography" a direct replacement for "still water", for instance?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    In the original logo, the text represents the water the flamingo is standing in.
    Honestly, I didn't see any water in the original logo, though that would explain why what I had assumed to be sky is that greenish color.
  • edited 2013-01-08 10:28:48
    The way the sun is drawn in the original makes it look like the sunset is being reflected on the water's surface, to me.

Lines suggesting slight ripples.
    the flamingo looks like it's from a DreamWorks animated movie to me
  • Oh, christ, it's actually even doing the Dreamworks Face.

I actually kinda like both versions of that.
  • edited 2013-01-10 00:04:13
    i vastly prefer the older version.

Which strikes me as slightly odd actually, because there was definitely a time when i would not only have preferred the new version, but been completely unable to understand anyone thinking otherwise.