The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• IF I would ever make Nightcore

I'd call myself Pink Cocaine

because that is what this genre sounds like

• edited 2012-05-08 00:07:26
    i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

i like utah, it's nice

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    treasure cocaine zestpoole
  • edited 2012-05-08 00:21:40
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    Oh hell, it looks like That Place I'm Not Supposed To Talk About has a page on it, and I never knew.
    FYI, the moratorium expired today and was just changed to be a more relaxed rule about not talking about TVT policies/bans/general drama.

Which is good, because it still counts as talking about it even if you don't say the name. I mean, it wasn't a moratorium against the words "TV Tropes" :p
    I was being facetious. I know the moratorium expired.

I'd still rather not mention it too much.
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind
    SO GUYS DIDJA HEAR ABOUT TV TROPES -shot-
  • ...oh. 

Well, as I mentioned, the temperature has bumped my usual amount of derpiness up a level. So...

• edited 2012-05-08 00:26:42
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    OH joy of joys, I get to go to my Granny's tomorrow. :P I hate going there because it's out of the way, parking's a bitch, and she's a complete moron when it comes to technology -- if you don't do it for her she will get confused.

The problem? She put her fancy new HDTV on the tuner instead of the HD input (I'm not sure if my aunt has it wired for HDMI or component), and trying to help her over the phone is no help at all because she doesn't know what button to push. :P And if she can't see her Christian shows and Fox News, she'll whine like Rarity until she can. :(

I really wish they still made TVs with turret tuners, so we could just put the damn thing on channel 3 and leave it there. It'd save a whole lot of trouble, especially if she decides to fiddle with things.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...so you can't tell her what button to push, or do you not know how it's set up?
    Trying to help someone with technology over the phone can be frustrating, but sometimes funny. I had one customer who didn't seem to realize that you have to put the disc into the computer in order to install the software.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Ouch.

I mean, some of my grandparents are technologically inept, but they know a thing or two enough to atleast program a VCR/etc.

...Mainly cause they read directions. XD

Anyway, I hope you have fun though, lee.
  • Program a VCR?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I do know what button to push, and I told her, but she said it didn't do anything and then reported that the TV "somehow" turned itself off. Which means she either pressed the wrong button, or she was trying to gaslight me. 

I AM NOT COMING TO FUCKING ARLINGTON AT FUCKING MIDNIGHT AFTER I ALREADY HAD A LONG DAY AT WORK JUST TO PRESS ONE BUTTON, GRANNY, I'M SORRY. :P
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

I've done technical support over the phone before. I learned how to deal with handling people on these issues by forcing them to accept a linear approach come hell or high water.  When I was in the military this actually wasn't a problem because that's what we did anyway.

You'll get people who follow your instructions from point A to point B to point C to the final step.  And then, there's the people who like to anticipate where you're going and go one step ahead.  Usually they'll inform you that "well, I went ahead and did _x_."  At that moment I nicely and patiently inform them to undo everything they've done and start all the way back over at square one.  Some of them get huffy about this and that's when you inform them that you're guiding a person over a phone and you can't see what they did, and by jumping ahead you have no idea where they went, so back to start. Some people require this to happen several times in one call.

A VCR was a sort of stone age YouTube, Naney.
  • I know, but program? What do you program a VCR to do?
    Record certain shows at certain times.
  • edited 2012-05-08 00:41:40
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Now, see, people that can actually follow directions and aren't actively trying to trick you I can deal with. I do phone support with customers all the time, and it's kind of a pain, though I admit WebEx helps. With Granny, though...she can be kind of an attention whore sometimes, since she gets lonely, and if you offer help she'll play dumb instead of just saying "I don't want phone support, just come over here and fix it". It's annoying.

And yeah, it used to be that programming a VCR was really obtuse, as you had to do it through the front panel, and the instructions weren't always that clear (in a situation where it was an engineer's interface and they needed to be, too). The nicer VCRs with on-screen display actually let you do it through the remote! :lol:
    *pats lee* Ah, I see.

Yeah, depends the person and all.

Some people can't honestly understand it well enough over the phone and needs to be physically shown, to be fair.
    ...I think I like Stephen Arnold's Extreme again.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    STEPHEN ARNOLD'S EXTREME

Saturdays at 9

only on The S&M Network
  • i wish to come up with a song lyric for this signature, but no song lyrics are coming to mind

drop a bass

you're paying for that

But what about Evolution?
    CLOCKS DESTROYED 3/1000
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Stephen Arnold's Evolution

now on display at the Center for Discovery

Get your tickets today!
    NO SQUID SHOULD HOLD THAT MUCH POWER
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Good morning Heapers.

I am tired and I can't go back to sleep, so I may as well get up.  (I think I have a cold.)
    *hugs Fouria G* Ouch!
    Hi Fouria.
    I should get to bed. 'night guys.
    I should go as well, if I don't want to be as upset at work tomorrow as I was today, anyhow. Later!
    Hello Bobby, Good night Space and Lee.
    EuFouria
  • edited 2012-05-08 01:09:26
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Hi AU and CA.  Night, Space and lee. *hugs Irene back*

^ Well, I am in the EU.  Hello Imi.
    And I decided to stop being a baby and told her I was back. Hopefully things will be less tense now.
  • Pass 6: 31% defragmented.
    So, I should've gone to bed by now
    Instead I'm sitting here on the HH, listening to Morbid Angel and thinking it's a bit too warm in this room.
    I have breakfast, and some tosser has stolen my tea towel.  I bet it was the Christian Union.

And apparently AJ is your pony, Imi?  So I don't have a pony no more.
    AJ being my pony is old news. Ever since I attempted to force "20 stalks? Bean or celery?" to be a catchphrase.
    Hmph.

The KX100 is now my pony.
  • Pass 6: 79% defragmented.
    Ponyta. :P
    We could always share a pony. I have no moral opposition to polyamory.
    [obligatory "more like PONYamory"]
    My Little Heapers: Friendship is NSFW.

...Meh.
  • I hate iTunes.
    I dislike iTunes as well.