z;li;l o;ae;igah i;lei;g jaw;i ghe (GMH opines/muses about things)

Comments

• Oh, and an interesting secondary result of this is, now that I know that Elsa is a character with something that troubles her, now I feel awkward about joking about her.

Maybe I'm too compassionate.  But that doesn't sound like a bad thing.
  • I might have figured out something.

I need some music to hang thoughts onto.

A decent opening or ending theme can work.  So can an otherwise completely unrelated piece of music I happen to have at the time.

Everything needs its own theme.
  • Chinese New Year!

Or rather, Chinese New Year's Eve.

I have acquired the following, in the following forms:
    * lettuce - Burger King Big Fish sandwiches
    * celery - celery purchased from the supermarket
    * fish - salmon purchased from Sam's (about half a year ago and has been sitting in my freezer for a while), Burger King Big Fish sandwiches (which contain Alaskan Pollock, or so it says)

So I'm going to eat one of these two sandwiches, saving the other for tomorrow, then fix some rice, veggies, and the salmon.  Then I'll eat half the salmon and save it for tomorrow.  The idea is that I need to have fish in both years.

I need to make celery tomorrow, but I think I'll make a double serving today so I have some tomorrow as well.
  • FYI, these foods are symbolic because of traditional puns:

fish = 魚 = yuu2 (usually) or yuu4 (occasionally)
    if, as, according to, according to intentions = 如 = yuu4
    (note: this is written as jyu4 but they're weird so i just go with phonetically notating my own pronunciation)
    (fun fact: this character is part of Chihaya's name.)
    The reason you eat it before and after the new year is because you want to have things going your way every year.

lettuce = 生菜 = saang1 choi3
    grow =
    wealth = 財 = choi4
    so lettuce is a pun that sounds like saang1 choi4, or growing wealth.

celery =
    芹菜 = kun4 choi3
    diligent = 勤 = kun4
    so celery is a pun on diligence.
  • There's one more which I don't have right now.

髮菜 = faat3 choi3 = a vegetable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_choy
    發 = faat3 = producing, generating, fermenting
    發財 = faat3 choi4 = producing wealth

I guess I won't be producing that much wealth this year.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    tooooones

Cantonese tones are still odd to me
  • edited 2016-02-08 19:34:42
    lee4hmz said:

tooooones

Cantonese tones are still odd to me
    It's basically a context-based relative-pitch system of six tones, with three more that are like variants of the first six I think.

And then every word is a single-syllable sound where you get a choice of phonemes and a choice of tone.
  • Also, happy new year, everyone!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    A happy and prosperous new year to you Glenn!
  • edited 2016-02-16 22:30:27
    Listening to the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance soundtrack right now.

It's on the track "Law Card" right now -- the theme of the character who creates magical "law cards" that allow you to change the laws of the day that penalize/reward certain actions.

I remember trying to reimagine this character as some sort of game-changing gadgeteer/tinkerer who'd be the sort to help the protagonists chip away at and eventually compete toe-to-toe with the antagonist organization's technological/magical/etc. advantage in a story.  And trying to work (an expy of) him into the stories I was coming up with at the time.

I love it when I get to do that.
  • edited 2016-02-17 05:30:01
    Let's say you play a horribly-designed demo of a game.

Unproductive commentary:
    "This is a fucking piece of shit.  I can't believe you had the fucking balls to show this to anyone.  Go home and take it to your momma; maybe she'll give you a good job star for it."

Productive commentary:
    "Your hitboxes are not aligned with your sprites.  The controls are inconsistent; sometimes pressing right does not cause the character to go right, and same with pressing left.  The animations are also similarly inconsistent.  The fire spout damages when off, rather than when on.  There's no reason to have separate buttons for left and right attack.  And when you do that you also have a bug with this one enemy, which dies whenever you use a right attack even if it's on the character's left.  If you're going to require players to use the punch to defeat these armadillos you should give some indication that the sword doesn't work on them, and if you're going to make the punch limited in ammo make sure you give the player some indication that it is limited.  Finally, provide a game over screen for the player before going back to the title screen."

If your impulse is to provide unproductive commentary, please keep a lid on that impulse.

If you feel that providing productive commentary is not worth your time, please go away.
    If you feel that I am too politically correct to enjoy your expletives, please fuck off.
    The latter is usually termed "constructive criticism", i believe
  • I have no desire to categorically consume "geek media".  This includes, but is not limited to anime.

In fact, in my mind, there isn't even really a category for this.  This stuff falls in the same broader category as "non-geek media".

There may be some differences -- clearly, there are, such as that "geek media" tends to have much more in the way of speculative fiction -- but I don't treat these differences as inherent or categorically interesting.

okay, that's a really wordy way of saying "just because something's Star Wars doesn't mean I feel any connection with it (positively or negatively), and I'm totally okay with that"

(note: positively is like, being a fan of it, while negatively is like, "eww that's geeky stuff")
  • HH isn't a "wonderposting forum" in the sense that nonsense actually gets posted and enjoyed for being nonsense.

The "wonderposting" label is actually more like a self-deprecating label that allows for more comfort in what one posts in that it is not expected to be taken seriously.

What's actually the subject of most HH posts is conversation about random topics that people are interested in.

But nevertheless, they actually have topics.  Even if the topics are unknown to others.  As opposed to actually explicitly being nonsense and having no topic at all.
  • Idea for a videogame:

You are given a legendary weapon and are tasked with slaying twelve great beasts.  You are dropped into an area with twelve doors.  Behind each door is one of the twelve great beasts.

You slay the first one.  This is an easy affair.

You return to the hub.  Something's different.  There are now minor enemies present in the hallways.

You go to slay the second one.  It is no longer located right behind the door, though.  Now there's a hallway before you get to it, with minor enemies present.

You slay the second beast.  Seems the same as the first one, except there are minor enemies present in the arena.

You return to the hub.  Something else is different.  The locations of the two arenas you've been to seem to have shifted.  The hub area has been rearranged.

You find your way to the third arena.  You slay the third beast, though the arena is different and also contains minor enemies this time.  When you exit the arena, you find that you are nowhere near the hub, but instead now you have to navigate back to the hub.  The hub, too, is now a major area in its own right.

You explore the new hub, you find your way to the fourth beast's area, and you navigate through that area to find the fourth beast, whom you slay, amongst its minor minions.  As you navigate your way back, you discover there are many new traps, in its area and in the hub.

You find the fifth beast's area, and navigate past its traps to the fifth beast.  You defeat the fifth beast and its minions, but when you walk out of its arena, you find that the places you've been are now dark -- and also complex and filled with minions and traps, as before.

And so on.

• [21:09:34] <GMH> so since pathfinder can't use warlock because it's not ogc
    [21:09:56] <GMH> paizo should instead take the idea but redesign it from the ground up, call it "flight mage" or something, and basically create a danmaku protagonist class

[21:30:22] <GMH> let's see.  a class that focuses on dex for dodging.  d4 hit die?  Flight as an extraordinary or supernatural ability from the first level.  unlimited-use supernatural ability attack that does small damage, but can be used as a move action, and has medium or better range.  can gain one or more "spell cards", which are spell-like abilities that are limited per day (1/day for example) that deal area of effect damage.  alternative
    [21:30:22] <GMH> build gives it more durability (HP) at the cost of dex.  another level up option is literally called the "Option", which gives it magical pods that fire at the same (or possibly different?) targets/direction.  reduce/cancel movement to rearrange Options or focus their fire.  Shield (as in the spell) may be possible from using a spell card or perhaps as a ability from leveling?  bomb ability, might nullify all enemy projectiles or
    [21:30:22] <GMH> something, usable 1/day or possibly even #level times per level up.
  • one interesting thing about lagrin's main trio is how lan is a socialite (by necessity since she's a princess) and muginami is a social rogue (again by necessity given her upbringing) and then they both interact with madoka and madoka just automatically ignores their social cues because madoka just...operates totally differently
  • and this throws off both of them
  • so, in madoka's absence, they hate each other (early on at least), but add madoka in and madoka is able to smash the two of them together because she really doesn't give a damm
  • i forgot where i wrote up my siegrune/brynhild battle idea

aww
  • edited 2016-04-24 00:42:21

1. here's the problem: i don't like or feel i'm obligated to like daisy buchanan; i forgot who daisy buchanan even is

2. in fact i'm not remembering most of these character names

3. y'know i probably read the book at an age when none of this social commentary made any sense to me because i hadn't been sufficiently exposed to the subjects of that social commentary in the first place

* fabulous wealth
    * social posturing to get girls
    * the rich -- especially the old/established rich -- in american society
    * the "american dream"
    * parties and social hobnobbing
    * the social significance of alcohol (and prohibition)
    * wealthy parts of new york
    * etc.

all of these were concepts that basically made no sense to me at the time
    most of them still don't feel like they have much to do with my life even today though as an older and somewhat more worldly-experienced person i at least can bend my mind over backwards to think about them

but so basically this story is -- at least to me -- a bunch of much ado about nothing, basically

a lot happens, but it feels meaningless

i guess in some ways one could argue, yeah, that was the point, the point was indeed how meaningless and trash it all was

ironic, isn't it
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

There are literally eight characters, one of whom only appears twice, and four taking center stage (narrator Nick Caraway, ~mysterious~ Gatsby, racist Tom, and his wife and Gatsby's fling of some years ago Daisy).

• i'm not even sure asking whether someone/something is "great" is even a meaningful question

but yeah

i guess to really appreciate this social commentary you have to...well, be actively looking for said social commentary

it didn't exactly guide me to it

it was, at best, just sorta "yeah, it's there, go find it yourself"

now if you've got the right mindset to look for it in the first place...yeah, then it's a lot of fun and is a lot more meaningful

then again the same could be said of all narrative meanings and the searches for them
  • meanwhile i guess if you're looking for someone to relate yourself to

well, i dunno about you but i couldn't find that someone
  • Crystal said:

There are literally eight characters, one of whom only appears twice, and four taking center stage (narrator Nick Caraway, ~mysterious~ Gatsby, racist Tom, and his wife and Gatsby's fling of some years ago Daisy).
    and somehow here's all i remembered of them before the refresher:

* Gatsby is a rich guy who isn't the perspective character
    * some other guy is the perspective character
    * some rich girl that a rich guy likes
    * someone gets run over by a car
    * a green light
  • i forgot where i wrote up my siegrune/brynhild battle idea

aww

oh here it is

Siegrune and Brynhildr, from eXceed 2nd, reimagined as (S)RPG bosses

Siegrune is an inordinately playful little fella while her partner Brynhildr is a more serious, calculating person. They are low/mid rank warriors of the Deity's Church. As they're guarding their branch church and own little slice of home out in foreign lands, you'd expect them to do so pretty zealously, and they do.

Both start off out of range of your party, excepting long-range attacks. Siegrune being Siegrune, she moves first. Her first move is always Summon: Stone Blocks. Costing a whopping 50 MP (and increasing by 5 per subsequent use), it's pretty expensive even for her, but it drastically changes the battlefield: it produces five stone blocks that become destructible obstacles on the battlefield, in one of several fixed patterns. The first casting displays the animation, which also suggests a key feature of this summon: the stone blocks are dropped onto the field. While she is out of range of hitting you with her first attack, she will aim them at your characters on aubsequent attacks. Each stone normally deals damage slightly above that of an average weapon hit and displaces the target, but has a chance of dealing 90% of target's HP in damagewithout displacing the target, depending on how much of the target's hitbox it covers, the target's evasion, and whether the target has room to maneuver. A unit KO'd by being thus crushed by a stone block will have a destructible stone block obstacle placed on them, and cannot be revived until the block is removed. Of course, Siegrune knows this, and will attempt to use it against you.

Siegrune's other attack spell is Light Splash, which throws several holy-elemental magical projectiles into a cluster formation at close range. She also attacks using a holy rapier, and has a Life Share ability by which she can drain HP from or donate HP to Brynhildr. And she also has MP replenishing items. (The Church hasn't yet caught onto the fact that your team uses natural elemts of magic yet; later enemies and bosses will in fact prep themselves with elemental resistance items.)

Brynhildr meanwhile shares Life Share with Siegrune (meaning both can replenish each other's HP as they need to, and Brynhildr also has a unholy rapier on hand. However, she will spend more of the battle hanging far from the fray and using Shadow Snipe, an unholy-elemental long-range spell that deals pretty decent damage and good accuracy -- certainly better than what you'd have in long-range magic at that point in the game. She also has MP replenishing items, of course, as well as Shadow Burst, which is a short-ranged area-of-effect unholy spell centered on herself, which she'll use if she really needs to, since it causes knockback.

Brynhildr's armor is such that she actually takes more damage from holy attacks and less from unholy attacks, while Siegrune correspondingly takes more damage from unholy attacks and reduced damage from holy ones. It is unlikely that you'll have access to holy or unholy attacks at this point in the game, outside of having bought items that you can use (invoke) for magical reflection. Light Splash is reflectable, but not Shadow Burst nor Shadow Snipe. While Summon: Stone Blocks is powerful, and she can use it more than once in a row (thus generating many obstacles), Siegrune will preferentially use Light Splash as it is cheaper, since she can chain-cast it more than three (or maybe four) times in a row, while moving between the blocks as cover. Stone blocks can be reflected when they are first summoned, which results in the reflected block(s) being displaced away from the reflecter and onto a nearby viable spot, (usually closer to the summoner?), and also possibly onto an ally if you're not careful.

When they lose, they probably curse their not bringing healing items with them.
  • edited 2016-06-11 04:38:54
    Thou shalt worship all people who risk their accounts and give themselves hassle in order to upload works of art to YouTube, for they are taking the role of Prometheus, bringing the rest of us the creative fires of the gods at cost to themselves.

Treasure the fruits of their labor, for they do not arrive easily.

• Y'know, the kind of opining I do about entertainment works / fandom matters, with regards to issues of interpretation and canon, is probably similar to the precursors of people founding new religions over disagrements of beliefs.

After all, religions are basically like big fandoms (taken very seriously) anyway.

So let's do a little more crossing of the streams.

> "he Lord be with you." "And also with you."

This line, which occurs several times in a Catholic mass in a sort of dialogue between the priest and the congregation, is one of many that was re-translated from the Latin in recent years. Allegedly, this was done to more accurately match the original Latin text, as apparently the orignal English translation too quite a few liberties. This line was replaced with:

> "The Lord be with you." "And with your spirit."

There's just one problem with this.

I don't like it. It doesn't make sense to me. I prefer the original, which casts the priest in a human light, like the rest of us. Maybe the change was specifically because of this, in which case I disagree with the reasoning. So what if it's an official church doctrine. I feel the previous text to be more fulfilling.

Now I'm not actually Catholic myself so I can't really do anything meaningful about it, either spiritually regarding myself or socially regarding the church. I could imagine myself being a priest and having this one church that gets excommunicated from the Official Catholic Church Network or something, and then I'd myself in response subsequently excommunicate the rest of the Catholic church from what I consider to be proper religious practice, or something. Would make for an interesting story. Of course, the fact that I have little respect for this sort of authority is probably one reason why I'm not a Catholic or even a Christian in the first place.

Still, though, if you say to me "May the Lord be with you", I will respond "And also with you". Assuming I don't have some social reason to act otherwise.
  • Similarly, the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the U.S. properly goes as follows:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

During the moment when people say "under God", I consider myself free to say anything else that is reasonably fitting. "under heaven" was a preferred choice when I was younger, but these days I'm partial to "on this Earth".

I am currently (slowly) debating whether to change "republic" to "democratic republic". I'm leaning toward it.

The comma after the flag is merely an artifact of how it gets pronounced in every school. I might take it out since it's stupid.
    'And also with you' is what i'm accustomed to hearing, in a Methodist context.

i definitely prefer it.
  • Also N.B. "under God" was not even part of the original pledge of allegiance.
    Tachyon said:

'And also with you' is what i'm accustomed to hearing, in a Methodist context.

i definitely prefer it.

Maybe I should look into Methodism?
    Well, it couldn't hurt, and maybe you'll like it.

i think the kind you have in the US is slightly different from what we have over here, though.
  • edited 2016-06-18 20:09:54
    > live in intersection of Florida's 23rd U.S. Congressional district, Florida's 33rd State Senate district, and Florida's 104th State House district
    > it's a pretty small area geographically, just a few major blocks on the street grid
    > estimate without looking at a aerial photography view that there are about several thousand houses

> check actual aerial photography on Google Earth
    > count single-family homes just in one community i know
    > 100 is half of this tiny neighborhood that one can jog twice around in like twenty minutes
    > estimated 1000 nestled into this tiny corner between a major street and a major expressway
    > there's gotta be at least tens of thousands of houses

> not even counting condos yet

holy fuck.

that's a lot of people.

By the way, if you're curious where this is, go to Google Maps and do a Satellite View of the area around the intersection of I-75 and Pines Boulevard.  If you want the exact borders of each district, check these links:
    http://maps.flsenate.gov/de1/map.html?plan=s016s9030&amp;mapext=-80.39 25.995 -80.31 26.035
    http://maps.flsenate.gov/de1/map.html?plan=h000h9049&amp;mapext=-80.39 25.995 -80.31 26.035
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida's_23rd_congressional_district#/media/File:Florida_US_Congressional_District_23_(since_2013).tif

that last bit is a part of it but Vanilla doesn't know how to format that link correctly because it is a doofus
  • hey check this out!

http://www.ppines.com/index.aspx?NID=158

There is a mapmaking idiot somewhere in the Pembroke Pines city government.

They put the streets layer beneath the district shading layer.

That's why you can't see the streets in the district, even though you can outside the district.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    As a Surveying & Mapping student this makes me cringe
  • Eureka Seven needs one more thing to truly be more meaningful.

A Trapar powered chainsaw. You know I am right. :v
  • I actually like the show for what it is. I just like messing with you.
  • edited 2016-06-21 19:55:10
    I don't like having that much loot in games.

Unless you just can't acquire items any other way.

Like, Torchlight levels of loot is, for me, way too much.

I start hoarding and then after a while I run out of space and I'm like, wait what do I do with all these things.

Then I stop playing the game halfway through it.
  • I'm also not typically too hugely interested in character stat/skill building.

I don't replay stuff enough for that to be meaningful to me.

I just want that stuff taken care of automatically so I can get on with the game.
  • one possible cause of [?????] is that a lot of y'all here actually have other primary sources for creative media (read: you actually watch TV, read fiction books, read VNs, play games, watch anime, etc.) and so this discussion site is a place for secondary engagement with these works, while i've lately had little time to do these things so a lot of the media that's discussed here is my primary exposure to it
  • Odd.  I am more likely to think of the word "reorder" than the word "sort", when wanting to put things in a different order (e.g. put games in the Steam store search results in order of increasing price).
  • 14:41 - Quint the Globular Springtail: i watched two eps of Asterisk War and i don't hate it yet
    14:41 - Quint the Globular Springtail: except the yellow-haired girl
    14:42 - Quint the Globular Springtail: i think the base storyline so far seems a bit meh/predictable i guess
    14:42 - Quint the Globular Springtail: it's the same criticisms one could say of early RWBY's storyline, i'd say
    14:43 - Quint the Globular Springtail: the fanservice was annoying
    14:43 - Quint the Globular Springtail: the princess, taken at face value, seems like a bit of a nutcase
    14:43 - Quint the Globular Springtail: or madly in love an acting like an idiot, which is presumably plausible
    14:44 - Quint the Globular Springtail: she's probably the most interesting character
    14:45 - Quint the Globular Springtail: i've only seen two eps but based onw hat i've seen i think that, if not for the internet's attention to it, i'd probably just think this is a meh series with some interesting characterization
    14:45 - Quint the Globular Springtail: so my takeaway would probably be remembering those characters/characterization bits
    14:45 - Quint the Globular Springtail: also the aesthetic is pretty nice
    14:46 - Quint the Globular Springtail: the colorfulness, as well as some of the architectural details like the underground cafeteria
    14:46 - Quint the Globular Springtail: i suddenly realized i could throw that idea into this fantasy university i was coming up with
    14:47 - Quint the Globular Springtail: the actual premise of the show is proceeding in a really predictable way so far
    14:47 - Quint the Globular Springtail: as in predictable based on tropes

(replies from other person in chat have been removed)
    Claudia is my favorite aesthetically and was consistently my second favorite character, behind the princess/Julis. I'm not sure how you read her as a nutcase or madly in love in general so early on though, since those definitely weren't my takeaways from how she acts.
  • edited 2016-07-06 19:22:26
    Crystal said:

Claudia is my favorite aesthetically and was consistently my second favorite character, behind the princess/Julis. I'm not sure how you read her as a nutcase or madly in love in general so early on though, since those definitely weren't my takeaways from how she acts.

I've never met anyone in real life who actually behaves as unsubtly as Julis.  I guess you could chalk it up to "they show things like this in cartoons", but I don't think that's a valid excuse.

Meanwhile, Claudia is just being really obnoxious in trying to come onto Ayato.
    None of them felt very human to me, so I get where that's coming from, that was mostly confusion over the reading I think. Like, to me it was more "standard prideful tsundere" with an emphasis on pride to me.

And yeah she basically has two character traits, sexual and ominous.
  • doesn't really seem ominous so far, that might change though

ayato seems the most "normal human" of the cast so far, arguably

though they still focus too much on his being embarrassed by sexual situations, which is getting old quickly

meanwhile, deadpan girl so far seems to exist only for being comic relief
  • why does Idea Factory get all the money to do cool stuff, like port Fairy Fencer F sequel to PC, while worthier devs like Falcom have to struggle with the decision of how to handle PC fans because they jettisoned their PC division years ago
  • My tastes cut out the middleman.

Instead of wanting a male protagonist who gets the awesome girl as a girlfriend, I just want the awesome girl to be the protagonist.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Y'know, the kind of opining I do about entertainment works / fandom matters, with regards to issues of interpretation and canon, is probably similar to the precursors of people founding new religions over disagrements of beliefs.

After all, religions are basically like big fandoms (taken very seriously) anyway.

So let's do a little more crossing of the streams.

> "he Lord be with you." "And also with you."

This line, which occurs several times in a Catholic mass in a sort of dialogue between the priest and the congregation, is one of many that was re-translated from the Latin in recent years. Allegedly, this was done to more accurately match the original Latin text, as apparently the orignal English translation too quite a few liberties. This line was replaced with:

> "The Lord be with you." "And with your spirit."

There's just one problem with this.

I don't like it. It doesn't make sense to me. I prefer the original, which casts the priest in a human light, like the rest of us. Maybe the change was specifically because of this, in which case I disagree with the reasoning. So what if it's an official church doctrine. I feel the previous text to be more fulfilling.

Now I'm not actually Catholic myself so I can't really do anything meaningful about it, either spiritually regarding myself or socially regarding the church. I could imagine myself being a priest and having this one church that gets excommunicated from the Official Catholic Church Network or something, and then I'd myself in response subsequently excommunicate the rest of the Catholic church from what I consider to be proper religious practice, or something. Would make for an interesting story. Of course, the fact that I have little respect for this sort of authority is probably one reason why I'm not a Catholic or even a Christian in the first place.

Still, though, if you say to me "May the Lord be with you", I will respond "And also with you". Assuming I don't have some social reason to act otherwise.

according to @buttercupistiny it's to make it closer to the Latin
  • On one hand I'm kinda tempted to jump into arguments over Mighty No. 9's quality that are going on on its boards.

On the other hand, they're existing arguments with like 50+ posts on them and I would have to go dissect those posts before I could really say much of my own thing.  And besides, I really shouldn't be wasting [i]more[/i] time on the Steam forums.

Or arguing with fandoms/hatedoms in general, to be honest.  I'm already kinda annoyed that I get people messaging me mocking MN9 upon my playing it.  I'm already annoyed that this game even HAS a hatedom.

People expected this game to be "Mega Man, but extremely awesome, somehow", and they basically got a game with Mega Man's design sensibilities, which were never perfect to begin with.  They were enjoyable, though, but people these days are so freaking picky.

I guess the thing I really want to push back against is that pickiness.  This seems to be the common theme behind many of my recent opinions, regarding both the anime fandom and the gaming fandom.  Basically, "stop being so darn picky":
    * Sit down with a show and watch some more episodes and try to understand the characters and get a feel for the setting, before you dismiss it as trash.
    * Don't dismiss games as trash because you don't like their aesthetic.  Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean no one else does.
    * Be patient and give a game some time before you dismiss it.  It's tempting in this day and age when games are very widely and numerously available to try to pass judgement on a game very quickly to determine "the best" game, but all that means is that you skew your tastes toward instant-gratification games.
    * A similar thing could be said about TV shows, web series, and such.
    * Stuff that doesn't follow conventions of storytelling, animation style, game design, graphical design, etc. can still be appreciated.  There are also many different ways to appreciate something.  Just because it doesn't appeal to you now doesn't mean it will never appeal to anyone else (or for that matter, appeal to you in the future).