The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Absolutely: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/eye-cancer/

And thanks.

I hate it.
  • the tale of a girl going on a search for waffles and tiddy is one of the most relatable in video games
    damn...I never knew.

Is there any part of you that can't get cancer?
  • damn...I never knew.

Is there any part of you that can't get cancer?
    anything that isn't alive or doesn't have DNA
  • the tale of a girl going on a search for waffles and tiddy is one of the most relatable in video games
    my soul, then, for it is dead
  • apparently tvtropes turned Awesome McCoolname into "Awesome McCool" Name

that's fucked up, man
    alas
  • “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
    they even used straight quotes instead of curly quotes

what fucking year is it

we were supposed to have replicants and blade runners this year!

and cars that look like this
  • I'm very disappointed that we don't have cars that can go 600 MPH and casually flip over and go on driving after hitting obstacles.
  • I'm disappointed that nobody ever combined adhesives, wireless button-doing-thing-ability, and small speakers to make a device that you attach to things that you frequently misplace and then press a button and then the thing you are looking for makes a sound, and then made it a commercial product.

I think it would be a neat non-industry-ruining product, a sticky-out-note.  You know, because it makes a sound so that the thing will stick out from all the clutter, and it sticks like a sticky note, and you use it to remember and be aware of things like a note.
  • “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” – Roald Dahl
    I think those exist, actually, though I'm blanking on brand names. @calica might know...
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tile is the one I have, though it has a hole in it for keychains rather than an adhesive.
    melons
  • Also sup
    supple
  • Three games I’m excited for over the coming months:Fire Emblem Three Houses, Pokemon Sword/Shield, and Tales Of Arise.

They are all JRPGs.

I have a problem.

A problem that my bank account isn’t big enough.
    How much are games these days?

I ask, as someone who doesn't buy games
  • expensive

thank god they’re not all released at the same time
  • “His thoughts were red thoughts, and his teeth were white.”
    *sleeps on the floor of the thread*
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

*sleeps on the floor of the thread*

hi
    careful not to step on the ferret
  • edited 2019-06-17 23:18:03
    Just wait twenty years, and then you can buy it for a dollar at a yard sale.  That's how I got SimCity.
  • Time machines would so turn like every other economic principle inside-out.
    My self of 25 years ago would have been in absolute awe of the possibility of having every NES, SNES and Genesis game on my computer....but that's what I have now.
  • Neat, I'd like to have all of those games on a computer.  How do I get them?
    Not legally, but Google is your friend in this case.
  • you can legally have them on your computer, by buying all the cartridges and putting them in a box and then putting the box on your computer.

I'm not sure the computer would be usable after that though
  • Not legally, but Google is your friend in this case.

I'll stop you right there, I ain't criminal scum.
    I won't pay no court no fine, nor serve no sentence.
    My non-stolen games will not be forfeit!
    This is probably a reference I'm not getting.
  • This is probably a reference I'm not getting.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

The game with the So Awful It’s Hilarious character creation

• before usedness to being an adventurer like you, there was stopping criminal scum right there
  • also back in the day, games were the size of entire british isles
  • ...you know, it's sort of stunning how much i know about games i have never played
    oh
  • I played a bit of Oblivion, and my character is a Goth(TM) archer who's out for blood. 

Not unlike my Skyrim character, who is a pyschotic mage who's out for blood. 
  • edited 2019-06-20 23:44:42

also back in the day, games were the size of entire british isles

That's Daggerfall you're thinking of.  Oblivion is much smaller.  And I think that Daggerfall might be, like, 60-90 percent as many square miles as the British Isles (at least from my dimly remembered internet searches from 2018)

I don't think anybody ever detailed a game world as big as what you're suggesting without procedural generation or other random-generation stuff.  That's like, Idaho big (well, Idaho-in-silhouette.  Actual Idaho is three-dimensional, and if its hills and mountains were flattened so as to make it flat, then it'd be bigger than any of the continental 48 if they were flattened).
  • Aliroz said:

also back in the day, games were the size of entire british isles

That's Daggerfall you're thinking of.  Oblivion is much smaller.  And I think that Daggerfall might be, like, 60-90 percent as many square miles as the British Isles (at least from my dimly remembered internet searches from 2018)

I don't think anybody ever detailed a game world as big as what you're suggesting without procedural generation or other random-generation stuff.  That's like, Idaho big (well, Idaho-in-silhouette.  Actual Idaho is three-dimensional, and if its hills and mountains were flattened so as to make it flat, then it'd be bigger than any of the continental 48 if they were flattened).

Yeah, I was riffing on Daggerfall.

I don't think all of that area is actually filled with as meaningful landscape as the British Isles in real life have, though, of course.
  • edited 2019-06-21 01:03:27
    Well, that would have simply been impossible with the technology they were making Daggerfall with, in the time it took them to make Daggerfall.

As is, Daggerfall is still remarkable as a technical achievement and as a pile of bugs.  My favorite description of it is something along the lines of "I think the creators had a time-travelled vision of Skyrim, and then they made a cargo-cult version with more moving parts than the real thing".
    Idaho makes me think of potatoes and Jumpingzombie.
  • Speaking of games based on the British Isles, how about that new Pokemon game?
  • IJBM: when my credit card expires, the bank mails me a new one. Aside from the security code and expiry date, all the information is identical to the old one. Why then does every website that has my credit card info saved insist that I re-enter everything rather than just updating what's changed?

I'm half expecting the answer to be "well, in the US you get a new credit card number and also a new name and address when your card expires, so they designed the system with that in mind".
  • > in the US
    > also get a new name when your card expires

lolwut

But yeah the real answer is the security code and expiry date.