ITT: We discuss logos

Comments

• edited 2012-10-18 22:05:52
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And now I'm trying to see if anyone posted enough of WRIC's 1990-1996 music to identify the package. This clip looks like it's as close as I'm going to get, for now.

My suspicion now is that it's a custom Non-Stop package that isn't listed anywhere. The parts I can remember of it (including this tiny bit) remind me a lot of First News or News Central.
  • edited 2012-10-18 23:32:10
    Oh god.

Just looking at it, you can instantly picture what demographic they're going at, what brands they were trying to copy, what their commercials will look like and even what their narrator will sound like. I guess it succeeded on that front...
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • ^ "Yep, the logo's perfect now. We fucking nailed it."
  • edited 2012-11-05 19:01:33
    Wow, another corporate giant changed their logo to some streamlined late-aughties thing, but this time I'm completely cool with it.

</slowpoke>
  • Too bland.

Like, literally, even having a little bit of the old one's energy would help. Honestly I just think the new one's too... lazy.

Also the photoshop jobs they did for the reveal sucked. Seriously, I don't even want to bother digging for them, they are that bad.
  • edited 2012-11-21 19:07:53
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Another logo I never expected to be shown the door

As for the "inappropriateness" getting by, I imagine that people didn't have sex on the brain 24-7/weren't so worried about this stuff in 1983
  • i never noticed that

cannot unsee
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The people who point out the "inappropriateness" make me want to smack them.

As foe the new one...it's okay, I guess. Not nearly as memorable, and I'm gonna miss the delightfully dated '80s type.
    One thing I do like is that they finally fixed the border--look at a real yellow road sign; the black border is slightly inset from the edge.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    rarlab finally got out of 1995 and made themselves a decent logo
    Traffic lights have logos too:

Thoughts?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    How uninspired...
  • edited 2012-11-30 03:46:46
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    In retrospect that was a bad example to open with; none of the current big players in traffic control really have good logos. I only started with that one because it was the only such photo that I've taken...

Let's look at some historical traffic signal logos instead, with the help of Google Images.

Here's one from Eagle Signal:

Siemens still uses a variation of it on their polycarbonate signals to this day. Of note is the name "DURASIG", which is still cast on new signals despite the trademark technically lapsing in 1993:

I don't know how well you can make it out, but there's an older Eagle logo on this lens. Instead of an eagle, it's two semaphore flags with "STOP" and "GO" on them:

ah yes, eagles

such a nice visual device when done well
  • edited 2012-11-30 03:47:11
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I like eagles as a visual device because they're a (relatively) subtle way to brand something as "American" without resorting to covering everything in stripes and stars.
    They have dignity, I think...

Its successor (the present logo, adopted in 1993) isn't as good, to me...
    Honestly I always found the 1993 one hard to recognize as an eagle...
    It took me ages to discern that it wasn't a side-view mirror...
  • I think it looks like an envelope going through a pipe even though I know it's an eagle.

Which is appropriate but still.
    My mind has issues with the negative/positive space in it. I can't help but view all the blue as the background and all the white as the foreground even though it doesn't form a coherent image that way.
  • edited 2012-12-06 07:04:50
    This is one of those ones that's gotten progressively worse over the years:

The second one was vaguely clever, since it combined the existing Children's Hospital logo with the Nationwide Insurance logo (even though I despise the hospital's corporate name change), but the third one...what? Butterflies? I don't even...
  • lol what the hell is that third logo
    Also, replacing that beautiful script "Children's" with Trajan was a sin.
    I wonder if there's something in our subconscious that associates traditional Roman inscriptional capitals with prestige
  • edited 2012-12-06 21:32:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Likely an associative thing.

That last logo with the butterflies makes me think of, like, an old greetings card?  I dunno.  Something from another era that was never meant to be a logo.
    it's so '90s
  • edited 2012-12-07 00:49:34
    The butterflies remind me of something you might see on the wall in a small child's bedroom, somehow.

Which I guess is an appropriate association for a children's hospital, but as a logo it's not very good from a technical perspective. It doesn't reproduce well in non-digital media, for starters.
    maybe they're doing this because printing logos to slap on signs/vehicles/cards/etc isn't limited a few primary, separate colors anymore. Personally I wish they'd stop this shit and go back to keeping it simple
    The one other thing I notice about the butterfly logo is that they shrunk the Nationwide Insurance logo way down.

I imagine this was intentional; everyone in the community disliked the rename and I've heard most people at the hospital did too.

(Pretty much everyone still just calls it "Children's Hospital", and up until they started construction on the new building, most of the road signs with the pre-2007 logo remained in place as well.)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Things getting corporate name changes is weird to me...I tend to excuse it if the sponsor is locally-based, though (e.g. Heinz Field, Target Arena/Field)...is that bad?
    Nationwide is locally-based, FWIW.

While I dislike the name change, I can't exactly blame them for it. There's a bit of a "beggars can't be choosers" element to it--if you're a nonprofit and some big corporation says "here's $50 million, now name your hospital after us" you can't exactly turn them down, you know?

Of course, this is also the hospital that wanted to name their new emergency room The Abercrombie & Fitch Emergency Department and Trauma Center until they faced a public backlash.
    I know Nationwide is locally-based (I would have cited the Nationwide Arena as another example, too)...

Naming an emergency room after a corporation sounds like something Matt Groening and crew(s) would come up with to me...
    I knew you knew, but I didn't know if the other people reading did.

Nationwide Arena's name doesn't bother me because they owned it outright for the first 12 years of its existence. I kinda wonder why the county hasn't changed it yet, but I guess there's an amount of name recognition there that they don't want to give up.

As for the emergency room: the main objection from the public wasn't even that it was named after a corporation, but that A&F has a history of sexualized marketing featuring underage girls and that this wasn't appropriate for a children's hospital.
    Oh, that...
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I know I've probably brought this up before, but every time I see the Nationwide symbol these days, I get The News Image Plus stuck in my head. :P
  • that was mentioned a few pages back IIRC
  • We should ironically make the HH logo look like some ugly corporate thing

yesssssssss

isn't it like that already? :P
    No, it's clever

Not enough gradients/amorphous blobs/Frutiger-esque humanist sans serifs
    I'm increasingly associating "generic corporate" with Gotham, which is a shame, considering the typeface's origin.
    I know it.

I want the typeface to be an enduring classic but I worry that in 5-10 years it will be looked upon scornfully as old and busted and worn out and everyone will have moved on to the next hot sans serif to shove everywhere...I've seen phrases like "Gotham is the new Meta is the new Helvetica", but FF Meta and Helvetica continue to have a place in contemporary design so maybe the future's not so dim for Gotham.
  • i just hope the new hot serif isn't Novecento

mainly because I love that thing too much for it to become "overhyped"
    I don't think it has the ingredients to take off like Gotham did...no lowercase, for one thing.
    Helvetica weirds me out at times because it's just SO OMNIPRESENT in a way that no other typeface really seems to be.

As for Gotham: I also hope it will become an enduring classic, even if part of me worries that it'll be stamped with "that's so 2010" in a few years. It does have the advantage of being associated with a highly successful presidential campaign, so there'll be at least little bits of it in history books! :P
    You know

I just remembered that both FF Meta and Gotham are in the MoMA

So I guess that vindicates them, at least a little bit.