z;li;l o;ae;igah i;lei;g jaw;i ghe (GMH opines/muses about things)

Comments

• It's funny how I'm only checking Marvelous's forum on my phone because I have that one browser maintain the session cookies.  Anywhere else, the cookies die at the end of the session, and there goes my login, and then I have to login again on its slowly-loading frontpage.
  • pretty much some white kid

Don't worry, it's okay if you felt that Haruhi is pretty shit too something you didn't enjoy.

Tch!

Boring people who haven't realized how insignificant their time on this planet truly is.
  • edited 2015-12-22 18:03:33

Don't worry, it's okay if you felt that Haruhi is pretty shit too something you didn't enjoy.

Tch!

Boring people who haven't realized how insignificant their time on this planet truly is.
    I actually quite enjoyed The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

The reason I mentioned it is because I spoke poorly of Humanity Has Declined then someone said that HHD is "one of the best comedies in this decade" then I compared it unfavorably to Haruhi, which I praised.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    So did i. :p
  • Tachyon said:

So did i. :p

you didn't do the part that a ninja edited into my post
    no, i did not
  • The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later.

insert pun on Heavy Object here

• i don't get the notion of taking a break

break time means that i get to not worry about one thing so i can worry about something else
  • edited 2015-12-22 21:31:43

i don't get the notion of taking a break

break time means that i get to not worry about one thing so i can worry about something else

explanation: the school's career services office is closed for winter break, but this is when i actually get to sit down and try applying for some jobs through the school's job board.  doing so requires the submission of documents (e.g. resume) and subsequent approval of said documents by the career services office.
  • take vacations when no one else is taking them

then the roads aren't clogged and the airfare is cheaper and the hotels will let you use coupons
  • A "political" opinion is one that is held in a certain way.

In general, opinions on issues are held with a certain open-mindedness to change.  If there's a better, more accurate, more logical/reasonable, more appealing, or more useful position, people generally will change to it.

However, this does not apply to "political" opinions.

"Political" opinions -- so-called because they are generally found on the topic of controversial political issues -- are much more resistant to change, at least in certain directions.  This is because, unlike with most other opinions, there is a strong element of distrust against anything that would change those opinions.  This distrust suspects potential opinion-changing information of being:
    * dishonestly provided in order to advance an agenda
    * possibly false
    so in other words, a presumption of bad faith.  Alternatively, a lack of a presumption of good faith.
  • 8. [url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960]Path of Exile[/url]

I've heard a lot of praise for this game, but what I'm seeing here is basically like a higher-def Diablo.  I've been playing through Torchlight myself, and I'm wondering, how is this different?  Perhaps it might have some more interesting things like camera rotation?

I'm also a little curious how they do the "free to play" aspect of this game.  Because it seems like they have an extensive single-player campaign, and PVP and co-op seem to be features on the side, at least as implied by the trailer vids.  I mean, I guess I kinda appreciate the gesture of making it f2p, and I appreciate their commitment to never go pay-to-win, but it does make a little skeptical.  I presume it's just gonna be a bunch of cosmetic equipment, or having more frequent drops?

Having "hundreds of unique skill combinations" is a nice thing for some gamers, but not for me, since I almost certainly won't spend the time to discover all of them.  I like settling into builds that work in ways that I enjoy, and then I just stick with them and make them work.

The game's visuals look...decent, though not spectacularly appealing.

Should I hit Not Interested or simply hit Next?
  • Path of Exile's entire progression system is pretty different than Diablo's and there are more viable builds per class than in Diablo.

If you don't like Diablo you won't like it, but if you do you probably will. It wears the influence on its sleeve.
  • I actually haven't played Diablo...

I have played Torchlight though.

I'm about halfway through the game, I've collected too much loot and it's becoming a burden to clean out my less-valuable loot because I'm too much of a hoarder.

I'm a completionist so I also do all the sidequests.

It's enjoyable, but I don't think I'm going to play this more than once through.
  • I actually haven't played Diablo...

I have played Torchlight though.

ok

you should

really play Diablo 2 if you liked Torchlight even a little bit

PoE is free, you can pick that up anytime.
  • come to think of it i don't think Diablo 2 has shown up on GOG or Steam
  • it hasn't shown up on those platforms because Blizzard uses their own launcher.

if you insist on being old-fashioned you can still buy it in box sets with the expansion pack in....well, a lot of places. I see it at KMart constantly.
  • Jane said:

it hasn't shown up on those platforms because Blizzard uses their own launcher.

jerks

• 9. [url=http://store.steampowered.com/app/397340]SimplePlanes[/url]

Ooh, this actually looks pretty interesting.

I admit my first thought is reproducing that Ace Combat plane with an iDOLM@STER paint job.  I wonder if it allows paint jobs.  Well, modding is a thing....  Meanwhile, the line about flying with a missing wing makes me think of Star Fox 64.

The reviews seem to say that this is a flight sim with the emphasis on plane design and physics.  It's certainly a novel and interesting thing, and I could imagine it being like Lego but with plane parts.  It seems like it's still being actively developed, which is a plus especially in light of what seems to be relatively sparse content aside from lots of plane designs, and slightly "arcadey" physics.

I'm not going to take the plunge just yet, as I'm not sure how much time I can dedicate to this, but I almost want to put it on my wishlist.  I wonder if I should.
  • heartburn
    n. political
    A phenomenon that occurs when someone on your side, especially a high-profile someone, badmouths your side.
  • Great Mentioner
    n. political
    A facetious entity that floats names of potential candidates for any given official position. It basically represents the aggregate hivemind of politically-knowledgeable locals and election geeks thinking of what people might be interested in running.
  • it's funny how i normally say "ask what problems a videogame has" and i usually find it more meaningful to query the faults of a thing but i recently found myself looking at an anime series i was interested in and asking someone to tell me what its good points are.
  • edited 2015-12-24 16:15:46
    Things we've uncovered about my taste in anime: To some extent I probably pick series that have some bright colors and look like they're neither smut nor school comedy, and then go watch them and find some interesting thematic/philosophical meaning in them. Or if I really didn't enjoy them I just move on and forget they exist until someone else mentions them.

Sometimes I can be convinced by the setting/story premise, but sometimes knowing about it and hearing how ridiculous it sounds turns me off to it, so it might be best to not read about that.

Extrapolating that to games, it's that "accidentality" that suggests that reading/talking too much about a game might make me lose interest in it too.
  • edited 2015-12-24 19:29:01
    No, that's not a kids' thing.  It's a human thing.

No, that's not a guy thing.  It's a human thing.

No, that's not a black people thing.  it's a human thing.

No, that's not a lesbian thing.  It's a human thing.

No, that's not a Jewish thing.  It's a human thing.

No, that's not an Indian thing.  It's a human thing.

No, that's not a rich people thing.  It's a human thing.
  • The purpose of a mathematical formula is that, once you can corner the situation and account for all the assumptions, and as long as you math correctly, you are absolutely 100% guaranteed that whatever you're doing will produce the right answer.
  • Things that are not the same:
    * black carbon
    * carbon black
  • A commodity that has inelastic demand in the short run but elastic demand in the long run, such as gasoline prices, behaves like a shear-thickening non-Newtonian fluid.
  • edited 2015-12-28 05:33:03
    Freedom Planet's Carol Tea could be used as a face for promoting conservation of the Scottish wildcat.
  • The best way to present a "poker face" is to not give a fuck in the first place.
    can't read my, can't read my, no they can't read my poker face
  • VERSION A: fewer linebreaks; longer but fewer paragraphs:

Not just love interest, but friends, family, hometown, homeworld, etc..

I'm just tired of it being stated that way.  The motive of wanting to act in defense of something else is itself fine, but I guess I've just seen it too much lately.

And yeah, sometimes it feels condescending.  Like, "This is my destiny because it just is".

It's justifiable if the protagonist is sufficiently young, I guess.  Like, 13-year-old boy meets 13-year-old girl, falls in love with her, she barely reciprocates his feelings but he thinks he's going to be the shining white knight.  It's silly, in a way, but justifiable, because that's entirely plausible behavior for a 13-year-old, especially one entrusted with an awesome superpower and who's seen various hero stories growing up.

Also, it's not limited to male characters.  Female characters can do this too.

Mainly, the problem is basically making a grand statement of "I'm going to protect [person/thing/etc.]" as an intention, rather than as a means to an end.

VERSION B: more linebreaks, shorter but more paragraphs:

Not just love interest, but friends, family, hometown, homeworld, etc..  I'm just tired of it being stated that way.  The motive of wanting to act in defense of something else is itself fine, but I guess I've just seen it too much lately.

And yeah, sometimes it feels condescending.  Like, "This is my destiny because it just is".  It's justifiable if the protagonist is sufficiently young, I guess.  Like, 13-year-old boy meets 13-year-old girl, falls in love with her, she barely reciprocates his feelings but he thinks he's going to be the shining white knight.  It's silly, in a way, but justifiable, because that's entirely plausible behavior for a 13-year-old, especially one entrusted with an awesome superpower and who's seen various hero stories growing up.  Also, it's not limited to male characters.  Female characters can do this too.

Mainly, the problem is basically making a grand statement of "I'm going to protect [person/thing/etc.]" as an intention, rather than as a means to an end.
  • Tachyon said:

can't read my, can't read my, no they can't read my poker face

brooklyn rage
  • SUPER GIGA MECHA NESBITT
  • jinzo has the power to destroy internet memes
  • edited 2016-01-01 09:15:04
    So I was going to type up a mock presidential speech to celebrate the new year and also litter it with weird and/or HH-specific jokes/references.

Was going to do something like make a comment about "regardless of sexuality or species".

Unfortunately I ran into writer's block.

Here's as far as I got:

My fellow heapers,

Today, we stand at an important time in our lives.  We are entering a new year, carrying with us our hopes, dreams, and aspirations.  But despite the best efforts of humankind to forget our checkered past, our fears, worries, and troubles are still a part of our lives.

However, the most important thing we must realize today, is that while our past may have come and gone already, our future still lies ahead of us, and has yet to be shaped by our actions.

So as we move forward into the new year, let us take a moment to reflect on our pasts, and a second moment to ask ourselves what we want our future to be.  I am confident that

Anyway, happy new year, y'all.

Fun fact: While writing this I couldn't get Omaba's New World Acid Trip out of my head.
  • Somewhere in the list of geographic names that I have learned only from reading about downballot U.S. politics is "Iron Range".

It's a part of Minnesota known for its iron ore mining.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

Somewhere in the list of geographic names that I have learned only from reading about downballot U.S. politics is "Iron Range".

Duluth, Superior (WI) and all that, I suppose?
  • lee4hmz said:

Somewhere in the list of geographic names that I have learned only from reading about downballot U.S. politics is "Iron Range".

Duluth, Superior (WI) and all that, I suppose?
    I don't know the geography up there very well...but I think it's in northeastern Minnesota, roughly.
  • edited 2016-01-07 05:12:56

Arnold Arboretum
    The Arboreutm [sic] is a beautiful 265-acre park filled with over 6000 labeled varieties of trees, vines, and flowers.  "No bicycling or picnicking, except on Lilac Sunday in May." On most days, simply walking through the park and taking pictures can fill hours.  Hours: Weekdays 9-4, Sat 10-4, Sun 12-4.  Admission: free.

My Freedom Planet reference opportunity senses are tingling.
  • If a person is completely unfamiliar with a story, presenting them a spoiler actually doesn't matter, since they will have no context in which to place it.
  • edited 2016-02-03 16:28:11
    Several people were given paper bags containing their lunches.

The first person took 'eir lunch out of the bag, and proceeded to partake of it. The bag did not exist in their attention after that.

The second person took 'eir lunch out of the bag, then discarded the bag to the wayside.

The third person took 'eir lunch out of the bag, partook of it, then discarded food scraps and used food containers that came with the food into the bag. The bag, with its new contents, was discarded into the trash.

The fourth person couldn't or didn't want to finish 'eir lunch, and reused the bag as a means of carrying the food to another location, for future consumption.

The fifth person partook of 'eir lunch, finished it, and then discarded food waste within used containers such as wrappers, and threw those wrappers into the trash, then discarded the paper bag into a recycle bin.

The sixth person did the same thing as the fifth person, except 'ey retained the paper bag for future reuse.

The seventh person did the same thing as the sixth person, except 'ey reused the paper bag once, then reused it again and again, either for holding food or for holding some other item that 'ey preferred to put in a bag, until the bag becane too dirty with food (usually by a single random mishap) or too beat-up from repeated use. Then the bag was discarded into the recycle bin.

The eighth person did the same thing as the seventh person, except the beat-up bag was then used as one of the following: container for other recycling items, scratch paper, packaging padding, makeshift gloves for handling something dirty/disgusting/allergenic/sharp, etc.
  • edited 2016-02-04 02:49:05
  • edited 2016-02-05 07:19:18
    Pokémon Crystal 1.1
    Emu Edition 1.3R

Condition for completion: Acquire all 251 pokémon records in pokédex.

Possible conducts:
    * Starter (or evolution of starter) must be highest-level mon in active lineup and PC.  If not, higher-level mons may not be used until starter has been leveled up to the highest-level mon's level.
    * Starter must be part of first team to beat each major opponent (gymleader, elite, rival, etc.).
    * HM moves cannot be taught to "HM slaves" -- mon receiving HM move must be used as part of a regular team.
    * Must begin game during real-life daylight morning hours.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Pokémon Crystal 1.1
    Emu Edition 1.3R

Condition for completion: Acquire all 251 pokémon records in pokédex.

Possible conducts:
    * HM moves cannot be taught to "HM slaves" -- mon receiving HM move must be used as part of a regular team.

Wow, how inefficient for most effective moveset management to not have an HM mule. Gosh. :p
  • edited 2016-02-07 02:14:21
    Perhaps I was wrong to look to a world of vividly colorful and vibrantly voiced characters to have a fanbase that would appreciate that sense of bright optimism that they bring to me.

No, I don't want monotonically bright optimism.  There is a time for brightness and a time for darkness.  There needs to be a balance.  And that's what well-written stories are for.

However, I didn't say that there was a time for dirty-minded sarcastic oh-so-meta oh-so-cynical criticalness.
  • edited 2016-02-07 02:20:22
    other potential conducts:

* Do not use TMs.  Movesets may contain only moves that a mon has by default when obtained, learns on level up or evolution, has as a result of breeding, or learns from HMs.
    * No stopping evolution.
    * No stone-evolving mons early if that severely limits their potential movepool.
  • edited 2016-02-07 05:32:56
    While looking for a YouTube Poop to watch, I happened on a YTP series called "Cold".  In it was the following line:

Do you wanna build a snowman?

With posting that line, I watched the song clip from the movie Frozen.

With watching the song clip, I realized that Elsa had ice powers and found her character conflict interesting and decided to read about Elsa on the Frozen wikia.

With reading about Elsa on the Frozen wikia, now I'm starting to get interested in seeing the movie.
  • edited 2016-02-07 05:41:51
    It's possible that this happens "randomly" because I don't talk things like movies with people and as a result I don't get interested in stuff at the same time.

Maybe it's a good thing since I really feel it's a personal thing when something like this happens.  Like a personal interest, and a personal satisfaction from exploring the topic.  Rather than doing it in response to peer pressure in the form of hype.

Yes, hype is peer pressure.  And it's annoying.

Also, release day movie tickets (and games, etc.) are expensive.