The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    baka baka
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Alex Trebek's final episode will air on December 25th

I am going to have to make a point to watch it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    YouTube is broken
    always has been
  • I broke it sorry
  • thanks for breaking it
  • wait, it's not broken anymore

i blame you
    why is it that i can install linux in a virtual machine in 3 minutes but installing a new version of windows on my actual laptop takes like 15 minutes
    i realize that in the grand scheme of things it is extremely petty to complain about an operating system installation taking 15 minutes when there was a point in my lifetime when such things literally took hours

but i am feeling petty and irritable at the moment
  • recently my windows screwed up for ome reason and to get it to work properly again i had to do like the most thorough reinstall possible, like the one it advises u to do if youre gonna sell or throw away the laptop and it took like 10 hours lol

laptop worked fine afterwards tho
  • i still have no idea what went wrong with it, windows just straight up wouldnt load and none of the usual fixes worked, not even a regular reinstall
    In 500 meters, your destination will be on the right
  • in 500 meters' ticks
    Continue following Centralia Route 37 for 10 kilometers. You are on the fastest route despite some traffic.
    I don't actually use turn-by-turn navigation for the most part, and most of my family members only use it when I'm not around

My mother always used to brag to her friends that I have "a map in my head", as she always phrased it

I have enough of a mental map of Central Ohio to not need satellite navigation for the most part, and when I venture outside Central Ohio, I just look at a map before I leave and commit the directions to memory

I'm not, like, actively looking down on people who use turn-by-turn navigation, of course, but my ability to navigate without it is a point of pride for me because it's basically the only superpower I have in real life
    I also manage to confuse my friends and family members a lot of the time, because instead of saying something like "turn left on Main Street", I'll say "go west on Main Street", and they'll be like "what the hell, which direction is west??"

Like it's not my fault your brain and my brain work on different coordinate systems, jeez
  • edited 2020-11-18 19:50:44
    I've noticed this same disconnect between me and my mom.  I have a mental map, and sorta see myself driving myself on a screen, and so the most natural thing for me even in the absence of a set of directions is to have some idea of where the streets are and just try to turn any which way to gradually approach my destination, since I know where it is.

I'll look at Google Maps before going somewhere, sketch out a map of the major streets and intersections, enough for me to remember where my destination is, roughly, and I get going.

My mom on the other hand does not do what I do.  Like you described, she uses turn-by-turn navigation.  When she goes to Google Maps, she remembers the set of instructions and ignores the map; In contrast, I ignore the instructions and remember the map.

This becomes a problem when I need to give her instructions.  I don't remember "turn left on Broward Blvd. then turn right on University Drive then turn left into plaza immediately", so I have to translate into that format from a format that is more like "destination = Broward Blvd x University Drive, SE corner; I am currently at Flamingo Rd x Sunrise, to the NW, so I need to weave SE across major streets to get there".
    As far as my family is concerned, if I'm in the car, I'm giving directions

Even before I had a driver's license, I had, on multiple occasions, managed to secure exclusive front passenger seat rights on family road trips by insisting that the "navigator" has to be up front to see where we were going

My status as "the navigator" kind of became formally-sanctioned as far as family road trip were concerned
  • That said, before I knew the map around me, I did actually use turn-by-turn navigation, which did give me a problem.  The community I once lived in has two semi-major roads running through it, connecting three of the four streets around its major block to the little subdivision neighborhoods inside it.

These two semi-major roads do not run straight.  They curve left and right at various points.  However, I assumed those curves canceled each other out, meaning that, after entering from one outside major road, going straight down one of these semi-major roads would get me to another major road parallel to the one where I was before.

That turned out to be entirely wrong.  The two major roads at the endpoints of this semi-major road were actually perpendicular to each other.  The one I assumed was perpendicular was the parallel one.
  • navigator you say

makes me think of 'Flight of the Navigator'
    that, is a movie
    I'm going to transcend to a higher plane of existence for a little while

Jane is in charge while I'm gone
    have funz
  • edited 2020-11-21 23:48:32
    Edit: This deserves its own thread.
  • this post dserves this thread
    I'm back, btw

Turns out the higher plane of existence doesn't have spicy chicken tenders

So I decided not to stay
    "Alice, that's just the exact same joke as Gawr Gura saying she won't go back to Atlantis because they don't have French fries"

Yeah, well, I never claimed to be original
    There may be nothing new under the Sun, but nobody says you have to stay within this solar system
  • is it bad that i know who gawr gura is
    Yes, Glenn, it's bad that you know the most popular English-speaking vtuber after hanging out on a forum full of unabashed weebs :P
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Yes, Glenn, it's bad that you know the most popular English-speaking vtuber after hanging out on a forum full of unabashed weebs :P

Most popular VTuber full stop, at this point.
    more popular than dog girl?
  • edited 2020-11-23 21:08:42
    Me:  Is bored.
    Me:  Checks out a book on Ancient Egypt.
    Me:  Finds paragraph about obscure god Henti who is mentioned as being represented by two crocodiles, and may or may not be a form of Osiris.
    Me:  Hmm, I wonder how it would be pronounced, if the last syllable rhymes with the last syllable of "plenty" or if the last syllable rhymes with the last syllable of "Manti", is it hen-tee, or hen-tie.
    Me:  -realization that some poor researcher/student has probably gotten in trouble for searching for "Henti" at a public/school library-.
    Me:  -realization that the same person probably got in trouble for looking up Isis-.

I don't know how much has changed on this front since 2003, but when I was a freshman in high school, nobody seemed to care at all how I used the Internet or what things I searched for.

Like, there was a content filter, of course, but there was no particular punishment for tripping the content filter. You just said "Oh, that site's blocked" and moved on.

(The time I remember repeatedly hitting the content filter was when I was searching for a PalmOS blackjack game for my PDA. Every site that offered one was blocked as "gambling", even though no real money was involved.)

In retrospect, I think the adults in my high school had a bit too much faith in the content filter, because, like...those were trivial to bypass even for a child.
    Celeste (then going by Marcy) once went on an extended rant about Internet content filters and nanny software that logs your web browsing, and how my parents' insistence on using such software totally destroyed any semblance of trust between me and them, but...eh. That's a topic for another time.

Suffice it to say: How the fuck is a queer child supposed to have room to explore their identity if every website they look at is logged and sent to their parents?
  • edited 2020-11-23 21:23:14
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

more popular than dog girl?

Gura has 1.43m subs, Korone has 1.09m.

(Gura was the first Hololive member to hit 1m subs, and the 3rd VTuber in general, after Kizuna AI and Kaguya Luna, who both debuted in 2017. Well, December 2016 for Kizuna AI, but close enough.)
  • My parents just told me that computers could get viruses from bad websites, and that viruses could also spread by email and from computer to computer (also, that viruses are easier to fix if you find them early, so if you think the computer has one, tell Mom STAT, before it spreads to her work computer).
  • I'm still scared to mess with the security settings on just about anything.
    I went to high school online, so our computer room had two computers: the family Windows PC, and the school-provided Mac that I used for, y'know, classes

My brilliant mother was looking through the AOL settings one day, and found out there was a parental control option, so she enabled the really intrusive logging thing on the family PC

Then she acted shocked when I stopped using the family PC and instead started doing all my casual browsing on the school computer, where I very easily figured out how to bypass all the content filters

It eventually became a moot point when we got broadband and I just started using the Internet whenever I liked instead of having to ask permission to dial in for a certain amount of time
    Incidentally, random casual web browsing while I was supposed to be doing school work is how I discovered TV Tropes, so, uh...my life has changed in a lot of ways thanks to that little bit of ADHD behavior
  • Incidentally, random casual web browsing while I was supposed to be doing school work is how I discovered TV Tropes, so, uh...my life has changed in a lot of ways thanks to that little bit of ADHD behavior

same lol
    when I was in high school the internet was just barely becoming a thing, at least as far as the general populace was concerned
  • edited 2020-11-23 23:08:31
    when i was in high school the students had just discovered that they could emulate games on school computers

we still had dial-up at home
    My mom was kind of computer-obsessed in the '80s and '90s, so we were kind of early adopters

When I was like 5, she worked for CompuServe, and was allowed to work from home, so they gave her a computer to set up in our apartment and I was allowed to play on that when she wasn't using it. So...I've been on the Internet in some form or another since 1995.

It's actually kind of funny, because at some point she stopped caring about the technical side of computer stuff and nowadays she's the kind of person who needs her Millennial children to walk her through updating the operating system on her MacBook
    ...you were on the internet before I was. That doesn't seem right. Well whatever
    When I say I was a child of the Internet, I mean it quite literally.
    *offers the next person a refreshing bottle of Liquid Confusion™*
  • where am i, what is this and why do i feel so refreshed?

This will never not feel absurd to me

I remember when a 6 GB hard drive seemed like a huge amount of storage